Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 3564

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 4170486 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread: D. C. on summer break
« Reply #10860 on: August 16, 2017, 06:55:16 am »

Could just be how left wing people aren't a hive mind and can simultaneously support censorship and free speech, because they consist of individuals who act in accordance with their own agendas

I mean... It isn't like the biggest and loudest members of the Left and the general attitude isn't moving towards that.

Or that speaking out of this on the left isn't becoming more and more deficient.

Then again... It is the Left, they agree everyone else is a hive mind, except when it inconveniences them. So I am only acting in kind :P

Edit: I am kind of joking. It is just Horseshoe Theory anyhow.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 07:13:49 am by Neonivek »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10861 on: August 16, 2017, 06:55:31 am »

Loud Whispers:

If they are fearing for their lives, then the social contract with law enforcement is either insufficient, or has failed.
At which point, they should attempt to seek legal and physical protection of higher government authorities, such as direct from a governor, or for the national guard.

At no point, short of a complete and total betrayal of the social contract by government at all levels, should vigilantism be considered a valid or desirable option, no matter how hot you are around your collar.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10862 on: August 16, 2017, 07:01:56 am »

Spoiler: RE: picking sides (click to show/hide)

The irony of invoking the same logic as the nazis, namely-- the very existence of the hated group is intolerable, and justifies my hate and violence-- also does not seem to sink in, as evidenced by even some of the statements here in this thread.
If I am hard on the left leaning people of this thread, it is because I expect and demand better from them. I see them becoming exactly the thing they rail against, and it displeases me greatly.
What is your opinion on lefties being violent against what they see as existential threats to their lives. Are their actions not then defensible, becoming violent to save their own kin?

That has to be one of the most dumb and dangerous ways of thinking in existence.

In fact that is precisely the kind of thinking extremists used for centuries to justify their racial violence and oppression.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10863 on: August 16, 2017, 07:09:30 am »

I'm still of the opinion that they should counter with silly string and glitter, or other method of peaceful protesting. Violence really only begets violence and the neonazis were there to be violent.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10864 on: August 16, 2017, 07:19:29 am »

As funny as that would be, it would only give them what they want, which is an excuse to escalate the violence.

The best thing you can do is just go on living as if they dont exist, and otherwise just have the cops arrest them for incitation to violence.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10866 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:57 am »

Oh no, systemic statue-violence! Hopefully they put them in a museum. :P

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #10867 on: August 16, 2017, 08:21:52 am »

As funny as that would be, it would only give them what they want, which is an excuse to escalate the violence.

The best thing you can do is just go on living as if they dont exist, and otherwise just have the cops arrest them for incitation to violence.
And when the cops are quietly on the side of the Nazis? Then what?

All this "Just ignore them until they go away, and/or somebody in charge fixes it" attitude would be downright adorkable in its naivete, if we didn't have history as a guide to what that leads to. And if we didn't have a government that can't fix a sandwich, much less remove a social cancer.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10868 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:32 am »

I get the impression that there were fights during the entire day before the car murder.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000005363670/charlottesville-virginia-white-nationalist-protests.html
Yeah, a lot of that is because the night before a few hundred Nazi supporting fucks surrounded about thirty-ish protesting students and beat the shit out of them with lit torches. The day after you had the occasional pepper spray and brawl, which was something between incredibly brave and pretty stupid for the counter-protesting folks considering the marchers were littered with shits carrying firearms.

Then the nazi shit killed someone in a terrorist attack, and soon thereafter the president bothsides the event as swaths of the right wing either embraced the literally fucking murderous Nazi shitbag or pointedly refrained from criticizing him and/or the other Nazis and people marching right beside goddamn Nazis.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10869 on: August 16, 2017, 09:03:23 am »

I get the impression that there were fights during the entire day before the car murder.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100000005363670/charlottesville-virginia-white-nationalist-protests.html
Yeah, a lot of that is because the night before a few hundred Nazi supporting fucks surrounded about thirty-ish protesting students and beat the shit out of them with lit torches. The day after you had the occasional pepper spray and brawl, which was something between incredibly brave and pretty stupid for the counter-protesting folks considering the marchers were littered with shits carrying firearms.

Then the nazi shit killed someone in a terrorist attack, and soon thereafter the president bothsides the event as swaths of the right wing either embraced the literally fucking murderous Nazi shitbag or pointedly refrained from criticizing him and/or the other Nazis and people marching right beside goddamn Nazis.

I am actually surprised these things don't escalate into full blown firefights more often.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10870 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:14 am »

Eh, parts of that make sense. Most of the right wing fucks showing up to things like that with guns are fairly organized, enough that they realize that there's basically no goddamn way they're going to be able to spin opening fire in any way that doesn't leave them and -- and by way of the country's population flipping a great deal of collective shit -- a great many people like them either in jail or facing the death penalty (assuming cops don't get off their ass and start treating them like armed black people, anyway :V).

Meanwhile folks opposed to them generally don't default quite as regularly towards being inclined to being a murderous waste of human flesh, so they don't show up to these sorts of things nearly as armed, nearly as often.

Basically it's lose/lose for the right wing bastards (with those trending towards armed being cognizant enough to know it), and less opportunity and/or inclination from everyone else involved. So we've largely managed to avoid these things turning into an open firefight, so far.
Ask not!
Ask!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10871 on: August 16, 2017, 09:12:00 am »

I am actually surprised these things don't escalate into full blown firefights more often.

Probably because they know the police will immediately crack down on them if theres gunshots.

I'm a bit more concerned with some alt-righter deciding to make a bomb and blow stuff up. Though the FBI has been pretty good about stopping that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:14:20 am by smjjames »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #10872 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:57 am »

Oh, sure. Mosque got bombed like a day or two (somethin' like that) before the nazi shit killed someone. No one got hurt, fortunately, but hey, there you go.

Incidentally, damn, it's farcically noticeable that the POTUS, who normally jumps on anything muslim terror related, has pointedly said pretty much fuck all when it's domestic terrorism against a muslim religious site. Most of the right wing has been doing that this time, really.
Ask not!
Ask!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10873 on: August 16, 2017, 09:16:20 am »

Communism is worse than Nazism, though.

oh boy lets see if they bite
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10874 on: August 16, 2017, 09:18:43 am »

How can a philosophy based on equal sharing be worse than one based on killing or enslaving everyone that doesn't share your pure bloodline?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 723 724 [725] 726 727 ... 3564