Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 3570

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4258462 times)

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #2385 on: February 21, 2017, 07:51:44 pm »

On the topic of metric vs imperial:
While metric is best for sciencey things, Imperial is often better for day to day stuff. For example Fahrenheit is great  for normal uses because 0 to 100 is roughly a good range for human livability, but 0 and 100 in Celsius is a huge range where 0 is still cold as funk but 100 is now you are dead.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2386 on: February 21, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »

That said, it's quite telling seeing rags like Salon (who incidentally quickly deleted some of their more infamous 'pro-paedophilia' articles before putting up their one on Milo), or people who've constantly defended Roman Polanski in the past, suddenly wheel out the full-bores just for Milo.
Tbh pedo rags fightan pedos is commendable. Sympathy for victims does not excuse how the dude is dodge and influential in the Trump right; interesting to see how the Americans will respond. Hopefully prog rags remain anti-pedo and gops don't slacken just because this "one dude is super important on twitter." Perhaps in time, they will no longer even been known as pedo rags

On the topic of metric vs imperial:
While metric is best for sciencey things, Imperial is often better for day to day stuff. For example Fahrenheit is great  for normal uses because 0 to 100 is roughly a good range for human livability, but 0 and 100 in Celsius is a huge range where 0 is still cold as funk but 100 is now you are dead.
That's completely moot if you're used to metric though. Farenheight makes no sense to me, while I intrinsically know that -20*C is not good unless winter, -10*C is tolerable, 0*C is ok, 10*C is best, 20*C is tolerable, 30*C is wrong, 40*C is mosquitoes and death

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: February 21, 2017, 08:00:09 pm »

As someone who dealt with 45*C, I can give you a way to relate.

1) Turn on your oven, to the usual cooking temperature.

2) Stick your head inside.

You now know how it feels to walk outside in Arizona during the summer.
Don't actually do this.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2388 on: February 21, 2017, 08:01:00 pm »

As someone who dealt with 45*C, I can give you a way to relate.
1) Turn on your oven, to the usual cooking temperature.
2) Stick your head inside.
You now know how it feels to walk outside in Arizona during the summer.
I went to Saudi once

Once

Never again

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: February 21, 2017, 08:03:01 pm »

'Twas a compliment. Any occupying force needs collaborators - it's even better when those collaborators are actually convinced they're taking the country in the right direction.

As to your comment about secessionism being evil: Who ever said anything about secession? What I'm proposing is much closer to partitioning, with maybe direct administration of the less populated areas... Assuming that the area between the Atlantic Ocean and the Ural is not a smouldering radioactive hellscape by then, of course.
OK, then thanks for... uh, complimenting me! But why St. Petersburg, specifically, though? It's kind of a wet and damp city, and I've never even been to it!

I have a much better city in mind. It presides over a really big river and is a natural trade hub well known for its free trade marketplace, widely known across the entire Russia and, in fact, the largest one to ever exist within it, before the damn commies came and closed it. It has access to Black Sea through an inter-river channel, which would allow Europe to somewhat easily move occupation peacekeeping forces into it. Not to mention, it has a lot of potentially good science institutions in it, which among other things, design nuclear skybreakers icebreakers, refine materials to extremely high purity, and probably something else I've missed.

Though, I'm not even close to being a politician, so I'm not exactly sure how to help the process of liberating my beloved region from the oppressive yoke of the "center".
._.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: February 21, 2017, 08:10:04 pm »

OK, then thanks for... uh, complimenting me! But why St. Petersburg, specifically, though? It's kind of a wet and damp city, and I've never even been to it!
Because it's not a real occupation until ignorant foreigners butcher the occupational authority by ignoring all preexisting divisions and roles in order to establish arbitrarily defined quisling bodies and occasionally give everything away to transnational corporations.

Just as it will be when America conquers Europe and I install Helgoland as Privus Absolute of....*rapidly googles* Schwerin.

However, if you swear your life and blood to me I promise I won't force you to manage Perm.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: February 21, 2017, 08:20:43 pm »

(7 replies came in whilst writing this, apparently.)

Not sure how that makes it any better.  165°D to 65°D (roughly 10-130°F) has a similar 'survivability' envelope.  You don't need quite so good gloves at the one end whilst you'd definitely be struggling at the other, but they're all arbitrary, temperature degrees of whatever sort, and I'd not call any of the 'metric' so much as "happen to be officially anchored to these two measures, with so many divisions between". At which task the Fahrenheit scale fails miserably, historically, and now is officially defined as the 'logical' 32°F for water's freezing/melting point and, similarly, 212°F for its BP (well, almost!), handily (for whom?) 180F° apart, and human body temperature is thus not now 96°F  (96? A perfectly cromulent value, I'm sure! Not that it's relevant any more.)  All this at a given anthropocentric pressure, of course.

