Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229101 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #18045 on: March 12, 2018, 05:39:30 pm »

As if white people are the only ones who do that, but I get the point that person is making.

The House Intel Commitee Republicans are ending the Russia probe they are doing, say they found no collusion and no signs that Russia meddled to specifically help Trump. It'd be for the best anyway since it became a major farce what with the partianship. The Senate investigation and Muellers probe are still ongoing.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 05:41:30 pm by smjjames »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18046 on: March 12, 2018, 05:53:31 pm »

Very much this. I've thought for long time now that Trump is the icon of a Christian politician, in realistic terms. If you strip away the rhetoric, you don't have people who are enlightened or live a different lifestyle, just ones enamored of masks and guilt.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18047 on: March 12, 2018, 07:13:47 pm »

Oh look, another internet personality who "accidentally" accuses all members of a religion, everywhere, specifically ones of a certain race, of being raping, child abusing monsters who beat their spouses. What a window into an enlightened future this is. If you replaced "White Evangelicals" with "Muslims" you'd have 12k replies about hate speech.

I'm going to sign up immediately.

“We found no evidence of collusion,” Conaway said Monday. “We found perhaps some bad judgment, inappropriate meetings, inappropriate judgment in taking meetings — but only Tom Clancy could take this series of inadvertent contacts, meetings, whatever, and weave that into some sort of a spy thriller that could go out there.”

Tom Clancy, or practically everyone on social media/the internet/opponents in DC over the last year. Excuse me for being jaded and waspish for once, but good job to everyone who helped Trump to seem as squeaky clean as possible, and all his claims about media bias and fake news as legit as possible. This is why I stay as far away from anything that resembles associating with a partisan party.

I'm even going to go as far as to say that comments like the one "not stated tactically" above are significantly responsible for him being in office. What excuse are we going to find now for his being elected, I wonder? And when those accusations cave, who will we blame for that?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18048 on: March 12, 2018, 07:21:42 pm »

Aren't parties inherently partisan?

We'll never really know how much the Russian trolls affected voting given that they were tapping into feelings that already existed, but there's no evidence that they directly tampered with vote counts. The whole collusion thing is the fact that Trump and his campaign kept doing shady stuff that campaigns and transition teams wouldn't typically do.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 07:23:30 pm by smjjames »

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18049 on: March 12, 2018, 07:58:37 pm »

A partisan party sounds like it could be fun... if maybe a little bit stabby if the liquor starts flowing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18050 on: March 12, 2018, 08:10:27 pm »

Aren't parties inherently partisan?

We'll never really know how much the Russian trolls affected voting given that they were tapping into feelings that already existed, but there's no evidence that they directly tampered with vote counts. The whole collusion thing is the fact that Trump and his campaign kept doing shady stuff that campaigns and transition teams wouldn't typically do.

A partisan party sounds like it could be fun... if maybe a little bit stabby if the liquor starts flowing.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

These made me laugh, and I needed that :)

At least they said that Trump and his campaign team used "bad judgment, inappropriate meetings, inappropriate judgment". We already knew that though.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #18051 on: March 12, 2018, 08:39:20 pm »

All that did was remind me that Tom Clancy is dead. Now I'm sad.

As a person, it is sad that he is gone.

As a writer? He'd pretty much been dead for years when he went.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18052 on: March 12, 2018, 09:53:39 pm »

Oh look, another internet personality who "accidentally" accuses all members of a religion, everywhere, specifically ones of a certain race, of being raping, child abusing monsters who beat their spouses. What a window into an enlightened future this is. If you replaced "White Evangelicals" with "Muslims" you'd have 12k replies about hate speech.

Umm no... "white evangelicals" is not close to accusing all members of a race and religion, everywhere, of anything.  Evangelical is an abusable word, as mentioned in this thread recently, but in no one's lexicon does it refer to all members of a religion.  And if you look at the high-profile political/religious leaders of the religious right, they all have skeletons in their closets (of the kind mentioned) that are always forgiven when caught, but opponents are unholy abominations for.

My belief as to why is they cling to the validation of projection-based coping mechanisms for their internal contradictions.  They set an authoritative example of behavior that can be emulated, which allows them to transform their self-loathing into an energizing, empowering, outwardly projected force of righteous anger.  Trump just inspires them to dig deeper.

I'm even going to go as far as to say that comments like the one "not stated tactically" above are significantly responsible for him being in office. What excuse are we going to find now for his being elected, I wonder? And when those accusations cave, who will we blame for that?

There's times for both.  It's one thing to attempt sincere, constructive engagement on a personal level with others over disagreements.  It's another thing to lie to each other about what exactly the problems are that you're dealing with on a broader scale.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 09:55:24 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18053 on: March 12, 2018, 10:40:48 pm »

Umm no... "white evangelicals" is not close to accusing all members of a race and religion, everywhere, of anything.  Evangelical is an abusable word, as mentioned in this thread recently, but in no one's lexicon does it refer to all members of a religion.  And if you look at the high-profile political/religious leaders of the religious right, they all have skeletons in their closets (of the kind mentioned) that are always forgiven when caught, but opponents are unholy abominations for.

My belief as to why is they cling to the validation of projection-based coping mechanisms for their internal contradictions.  They set an authoritative example of behavior that can be emulated, which allows them to transform their self-loathing into an energizing, empowering, outwardly projected force of righteous anger.  Trump just inspires them to dig deeper.

