Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2869 2870 [2871] 2872 2873 ... 3569

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4245159 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #43050 on: January 08, 2021, 03:08:20 pm »

Love how Republicans that have been complicit in keeping Trump’s base fired up to the point they stormed government are now saying the democrats shouldn’t do anything to fire up his base further.
Right?  I loved hearing NPR interview a McConnell staffer about how Biden is very wise for not pushing The Green New Deal, equating it to Trump's election-fraud in terms of divisiveness.  She was lauding him for being so moderate that he won't do anything with the trifecta.  So now we can heal or whatever by maintaining the status quo.

I find this message... frustrating... and I worry that it's very appealing to liberal voters and particularly politicians.  Which sucks since everything is obviously collapsing without an actual course-correction.

Tbh it almost feels like a thinly veiled threat.
"Look at this mob of angry idiots we've cultivated over the past several years, look how easily they get upset and what they're capable of when they're upset. You wouldn't want to upset them, would you?"

To which I say fuck that noise, let the idiots be upset and riot, that way you can throw the lot in jail, show them that a normal society isn't a fucking kindergarten where you can get your way if you temper tantrum hard enough.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #43051 on: January 08, 2021, 03:09:47 pm »

To which I say fuck that noise, let the idiots be upset and riot, that way you can throw the lot in jail, show them that a normal society isn't a fucking kindergarten where you can get your way if you temper tantrum hard enough.

You could say they need to be reminded we live in a society. [/badmeme]
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43052 on: January 08, 2021, 03:22:43 pm »

Lindsey Graham can kiss my ass.

Where was he asking Trump to let the nation heal? Where's his "we were completely fucking wrong, please save us Joe Biden" statement? I'm so fucking sick of Republicans asking other people to be the better person while disavowing their own responsibility for it.

No. Jail time. For the lot of them. They can do their fucking healing in prison and we can have it on the record that the entire Republican establishment threw their unwavering support behind people that are in jail for treason.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 03:25:21 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43053 on: January 08, 2021, 03:25:59 pm »

Love how Republicans that have been complicit in keeping Trump’s base fired up to the point they stormed government are now saying the democrats shouldn’t do anything to fire up his base further.
Right?  I loved hearing NPR interview a McConnell staffer about how Biden is very wise for not pushing The Green New Deal, equating it to Trump's election-fraud in terms of divisiveness.  She was lauding him for being so moderate that he won't do anything with the trifecta.  So now we can heal or whatever by maintaining the status quo.

I find this message... frustrating... and I worry that it's very appealing to liberal voters and particularly politicians.  Which sucks since everything is obviously collapsing without an actual course-correction.

Tbh it almost feels like a thinly veiled threat.
"Look at this mob of angry idiots we've cultivated over the past several years, look how easily they get upset and what they're capable of when they're upset. You wouldn't want to upset them, would you?"

It is a threat, yeah, but she obviously said it a lot nicer than my paraphrasing.  All reaching across the aisle, wanting to heal and protect our institutions, etc.  My parents desperately want Biden to deescalate and "heal the divide" with yet more compromise.

And they aren't entirely wrong, if you care about the Nation as an institution more than... people, justice, breathable air, etc.  The results of discrediting the government like this is that some people will flock to authoritarianism for safety.  Even the same faction who did the terrorism.  This has happened in other countries all the time (often US-backed).

Yeah, WTF?  I didn't have any idea Don Jr was there either.  I assumed this was "just" stochastic terrorism orchestrated by domestic officially-not-terrorist militias, but part of the imperial family there on the ground fanning the flames?  The Trumps SUCK at plausible deniability.  (I like to think the Republican establishment facepalm at every amateur move like this... and then cry as they bail him out)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43054 on: January 08, 2021, 04:07:52 pm »

Maybe its been talked about, maybe its the last page. I'm trying to avoid this all together but I had to post it. I have way more things to be stressed about than political garbage (like a very close loved one almost died a month ago, with 0 chance to survive and was given 1-2 good days and then it be over after 3-4 days. so for them to recover back to how they were before, is a medical miracle...either way...point is way more things I need to worry about. But this...this is wtf)

Why are cops that have been filmed literally leading traitors through the building

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1347615998610911234

There is another video but can't seem to find it, another cop is actually directing traitors up the stairs of capitol and seems like he is trying to be the leader of the group.

