Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4228062 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #991 on: February 05, 2017, 07:30:35 pm »

Speaking of EPA dissolution, the bill H.R.861 - "To terminate the Environmental Protection Agency", has just been introduced.

*facepalm* They're actually doing it....

This will just end up making it neccesary to make one because we'll end up in the same situation where we had to make one! pfft.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: February 05, 2017, 07:32:37 pm »

i wonder just how big a protest can get. i think we will see.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: February 05, 2017, 07:35:20 pm »

Edit:post damaged. Should not use phone.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:42:57 pm by andrea »

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: February 05, 2017, 07:39:08 pm »

I don't defend Trump, I attack the idea that he's what we should be worried about.
You /really/ don't see the contradiction here?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: February 05, 2017, 07:40:24 pm »

Well, for fun reading open up what OTHER stuff this guy has proposed (Man that guy is a machine)

https://www.congress.gov/member/matt-gaetz/G000578

And some of it... is actually pretty interesting and would be very interesting to pass. Others are petty and silly.

His "One Subject at a time" law is interesting... but realistically it wouldn't work... The reason why "Piggyback" laws exist is sometimes you need to pass laws in conjunction with one another. Just a shame it is abused to hell and back.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: February 05, 2017, 07:42:48 pm »

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/meet-4-republican-lawmakers-who-want-abolish-epa-n717061

brand new article about it if anyone's interested. gives a bit of background.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: February 05, 2017, 07:43:54 pm »

Quote screwup there Andrea (your text is inside the quote), just letting you know.

While the bill hasn't gotten through yet, I wonder what they'll do with all the functions and regulations which are part of the EPA? I suppose they might delegate to the states, but that would end up being a heck of a patchwork.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: February 05, 2017, 07:45:30 pm »

Quote screwup there Andrea (your text is inside the quote), just letting you know.

While the bill hasn't gotten through yet, I wonder what they'll do with all the functions and regulations which are part of the EPA? I suppose they might delegate to the states, but that would end up being a heck of a patchwork.
its the same as the plan they have for the ACA, none at all.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: February 05, 2017, 07:47:44 pm »

Well, for fun reading open up what OTHER stuff this guy has proposed (Man that guy is a machine)

https://www.congress.gov/member/matt-gaetz/G000578

And some of it... is actually pretty interesting and would be very interesting to pass. Others are petty and silly.

His "One Subject at a time" law is interesting... but realistically it wouldn't work... The reason why "Piggyback" laws exist is sometimes you need to pass laws in conjunction with one another. Just a shame it is abused to hell and back.

Looks like maybe a protest or sarcasm bill, they do that all the time I think.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: February 05, 2017, 07:51:07 pm »

Before everyone starts panicking, two things. One, it hasn't even been put to a vote- just in committee. Two, no way in hell it is getting 8 democrats in the senate to flip.

And theres likely some Republicans who don't want to be that drastic.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: February 05, 2017, 07:51:50 pm »

Are there any good ways to avoid riders though, apart from a functioning political culture? I don't think many other countries have as much of a problem with that stuff as the US has. What are you guys doing wrong?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: February 05, 2017, 07:53:37 pm »

The chances of this bill (like the national "right to work" bill that has also been proposed) getting through Congress are essentially zero. Ignoring the House (where there will be plenty of opportunities for it to die quietly in committee), not only is there no chance of preventing the inevitable Democratic filibuster (and issues like this are why the Dems should NOT filibuster most things, as it should be held in reserve), but there's enough Republican Senators in shaky enough position at home (especially if the Trump approval ratings continue their current course) to make it safer to hop across the isle on this bill. It is little more than posturing from congresscritters representing states that depend heavily on fossil fuels economically.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1003 on: February 05, 2017, 07:57:29 pm »

...I'm afraid of liberals who tell me what I should think or do getting too much power and being able to enforce it. I used to be afraid of Religious conservatives. I still am, but they've been stymied so long and the tide of liberalism has risen so quickly and so violently lately that it's currently my bigger fear. These riots around the country. The violence that occurs simply for thinking a way that's different from someone else's way. The threat of rebellion and civil war and secession that occurred before a bad president even got into office, before he even had a chance to fuck up. That is what scares me....

There's a huge difference between internet arguments and shooting five BLM protestors. There's a huge difference between a 4 million strong peaceful protest and a few dozen anarchists crashing a different peaceful protest against an actual fascist. Please tell me about any civil wars and rebellions you know about, by the way. Right now the same people are passing around California succession things as always, and about as seriously. 

And really, how did you turn the platform of social liberalism into people telling you what to think? Is it because I or people like me have posited that scientific evidence should be used in government? Is it because people are asking for 'silly things' like equality before the law?

....Finally, rarely trust lawyers. Never trust judges. They're just lawyers that have been around too long.

Do you have a practical plan to remove judges from the... uh, judicial system? I guess we'd just call it the system after that. If not, are you proposing overthrowing of the existing system to eliminate Judges? Like those scaaaaary liberals?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: February 05, 2017, 07:58:52 pm »

Riders are the ultimate no win scenario in US Politics. You have a good law attached to a bad law...

So you either get the good law AND the bad one.

Or you avoid the bad law... AND the good one (There are a few famous cases)
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 3567