Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4226356 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #810 on: February 03, 2017, 08:01:29 pm »

I watch with horrified fascination and excitement to see if Trump can reach a point where his level of self-contradiction becomes powerful enough that he denies his own existence and disappears.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: February 03, 2017, 08:07:45 pm »

He charges his contradiction powers every time he changes his mind on something. Soon he likely will actually gain the ability to bend the very fabric of the universe.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: February 03, 2017, 08:10:06 pm »

To be honest, I don't understand most of what Sergarr Starver wrote. Those websites of "Australian slang" often contain much of it that dates from e.g. 1880-1940s. Basically a lot of it is from the Wild West era to the WWII era slang.

When I was maybe 8, or so, an old, old friend of my Dad's came back to the 'old country', after a long stint Down Under (Ten-Pound Pom?), and in preparation for the visit I tried to find as many XXXXian phrases as I could. (Long pre-web, of course.)

I recall that I never got to introduce the word "bowser" (petrol(/gas)-pump) into conversation, disappointingly.

But some of the words I (mis)used above are far more recent than others, I admit. ;)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:31 pm »

He charges his contradiction powers every time he changes his mind on something. Soon he likely will actually gain the ability to bend the very fabric of the universe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Jim_Jaspers

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: February 03, 2017, 08:18:31 pm »

this is accurate Australian though right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyVX3uJpqxc  :P

Yeah perfectly representative. If you were born in the 1930s, when the name Bruce was popular.

And the basis of the Bruces was actually Australian comedian Barry Humphries (the guy who created Dame Edna) character Barry McKenzie which started in 1964 in a British magazine. But he was lampooning much older stereotypes at that time, basically Australia's version of rednecks who were born pre-WWII. So sure, the Bruce's Sketch is legit, if we also get to do a sketch where everyone in America from the president down is called Billy-Bob and he has a chicken coop in the Oval Office.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: February 03, 2017, 08:22:25 pm »

...your middle name isn't Billy-Bob-Ray-Roy-Slightly-Wee-But-Not-As-Wee-As-Wee-Jack-Jack-Johnny?

Crivens!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: February 03, 2017, 08:26:12 pm »

The one thing I haven't pinned down is where the Pythons got the idea of Australians wearing Khaki. Basically those look like army uniforms, so i'm not sure why they'd think we dress like that normally.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:28:32 pm by Reelya »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: February 03, 2017, 08:28:12 pm »

Steve Irwin once had to wrestle a time-machine into submission...

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #818 on: February 03, 2017, 08:40:28 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 02:10:46 pm by Toady One »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: February 03, 2017, 08:43:29 pm »

*pre-emptively locks the thread*

Um, not sure what you're doing doze, but you need to chill......

*clatters around*

*asks*

*FACEPALMS*

*unlocks*
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:51:09 pm by smjjames »

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #820 on: February 03, 2017, 08:53:55 pm »

Here, have some hypothetical scenarios to distract from what is either a massive outburst or a joke that I'm not getting.
Massive outburst. I have to remind myself that they aren't trying to look so hateful.

I'm very angry because Covenant and wierd are making posts that seem like veiled transphobia, minimizing (is that the right word?) the experiences of transgender people, and saying that trans people are "fixated" because they want people to use certain pronouns.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 08:56:22 pm by Dozebôm Lolumzalìs »
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: February 03, 2017, 08:59:37 pm »

The context was the link earlier that Covenant posted earlier about some NYC law and, it went from there.

Honestly though, I don't see how that law could be enforced easily. Sure, one could record it with their iphone, but actual malice has to be proved.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 09:01:12 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: February 03, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »

Ameripol is never going to last if people keep posting while angry. We just started this thread, let's not rage it into the dirt until at least 1000 pages.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: February 03, 2017, 09:05:10 pm »

Ameripol is never going to last if people keep posting while angry. We just started this thread, let's not rage it into the dirt until at least 1000 pages.

Which posts per page mode. ;)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: February 03, 2017, 09:06:11 pm »

Which posts per page mode. ;)
The only real and legitimate one, of course.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 3566