Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245579 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2880 on: February 28, 2017, 07:55:05 pm »

I believe it was meant to be sarcastic.  But wasn't clear.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: February 28, 2017, 07:56:10 pm »

If it was some form of sarcasm, I certainly missed it. Sarcasm doesn't show accross the internet medium very well.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: February 28, 2017, 08:00:46 pm »

It... it was more or less completely at odds with everything pttg'd been talking about previously (and almost the entirety of the critter's previous posting history), and a pretty direct mockery of the "weaken the EPA over fairly minor inconvenience" position being presented/flanderized. Also a blatantly false caricature of enviro science folks. Not sure how it didn't come off as sarcasm...

E: Though I guess that means it's time for the biannual* reminder of the sarcasm font. Georgia. Love it, live it, regularly forget it exists. Just like the state, except lovable and livable.

*Disclaimer: Not actually biannual.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:05:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #2884 on: February 28, 2017, 08:15:51 pm »

Whatever the reason was, I utterly missed it as sarcasm.

Here's a Vox article with talking points that he will supposedly cover during his speech, if anybody wants to look.

It's not your fault that the national discourse has reached the point where satire is indistinguishable from earnestness. For the record, my earlier comment was sarcasm.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: February 28, 2017, 08:17:49 pm »

If it was some form of sarcasm, I certainly missed it. Sarcasm doesn't show accross the internet medium very well.
I don't know many people who would claim that scientists intentionally invent fake science just to annoy people. You must be hanging with the wrong crowd if that doesn't ring sarcasm for you.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2886 on: February 28, 2017, 08:20:40 pm »

Well, not just to annoy people. But fake science has been a call from the anti-environment/deregulation crowd for a while, if perhaps not always that bluntly termed. If you can't generate legit science/evidence for your own stuff, all that's really left if you're not going to change your tune is to delegitimize the real stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: February 28, 2017, 08:25:23 pm »

I certainly know that biologists and ecologists around the nation support the EPA solely because it annoys farmers. I was just talking to my professor, and he told me that aside from ranting at returning veterans about how god doesn't exist, his favorite activity is inventing fake science in order to support the EPA so as to ensure that farmers are occasionally inconvenienced.
You're funny. I take it you do character stand-up?

Edit: looks like you do.   Sorry, just that little 'earnest' for me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 08:27:39 pm by Starver »

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: February 28, 2017, 08:35:51 pm »

How could anyone hear "My professor said his favorite hobby is ranting at returning vets that their god is a lie" and not instantly twig that it's satire I have no idea. Even when the far-right say that kind of thing they don't mean it literally.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »

I've met people who literally do that for fun. Not specifically veterans, but I've had coworkers whose idea of a fun Sunday is to stand outside of churches with a megaphone or a box of homemade "Dawkins Tracts".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2890 on: February 28, 2017, 08:51:05 pm »

I'm afraid (@dorsi) I've heard stuff just too similar to that, said sincerely (or at least intended to be taken as sincerely).  My alternate reaction would have been to call 'em out for outright lying, or generously grant them the benefit of the doubt that they may have misinterpreted something else through a strong personal bias.  In this case, I was probably unsure-enough to moderate it down to a sort of semi-sarcastic reply of my own. I definitely should have read further (or back!1), though, before doing so.

1 I haven't really got a ready recollection for PTTG??'s normal 'voice' in my head, with all due apologies. I might have been less ready to twig to the wrong end of the stick if I had.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: February 28, 2017, 08:59:13 pm »

I've met people who literally do that for fun. Not specifically veterans, but I've had coworkers whose idea of a fun Sunday is to stand outside of churches with a megaphone or a box of homemade "Dawkins Tracts".
And people say I'm the euphoric one...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2892 on: February 28, 2017, 09:11:32 pm »

The big difference, in my observation, is that people tend to accuse liberals of inventing fake or junk science to reap those sweet government research grants.  I don't think anyone actually claims to know one that does it for real, much less one that brags about doing it.

<sarcasm>It's so easy to believe that liberals are secretly doing stuff like that, I guess.  After all, Conservapedia tells me that deceit is a common character trait among liberals, and it seems like an upstanding encyclopedia solidly grounded in reality and facts.</sarcasm>
Through pain, I find wisdom.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: February 28, 2017, 09:14:35 pm »

Speech is ongoing kiddos.
I certainly know that biologists and ecologists around the nation support the EPA solely because it annoys farmers. I was just talking to my professor, and he told me that aside from ranting at returning veterans about how god doesn't exist, his favorite activity is inventing fake science in order to support the EPA so as to ensure that farmers are occasionally inconvenienced.
You're funny. I take it you do character stand-up?

Edit: looks like you do.   Sorry, just that little 'earnest' for me.
So what we've learned from this is that PTTG?? should become a salesman (or maybe a politician), because clearly, he can say nonsense and still convince people he believes what he's saying. It's a useful skill, you know.

I don't think anyone actually claims to know one that does it for real, much less one that brags about doing it.

Discuss.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: February 28, 2017, 09:17:07 pm »

I was specifically referring to the whole claim that all science on climate change was fabricated by scientists to keep the gravy train rolling.  I don't know of anyone who claims to really know someone who does that.

I'm much more ready to believe that people publicly decry the existence of God in the face of religious people, but amusingly I've never seen that in person either.  Probably just the locale.

Edit: I mean, I've seen it online, but not in person.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 09:19:18 pm by Telgin »
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 191 192 [193] 194 195 ... 3569