Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228452 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #975 on: February 05, 2017, 01:39:06 pm »

That's a fair argument. However, consider this:
Quote from: @realDonaldTrump
The opinion of this so-called judge, which essentially takes law-enforcement away from our country, is ridiculous and will be overturned!
What is our country coming to when a judge can halt a Homeland Security travel ban and anyone, even with bad intentions, can come into U.S.?
Because the ban was lifted by a judge, many very bad and dangerous people may be pouring into our country. A terrible decision
Why aren't the lawyers looking at and using the Federal Court decision in Boston, which is at conflict with ridiculous lift ban decision?
The judge opens up our country to potential terrorists and others that do not have our best interests at heart. Bad people are very happy!
._.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: February 05, 2017, 02:03:05 pm »

Can we make a new thread for discussions about whether or not the topic of sexual identity is relevant for discussion on the Ameripol thread?

The Megathreads shall grow to meet the needs of the expanding Megathreads.

Honestly though, with the sheer size of the Megathreads, I think the possibility of creating a General Discussion subboard for Politics might be warranted.  Maybe one for the Emotion threads as well.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: February 05, 2017, 02:20:41 pm »

Let's consider something else for a moment.

Trump institutes a ban for a few countries coming here for a few months.

Granted, I'll fully admit the ban was poorly worded, poorly thought out, and consequences of it are less than ideal. But I'd argue that it was made with good intentions at least.

How is this significantly worse than the bans US citizens have had on travel to certain countries for decades now. We've only just started to open up to Cuba whereas a few years ago you could be arrested on simple suspicion that you had traveled there or had intent to. (Has happened more than once to boats simply on a Southward or Northward heading to/from Florida.)

Some are difficult or impossible to enter directly simply due to diplomatic relations the US maintains, such as with Iran or North Korea neither of which have embassies in the US.

Many other countries restrict travel to a much harsher extent, and have for many years. Many countries require sponsors to be present while you're visiting and many require that you provide proof of your lodgings while you're there as well as either proof of a pre-booked return ticket or a deposit on file with the government to pay your way out if they have to deport you.

I'll admit I don't personally want to see this ban in place. But I don't think it's necessarily harmful on a large scale, especially given its short period and there are far more important things for people to be pissed over.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: February 05, 2017, 02:39:16 pm »

Look, if you're argument as to why this should be allowed is dictatorships do it all the time, then uh yeah. It's also worth mentioning that this is not merely targeted at visa holders, but refugees who completed a rigorous vetting program and green card holders as well. All that along with Trumps repeatedly stated intent is what makes it particularly ugly.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: February 05, 2017, 02:45:35 pm »

This ban is radically different from all of those. The situation that we had with Cuba is that of a travel interdiction, in that you couldn't fly between them.

But what you could do is drive up to Toronto and get on a flight to Havana (disclaimer: I do not know if Toronto Airport offers direct flights to Havana, do not go there without confirmation), which people often did. Even as an American you can receive permission to travel through Cuba in spite of their existing no formal diplomatic status, and while the reverse is more difficult I know that it is at least possible.

Whereas this is more along the lines of boarding every inbound flight to the USA, finding everyone who holds or once held Cuban citizenship (even technically or in conjunction with another nation) and detaining them for deportation and blacklisting. And doing so to a bunch of people who have some more tenuous connection to Cuba by mistake because cops only get more stupid as you give them more power.

The fact that this, hitting a bunch of nations we have very low travel with, managed to hit the former PM of a nation that is ostensibly our ally, shows how fool-headed and damaging a ban of this nature is. Nations can have issues with each other such that they refuse to even recognize that the other exists, and authoritarian governments can put in policies that make life difficult for travelers, but in spite of all that we've still basically maintained a global norm that travelers are not given absolute bounds by nature of their nationality.

Take North Korea. DPRK and the US probably have the worst diplomatic impasse of any two nations, at least due to the global dramashow of it if nothing else. It's very difficult for Americans to travel to North Korea, and the chance of being denied is pretty high while the restrictions even if you aren't are severe. But even that does not reach the same categorical issue of this ban. I can go right now to North Korea's travel ministry and email them, ask for a tour, and there's a good possibility they'll decide I'm not a spy and accept my money.

Trump's actions, like many of his actions, are placing a global norm that is not necessarily respected by law in jeopardy. This is even more severe in particular because, unlike most nations that even verge on these kinds of blanket bans, the US is not a pariah state nor are we closed off to international travel in general. Iran counter-banned Americans one day after this shit started, and thankfully unbanned us after the injunction was put in place. Even so, Trump risked causing lasting damage to one of the few things humanity has at least halfway got its shit together on, and opposing that is vital.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:49:14 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: February 05, 2017, 02:47:41 pm »

Let's consider something else for a moment.