Which is not to say that Celsius is much better. Due to being currently affixed to water's FP and absolute zero, the BP is actually 99.9839ish°C at the standard pressure.  But at least it doesn't depend on a specific brine mix...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2392 on: February 21, 2017, 08:28:01 pm »

You're more generous than I am regarding their motivations - much though I'd love it if those rags went after any and all paedos they found, their previous conduct leaves me with the impression they only care because of his political activities. The articles they deleted before putting up this one speak for themselves, really.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's funny though, even if they're dumb enough to go full pedo the moment they're done killing Milo's career, the dissonance it would foster amongst their reader base would be enough to dislodge any number of their readerbase from their agenda. Mean time, they'll be doing the right a favour, since they've gotten rid of this guy whose past his usefulness and is perfectly ok with nambla tier shit - all without any RW infighting
Everybody wins. The real victim is pewdiepie, as we all know pewdiepie did nothing wrong

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: February 21, 2017, 08:32:33 pm »

Just as it will be when America conquers Europe and I install Helgoland as Privus Absolute of....*rapidly googles* Schwerin.
*shudders*

I have a much better city in mind. It presides over a really big river and is a natural trade hub well known for its free trade marketplace, widely known across the entire Russia and, in fact, the largest one to ever exist within it, before the damn commies came and closed it. It has access to Black Sea through an inter-river channel, which would allow Europe to somewhat easily move occupation peacekeeping forces into it. Not to mention, it has a lot of potentially good science institutions in it, which among other things, design nuclear skybreakers icebreakers, refine materials to extremely high purity, and probably something else I've missed.

Though, I'm not even close to being a politician, so I'm not exactly sure how to help the process of liberating my beloved region from the oppressive yoke of the "center".
Well, as far as I can tell every significant change in direction that Russia went through was accompanied by switching the seat of government between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Can't help to replicate that, right? Plus it's much more Western - and more easily reached by naval artillery, if it should come to that.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2394 on: February 21, 2017, 08:37:35 pm »

Well, as far as I can tell every significant change in direction that Russia went through was accompanied by switching the seat of government between Moscow and St. Petersburg. Can't help to replicate that, right? Plus it's much more Western - and more easily reached by naval artillery, if it should come to that.
Why not put the capital of Russia in Portugal

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: February 21, 2017, 08:39:06 pm »

*shudders*
Fun Fact: The only things I know about Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for sure is that it has an amazing name and a German comedy skit that said everybody who lives there is a low-key neo-nazi but won't admit it because they think they're just regular folk. Accurate?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: February 21, 2017, 08:41:44 pm »

The real victim is pewdiepie, as we all know pewdiepie did nothing wrong

He made my hobby popular with hordes of bloody tweens, he's the devil.
Agreed. I'll forgive him so long as he's sentenced to death by exile in Svalbard.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: February 21, 2017, 08:48:55 pm »

Because it's not a real occupation until ignorant foreigners butcher the occupational authority by ignoring all preexisting divisions and roles in order to establish arbitrarily defined quisling bodies and occasionally give everything away to transnational corporations.

However, if you swear your life and blood to me I promise I won't force you to manage Perm.
I'd rather side with Europeans against the tyrannical warmongers of Washington, thank you. Russia is a European country, and will not suffer an extra-continental occupation!

You're more generous than I am regarding their motivations - much though I'd love it if those rags went after any and all paedos they found, their previous conduct leaves me with the impression they only care because of his political activities. The articles they deleted before putting up this one speak for themselves, really.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's funny though, even if they're dumb enough to go full pedo the moment they're done killing Milo's career, the dissonance it would foster amongst their reader base would be enough to dislodge any number of their readerbase from their agenda. Mean time, they'll be doing the right a favour, since they've gotten rid of this guy whose past his usefulness and is perfectly ok with nambla tier shit - all without any RW infighting
Everybody wins. The real victim is pewdiepie, as we all know pewdiepie did nothing wrong
That image isn't actually contradictory, if you assume that Republicans are so far in the cuckoo-land that "moderate Republican" means "fascist". Which would be rather in line with Salon being rather solidly far-left.

That was only two times, you can't statistics off events that happened twice in history! Besides, you'd need to surround Moscow if you want to succeed in partitioning Russia. The city I'm thinking of can neatly cut off the central government from pretty much the entire Eastern portion of Russia, if you fully control the river its on. And it's also pretty close to Moscow itself, which makes it an excellent staging ground for dethroning the Putinist occupants in Moscow! It was even historically used in that role, twice.
._.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2398 on: February 21, 2017, 08:54:21 pm »

Kek
The absolute madman did it

He made my hobby popular with hordes of bloody tweens, he's the devil.
Who can forget his amazing innovations with the slenderman lp though. I don't think you're culturally refined enough to appreciate the greatest achievement of the Swedish race

We are seeing things like Buzzfeed and Salon go to war with fucking E-Celebs. We're seeing WSJ go to war with fucking E-Celebs. Not only is WSJ lowering itself to the level of BuzzSalon, it is losing to an untiring horde of fundamentalist pewdiepie fans of peace. Weaponized autism is the future of warfare, I can think of few things media could do worse that would make them less and less credible

That image isn't actually contradictory, if you assume that Republicans are so far in the cuckoo-land that "moderate Republican" means "fascist". Which would be rather in line with Salon being rather solidly far-left.
Everything makes sense with mental gymnastics

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: February 21, 2017, 08:55:17 pm »

Oh, I thought you were talking about Moscow... Rostov-on-Don, then? I guess we need a guy down there too - I'll see what I can do.

And believe me, I appreciate your offer of helping me avoid that job in Schwerin.

Fun Fact: The only things I know about Mecklenburg-Vorpommern for sure is that it has an amazing name and a German comedy skit that said everybody who lives there is a low-key neo-nazi but won't admit it because they think they're just regular folk. Accurate?
That's the cliché, at least. Though these days Leipzig and Dresden are the go-to places for that, what with Pegida and all.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 3570