Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 [1206] 1207 1208 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4229357 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: AmeriPol: Russia investigation sheneinighans
« Reply #18075 on: March 13, 2018, 11:20:39 am »

My spidey sense are tingling on that. I can't imagine someone whose job is to gather intel on foreign countries being immune to legal prosecutions in those very countries. I mean spies are regularly captured even among allies and traded against one another, that's part of the game, that's how Sergei whatshisnamesky ended up in UK.
But I can't imagine one of them going in broad daylight, being caught red handed, flashing some kind of immunity and going scot free. A CIA director is just the diretor of US Central Intelligence Agency, she'll be the boss of the spies, she's not a diplomat nor a politician, and is totally foreign to Europe's interest. Why would Europe give her immunity ? Why Europe would even want to have her come to them in the first place?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18076 on: March 13, 2018, 11:27:06 am »

Yes, you're right, having immunity wouldn't make sense, but it does put the US in a bind diplomatically should she be arrested because of the fact that she is a cabinet member.

The whole values part is also important though.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #18077 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:12 am »

To be fair this might shed some light on who gave the donald his idea on waterboarding

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18078 on: March 13, 2018, 11:47:43 am »

He had his ideas on waterboarding way before he became President.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18079 on: March 13, 2018, 11:49:57 am »

I'm reasonably sure his idea of waterboarding involves a fun day at the beach.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #18080 on: March 13, 2018, 12:22:53 pm »

Tillerson out? Why? Calling Trump a moron wasn't enough to get him out, and whatever disagreements he's had he's already had for months. And Pompeo... God, I wish I could remember my White House Kremlinology (hehe), I seem to remember something important about Pompeo or his relationship with Trump or the CIA...

On one hand, this is going to make those North Korea talks even harder. On the other hand, Tillerson has been pretty much single-handedly dismantling the State Department from what I've heard, so it's not necessarily a bad choice in the long-term, just highly unusual in the short term. On the other-other hand, Tillerson was one of the adults in the room on many issues (not all issues mind, just many), from the Iran Deal to Paris Climate Accord to North Korea (Ironic that Trump takes the diplomatic angle on that one, just as he sacks the guy who pushed for it the most). I wish I remembered more about Pompeo, can't remember what his deal is; whether he's a sycophant or Bannonite or "globalist" or what.

How is it that Jeff Sessions of all people is still in Cabinet and no one else is?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18081 on: March 13, 2018, 12:38:01 pm »

Tillerson out? Why? Calling Trump a moron wasn't enough to get him out, and whatever disagreements he's had he's already had for months. And Pompeo... God, I wish I could remember my White House Kremlinology (hehe), I seem to remember something important about Pompeo or his relationship with Trump or the CIA...

On one hand, this is going to make those North Korea talks even harder. On the other hand, Tillerson has been pretty much single-handedly dismantling the State Department from what I've heard, so it's not necessarily a bad choice in the long-term, just highly unusual in the short term. On the other-other hand, Tillerson was one of the adults in the room on many issues (not all issues mind, just many), from the Iran Deal to Paris Climate Accord to North Korea (Ironic that Trump takes the diplomatic angle on that one, just as he sacks the guy who pushed for it the most). I wish I remembered more about Pompeo, can't remember what his deal is; whether he's a sycophant or Bannonite or "globalist" or what.

Not sure if he's unquestioning sycophant level loyalty, but they do have an actual working relationship, has Trumps ear, and Trump trusts him. He's not bannonite and I don't know his stance on being "globalist", but he is pretty hawkish on foriegn policy. Not sure where on the scale of hawkishness on foriegn policy he is compared to other Republicans.

There's also reason to be concerned about his credibility and honesty as he misrepresented the CIA statement saying that they found no effect on the final vote when the CIA never made any judgement on that.

How is it that Jeff Sessions of all people is still in Cabinet and no one else is?

Probably because it'd be even more of a hassle to replace Sessions, given that whoever replaces him would be able to fire Mueller and Democrats want to make sure 10,000% with negative infinity doubt sure that the new AG won't fire Mueller.

SaberToothTiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Wannabe Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18082 on: March 13, 2018, 12:42:23 pm »

us comic book villain level petty evil confirmed
I gaze into its milky depths, searching the wheat and sugar for the meanings I can never find.
It's like tea leaf divination, but with cartoon leprechauns.
There are only two sure things in life: death and taxes and lists and poor arithmetic and overlong jokes and poor memory and probably a few more things.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18083 on: March 13, 2018, 12:48:28 pm »

Sessions is staying by way of the elf-magic, yes yes, Trumple cannot see the Sessions and he cannot fire whom he cannot see.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #18084 on: March 13, 2018, 01:01:57 pm »

Just you wait, MSH. One of these days trump will send out a tweet firing his entire cabinet and every part of the executive whether he has the authority to or not, and then yell about intending it and follow through on live TV.

All the racist cookies in the world won't save sessions at that point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18085 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:59 pm »

At a guess, some part of this is fallout from Hope Hicks departing; we would expect the threshold for dismissal from Trump's cabinet to drop as he loses people who have normally moderated his more impulsive behavior. Disagreements over the idea of meeting with Kim may have precipitated it, to be sure, and it's not like he did an excellent job at the State Department according to its own personnel, but that he was fired via Twitter without an obvious reason would suggest that this is a Trumpian impulse given free reign.

Cohn is arguably another example of the same phenomenon: Trump, with fewer people around who know how to handle him, is going to collide with the "adults in the room" parts of his administration more readily and get rid of them more rapidly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:39:42 pm by Trekkin »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18086 on: March 13, 2018, 01:48:39 pm »

Plus the fact that he is so attentive and responsive to Fox News that I swear Fox will, accidentially or intentionally, make Trump do something incredibly unwise.

He's already gotten to the point where he's unrestrained and theres barely any control or buffer to his impulses.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18088 on: March 13, 2018, 02:35:03 pm »

So, something I just want to point out: McCain hasn't left Arizona since December, due to treatment for his brain cancer. This means that the Senate is at a 50-49 split. Losing a single Republican voter means losing the vote.

Expect no new legislation until McCain returns, which could be not for a very long time.

No new major legislation anyway, they can still do legislation, just nothing that requires relying solely on Republican votes. The fact that it's midterms already complicates the votes anyway, so, they weren't likely to get anything big done just because of that.

Not sure why McCain doesn't bow out, maybe to ensure that there is a Republican getting the seat. Then again, the Arizona governor doesn't appoint a replacement, so, it wouldn't really be 100%.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:37:02 pm by smjjames »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18089 on: March 13, 2018, 02:40:39 pm »

I don't think that's quite the case. All told, I think McCain takes his job seriously and won't step down unless it's made clear in no uncertain terms he won't be able to handle the responsibility of his work and be, essentially, forced to retire.
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 [1206] 1207 1208 ... 3567