Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 3568

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4242011 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1485 on: February 09, 2017, 08:37:59 pm »

9th circuit appeals court unianimously ruled that the hold on the visa and refugee ban stays.

So, Trump's move. Might go to the Supreme Court.

edit: yep

Court rules against Trump. Trump's response, he'll sue them in court!

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: February 09, 2017, 10:53:30 pm »

9th circuit appeals court unianimously ruled that the hold on the visa and refugee ban stays.

So, Trump's move. Might go to the Supreme Court.

edit: yep

Court rules against Trump. Trump's response, he'll sue them in court!

Just to be fair, that is how the judicial system works. There are layers within the system that allow him to attempt that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: February 09, 2017, 11:04:30 pm »

Yes, but it is a little silly to say "see you in court" when you've already seen them in court (indirectly).

...See you in higher courts?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: February 09, 2017, 11:11:53 pm »

It's just Trumps way of saying 'BRING IT ON! ONWARD THROUGH THE LEGAL SYSTEM!' I guess. Though he has yet to decide on the exact next step.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: February 09, 2017, 11:31:38 pm »

Trump talked to Chinese President Xi and all of a sudden agreed to honor the 'One China' polcy.

edit: Bit better source from Associated Press

So, I guess the whole thing with attacking the One China policy before inauguration was him doing the political equivalent of breaking branches and thrashing around vegtation to look tough?

I just wonder what the Chinese President promised or agreed in return, because transactional diplomacy.

edit2: Wonder how long before that conversation gets leaked, heh. Would be real embarrassing for both parties. Though in all seriousness, those leaks have gotten a bit out of hand.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:38:44 pm by smjjames »

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: February 09, 2017, 11:45:16 pm »

Meanwhile, I hear Late Night has apparently been having a Rennaissance of sorts due to Trump, particularly SNL (obviously) but also Colbert (for obvious reasons; if you've never seen Colbert at the Whitehouse Correspondent's dinner in 2006, or if you have and it's been a while, watch and learn how to mock the President to their face.) Might have to check in with Colbert again; I know that he and Stewart had a rougher time after Bush left (I mean after all, he was their mojo), so Colbert might be back in his groove.

EDIT: I forgot one thing from that video. The only person who had a sense of humor in the entire Bush Administration was Antonin Scalia, of all people. Not only did he laugh at the section directed at himself, but he apparently came up to Colbert after the show and praised him (the only person willing to even make eye-contact with Colbert).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 02:00:04 am by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: February 10, 2017, 12:09:22 am »

Kellyanne Conway, in her own terms, advertised for Ivanka's fashion line on Fox this morning. Which is of course illegal. When the White House rep was questioned about the matter later, he would only say that Conway has been 'counseled' on the matter.
Conway just now responded to an inquiry about her counseling, and she said "I spent a lot of time with the president this morning, he supports me 100%. It was a very heartening moment. All I can say to the women of America, at some point in your life you ought to have a boss who treats you the way he treated me today."

So basically, Conway pimped out the president's daughter's crap, and as a reward he let her give him a BJ in the oval office. Way to be a role model Kellyanne.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: February 10, 2017, 03:43:17 am »

The US *IS* responsible for a very, VERY great deal of the terror going on in the Middle East.

Through a series of very destructive, short-sighted, and downright stupid actions, including but not limited to:
1)Installing and supporting puppet dictatorships
2)Being the enforcers for extremist regimes
3)Backing "favorable" regime changes
4)Continuing an ongoing campaign of terror via very poorly implemented air strikes on civilian population centers
5)Actively training "resistance" groups (like they didnt learn about the fucking taliban from their roots in the 70s... When the CIA trained them!)
6)Turning a blind eye to Israel's bullshit, which ranges from relatively benign illegal settlement of the West Bank, to downright war crimes of using white phosphorus shells

etc

Acknowledging that the USA does not have clean hands is very fundamental in PROPERLY addressing this problem.

So, let me get this straight: if the US support resistance, the US is causing terrorism, if the US is backing a regime, it's promoting terror, if it's backing regime change, it's causing terrorism... I think you're just mistaking correlation and causation. The US is going to be involved in everything, because the US is the superpower. That doesn't mean that everything that happens is its fault (or, to put it otherwise, that everything would be fine without the US).

Sure, some actions clearly made things worse (Iraq invasion is the best exemple), but for the rest, it's often much harder to see what the US should/could have done.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1493 on: February 10, 2017, 04:18:29 am »

I'm so glad that Sean Spicer is so bad at subterfuge.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: February 10, 2017, 04:23:04 am »

The US *IS* responsible for a very, VERY great deal of the terror going on in the Middle East.

