Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 3567

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4235374 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: Trump Immigration Boogaloo edition
« Reply #1350 on: February 08, 2017, 02:23:10 am »

Well the article does state that she broke Part 2 of Rule 19, which she did if she was saying the bits of the letter that called into question Session's impartiality regarding non-whites and being a disgrace to the Justice Department.

But it is a pissing stupid rule. If it can be proven a senator has done something "unbecoming of a senator", 'spesh during a debate about their suitability for a position, then there shouldn't be any problem with bringing up that something, surely?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 08, 2017, 02:46:44 am »

Even ignoring the fact that congress runs on precedent and informal procedure as much as the letter of the law, and that is most definitely not a procedure that is actually followed in practice, this is a confirmation hearing.  She's not talking about the guy as a senator, she's talking about him as a potential AG.  Their interpretation of the rule isn't defensible at all.

By that logic, any senator who criticized Obama during his presidential bid should have been gagged, since he was a senator back then.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 08, 2017, 02:59:18 am »

Selective enforcement of rules and laws is a staple of corrupt government.

I will leave it at that.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 08, 2017, 03:06:50 am »

Honestly, the rules committee should probably be maintained by a bunch of judges or something instead of the Congressthralls.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 08, 2017, 03:09:58 am »

I will leave it at that.
Surely procedural bullshit is common to all governments with legislatures, corrupt or otherwise. Procedural bullshit is a sign of contention and dysfunction, not corruption. Besides, there are so many other reasons to consider congress corrupt then procedural bullshit.
Honestly, the rules committee should probably be maintained by a bunch of judges or something instead of the Congressthralls.
I mean at that point why even have a Congress? If you have to start putting judges on the rules committee, why not just put experts on the other committees? Why not just leave Congress to the business of alternating between rubberstamping and filibustering?

We can't just replace congress with the judiciary, as much as we may want to.

Even ignoring the fact that congress runs on precedent and informal procedure as much as the letter of the law, and that is most definitely not a procedure that is actually followed in practice, this is a confirmation hearing.  She's not talking about the guy as a senator, she's talking about him as a potential AG.  Their interpretation of the rule isn't defensible at all.

By that logic, any senator who criticized Obama during his presidential bid should have been gagged, since he was a senator back then.
Reading over McConnell's piece arguing that Neil Gorsuch should get an up-down vote, he said that Harry Reid claimed that Obama's nominees were blocked, then triumphantly announced "We did not block either of Barack Obama's first-term appointments, so he is clearly wrong." (emphasis mine).

The name "Merrick Garland" appeared nowhere in that article.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: February 08, 2017, 03:11:37 am »

This would pretty thoroughly gut separation of powers.

I mean at that point why even have a Congress?

That's a very good question with the most worthless Congress, perhaps, in all of American history.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:14:08 am by muldrake »

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: February 08, 2017, 03:14:35 am »

It's a unique problem of the rules committee. I don't think it should be out of their hands because they're not experts (and they are mostly lawyers anyway), it should be out of their hands because of the obvious conflict of interest.

The rules committee isn't even bound by Constitutional standards, they could easily go all HUAC-style and pass a rule that lets them do something like mark Senators as "hostile" or something and permanently bar them from speaking. The only reason for not doing so is fear of backlash, but apparently that's fake news now and the entire Republican party has been infected with whatever outer realm madness Donald Trump found in the bottom of a White Castle deep fryer 40 years ago.

And it wouldn't "gut separation of powers", it is a separation of power, much like the President being unable to just declare Cousin Bubba the Secretary of State without review.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:16:06 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: February 08, 2017, 03:39:52 am »

I will leave it at that.
Surely procedural bullshit is common to all governments with legislatures, corrupt or otherwise. Procedural bullshit is a sign of contention and dysfunction, not corruption. Besides, there are so many other reasons to consider congress corrupt then procedural bullshit.
I mean at that point why even have a Congress? If you have to start putting judges on the rules committee, why not just put experts on the other committees? Why not just leave Congress to the business of alternating between rubberstamping and filibustering?

We can't just replace congress with the judiciary, as much as we may want to.

Reading over McConnell's piece arguing that Neil Gorsuch should get an up-down vote, he said that Harry Reid claimed that Obama's nominees were blocked, then triumphantly announced "We did not block either of Barack Obama's first-term appointments, so he is clearly wrong." (emphasis mine).

The name "Merrick Garland" appeared nowhere in that article.
That would be because we're not talking about the supreme court here.  We're talking about Jeff Sessions, Attorney General nominee.

Edit: To be clear here, the point of my post was this: the rule hector13 linked was clearly about keeping order during debates by preventing senators from engaging in personal attacks.  The issue is that Jeff Sessions is BOTH a senator and a cabinet nominee at the same time.  So they're applying a rule meant to prevent criticism of senators, to criticism of a nominee.  This is of course completely ridiculous because the entire point of the hearings going on is to provide a time for criticism of nominees.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 03:48:03 am by EnigmaticHat »
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: February 08, 2017, 04:40:38 am »

And it wouldn't "gut separation of powers", it is a separation of power, much like the President being unable to just declare Cousin Bubba the Secretary of State without review.

Allowing some outside entity to dictate its parliamentary procedures is essentially stripping them of something that is and always has been inherent to the very nature of what a legislature under the U.S. Constitution is.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: February 08, 2017, 05:41:16 am »

]
That would be because we're not talking about the supreme court here.  We're talking about Jeff Sessions, Attorney General nominee.
My point was much simpler. There's no real thing to argue against or criticize: it's just sheer, naked hypocrisy. Once the majority leader has embraced that principle, everything is permitted.

I'm not convinced Congress would not allow Trump to simply appoint his cousin to a position at this point. I mean when the wife of the Senate Majority Leader is one of the more legitimate, least controversial nominees we have (and Harry Reid, the Senate Minority Leader, made a point of voting against her, joining strange bedfellows Warren and Sanders on a 93-6 vote), is anything working?

I get the desire for reform. But I just don't know what would work here. I think you may be on to something about changing the Senate's internal rules, but I don't know if the judiciary is the route to go down.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: February 08, 2017, 05:53:21 am »

I'm not convinced Congress would not allow Trump to simply appoint his cousin to a position at this point.

I'm pretty sure they'd okay it if he appointed a horse as consul.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: February 08, 2017, 07:28:01 am »

It may or may not raise the average standards of the group.

(But it would definitely make the place somewhat more stable. ;) )

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: February 08, 2017, 07:30:29 am »

Naw, it would just add more horse shit to the manure pile.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: February 08, 2017, 07:32:08 am »

Maybe he's just horsing around.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: February 08, 2017, 07:36:07 am »

I thought you'd like being saddled with it, but sounds like the neighs have it.
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 3567