There's times for both.  It's one thing to attempt sincere, constructive engagement on a personal level with others over disagreements.  It's another thing to lie to each other about what exactly the problems are that you're dealing with on a broader scale.

Uhm..

Evangelicalism is a branch of protestantism.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evangelicalism

It most certainly is a very broad brush to paint with.

"Evangelist" and "Evangelical" are not quite the same thing.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 10:44:06 pm by wierd »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #18054 on: March 12, 2018, 10:54:30 pm »

I acknowledged that it's a problematic term, with reference to recent discussion in this thread on the same point.  But it's often used in common parlance, and very obviously in the image quote, it's synonymous with outspoken fundamentalist hellfire-vomiting bible thumpers.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18055 on: March 12, 2018, 10:58:02 pm »

The broad-brushness of the statement is a bit off-putting.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18056 on: March 13, 2018, 07:15:59 am »

For fuck's sake folks, there is a reason people refer to the "Bible Belt" in a way that I've--thus far--never heard intended positively. The term should probably bring up images of "god-fearin' 'muricans what's just want ta save them poor babies from bein' killed, as it is the biggest problem facin' our great nation after alla them lazy shiftless aliens stealin' our jerbs 'n rapin' our neighbors" and obviously when someone brings up the hypocrisy and self-deception in a group which they slap the label "evangelicals" on top of... they don't mean "ALL PROTESTANT EVANGELICALS ARE SHITBAGS EVERYWHERE" but there is a goddamn disgusting side of the US evangelical culture which is quietly accepted by the rest, if not endorsed fully by the rest of said group.

So yeah, when you rub shoulders with shitty people and accept them in your group, your group gets shit on it. We're long past the point where anybody can claim innocence or try to No True Scotsman their way out of this one: not all evangelicals are shitbags but they don't make much effort to distance themselves or deny association with really shitty motherfuckers. It sucks, I know lots of really genuinely sweet people who fit in that broad chunk of US faiths, seeing them tolerate fuckers like Reagan and the tv conmen didn't do much to inspire any sort of fondness for that branch of faiths 30 years ago. Watching Trump get elected with their help and Roy Moore almost winning sure as hell didn't endear them to me either, but I'm speaking as someone outside of the whole religion thing entirely so there's no inherent connection or foundational beliefs to form an initial positive expectation from, and lots of reasons to avoid giving benefit of the doubt to someone who pushes that as a key part of their identity... sorry?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #18057 on: March 13, 2018, 07:21:58 am »

While I agree with everything you say, I'd have to add ; when the left accepts insane SJW and adopt the "white man is the source of all evil" mantra, this is the same deal. People need to clean their own houses and realize extremisms feed off each other.

Also quick update, south korea has filled up a formal complaint for US malpractices in their antidumping tariffs evaluation, the 20 february 2018. Apparently even US inspectors are going rogue and using obsolete methods that are not allowed anymore under current WTO rule.

From what it appears, negociations have a span of two months (60 days) during which SK and US can form an agreement. Past this period, if no agreement has been reached, SK can ask for an arbitration which has an overruling authority. Documents are not available yet, but will soon be public.

Edit : nevermind, they already are on the wto website. This may be a way out the pending economic crisis we're seing coming through because some dude needs to score political points
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 07:38:10 am by Cathar »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18058 on: March 13, 2018, 08:28:08 am »

Aaaannnnddd tillerson is out. To replaced by something that sounds like a volcano and unfortunately appears to possibly be worse than tillerson for anyone not crawled up the GOP's digestive system (well, probably them, too, but gods know it wouldn't be admitted). Not that it makes terribly much of a difference these days when republicans (barring maybe like two in congress or somethin') regardless of extreme views vote lockstep with whoever has a R by their name that walks up and shits on the rug, but whatever.

But anywaaay. Another one gone, etc., etc.

As if white people are the only ones who do that, but I get the point that person is making.

The House Intel Commitee Republicans are ending the Russia probe they are doing, say they found no collusion and no signs that Russia meddled to specifically help Trump. It'd be for the best anyway since it became a major farce what with the partianship. The Senate investigation and Muellers probe are still ongoing.
Also this is your day's reminder "collusion" means precisely jack all from a legal perspective. There's no charge, it's not illegal, so on, so forth. Though the no signs thing is blatant bullshittery I'm pretty sure you could disprove at this point watching goddamn fox news, never mind anything worth a damn news wise.

Meuller's been hitting/is going to hit people with charges for conspiracy, and related issues. Which actually exists as a legal concept, unlike collusion. Not that you should put stock in much of anything coming out the republican intel committee members at this point. Maybe after something fortunate for the rest of us happens to nunes.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18059 on: March 13, 2018, 08:34:07 am »

While I agree with everything you say, I'd have to add ; when the left accepts insane SJW and adopt the "white man is the source of all evil" mantra, this is the same deal. People need to clean their own houses and realize extremisms feed off each other.
Some people may call themselves Evangelical, and not at all in the 'reclaiming the insult that They use for our kind' way, but SJW is a pejorative term, and often a Straw Man(/Person) at that.

We might as well just say Snowflake, whoever we are and whoever we're therefore disparaging. (As an added bonus, it annoys all those who are not lillywhite(!) Does that sound good to you?)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 08:35:44 am by Starver »
Pages: 1 ... 1202 1203 [1204] 1205 1206 ... 3567