Through a series of very destructive, short-sighted, and downright stupid actions, including but not limited to:
1)Installing and supporting puppet dictatorships
2)Being the enforcers for extremist regimes
3)Backing "favorable" regime changes
4)Continuing an ongoing campaign of terror via very poorly implemented air strikes on civilian population centers
5)Actively training "resistance" groups (like they didnt learn about the fucking taliban from their roots in the 70s... When the CIA trained them!)
6)Turning a blind eye to Israel's bullshit, which ranges from relatively benign illegal settlement of the West Bank, to downright war crimes of using white phosphorus shells

etc

Acknowledging that the USA does not have clean hands is very fundamental in PROPERLY addressing this problem.

So, let me get this straight: if the US support resistance, the US is causing terrorism, if the US is backing a regime, it's promoting terror, if it's backing regime change, it's causing terrorism... I think you're just mistaking correlation and causation. The US is going to be involved in everything, because the US is the superpower. That doesn't mean that everything that happens is its fault (or, to put it otherwise, that everything would be fine without the US).

Sure, some actions clearly made things worse (Iraq invasion is the best exemple), but for the rest, it's often much harder to see what the US should/could have done.

False dichotomies are false.

Correct choice: Leave them the fuck alone.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: February 10, 2017, 05:02:09 am »

You really think that the ME would be all fine and dandy if the US had left them alone? Like, do you think the Saudi and Iranians would suddenly be all friends and stuff?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: February 10, 2017, 05:33:40 am »

There are a number of poor choices in terms of who to support and who to topple.

The Sandinistas in Nicaragua are the prime example. A collection of various social forces topple a far-right fascist dictatorship, replace it with a Republic which started the nation's first free and fair elections 6 years later (which system the US has even praised now and then when someone pro-US gets elected).

Meanwhile, the USA had been the main supporter of said fascists for about 50 years previously, then 100% funded and trained and armed the remnants of the fascist leader's enforcement squads as "freedom fighters" who proceeded to run terror campaigns targeted at civilians. Meanwhile the CIA provided them actual training manuals describing civilian leadership assassinations, torture and "rule of terror" tactics to undermine the civilian leadership. The CIA was even indicted for planting ship mines in the harbour in an illegal effort to "blockade" the nation, which sunk a number of merchant vessels from European nations. So you have the US administration order literal terrorist actions designed to scare other nations away from trading with the country America didn't like.

Nicaragua took USA to the International Court Of Justice over all of this, and won the case. But the USA refuses to recognize the legitimacy of the court, making them 100% a rogue terrorist state, except one too big for anyone to stop.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:38:11 am by Reelya »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: February 10, 2017, 05:38:49 am »

Oh, I'm not disputing the fact that some US decisions definitely supported terror either directly (Nicaragua) or indirectly by providing breeding ground (invading Iraq in the first place, and pulling off completely in '11). I'm just disputing the intellectual laziness of blaming it all on the US  and assuming that US actions in the region are bad, no matter what they are.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: February 10, 2017, 05:41:54 am »

Well the current middle east crisis is pretty much directly attributable to the Iraq War.

Basically, there would have been no Arab Spring without Iraq 2003. And without Arab Spring, there would have been no civil war in Libya and Syria. Many of the key personnel of ISIS also met because the USA arrested a lot of potential rebels and put them in one big prison with basically no supervision. They basically got radicalized there. That's one of the big problems of an "Us and Them" approach.

Iraq 2003 was based on forged evidence. Hans Blix the UN inspector literally said that on a documentary. He said he gave a report Bush had waved on TV to some UN security experts and they said to him the document is a forgery. Not wrong intel, the document itself was a fake.

So, yeah Iraq War was a total disaster, but they pushed for it and fabricated evidence to help them push for it. It's like driving on the footpath as a "shortcut". Sure, you didn't mean to run over that old lady, but it's still your fault because you deliberately drove on the footpath. In this case, they fabricated documents to create a cassus belli to invade another country. The world went to shit in a big way, all clearly going back to those decisions. ISIS wasn't their intention, but it is their fault.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 05:52:24 am by Reelya »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: February 10, 2017, 05:47:49 am »

Ok, put it this way. What was the last US action in the ME region that wasn't destabilizing? The region can hardly be called stable or prosperous or developed, but can you blame them when someone as big and us untouchable as the US keeps kicking them in the balls whenever they get the chance or do something that doesn't jive with the US plan for the area.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 3568