Of course the selfies with the cops smiling, another selfie with a cop smiling AND giving a thumbs up...

cops literally letting the traitors in so they can take over the building

Wtf is going on. If this isn't a reason to defund the police on top of all the other reasons the past years, then nothing is good enough to be a reason for it.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43055 on: January 08, 2021, 04:21:35 pm »

FBI raided a couple of Tennessee Republican politicians today.
Hmmm, now where will this lead?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43056 on: January 08, 2021, 04:21:58 pm »

There was that police precinct they broke into and burnt down near the beginning. Also that federal court they tried to break into and kept tossing molotovs inside, which resulted in Trump deploying the national guard. Plus a number of government buildings they occupied peacefully.

BLM riots were less bold, but there was plenty of opportunity for bad actors to do stuff because of how long they lasted.

From what I've seen/read from back then, at least, in DC the truly violent parts (e.g. torching buildings) were at night (i.e. not during hours of operation). To me that makes a difference, especially because the breaking in to the capitol was during the reading and consideration of electors for the presidential election, while members of congress (and the VP!) were gathered together.

(Not excusing torching buildings, mind, though I personally still support the BLM movement regardless of the violence that occurred amongst the protests. The riots after Rodney King didn't invalidate what the police did to him.)

[actions of the capitol police]

Yeah, as some reporters have noted there are definitely going to be plenty of angry hearings and changes as a result of this. Several high-level resignations already. The Capitol Police's budget is not small, either - roughly $500,000,000 and with about 2,000 officers.

In my personal experience as a person-who-occasionally-lobbies-congress, I can say the officers I've encountered there seemed largely (but not entirely) decent enough but not terribly well trained. (Edit: I should probably caveat this by noting that I'm white and look/am thoroughly nonthreatening.)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 04:48:51 pm by Dostoevsky »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #43057 on: January 08, 2021, 04:46:41 pm »

We spend how much money on defense annually? Billions?
And yet the capital building fell to some weekend warriors and some Viking wannabe?

Yes, and also a notable number of police and military. Defense works better when they're actually trying to defend something.

My cousins, at the ages of like 8 through 12 had rifles pointed at them for walking the wrong way around the Capitol when they went to a tour, once.

Literal children who were lost got more resistance.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43058 on: January 08, 2021, 04:49:49 pm »

Maybe its been talked about, maybe its the last page. I'm trying to avoid this all together but I had to post it. I have way more things to be stressed about than political garbage (like a very close loved one almost died a month ago, with 0 chance to survive and was given 1-2 good days and then it be over after 3-4 days. so for them to recover back to how they were before, is a medical miracle...either way...point is way more things I need to worry about. But this...this is wtf)

Why are cops that have been filmed literally leading traitors through the building

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1347615998610911234

There is another video but can't seem to find it, another cop is actually directing traitors up the stairs of capitol and seems like he is trying to be the leader of the group.

Of course the selfies with the cops smiling, another selfie with a cop smiling AND giving a thumbs up...

cops literally letting the traitors in so they can take over the building

Wtf is going on. If this isn't a reason to defund the police on top of all the other reasons the past years, then nothing is good enough to be a reason for it.

Yeah, there were also several cops in the group being helped. Not really a surprise.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #43059 on: January 08, 2021, 04:55:45 pm »

In another unusual death related to the so-called uprising, a woman was trampled to death by the mob.
She was carrying a 'Don't tread on me" flag
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #43060 on: January 08, 2021, 05:04:19 pm »

In another unusual death related to the so-called uprising, a woman was trampled to death by the mob.
She was carrying a 'Don't tread on me" flag

The truth is stupider than fiction.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #43061 on: January 08, 2021, 05:08:32 pm »

Impeachment articles have been drafted, with expectation they may be introduced Monday.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43062 on: January 08, 2021, 05:15:12 pm »

Noting the comments about the police letting the proto-mob in are full of "but MSM won't show this" and "the government ordered it", i.e. taking the completely different conclusion from this that the footage is an argument against it being a Trump invasion (maybe an indicator of the ultimate false-flaggedness of it).

I'm not saying I'm not stuck in my own bubble of nuanced interpretation, but they certainly are.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43063 on: January 08, 2021, 05:37:16 pm »

I've definitely seen 'MSM' reporting showing it, at least my on a couple of my local news stations (I live in the DC area). Big publication reporters have shared them on their twitter accounts, but no idea if that counts.

(Now that I think about it, the local station that's owned by Sinclair didn't show it.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43064 on: January 08, 2021, 06:01:54 pm »

Some state legislators were involved in the attack.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2869 2870 [2871] 2872 2873 ... 3569