Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1686 1687 [1688] 1689 1690 ... 3566

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4224208 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #25305 on: November 07, 2018, 05:21:58 pm »

I've read that the new House leadership had already said they will bring Mueller back on to release everything he can to the public.

I expected Sessions to resign/get fired, but if Trump and his cronies make a move any farther things will only get worse for them. I don't know much about Sessions replacement, but I don't expect too much more shake-ups in leadership.

Hell, if Trump gets rid of Saint Mattis, he'll lose quite a free military members. Maybe not that many, but the way Mattis is reverenced by the entire military I'd expect fallout from that as well.

And I doubt Trump will actually do anything to Rosenstein. That would be very bad for him.

Edit to add: Rosenstein is no longer overseeing the Mueller investigation, as he was only going so because Sessions recused himself.

The appointment of the replacement has triggered a wave of protests, because the replacement has refused to recuse himself and has shown himself to be again the investigation.

https://www.trumpisnotabovethelaw.org/event/mueller-firing-rapid-response/search/
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:45:06 pm by Lich180 »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25306 on: November 07, 2018, 09:59:46 pm »

I think it's pretty clear that we're well past the point when it seemed some republicans might back impeachment, so my bet is that the Käse Kaiser will get away with ending the investigation whether the results become public or not.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25307 on: November 08, 2018, 12:32:24 am »

I think he's going to try the subtle route first. If he just ends the Mueller investigation, the House has a stronger justification for investigating him more aggressively on everything else, to say nothing of the resultant inquiry into why he ended it.

If nothing else, Democrats can always get his tax returns from the IRS, view them in a secret meeting, come out implying whatever they like and then dare him to prove them wrong by making them public. They won't, of course, but it's exactly the sort of artlessly flashy schoolyard bullying he'd love to pull and so the specter of it will loom large in his mind.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25308 on: November 08, 2018, 01:09:52 am »

Trump being subtle? He doesn't seem to do subtle all that well.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25309 on: November 08, 2018, 03:42:47 am »

Trump being subtle? He doesn't seem to do subtle all that well.
On the contrary, he does it the best. He's the greatest at subtlety, he does yuge subtlety, it's tremendous. Everyone says so!

The only reason you haven't noticed him doing subtle things is because it's too subtle for you to see. Bigly subtle.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #25310 on: November 08, 2018, 03:50:39 am »

The only reason you haven't noticed him doing subtle things is because it's too subtle for you to see. Bigly subtle.

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25311 on: November 08, 2018, 07:22:55 am »

CA Bar Shooting

12 dead, including gunman and a deputy. 12+ additional injuries.

Edit: Police update said that the facility had multiple security guards on site; they were the first to be killed.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:08:25 am by Folly »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #25312 on: November 08, 2018, 09:21:09 am »

Ruth Bader Ginsburg falls, fractures 3 ribs.

In the interest of good old fashioned fear mongering, I am going to predict that this will definitely lead directly to her retirement, allowing Trump to install another extreme right-wing croney in the Supreme Court, which will result in new hyper-conservative policies that eventually cause the complete extinction of all life on Earth. The endtimes are upon us now...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25313 on: November 08, 2018, 10:05:49 am »

In the interest of good old fashioned fear mongering, I am going to predict that this will definitely lead directly to her retirement, allowing Trump to install another extreme right-wing croney in the Supreme Court, which will result in new hyper-conservative policies that eventually cause the complete extinction of all life on Earth. The endtimes are upon us now...

And I counter your fearmongering with she's hurt her ribs before and is a tough woman. (yes, I know you're just messing around with the fearmongering)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:10:08 am by smjjames »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25314 on: November 08, 2018, 10:09:38 am »

All right people, this is not a drill.
Withers -- chicken soup, stat!
Johnson -- Pad the fuck out of everything in her office. I want to be able to take a swandive in there and land softer than a baby's bottom!
Kowalski -- you've got some ribs you don't need, right?

