Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244116 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Admittedly the MOAB was probably more effective at collapsing deeper caves than a ton of smaller bombs would have.  Though I'm sure the (pointless)escalation and show of power was part of the reasoning to use it. And yes I do believe this is the first combat use of the bomb.  Otherwise it was just tested a couple times in my home state at Eglin.

It was brought to the Iraq war and readied for deployment but was not used if I understand correctly.  Probably because the war was officially over practically overnight.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:42:08 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

Prior to today, the MOAB was never dropped in combat. It was dropped in a test once.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

I don't doubt this was a political decision, especially considering how recently the cruise missile strike happened.

My read on Trump is that he legitimately wants to complete his campaign promises, and he's going about it checklist style.  My guess is that he would consider draining the swamp and deporting immigrants to be a green check mark, and repeal + replace to be a red x mark.  "Bomb the shit out of ISIS" is next on his list I guess.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, certainly. But this really is the next worst thing to tactical nuclear weapons, or WMDs in general, I suppose.

You're exaggerating. Yeah, it was 11 tons worth of TNT, but thats still peanuts compared to nukes. A B1 can carry two MOABs or if not, 2 MOAB's worth in smaller bombs. Even an F16 can carry about 2/3 MOAB's worth of bombs.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_gk49n5djw

That's the test drop of the bomb for those interested.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile

A comparison.

The MOAB has far less theoretical power than the Hiroshima bomb, but the same blast radius.  Nukes have gotten deadlier since Hiroshima, but since those haven't been dropped on cities yet that's mostly an academic point.  Everyone's idea of a nuke is based on Hiroshima, not the horrors that modern weapon could inflict.

Nukes are cited as having huge explosive payloads but most of that payload is wasted on heat and light and radiation.  If we upgraded the MOAB to have the same power as a nuke, it would be a truly apocalyptic explosion.  This is because its delivery method is much more efficient.  The flip side of this is that the MOAB doesn't have nuclear fall out, so it is very much less deadly than any modern nuke.

So, I dunno.  It does seem kinda similar to a nuke honestly.  Imagine if we had 9k MOABs, that would still be enough to wipe out every city in a given nation.  Even if they are 100x weaker than a true nuke, they have the advantage that they AREN'T nukes, so they get past the treaties.  That's the scary bit for me.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it was easier(or at least cheaper) to level a city with bombs and phosphorous, than with a nuke, in ww2...

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it was easier(or at least cheaper) to level a city with bombs and phosphorous, than with a nuke, in ww2...

Only because you can write off the entire cost of the Manhattan project on only 3 bombs in WW2. Nukes themselves are really cheap.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Well... No. Nukes are highly expensive. Not necessarily as expensive as the sheer quantity of aircraft and conventional explosive needed to destroy a building by bombing, but plutonium and fusion medium don't come cheap.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

Overhead is the most expensive I'd think. For every nuclear weapon facility, you need an extra army division to protect it, be it from military assault, from falling into the wrong hands, from sabotage or from local politicians.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

Nukes themselves are really cheap.
How would you measure this? Maintenence? Opportunity cost? Market value?
Let's hope no one gets nervous enough to try a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US.
I strongly doubt that this is the case. There are five legal nuclear powers. Three (America, UK, and France) can be ignored. That leaves us with two: China, and Russia. Based on news reports, China is actually surprisingly happy with Trump thus far, showing himself as a man they can deal with. They talk in terms of money, which Trump understands. I'd be more concerned he tries to sell out the Koreans or something, honestly. The Chinese are adept at soft power, and have shown themselves to be reasonable, if increasingly assertive in their backyard and across the globe. China and Trump will not get into a nuclear standoff unless North Korea falls. Russia is interesting because no one knows what's going on between DC and Moscow. From a practical POV, however, Putin likes deniability. Nuclear exchange is not deniable. And given NATO on the Russian border, surely he's mindful of the risks of direct military confrontation.

There are also the illegal nuclear powers. India seems unlikely to do so out of the blue. Pakistan seems unlikely for similar reasons, as well as the fact that if they use a nuclear weapon, India is likely to respond (same goes if India uses it). Either way, Pakistan is not actually able to launch a strike against the US, because it's range is limited. Wikipedia states that their limit is 2750 km, which isn't enough to hit Hanoi, let alone Los Angeles. There's Israel, but... it's Israel. Israel is not going to nuke its patron. Either way, Israel needs to conserve its nuclear weapons to maintain the ability to use the Samson Option, which would become a very pressing issue if they attacked the US. Finally, there is North Korea. North Korea is probably not able to launch a nuclear strike against the US at this time (certainly not reliably), and has closer targets anyway.

Given the US operates ABMs, I'm not immediately concerned. It's everyone else who should be concerned.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile

Nukes themselves are really cheap.
How would you measure this? Maintenence? Opportunity cost? Market value?

The cost of a nuclear weapon is very complicated to measure. While the reactor needed to transmute the uranium into plutonium is rather expensive, such reactors are usually also used for power generation, which can largely offset the cost of the reactor. This makes the fissionable byproduct "free" from a certain point of view, and the actual work of building the warhead isn't much worse than building any other precision-manufactured device.

More importantly, nuclear warheads have such immense destructive power, and such immense diplomatic effect, that they're cheap at any price. Possessing even one makes a country a Power, and renders them almost immune to direct attack.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

Does Russia have ABM capability on par with the USA?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

Nukes can also have an EMP effect when detonated in the atmosphere, which is devastating to enemy communications and electronics for miles.

Can't get that with conventional bombs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 08:00:15 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile

Let's hope no one gets nervous enough to try a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US.
No one will ever be that nervous, it is literally triggering the end of the world because of nervousness, you only pre-nuke when you can take out the target without retaliation, we spent the Cold War making sure that could never happen.
Pages: 1 ... 323 324 [325] 326 327 ... 3569