Trump institutes a ban for a few countries coming here for a few months.

Granted, I'll fully admit the ban was poorly worded, poorly thought out, and consequences of it are less than ideal. But I'd argue that it was made with good intentions at least.
I think we should discuss actions based on their real effects. Not the intended ones, the real ones.
._.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #981 on: February 05, 2017, 03:13:55 pm »

I disagree. Compare the publicly-available data on terrorists who have come to the united states by any means to the states Trump and Bannon targeted. There is no overlap. Therefore, the stated goal is not the actual one. What intentions does the data suggest? That it is the closest that Trump could achieve to his Muslim ban as soon as possible.

How is this significantly worse than the bans US citizens have had on travel to certain countries for decades now. We've only just started to open up to Cuba whereas a few years ago you could be arrested on simple suspicion that you had traveled there or had intent to. (Has happened more than once to boats simply on a Southward or Northward heading to/from Florida.)

Some are difficult or impossible to enter directly simply due to diplomatic relations the US maintains, such as with Iran or North Korea neither of which have embassies in the US.

Many other countries restrict travel to a much harsher extent, and have for many years. Many countries require sponsors to be present while you're visiting and many require that you provide proof of your lodgings while you're there as well as either proof of a pre-booked return ticket or a deposit on file with the government to pay your way out if they have to deport you.

The countries you mentioned were or are declared enemies of the united states, and the countries Trump banned, in some cases, worked closely with us? All of those bans were declared slowly and rationally rather than immediately and capriciously? All those restrictions included means to bypass them, exceptions, and some level of critical thought, whereas the trump ban was universal and unimpeachable? These are all very large differences.

I'll admit I don't personally want to see this ban in place. But I don't think it's necessarily harmful on a large scale, especially given its short period and there are far more important things for people to be pissed over.

I think hurting 100,000 people is a large-scale harm. I think the constitutional crisis caused by the executive branch fighting the judiciary is large-scale harm. But I agree -- we need a total husking of the Trump administration and replacement with progressive leadership as soon as possible.

Interesting note, if the travel ban was 100% effective at stopping all terrorist acts in the united states (including, somehow, domestic terrorism) for an entire year, it would statistically save 5.7 lives, based on the rate of terrorist fatalities in the united states.

If Trump wanted to do good in this way, he would ban cows. Beyond saving 20 lives directly, the reduction in heart disease would save thousands, and the more efficient use of food crops would produce a global surplus of food, reducing prices and helping stabilize the world. While we're at it, let's ban lightning, which is ten times as likely to kill you as a terrorist. Oh, and remember that radical Islamic terror is a small proportion of those fatalities!

The Guardian saying Trump is not a fascist
Witness history and be awed

Just... what.

EDIT: You know, I think I respect outright fascists more than I respect people who somehow think Trump gives a damn about the common man. At least the fascist pays attention to what's going on.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:16:34 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: February 05, 2017, 05:42:24 pm »

This ban is radically different from all of those. The situation that we had with Cuba is that of a travel interdiction, in that you couldn't fly between them.

But what you could do is drive up to Toronto and get on a flight to Havana (disclaimer: I do not know if Toronto Airport offers direct flights to Havana, do not go there without confirmation), which people often did. Even as an American you can receive permission to travel through Cuba in spite of their existing no formal diplomatic status, and while the reverse is more difficult I know that it is at least possible.

This is, while practically true, lawfully incorrect. As an American citizen you could be charged criminally if you were found to have gone to Cuba. (I think in general the charges had to do with movement of money, where they would get you if you spent any money there. But the details don't matter.) The US Government had no problem charging citizens with crimes simply for visiting Cuba. No matter where they entered from. For a while Cuba would offer US citizens to stamp a seperate paper rather than their passport that they could just keep inside their passport until they left and they could throw it away to get rid of the biggest piece of evidence you'd been there.

I think we should discuss actions based on their real effects. Not the intended ones, the real ones.

The real effects are that a couple hundred people (if that many) have been inconvenienced. In the long run, that's not a huge deal. Annoying, yes. Preventable, yes. But they'll get over it.

I disagree. Compare the publicly-available data on terrorists who have come to the united states by any means to the states Trump and Bannon targeted. There is no overlap. Therefore, the stated goal is not the actual one. What intentions does the data suggest? That it is the closest that Trump could achieve to his Muslim ban as soon as possible.

I agree that it was mostly a quick and dirty political move to appease his base. But appeasing his base is part of his job. And once again, the list was compiled by Obama. Whose mistake was it to include those countries? I'll admit it was a mistake to not double check. But it's not his fault the list was wrong.

