Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4244112 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/13/523704631/first-african-american-female-judge-on-new-yorks-top-court-found-dead

That is a incredibly suspicious event.
We're literally discussing this on this very page.

A very prominent black Muslim woman, who has been an extremely prominent liberal voice on the state's highest cout, had died under very mysterious circumstances. With the current social and media environment, suspicions that she was murdered to silence minority voices could very easily spread like wildfire if the investigation team isn't very careful.
Ok, and?

I mean race riots don't just happen out of nowhere. There's no indication this is foul play or something, and if it was, rioting wouldn't exactly help now, would it? I'm just surprised at how easily there is an expectation of violence. Race relations may not be great, but they're not so much on a knife edge that just the death of a minority judge on somewhat suspicious circumstances leads to violence. I mean even if it was murder, who did it? If the police or government were somehow involved rioting would be likely, but a white surpremacist would, at most, lead to peaceful protests standing in solidarity. At most. But like, why even protest? Probably not even a protest, maybe a march of some sort. At most.

I mean we had a white supremacist travel up here very recently and kill a black man. He was arrested and life moved on. I don't think the city is so conspiratorially minded as to be concerned about every death unless police brutality is involved. For all we know it's a mafia thing. Or nothing at all.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

U.S. drops "mother of all bombs" in Afghanistan, marking weapon's first use.

When did USA planned to exit Afghanistan, again?

I dunno, did they name this one "Operation Mic Drop"?

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Oh boy howdy. That is not a good sign. The MOAB has a higher explosive yield than some nukes, if they start throwing this thing around it's going to get interesting.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile

Apparently they had to collapse a cave network. Is there any picture of the blast? Also, the yield is "only" 11 tonnes of TNT, hardly comparable to nukes.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

W-54 tacnuke had a theoretical minimum yield of 10 tonnes. :V The thing stayed around in some places until the 80s.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

If by hardly comparable you mean exactly inside the range of a Davy Crockett, which explode for something in the region of 10-20 tons of TNT... think that was ninja'd, anyway. Suffice it that it's a explosive power that's very much comparable to low end nukes.

Interestingly (?) some GOP politicians stumped with using tac nukes (i.e. as small as possible) on certain national actors, such as Iran. Similarly, Trump questioned publicly why nukes were effectively off the table, and iirc Putin has expressed willingness to go that far (if perhaps not further into full power nukes) as well.

... won't lie, now that y'all bring that up and I start think about it, the use of a MOAB suddenly seems potentially rather more ominous. Because if this is a prelude towards desensitizing the population regarding very heavy ordinance as a build up to using nuclear for limited military engagements...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

W-54 tacnuke had a theoretical minimum yield of 10 tonnes. :V The thing stayed around in some places until the 80s.

So, y'know, pretty tiny on the scale of cold war era explosives.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

Oh, certainly. But this really is the next worst thing to tactical nuclear weapons, or WMDs in general, I suppose.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's worse than hitting the cave system with thermobaric weapons? Or spending a bunch of Afghani lives to clear it out with blood?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

*nudges the apocalypse clock a little closer to midnight* I ain't sayin' it is, but we might not be able to rule out a maybe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

ITT: weapons that go boom are a thing and are ocasionaly used for things.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile

As far as I know, MOAB is thermobaric.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile

If they had collapsed these caves with a dozen smaller bombs it's unlikely anyone outside dedicated peoples who follow the war blow-by-blow would've even noticed it. There's no material difference between using one bomb and several to collapse the cave, not to mention that the ISIS garbage inside for sure had it coming. If anything this is preferable since we got it done in one sortie instead of several, and saved the trouble and lives that would've been required to clear them out from the ground.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

I don't think it's the first time the US used the MOAB. If I recall correctly it was used in either the first or second Iraq war as well, multiple times even.

Still, this really is not good. If Trump starts making a habit of using extremely heavy weapons at unexpected targets, in countries they're formally not even present anymore, it will make a lot of foreign heads of state nervous. Let's hope no one gets nervous enough to try a pre-emptive nuclear strike on the US.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 322 323 [324] 325 326 ... 3569