Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4212565 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2017, 06:30:25 pm »

Can the president be arrested for contempt of court?

Nope, he could even grab a judge by the pussy, and there would still be no legal consequence. As president he cannot stand trial. Whether or not he'd be impeached after that or not is another matter.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2017, 06:30:33 pm »

Only if that court is the Senate.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:10 pm »

At least we might be able to punch CBP in the balls for being idiots, but seriously?  Seriously?

I can't help but expect actual civil war.  Or at least largescale riotous behavior.

Good question!  Maybe!  Don't think so!  He can probably be impeached though!

Dammit, I'd rather have Pence than this and Pence is evil.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 29, 2017, 06:31:26 pm »

I hope this reaches the SCOTUS quickly, because this needs some legal brakes on it, fast.

Still though, this is emblematic of the whole chaos, and if those 'black sites' are real, then this is really stupid.

five new replies, ack

@Reelya, I know and agree that it doesn't look like it was anything tangible, but you have to remember that there is a hell of a lot of information that they aren't willing to give.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:36:37 pm by smjjames »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:23 pm »

Ack is right.

Also, yes please SCOTUS.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2017, 06:35:52 pm »

Shit has officially hit the fan as Customs and Border Protection officers are detaining people and ignoring federal court orders by refusing people access to lawyers. And turn away Congressmen as well, which I assume are also lawyers.

And they're also detaining US citizens with dual citizenship and now sending people to offsite detention centers.

Edit. This is happening in Dulles Airport outside DC.

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/825797672258961409
"We have a constitutional crisis today. Four Members of Congress asked CBP officials to enforce a federal court order and were turned away."

https://twitter.com/AdamBlickstein/status/825837466213052416
"This is astonishing from same lawyer friend on the ground at Dulles. CBP basically creating travel ban black sites"

Beat y'all to this already:
All of that talk about constitutionality of these decisions is not super relevant, because Trump's executive branch is already violating that federal court order to let poor people stuck at the airports in, see lawyers, be subject to a proper due process, etc.

Though, it's from Twitter, so take that with a grain of salt.
And, black sites, lolwut? Are they planning to put the Trump's torture plan into action immediately?
._.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2017, 06:36:56 pm »

In particular, if Trump or the CBP are fucking with dual American citizens, that is very very obviously a constitutional violation without any sort of jurisprudence to back it up, as far as I know.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2017, 06:37:06 pm »

For the sake of everybody's clarification: The President is immune to prosecution for actions taken as President in totality, and actions before being President while they're in office, but this is with the exception of recall by Congress. Impeachment is declared by the House, this is the equivalent to being charged with a crime. The resultant trial is held by the Senate with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court as presiding judge.

I feel we're probably going to need to all be refreshed on this information. Especially considering 35% of voters currently support Trump's impeachment.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:38:45 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2017, 06:38:38 pm »

Meanwhile in the UK, May was forced by pressure from within her own party to order her ministers of Foreign Affairs, and Internal Affairs to officially protest Trumps new immigration policy with their respective US colleagues.

Opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn has suggested that Trump's visit to the UK should be cancelled, and he should be denied access to the UK. An online petition for it has already gotten 800000 signatures. A debate in parliament is planned to decide if Trump will be banned from the UK (only 100000 signatures are needed for that).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/29/petition-calling-donald-trumps-state-visit-uk-cancelled-gets/

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-38788388
« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 06:41:05 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2017, 06:40:15 pm »

For the sake of everybody's clarification: The President is immune to prosecution for actions taken as President in totality, and actions before being President while they're in office, but this is with the exception of recall by Congress. Impeachment is declared by the House, this is the equivalent to being charged with a crime. The resultant trial is held by the Senate with the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court as presiding judge.

I feel we're probably going to need to all be refreshed on this information. Especially considering 35% of voters currently support Trump's impeachment.
That's with 50% against, but still huge.
Sigtext

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2017, 06:40:47 pm »

Won't stop people from using lawsuits to stop this stuff or knock down the ban.

Also, the 'black sites' thing may just be ancedotial, I haven't heard or seen it elsewhere. It's just the chaos surrounding this whole thing.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2017, 06:40:59 pm »

All of that talk about constitutionality of these decisions is not super relevant, because Trump's executive branch is already violating that federal court order to let poor people stuck at the airports in, see lawyers, be subject to a proper due process, etc.

And, black sites, lolwut? Are they planning to put the Trump's torture plan into action immediately?
Must have missed it. But this time, Congressmen drove down there and was turned away. That's new.

Vilanat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2017, 06:41:42 pm »

I wonder how many people were denied entry this last day. was it in the tens, hundreds?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2017, 06:42:55 pm »

Must have missed it. But this time, Congressmen drove down there and was turned away. That's new.

I'd wait until we get more information and other sources as to what's going on. Immigration detention centers are a thing, yes, but we still need to see what is going on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2017, 06:43:46 pm »

In other news: Heard from the Guardian (and the website of the march itself) that people are organizing a March for Science across the country.
Sigtext

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 3566