The countries you mentioned were or are declared enemies of the united states, and the countries Trump banned, in some cases, worked closely with us? All of those bans were declared slowly and rationally rather than immediately and capriciously? All those restrictions included means to bypass them, exceptions, and some level of critical thought, whereas the trump ban was universal and unimpeachable? These are all very large differences.

Most of the ban is temporary. VERY temporary in political or immigration terms. 3 months is not that long, not even the 4 months for Syria. The only one that isn't currently temporary is the Syrian Refugee ban. Nor is the US alone in effectively banning Syrian immigrants. Many areas of Europe have put up their own walls, made their own camps to contain them. The places that have let them in freely have largely regretted it. I won't say a flat out refusal of them is the solution. I think it's a pretty bad idea myself. But I don't think it's entirely wrong to want to take a step back and consider the situation for a moment and look for a more solid method of dealing with them than what's been used already.

Look, if you're argument as to why this should be allowed is dictatorships do it all the time, then uh yeah. It's also worth mentioning that this is not merely targeted at visa holders, but refugees who completed a rigorous vetting program and green card holders as well. All that along with Trumps repeatedly stated intent is what makes it particularly ugly.

I'm not arguing for a permanent ban. I'm actually very much against the ability for people to travel freely.*See Edit* My point is that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be as long as it remains temporary. I fully agree though that it was poorly considered, poorly worded, and poorly implemented. I do however think the judges are being political in their blocking of it. There is probably a semi-reasonable legal reason to block it, but they're searching for a reason when they wanted to block it all along, not because it's altogether harmful.

EDIT: A little bit late to edit now, but I'm very much for people to have the ability to travel freely... what a typo... Doh...
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:24:12 pm by sluissa »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:03 pm »

So it turns out the Judicial branch is in fact, a part of US politics, but that being said yes, judges have the authority to block executive and legislative motions while they determine if they are constitutional or not, it's literally part of their job to do so. It's also not a couple hundred people. According the the Independent, the US state department mentions 60 thousand visas as being revoked. Still not sure in how many greencards were also revoked as well, but that goes beyond minor 3 month inconvenience if you can't go back home because the US decided you lived elsewhere.

I'd also put forth that the patriot act is also technically a temporary thing, or was billed as such, so it's worth mentioning it's a bad EO in effect right now, and we really have no indication that it might be renewed or extended or passed as a law. And uh, the obama amendment to a law required a small subset of people from those countries to get a visa before travelling to the US if they had dual citizenship in those second countries or had visited them previously, and had a citizenship in a visa waiver country.

Really, getting some mixed messages from all this coming from you. Yes it's a bad idea but the judges blocking it are also bad is not a coherent position to take if you are not willing to back this up with further details, and at the same time you've provided misleading information to shore up your position that this ban is not actually that bad.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:51 pm »

The real effects are that a couple hundred people (if that many) have been inconvenienced. In the long run, that's not a huge deal. Annoying, yes. Preventable, yes. But they'll get over it.
Getting over spending many years slowly moving through the bureaucratic machine of USA immigration system, only to all that effort being nullified because Trump decided that you're bad because you're trying to get away from a shithole country, despite you being already screened and vetted multiple times during said immigration process?

I don't see it.

I'm not arguing for a permanent ban. I'm actually very much against the ability for people to travel freely. My point is that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be as long as it remains temporary. I fully agree though that it was poorly considered, poorly worded, and poorly implemented. I do however think the judges are being political in their blocking of it. There is probably a semi-reasonable legal reason to block it, but they're searching for a reason when they wanted to block it all along, not because it's altogether harmful.
There's nothing quite as permanent as "temporary measures" and "emergency powers". Trump can just renew the ban every three months, if he's not stopped. And if you want to know whenever he wants to do that, well, just look at what your President has tweeted just recently:
The judge opens up our country to potential terrorists and others that do not have our best interests at heart. Bad people are very happy!
Just cannot believe a judge would put our country in such peril. If something happens blame him and court system. People pouring in. Bad!
I have instructed Homeland Security to check people coming into our country VERY CAREFULLY. The courts are making the job very difficult!
He doesn't even attempt to appeal to the supposed "temporariness" of the ban. Instead, it's "people pouring in = bad" and "blame the court system". He's very open about what he's trying to do, you know.
._.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #985 on: February 05, 2017, 06:22:09 pm »

Inconvenienced? Being treated like a terrorist for no reason is inconvenience? Losing a job, losing a house, losing your life because you were locked out of the US for three months is inconvenience? I beg you have some empathy, sir.