EDIT: Oh, and thoughts and prayers, yadda yadda, nobody gives a fuck anymore because we're all just ducks in a carnival shooting gallery now. That's just life in America.

We lived for forty years waking up every day knowing the Russkies could turn us into hot vapor at any moment, I guess we can learn to live with waking up knowing we could be mowed down in a hail of bullets at any time for any reason, either from a nutbag, a political partisan, or just good old-fashioned cops.

DOUBLE EDIT: More detail on the Thousand Oaks shooting, since my day is pretty much fucked now and this is what I'm going to obsess over.

First off, I'd just like to note that when I googled "CA mass shooting", autocomplete was like "Oh, which one? Stockton? San Bernadino? Thousand Oaks?" So...yeah.

Shooter identified as Ian David Long, 28 (some sources saying 29), ex-Marine. Heavily tattooed, though no information yet if those tattoos are significant (i.e. white supremacist, gang affiliations, etc). Used a modified .45 handgun with an extended clip. No motive known at this time. Long had recently undergone a psych eval, though no information as to the result.

Long shot and killed the armed security guard at the door first, then 10 others including a sheriff's deputy responding to the incident. Possibly targeted a female cashier who worked at the establishment, which was a bar and grill with a large dance floor, typically used for country line dancing. It was "College Country Night" and the bar was filled with mostly students from nearby Pepperdine University.

Apparently at least some of the people in the bar were actually survivors of the Las Vegas mass shooting.  ::)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 10:38:07 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25315 on: November 08, 2018, 10:43:11 am »

Long shot and killed the armed security guard at the door first, then 10 others including a sheriff's deputy responding to the incident. Possibly targeted a female cashier who worked at the establishment, which was a bar and grill with a large dance floor, typically used for country line dancing. It was "College Country Night" and the bar was filled with mostly students from nearby Pepperdine University.

Apparently at least some of the people in the bar were actually survivors of the Las Vegas mass shooting.  ::)

Bolded for emphasis. So much for 'good guys with guns' and 'shoulda had armed guards' right? Also, the gun he had was legally purchased.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25316 on: November 08, 2018, 10:55:01 am »

Bolded for emphasis. So much for 'good guys with guns' and 'shoulda had armed guards' right? Also, the gun he had was legally purchased.
I'm waiting for the NRA to say "if only he had been MORE armed".
Presumably the solution now is to place sentry turrets in every public place in America, armed with dual chainguns and a grenade launcher. Because that's easier than PASSING SOME GODDAMN GUN REFORM.

Oh, and the MAGA crowd is being classy as always over the RBG news.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25317 on: November 08, 2018, 11:00:22 am »

Presumably the solution now is to place sentry turrets in every public place in America, armed with dual chainguns and a grenade launcher. Because that's easier than PASSING SOME GODDAMN GUN REFORM.

Politically, it is. The NRA creates extremely motivated single-issue voters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25318 on: November 08, 2018, 11:28:50 am »

Jesus fuck...reports out that Trump is considering Chris Christie and Pam Bondi (Florida Attorney General and frequent Fox News personality -- dno't fucking asking me how she can be both at the same time, because conflict of interest is no longer a thing that has any meaning) to replace Sessions.

Not sure how much more I can take in one day.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25319 on: November 08, 2018, 11:34:50 am »

Until New Vegas Securitrons patrol the streets, there can be no peace in America. Also, have we gotten to the point where we can accuse the NRA of enabling terrorism?

In any case, whatever Trump does with his next two years of the Senate, I can't wait for the 2020 Senate Map. The reason Dems lost the Senate was it was so heavily tilted away from them. I mean really, they were competing for Texas and Missouri. Texas and Missouri! What can you do with that? People have always predicted that Texas may turn purple. Tuesday was a sign that that wasn't all just hot air.

Also, Doug Jones is up for election in 2020. That makes me sad. I really like having a Democratic Senator from Alabama. Same reason I liked Claire McCaskill. Oh what a sad day Tuesday was.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 ... 1686 1687 [1688] 1689 1690 ... 3566