Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 3563

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4157013 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump fires FBI Dir. Comey, sheneinighans abound
« Reply #6570 on: May 21, 2017, 01:29:26 am »

I am more concerned for the citizens of Saudi Arabia.

It isn't like the US hasn't funded totalitarian regimes that abuse their power and abuse their people before.

Yeah, like Saudi Arabia.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: May 21, 2017, 01:34:18 am »

You know, I said this about Obama its only fair to say it about Trump.  What he did in this case was awful but its only status quo.  Still going to complain, but not going to pretend this is anything unique to Trump.  The only thing I'd say that's unique to Trump is that he's blatantly untrustworthy to handle the Syria sabre rattling, I'd much prefer an even hand for that.

I feel like our current Middle East policy could be described as borrowing money to get out of debt.  Fund Islamic extremists to counter the soviets, Islamic extremists do 9/11 so we attack Iraq to restore our image, Iraqi remnants make ISIS.  And the Russians are still in the Middle East.  We solve our problems by doing the same things that created our problems.  Then again our government's economic policy is literally to borrow money to pay off our debt, so maybe I'm expecting more than they're capable of...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:50:13 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: May 21, 2017, 02:24:41 am »

I remember when we found out that China had built a giant network of compromised computers all over the world (this was years ago).  I've always wondered if I'll live to see governments declassify information about their electronic warfare agencies; right now its all very hush hush.  Its always interesting to see what the CIA did but at least we know generally what the CIA and other intelligence agencies are like.  Electronic warfare post internet is uncharted.  Surely the US government does employ hackers for intelligence and military purposes, but how many?  How much do they cost?  Where do they work?  What's their objectives and methods?  How have we stacked up against other big powers?  Were we on the defensive or the offensive?  It'll probably be 30+ years until we get to hear any of this from the governments themselves.  To be clear I'm not talking about governments vs private citizens.  I mean what does it look like when governments quietly try to infiltrate each other's computers over the internet.

The kind of sad thing is that what Russia did this election is *classic* hacking.  Brute force attacks and viruses and stuff like that, "real" hacking, is hacking yes.  But so is calling customer support and pretending you lost your PIN.  Crawling the web for election related news articles and then making sure the first comment on every one is anti-Hillary, that's pretty much the same concept.  Its a low tech, low cost way to hack Google.  Worse, to hijack the message of news articles themselves.  But since most people don't understand what small time hackers are like, they think that the election hack doesn't resemble "real" hacking.  Real life hacking ain't Neuromancer and people would be wise to realize that.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: May 21, 2017, 02:50:51 am »

Related, Time recently published this article on it: http://time.com/4783932/inside-russia-social-media-war-america/

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: May 21, 2017, 03:09:16 am »

This makes me hate FB for having the most awful algorithms.  They hosted so many shitty news sites that would never have been linked on any other major social media network.  The FB feed is pure cancer right now; click on the same kind of thing 3 times, and suddenly your entire feed is that one thing and then ads.  Plus FB (probably to make up for its ads having a reputation for being much worse than Google at actually finding interested costumers) allows you to target your ads *way* too granularly.  There was a guy who used single targeted ads to play a prank on his paranoid friend, it went on for months and ended up costing like $3.  Absolutely idiotic, the only reason FB is still alive is because they're so inherently hard to replace.

I mean obviously that's not my first thought on the article.  My first thought is that's worse than I thought and terrifying.  I sincerely hope democracy doesn't turn into countries flinging propoganda at each other from across oceans.  The only consolation is that the effected demographics seem to be the less tech savvy ones?  So maybe this will turn into like banner ads where eventually most people can ignore most targeted propaganda and the world's marketers have to think of some other trick.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: May 21, 2017, 08:26:05 am »

It's not really the fault of algorithms, I saw a ted talk with an interesting take on the whole Russian cyber-ops thing, a lot of what they've been targeting is not only digital weaknesses, it's meat puppet weaknesses. People's minds are much more hackable than devices and can't easily be patched to the latest version. We're so caught up in securing hardware that we forget to think about the big picture of the human space, which is where the real battle is.

Basically, you take an idea you want to spread, and you attach it to an idea that people want to hear, in a way that makes it so you can't remove the payload without breaking the meme. Then meatspace will spread the idea for you. Algorithms and rankings are secondary to that, there will always be ways to exploit crowds of people.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 09:18:54 am by Reelya »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: May 21, 2017, 10:50:44 am »

TL;DR: It's generally going to be easier to wait for someone to open the door for you than to try to pick the lock.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: May 21, 2017, 06:50:58 pm »

Incidentally, the biggest* part of what we're talking about now is what was called "memetics" in back in the days when cyberpunk was about the future. It's also heavily used for marketing. The other part is what has been known as a con for much longer. Calling it hacking isn't exactly wrong, but it's less specific and is, in my opinion, expanding the term to cover more than it meaningfully ought to. Though if we're being purist about things, a brute force attack isn't really a hack either.

*in relation to how much it impacted the election

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: May 21, 2017, 07:09:31 pm »

Incidentally, the biggest* part of what we're talking about now is what was called "memetics" in back in the days when cyberpunk was about the future. It's also heavily used for marketing. The other part is what has been known as a con for much longer. Calling it hacking isn't exactly wrong, but it's less specific and is, in my opinion, expanding the term to cover more than it meaningfully ought to. Though if we're being purist about things, a brute force attack isn't really a hack either.

*in relation to how much it impacted the election

If we're being purist, all this would fall under the heading of "cracking" (malicious) rather than "hacking" (for curiosity's sake)... Let's not argue language purity... it never goes anywhere good.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: May 21, 2017, 07:11:22 pm »

I still use the word memetics in that sense, and I often forget that most people don't understand what the word really means.  It's one of the most important concepts to understand in the modern world, in my opinion.  Or even beyond the modern world if you remove the social context, since the fundamental laws of the universe are mostly rooted in the travel and evolution of information.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: May 22, 2017, 05:50:10 am »

Heh, tourists aren't too happy with Trump's visit to Israel. To ensure the safety of Trump's visit to the Wailing Wall, the Old City of Jerusalem has been completely sealed off from the public. Hotel guests staying in the area were ordered to leave their hotels early in the morning, and are not allowed to return until late in the evening. Yesterday they had already been ordered to keep the windows and curtains of their hotel rooms closed and not look outside.
So though luck for tourists who came to see the Old City today. Nothing to see here, move along.

Dayum, Israeli security services are not about doing half work.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: May 22, 2017, 05:53:12 am »

I actually find it interesting that one reason they are funding Saudi Arabia is for a POSSIBLE war with Iran

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: May 22, 2017, 08:19:59 am »

So uh... this is weird, right?

Like, seriously?

You wanna talk harnessing the power of memes, lads, there you go.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: May 22, 2017, 08:39:14 am »

What even is that orb?

Also that Saudi looks so much like a caricature of a jew there. His PR people should tell him not to hunch his shoulders.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 3563