Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 3572

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4267092 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal investigation rumbles onward
« Reply #7410 on: June 07, 2017, 12:26:12 pm »

The notable point is that the core team behind this also does psy-ops against third world nations to help corrupt leaders, and now they're using the same methods against the populations of UK and US, complicit with the new alt-right media barons but also some tech billionaires in Google, Facebook, Uber etc.

This goes a lot deeper than just saying a few people gamed google searches, they're gaming society itself. Reputable media being unsearchable has an exponential effect, people don't follow news they can't read, therefore it doesn't get linked, and then you end up with an ecosystem where the new portal sites such as Facebook dictate what is news.

Facebooks "personalization" of news is actually more insidious than it sounds. They can filter only progressive/moderate voices to a smaller and smaller group of people, and before you know it, most people are in fact getting Alt Right News and you're not even aware of it, because what's replaced newspapers has different headlines for everyone.

They can sell this as freeing and personalizing things, but it is in fact the perfect way to take over a society. People who read CNN and nytimes can be kept in their bubble while the right wing message is rolled out to an increasing large number of people, all the while they can assure us that they're only a "fringe".
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 12:30:13 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7411 on: June 07, 2017, 12:33:28 pm »

We have a nominee for FBI director.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-to-nominate-christopher-wray-as-next-fbi-director/2017/06/07/a3cf7790-4b78-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html

I can't really find much about him overall, other than the fact that he directed a lot of fraud investigations in the 00s, and was Christie's attorney.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7412 on: June 07, 2017, 12:38:59 pm »

Filter bubbles are neither new, nor an exclusively right-leaning phenomenon. It, like most things, is not a Russian conspiracy to sow chaos in western democracies. The only organizations responsible for any bias in those tools are those who build and maintain them in the firsf place, and you don't need to look very hard to see where tech companies' political leanings go.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7413 on: June 07, 2017, 12:40:32 pm »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/trump-to-nominate-christopher-wray-as-next-fbi-director/2017/06/07/a3cf7790-4b78-11e7-a186-60c031eab644_story.html
I can't really find much about him overall, other than the fact that he directed a lot of fraud investigations in the 00s, and was Christie's attorney.

Wikipedia says:

"In 2003, President George W. Bush nominated Wray as assistant attorney general in charge of the Criminal Division of the Justice Department. Wray was unanimously confirmed by the Senate. Wray was assistant attorney general from 2003 to 2005, working under Deputy Attorney General James Comey. While heading the Criminal Division, Wray oversaw prominent fraud investigations, including Enron."
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7414 on: June 07, 2017, 12:44:55 pm »

That's interesting that he used to work for Comey back when he was a deputy AG.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7415 on: June 07, 2017, 01:09:01 pm »

the funny thing about the trump propaganda machine article is that if you change names and pics, you can literally reverse it on main-stream media. i don't dispute that breitbart, dailywire, etc. are part of the right-wing bullshit machine, but the MSM bullshit machine exists too. media outlets copy-paste sensational stories from each other, either for clicks or to push an agenda. it's all BS these days, just different types.

basically what i'm saying is, as a former trump supporter who now doesn't bother, we're in a cold civil war and nobody has really figured out what tactics to use yet.

edit: yes i read the article. no i'm not trying to deflect from the system gaming. but this is to be expected, the right and the left are at war now.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7416 on: June 07, 2017, 01:28:39 pm »

Wikipedia says:

"In 2003, President George W. Bush nominated Wray as assistant attorney general in charge of the Criminal Division of the Justice Department. Wray was unanimously confirmed by the Senate. Wray was assistant attorney general from 2003 to 2005, working under Deputy Attorney General James Comey. While heading the Criminal Division, Wray oversaw prominent fraud investigations, including Enron."

To think that there was a day where relatively competent people could get confirmed by the Senate unanimously.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7417 on: June 07, 2017, 01:33:55 pm »

I just sort of assumed he was going to nominate like, a hobo or something, but yeah this guy seems relatively ok.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7418 on: June 07, 2017, 01:42:20 pm »

Filter bubbles are neither new, nor an exclusively right-leaning phenomenon. It, like most things, is not a Russian conspiracy to sow chaos in western democracies. The only organizations responsible for any bias in those tools are those who build and maintain them in the firsf place, and you don't need to look very hard to see where tech companies' political leanings go.