I agree that it was mostly a quick and dirty political move to appease his base. But appeasing his base is part of his job. And once again, the list was compiled by Obama. Whose mistake was it to include those countries? I'll admit it was a mistake to not double check. But it's not his fault the list was wrong.

Two problems here. 1: The President's job is to serve the best interests of the people, not to pander to his base. He is not president of Alabama. 2: I beg you to consider the possibility that there exist, in the white house, more than one list of nations. It's actually possible for the president to create a new list of nations all on his own, although I suspect Trump would need an Atlas to name more than three of them. If Trump wanted to, he could create any list of nations. So yes, in his choice to select, from the wide variety of potential lists at his disposal, the wrong goddamn list is, in fact, his goddamned fault.

Most of the ban is temporary. VERY temporary in political or immigration terms. 3 months is not that long, not even the 4 months for Syria. The only one that isn't currently temporary is the Syrian Refugee ban. Nor is the US alone in effectively banning Syrian immigrants. Many areas of Europe have put up their own walls, made their own camps to contain them. The places that have let them in freely have largely regretted it. I won't say a flat out refusal of them is the solution. I think it's a pretty bad idea myself. But I don't think it's entirely wrong to want to take a step back and consider the situation for a moment and look for a more solid method of dealing with them than what's been used already.

Cut my heart out for an hour, then, and put it back. No harm, no foul.

Furthermore, yes, a number of nations have banned Syrian refugees. All of them have faced international condemnation for it. It is especially hypocritical for the United States to stir up shit with imperialist manipulations for two or three generations, then refuse to accept refugees.

I'm not arguing for a permanent ban. I'm actually very much against the ability for people to travel freely. My point is that it's not as big of a deal as people are making it out to be as long as it remains temporary. I fully agree though that it was poorly considered, poorly worded, and poorly implemented. I do however think the judges are being political in their blocking of it. There is probably a semi-reasonable legal reason to block it, but they're searching for a reason when they wanted to block it all along, not because it's altogether harmful.

Can you provide any piece of evidence that Judges are using illegitimate evidence to block what you say is a totally legal ban? Because when I have to choose between trusting one internet commentator and several federal judges, I think I'm going to give the judges the benifit of the doubt.

Most fundamentally, and if you answer nothing else, answer this: what are you so afraid of? What has you so afraid you'll throw away your basic human compassion?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: February 05, 2017, 06:25:41 pm »

I just thought... Trump could call a hit on that judge and then pardon whoever does it.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: February 05, 2017, 06:29:16 pm »

I just thought... Trump could call a hit on that judge and then pardon whoever does it.
I'm pretty sure judges are supposed to be guarded.
._.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: February 05, 2017, 06:41:50 pm »

More importantly, murder is a state-level crime that the President has no authority to pardon somebody for. He could pardon any additional Federal-level charges, but whoever did such a thing would still go down hard. One of the reasons why "states sovereignty" really is a good thing.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: February 05, 2017, 06:53:25 pm »

Really, getting some mixed messages from all this coming from you. Yes it's a bad idea but the judges blocking it are also bad is not a coherent position to take if you are not willing to back this up with further details, and at the same time you've provided misleading information to shore up your position that this ban is not actually that bad.

There's no mixed message here other than talk about the problems that will still likely be problems in 3 months. Dissolution of the EPA, the abortion restrictions on the table (something that 3 months is an eternity for), the conflicts of interest, the Russian connections.

Talk about the shit that Congress is talking about doing while the Trump smoke machine keeps them covered up.

@PTTG??

It's people like you begging me to have empathy and compassion that makes me lose any desire to give it.

I DO have empathy for these people. I want them to be able to live their lives. I've said REPEATEDLY that the EOs were poorly thought out and had negative consequences that should have been avoidable. I would have preferred it didn't happen in the first place. But far to much energy has been expended arguing, fighting, reporting, and otherwise just giving attention to it.

I am not afraid of them coming in. I welcome people to this country. I, for one, still agree with the base of the Statue of Liberty. I'm afraid of liberals who tell me what I should think or do getting too much power and being able to enforce it. I used to be afraid of Religious conservatives. I still am, but they've been stymied so long and the tide of liberalism has risen so quickly and so violently lately that it's currently my bigger fear. These riots around the country. The violence that occurs simply for thinking a way that's different from someone else's way. The threat of rebellion and civil war and secession that occurred before a bad president even got into office, before he even had a chance to fuck up. That is what scares me.

I don't defend Trump, I attack the idea that he's what we should be worried about.

Finally, rarely trust lawyers. Never trust judges. They're just lawyers that have been around too long.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 3567