Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229810 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Russia scandal evolution edition
« Reply #3810 on: March 22, 2017, 02:16:25 pm »

Occasionally reading bits of commentary on it, but watching, no. Tbh I... don't really want to hear him speak. Or watch the hearing itself, since I'm pretty certain I'd end up pissed off and knowing no more of substantial import than I already did.

Though to be fair, that's pretty standard for me for most things political or judicial. Listening to the people involved in that stuff talk tends to be more trouble than it's worth. Much prefer to read at leisure. Might look up a transcript at some point if the blighter gets the confirmation, though. Those tend to be both less annoying and over with quicker, heh.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:18:23 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: March 22, 2017, 02:24:43 pm »

There's not much going on. The only two types of questions being asked right now are how Gorsuch would rule on current cases, and Gorsuch saying he won't answer such questions; and asking him to comment on his previous decisions. As I listen he's defending his decision to allow access to a sweat lodge outside the prison (under guard) for a Native American prisoner convicted of murdering his daughter on grounds of religious freedom, and whether or not GPS tagging a person's car constitutes a search under the 4th amendment. It's worth a watch/listen, though I do admit I didn't jump in until BBGtC mentioned it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: March 22, 2017, 02:29:24 pm »

It might be worth noting that outside the hearing itself, apparently the SC just (I think actually concurrent with the hearing itself) unanimously struck down a decision made by gorsuch (primarily involving whether it was okay for education to basically fuck disabled students sideways, which gorsuch ruled in favor of doing, to very roughly summarize what I noticed in passing), ha.
Ask not!
Ask!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: March 22, 2017, 02:35:39 pm »

What did he say about warrantless tagging of cars?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:15 pm »

Mattis apparently doesn't know how to play ball. Well, it was nice while it lasted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: March 22, 2017, 02:39:55 pm »

Edit: I misread. Here's a good summary of his history on the issue:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/02/us/politics/neil-gorsuch-supreme-court-fourth-amendment.html?_r=0
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 02:42:50 pm by Baffler »
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: March 22, 2017, 02:41:00 pm »

He's currently kind of waffling on contraception bans, he's falling back on respect for jurisprudence.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: March 22, 2017, 02:41:53 pm »

Mattis apparently doesn't know how to play ball. Well, it was nice while it lasted.

Time to quote my favorite satirical article ever, again
http://www.duffelblog.com/2013/12/general-mattis-crosses-potomac-100000-troops-president-senate-flee-city/

Of course, I'd say that it's too early to say that Mattis is losing his ballgame just yet. If he decides to dig in his heels, the Republicans would have to be pretty ballsy to try to remove him.

Unconstitutional. He's pretty good about 4th amendment stuff in general, it seems.

That's nice. 
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:03 pm »

Highlight of the day: That AP article on Manafort? It just got shadow-censored down to a tiny stub apologetic to the Trump administration.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pwnzerfaust

• Bay Watcher
  • It's evolution, baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: March 22, 2017, 02:42:09 pm »

He's currently kind of waffling on contraception bans, he's falling back on respect for jurisprudence.
Wait, why would anyone support a contraception ban?
Give an elf a fire and he's warm for a night. Drop an elf in magma and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:52 pm »

Religion, mostly.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:10 pm »

Here's a link to a mirror of the original article on Manafort. No idea how long it will be good for. https://goo.gl/b3Vfk0

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: March 22, 2017, 02:53:22 pm »

Of course, I'd say that it's too early to say that Mattis is losing his ballgame just yet. If he decides to dig in his heels, the Republicans would have to be pretty ballsy to try to remove him.
On one hand, the Republicans at large have no power to remove him now. Trump's non-recognition of political capital is an even further obstruction, and means that he probably can afford to piss in every bowl of corn flakes on DC.

However, this is also in light of the fact that all Trump has to do is read about knife hand memes one day and decide to fire him. It's hardly unprecedented for cabinet secretaries to suddenly be put out in the cold, and we all know how much Orange Slice likes firing people.
Wait, why would anyone support a contraception ban?
It's not unkosher on the right, although admittedly a lot of people can talk shit since SCOTUS declared contraception first a marital right and then a general right about 50 years ago and so they don't have to back it up.

Reasons you'd support it:

-Religious doctrine
-Ethno-nationalism
-Extreme natalism
-States' rights doctrine
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: March 22, 2017, 02:54:23 pm »

Here's a link to a mirror of the original article on Manafort. No idea how long it will be good for. https://goo.gl/b3Vfk0
Actually looks like the full thing is back, now that I checked again. Definitely saw the initial change, though. Wonder exactly what's up with that...
Ask not!
Ask!

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: March 22, 2017, 02:59:37 pm »

It looks like some bizarre mistake. I found the 'replacement' article word for word here, and it doesn't seem to appear anywhere else though very similar stories do.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/03/22/white-house-distances-trump-paul-manafort/
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 3567