Neither I nor the articles blamed the Russians for this.

The "core team behind this" I was referring to is the one discussed in detail in the articles, a UK based PR firm that does work for third-world crooked politicians, as well as the UK/US right, that has links to a number of right-wing silicon valley billionaires. They're probably only the tip of the iceberg but they had a big hand in a lot of the recent stuff. Saying things like "russian trolls are manipulating media" is actually a smokescreen.

I agree, the Russians were doing a few things but that fixation is to hide the fact that the manipulators were closer to home. The Russians couldn't overthrow normality unless someone on the inside also wanted to overthrow normality. Foreign pressure is normally about pushing over a house of cards.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 01:48:09 pm by Reelya »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7419 on: June 07, 2017, 01:50:32 pm »

Full article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_A._Wray

He is a partner with the same law firm that Dan Coats (the Director of National Inteligence), though I don't know how much interaction with Dan Coats he had in the past.

Wikipedia says:

To think that there was a day where relatively competent people could get confirmed by the Senate unanimously.

Even so, the hearings are going to be especially brutal due to the circumstances that Comey got fired under. His involvement with the Bridgegate scandal might become an issue. Both sides will definetly probe at all sorts of things. On the surface of it, he doesn't seem particularily controversial in any way, and the fact that he used to work with Comey may reassure Democrats.

And apparently key Senators learned of the announcement via Twitter.

I just sort of assumed he was going to nominate like, a hobo or something

lol

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7420 on: June 07, 2017, 01:54:14 pm »

I don't have a problem with the bridgegate involvement, because he was just the lawyer. He got hired, did his job, and that was that (from what I can tell).

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7421 on: June 07, 2017, 02:13:36 pm »

The "core team behind this" I was referring to is the one discussed in detail in the articles, a UK based PR firm that does work for third-world crooked politicians, as well as the UK/US right, that has links to a number of right-wing silicon valley billionaires. They're probably only the tip of the iceberg but they had a big hand in a lot of the recent stuff. Saying things like "russian trolls are manipulating media" is actually a smokescreen.

I agree, the Russians were doing a few things but that fixation is to hide the fact that the manipulators were closer to home. The Russians couldn't overthrow normality unless someone on the inside also wanted to overthrow normality. Foreign pressure is normally about pushing over a house of cards.

One thing I really dislike about this targeted ads kind of things is that politicians can now serve different narratives to different people without you knowing what they promised to other people.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7422 on: June 07, 2017, 02:19:51 pm »

Some articles on the ongoing, highly organized right-wing misinfo campaigns: https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/06/how-the-trump-russia-data-machine-games-google-to.html
Related, and also linked within:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/may/07/the-great-british-brexit-robbery-hijacked-democracy

In summary: The true dangers of unregulated corporate surveillance, machine learning, and ad-tech are here, and are being exploited by the wealthy to flip governments in their favor.

Actually yes, they repeatedly did (also that first article is Pravda-tier, and lel the Leave Campaign campaigned to influence the result of the Brexit referendum toward Leave who'da thunk it?), but that's not the issue here.

Exactly, a smokescreen. But it's not necessarily for a wider conspiracy, whether you think that's globalist or nationalist subversion. The situation has been progressively degenerating for the average person, and rallying people against an external enemy is much easier than shaking up the political order of the Western world.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7423 on: June 07, 2017, 02:33:18 pm »

, and you don't need to look very hard to see where tech companies' political leanings go.

...Generally right-wing, like most companies do?
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7424 on: June 07, 2017, 02:42:12 pm »

, and you don't need to look very hard to see where tech companies' political leanings go.

...Generally right-wing, like most companies do?

You mean left-wing.

*proceed to discuss the difference between American Left and Right wing vs European Left and Right wing*

In all seriousness, in general, yeah, companies tend to be right wing (because business), but they can just as easily be anywhere on the political spectrum.
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 [495] 496 497 ... 3572