Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242681 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1575 on: February 11, 2017, 05:41:55 am »

I dunno.  It could be cited that the court does not have the authority to demand her extradition from the nation she was deported to, due to lack of jurisdiction. (Cannot satisfy habeus corpus) SHE is not the defendant, she would be the plaintiff in such a proceeding. There's all kinds of potential issues I can see, especially with a hostile federal government.

Seen the reaction of Herr Trump to his travel ban getting locked by a court order? Yeah. I would expect that while this is very clean cut, that it is much more difficult to bring suit than would normally be considered proper.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: February 11, 2017, 06:54:33 am »

Yeah, Trump is talking about just issuing a brand new order and isn't going to let the SC deliberate on the old one. By not letting the decision go to the Supreme Court he can keep doing what he wants and claim it's legal, because it never actually gets a clear ruling either way, he can always dismiss the validity of any lower court.

I wonder if they'll basically repeat the same order? It kinda seems like something Trump would do, given his history as a litigious person who has out-lawyered people in the past. Does he think that if he keeps spamming these orders they'll have to get through? He probably doesn't get that the judges would see this as a direct attack on their independence.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 06:56:05 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: February 11, 2017, 06:59:05 am »

I hate to say I told you so, but this is one of the reasons why a strong federal govt isn't always such a good idea.  It NEEDS to be capable of being challenged in court, AND LOSING BIG.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: February 11, 2017, 07:07:13 am »

To be honest, A, this hasn't happened yet, and B it becomes much easier to use the same ruling on the executive order if a precedent is established. The president doesn't have limitless power, and if it looks like people in house and congress will have more to gain by opposing him they will do so. If he tries to pull this fast one I'd imagine the legislative branch would squash it down hard, and his approval rating is not likely to win him any allies. Alternatively, States and individuals will likely still have standing to sue so long as there are injured parties, even with the executive order overruled. What would happen should he try to pull the same move is these lawyers will likely start working pro bono, and skim their fees from the awarded damages. Likely a good time to be a lawyer.

Also uh, the Judicial branch is still a part of the federal government. Just saying.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: February 11, 2017, 07:12:52 am »

It is, but I think the standing question is if trump actually realises that, or at least what that means on a practical level.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: February 11, 2017, 07:14:52 am »

I'd like to think no one person is capable of that stunning level of foresight and have ever been in a situation where they were responsible for something bigger than a poodle. Given the way this year is going I am likely also very wrong.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: February 11, 2017, 09:53:13 am »

There's rumour of confidential papers ciculating within the US intelligence services suggesting that Putin is going to extradite Snowden, as a friendship gift to Trump.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/russia-eyes-sending-snowden-u-s-gift-trump-official-n718921

http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/-rusland-wil-snowden-uitleveren-als-cadeautje-voor-trump~a4461327/
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: February 11, 2017, 09:56:20 am »

I don't think they will. They would lose credit with their agents elsewhere. 
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: February 11, 2017, 10:02:00 am »

I don't think they will. They would lose credit with their agents elsewhere. 

That depends on if Snowden actually is one of their agents.

May hurt future defections though if there's a chance that Russia would send asylum seekers back to the US.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: February 11, 2017, 10:30:13 am »

IDK, If I was Trump I'd ask Putin to keep him. A show trial could backfire, and with the large Trump contingent of anti-NSA conspiracy theorists, really throwing the book at Snowden might not go down well. Sometimes an enemy "out there" is a convenient boogeyman, and of course a gift from Putin would add credence to the "Trump is a Russian Stooge" argument.

Plus, they might not want to put Snowden through the legal system in which case some of the more vague charges against him would have to be proven with evidence, and it would certainly bring the NSA's wiretapping program back into the headlines in a big way. On John Oliver's show they inteviewed people in the street purely at random (he stated they weren't cherry picked) and almost all of them had a seriously inaccurate view of exactly what Snowden did, something something gave military secrets to Al Qaeda, that sort of thing. They've actually carefully cultivated a situation where most normal Americans have no idea that Snowden exposed massive government wiretapping of normal Americans. Getting Snowden back would cause people to become much better informed about what he actually did, and that'd probably be worse for them than him being in exile.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: February 11, 2017, 10:36:03 am »

Yeah, you'd have to wonder what Trump would promise in exchange for such a favor. Though stuff like this is usually just exchanging spies, but I'm not aware of any Russian spies that we are currently holding. There probably are some though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: February 11, 2017, 10:38:37 am »

Yeah, you'd have to wonder what Trump would promise in exchange for such a favor.

I can't think of anything Putin could possibly want, either.....
Pic unrelated.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: February 11, 2017, 10:40:42 am »

I thought the town of Chernobyl didn't even exist anymore, that it was completely deserted because it was evacuated.

edit: Mostly abandoned anyway.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2017, 10:43:11 am by smjjames »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1588 on: February 11, 2017, 10:45:34 am »

It's still needs to be shown on the map. So you know what to avoid. It's all the other towns which don't need to be labeled.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: February 11, 2017, 10:48:50 am »

Though stuff like this is usually just exchanging spies, but I'm not aware of any Russian spies that we are currently holding. There probably are some though.
Tillerson!

Not currently holding him, but on the promise that he won't have to be...  ;)

I thought the town of Chernobyl didn't even exist anymore, that it was completely deserted because it was evacuated.
St Kilda still exists, even though it's deserted...  (Reelya's better at the pithy, though, it seems.)
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 3568