Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212593 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2017, 06:45:10 pm »

Must have missed it. But this time, Congressmen drove down there and was turned away. That's new.
In the same speech where Trump said that waterboarding works really well, and torture is okay, he also mentioned that he would look into reopening foreign CIA black sites.
I don't think there's been any mention yet though of using those black sites to detain illegal immigrants.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2017, 06:48:06 pm »

It's not actually actual black sites. They're just moving them to detention centers to bypass the whole, "let lawyers in to see the people detained in the airport". Well, they can't if they're not in the airport.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2017, 06:49:10 pm »

Homeland Security Sec. John Kelly clears the way for green card holders.

That's an improvement at least, now we'll have to see if they actually are let through.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 29, 2017, 06:51:03 pm »

Some more symbolism from the Volkskrant cartoonists
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 29, 2017, 06:53:06 pm »

What? That's like barely symbolism, and boring at that. You call Vollskrant and tell them to step up their game.

This wouldn't have happened if Trump was drawing these anti-Trump cartoons. He employs the best cartoonists. Just the best you've ever seen. It's yuge.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2017, 06:54:10 pm »

relevant NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/us/politics/white-house-official-in-reversal-says-green-card-holders-wont-be-barred.html

highlighted relevant parts.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2017, 06:55:36 pm »

Remember that thing about people saying they'd leave America if Trump got in, and articles saying "you say that every election. It never happens".

Well maybe this time. Remember that Alabama anti-illegal-immigrant law? Well the dragnet caught a lot of tourists, visiting business executives (including German business executives from Mercedes), regular immigrants etc. And there was actually a physical exodus from Alabama. Trump's proposals are at least at that level. The real problem is that there's no way to be sure anyone is or is not an illegal until you arrest and doxx them. So as in Alabama, if there are tough anti-illegal measures in place, if you leave the house without your "papers" then you could be in big trouble if you're pulled up by any law enforcement official. The real risk is if Trump basically creates manadatory identity checks any time you interact with law enforcement, like they did in Alabama.

There were predictions I made back when "round up and kick out 11 million people" were made, that you'd have to basically create a Gestapo with wide-ranging surveillance powers over ALL Americans to achieve that. I'd hoped they'd never be tested, in fact I still hoped that until 1 week ago. But then, ya know ...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:05:47 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 29, 2017, 06:58:38 pm »

Most states already have laws requiring people to identify themselves to cops, either as a crime to not do so or permitting arrest and detainment of the unidentified to ensure they aren't criminals.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 29, 2017, 06:58:43 pm »

Remember that thing about people saying they'd leave America if Trump got in, and articles saying "you say that every election. It never happens".

Well maybe this time. Remember that Alabama anti-illegal-immigrant law? Well the dragnet caught a lot of tourists, visiting business executives (including German business executives from Mercedes), regular immigrants etc. And there was actually a physical exodus from Alabama. Trump's proposals are at least at that level.

The real problem is that there's no way to be sure anyone is or is not an illegal until you arrest and doxx them. So as in Alabama, if there are tough anti-illegal measures in place, if you leave the house without your "papers" then you could be in big trouble if you're pulled up by any law enforcement official. The real risk is if Trump basically creates manadatory identity checks any time you interact with law enforcement, like they did in Alabama.
im getting my Canadian passport picture taken today just in case. also i heard my dad talking with my grandpa about getting citizenship as he is a resident. sounds silly but that how this is making immigrants feel.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 29, 2017, 06:59:56 pm »

Well maybe this time. Remember that Alabama anti-illegal-immigrant law? Well the dragnet caught a lot of tourists, visiting business executives (including German business executives from Mercedes), regular immigrants etc. And there was actually a physical exodus from Alabama. Trump's proposals are at least at that level. The real problem is that there's no way to be sure anyone is or is not an illegal until you arrest and doxx them. So as in Alabama, if there are tough anti-illegal measures in place, if you leave the house without your "papers" then you could be in big trouble if you're pulled up by any law enforcement official. The real risk is if Trump basically creates manadatory identity checks any time you interact with law enforcement, like they did in Alabama.

There were predictions I made back when "round up and kick out 11 million people" were made, that you'd have to basically create a Gestapo with wide-ranging surveillance powers over ALL Americans to achieve that. I'd hoped they'd never be tested, in fact I still hoped that until 1 week ago. But then, ya know ...

The effect is already happening: http://www.vox.com/2017/1/29/14429500/trumps-immigration-ban-science-research

There's also the fact that they are considering requiring foriegn visitors to provide social media and cellphone information, otherwise they'd be barred. I can see that having a bad effect on tourism.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 29, 2017, 07:13:05 pm »

I'd like to take this opportunity to congratulate my distant relative James Buchanan on no longer running the most ignominious administration in American history.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 29, 2017, 07:15:29 pm »

The ICE executive order is actually worrying. It expands ICE by 10000. Basically they have to find 10000 officers from somewhere. And the usually supply for that is people who want into law enforcement/military/security but never cut the mustard, or had personality problems. Basically you need 10000 security-trained people who don't already have a proper job. And those people are bottom of the barrel. Basically rapidly expanding a law-enforcement arm lowers hiring and training standards. That's just a thing. It's like saying you're going to expand enrolment in Particle Physics degrees by 10 fold, and therefore we'll have 10 times the research in Particle Physics. It doesn't work like that.

Also, I've read articles where they talk to regular police, and they complain that the Border Patrol people are already under-trained trigger happy cowboys. Basically they're not "police plus" they're "police minus". And they're going to scrape the barrel further to find another 10000 of these people? How about we kill two birds with one stone and empty prisons out to be the ICE officers?

So not only are they going to be recruiting a lot of sub-par officers from some fantasy-land pool of dedicated and talented officers that doesn't exist, they're also giving them vast new powers to interfere with how regular people live. Basically on their say-so they could now personally threaten to detain a non-citizen mother with children because she got a parking ticket. That's in line with Trump's Executive Order. Sure, maybe it would get bogged down in the courts, but the immigration officer can still threaten the mother with that, she gets stuck in county and her kids in foster care, while the mess is sorted out, unless she sucks his dick on a regular basis. So you're going to get abuse, rape, sex slavery out of this. I'm not really exaggerating. You put powerful, unsupervised men in a position of authority over women and their kids, who have the right to split up families, and they're going to sexually exploit that power. It's just common sense that this would happen.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 07:19:56 pm by Reelya »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 29, 2017, 07:17:55 pm »

I have literally never once heard anything positive about ICE, even from people who are otherwise police-apologists.
No Gods, No Masters.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 29, 2017, 07:18:33 pm »

Shit is getting depressing. Have some more twitter nonsense to lighten up.
https://twitter.com/williamjordann/status/825781634330980352
"Days until achieving MAJORITY disapproval from @Gallup

Reagan: 727
Bush I: 1336
Clinton: 573
Bush II: 1205
Obama: 936

Trump: 8. days."

... on second thought, this isn't working.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 3566