Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242261 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1530 on: February 10, 2017, 01:08:21 pm »

... this is literally the first time I have ever seen that second meaning in my life. Just... throwing that out there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: February 10, 2017, 01:11:58 pm »

... this is literally the first time I have ever seen that second meaning in my life. Just... throwing that out there.

Same here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: February 10, 2017, 01:15:15 pm »

Tow the line = Going out of your way to be the utterly dedicated martyr of whatever idea is at hand.

That doesn't sound legit at all, but it did put this image in mind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: February 10, 2017, 01:20:28 pm »

It's not given voice to much, but it is 100% what people are thinking when they change toe to tow. The context of such statements often do not make sense for the original definition. When a thread gets libertarian-bombed, people aren't referring to said libertarian's party rigor, they're referring to them being the beleaguered godhead for Ayn Rand.

Descriptivism, ho!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 01:23:01 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: February 10, 2017, 01:21:08 pm »

Never heard of that second meaning with 'tow the line' either.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: February 10, 2017, 01:26:21 pm »

I've heard it used as if it's in that context, but I feel like it's ignorance of the original meaning that allows it to persist. You can call that evolution of the language if you want, but it really stems from a lack of knowledge.

"Toe the line" is the original meaning. "Tow the line", especially when used orally, is just confusing and makes you sound like a fool.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: February 10, 2017, 01:29:05 pm »

Meh, at least no one's saying 'could care less'.
I think it's a mute point, and this diversion just a damp squid.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: February 10, 2017, 01:29:11 pm »

The only google results I can find for "tow the line" even with explicit quote on (without it on there's only 5 million results for "did you mean toe the line")
are from 2003.

And they're discussing how people use it incorrectly to describe politics because they dont understand etymology.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: February 10, 2017, 01:30:53 pm »

Meh, at least no one's saying 'could care less'.
I'unno, I could care less pretty easily.
Ask not!
Ask!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: February 10, 2017, 01:32:21 pm »

I've heard it used as if it's in that context, but I feel like it's ignorance of the original meaning that allows it to persist. You can call that evolution of the language if you want, but it really stems from a lack of knowledge.

"Toe the line" is the original meaning. "Tow the line", especially when used orally, is just confusing and makes you sound like a fool.
Virtually all evolution of language begins as corruption of a previous statement. It is laughably absurd to act as if linguistic meaning can or should be preserved, only the ideas behind the meaning of a word are important. Language is highly complex but equally lossy; this outcome is to be expected.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: February 10, 2017, 01:33:19 pm »

I could care MUCH less than I do about people saying that they could care less.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: February 10, 2017, 01:36:01 pm »

Keep on edging on, Ispil. We'll all be sure to not trigger you and only speak the Queen's English, as the only language handed down by God Himself, in its eternal and objectively correct format.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: February 10, 2017, 01:43:03 pm »

... seriously though, tow is a misspelling/typo. There hasn't been linguistic drift, there, it's just that no one uses the phrase that way. And that's okay. It's okay. Let's go back to actual politics instead of the politics of linguistic asspull :V

though on the flipside, that the politics of linguistic asspull's acronym could be PLA is somehow compelling
Ask not!
Ask!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: February 10, 2017, 01:49:15 pm »

@Iraq; ok now we definitely have a thread for that, AND it's not exactly in danger of being overrun by activity any time soon, AND because the thread is about US involvement it's directly relevant. We have scandals and incompetence to discuss in America, and Iraq deserves it's own thread (which is why it has one! Huzzah!).

That said it's not worth the hassle when we have more sexy Trump news to discuss.
And frankly it's hard to be in the business of Trump news. I mean there's so much of it! After I mention articles here I usually never mention the issue again here (unless it causes a discussion, of course) because by the time I would there's a new thing to talk about.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: February 10, 2017, 04:53:44 pm »

Another piece from WaPo on the Flynn saga.

Trump doesn't read, just watches TV. Here he cites an article that described the immigration order as "incompetent malevolence" because it was selectively quoted on Morning Joe. I strongly recommend the original along with the rest of Lawfare's coverage. Ben Wittes has been good on Twitter as well where he has been highlighting some of his most biting criticisms of Trump so far.

Breitbart got an interview with Sean Spicer. It rates an AV club review.
The crucial first interview after this ruling with White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer was given to the glorious official news outlet of the Trump administration, Breitbart News. Conducted by a boy in a suit named Charlie Spiering, it is a glorious two-minute comedy of errors, with production qualities rivaling the cringe-inducing crap cinema of Fateful Findings, A Talking Cat!?!, and even The Room. It is worth discussing in its entirety.
Youtube mirror in case the Facebook video doesn't work. It really is something else. Other highlights include Spicer getting the OLC's name wrong (Office of Legal Compliance rather than Counsel).
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 [103] 104 105 ... 3568