Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57

Author Topic: Paranormal 25 - Game over! Town victory!  (Read 79778 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: Paranormal 25 - Day 3 brings no sign of Spring
« Reply #510 on: February 20, 2017, 02:28:39 pm »

If you're going to tech trade, I do agree that you send it to Tiruin. Is there any way for a dopp to get an assassin bot?
Yes - Military Scientist can be a doppelganger role. But there's another possibility I would like to raise: a Hivemind. They get one medium tech slot, and Assassin Bot is almost certainly what they would pick since it makes them win faster and is their only tool to fight back against the doppelgangers. Contrast this to Agent Operative, which you would expect to take a two-shot Scanner because that's objectively the best choice for someone with a town alignment. TDS, you should explain why you didn't take a double scanner btw.

So a Hivemind could just fire off their own Assassin Bot and convert whoever is meant to be receiving the small tech. Or ideally just receive it themselves. I think doll's furious defense of TDS and his constant trumpeting of how clear he would be after the trade while conveniently ignoring this possibility is suspicious, and it suggests to me that he would be the Hivemind, or at least a recruit, if there is one. Unfortunately if there is a Hivemind and they've already converted 2 people it would be next to impossible to push a lynch on the leader, since scum would control half of the votes today, and the converts could bus themselves if they thought their leader was in danger.

That's why I will instead ask the doppelgangers to consider this possibility and do their best to deal with it via their kill, since the hivemind would be a massive threat to them at this point as well. TIA.
What if there's a plasma bomb in the game? Then that gets rid of an all but confirmed Townie, the town loses a kill and whatever the other tech that TDS has and at least one guard.

If he trades the small tech and uses the medium tech, resulting in two kills rather than the one we've had per night so far, that works just the same as him trading both techs, with no risk of losing a kill.
The only role that can pick Plasma Bomb is the Exterminator, whose kills have not showed up so far. Also I think Plasma Bomb is objectively a pretty bad choice compared to Advanced Assassin Bot. So that seems like an extremely unlikely scenario.
If you're referring to Hivemind, it is my stated intent to side with Hivemind if there is one since I'm pretty high on the convert list (though lower than I used to be) and I suspect a Hivemind would win at this point.
I mean if we lynch them or they die to the dopps they lose. It wouldn't be inevitable.

fakeedit: that's useful information. It looks like DA can in fact get meaningful results on everyone.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: February 20, 2017, 02:56:04 pm »

I'm not going to unvote Deus Asmoth, and here's why:

There are ten players left in the game, four of whom I'm fairly certain aren't scum (TDS, hector13, Persus13, and tiruin).  And then obviously myself but I'm in the "unconfirmed) list.  If we lynch Deus and he's town, then Leafsnail is added to the clear list, assuming that DA is indeed a telepath, and TDS nightkills one of me or TBF.  The other is lynched the next day, followed by doll, followed by webadict.  In this time the scum can only kill three of the five townies, so there'll be two left for the last lynch.

If Deus Asmoth is scum (which I think likely because if he isn't then I have to look into some really wonky scumteams) then TDS nightkills Leafsnail, since if he's scum he's dead and if he's town he's the best one to lose since he doesn't have any relevant role.  If Leafsnail isn't scum, we just go through standard lynching order, with Tiruin placing her trackers on the war vets to catch them out if they make the scumkill.

TDS: Give your personal shield to Tiruin tonight, and the assassin bot so she can make the kill.

Mephansteras: If three guards protect each other in a circle, who will die if one of them is killed?  The original target?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: February 20, 2017, 03:36:05 pm »

Mephansteras: If three guards protect each other in a circle, who will die if one of them is killed?  The original target?

It would break the chain. So if you have A->B->C->A and scum kill A then C would die.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: February 20, 2017, 06:17:37 pm »

I'm not going to unvote Deus Asmoth, and here's why:

There are ten players left in the game, four of whom I'm fairly certain aren't scum (TDS, hector13, Persus13, and tiruin).  And then obviously myself but I'm in the "unconfirmed) list.  If we lynch Deus and he's town, then Leafsnail is added to the clear list, assuming that DA is indeed a telepath, and TDS nightkills one of me or TBF.  The other is lynched the next day, followed by doll, followed by webadict.  In this time the scum can only kill three of the five townies, so there'll be two left for the last lynch.

If Deus Asmoth is scum (which I think likely because if he isn't then I have to look into some really wonky scumteams) then TDS nightkills Leafsnail, since if he's scum he's dead and if he's town he's the best one to lose since he doesn't have any relevant role.  If Leafsnail isn't scum, we just go through standard lynching order, with Tiruin placing her trackers on the war vets to catch them out if they make the scumkill.

TDS: Give your personal shield to Tiruin tonight, and the assassin bot so she can make the kill.

Agreed on everything except giving the Assassin Bot.

I will only want it given if DA comes up Town. If he's scum, let TDS kill Leafsnail. I'm not taking chances on something stupid like an Advanced Doppelganger.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2017, 07:20:04 pm »

Where is Deus Asmoth anyway?
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »

Meph: Can a player use an item of tech on the same night that they receive it?

@webadict and 4mask: what do you think about Meph's clarification that DA can determine your guilt or innocence? Does that affect your decision to vote for him?

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: February 20, 2017, 07:28:06 pm »

@webadict and 4mask: what do you think about Meph's clarification that DA can determine your guilt or innocence? Does that affect your decision to vote for him?
I have considered it: after all, that post came before my post about why I was still voting for him.  While if I trusted DA at all that would be a very, very good thing and I'd be all for it, I'm having trouble piecing together a scumteam that doesn't include Deus Asmoth and thus see no reason not to vote him, especially because the information of his flip will basically let us solve the game.

That's a great question, he's been away for over two days now.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: February 20, 2017, 07:40:58 pm »

Meph: Can a player use an item of tech on the same night that they receive it?

Alien Tech can be passed between players as long as both players agree to the trade. This must be done via PM. Tech can be used the night it is passed, but can only be used by one person per night (if it is a multi-use item).
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: February 20, 2017, 07:44:29 pm »

His flip will give us even more information if we do it tomorrow after he's inspected you, webadict, TBF or doll. I don't see a good reason to do it today at all. Your math on confirmed vs unconfirmed players remains the same regardless of who is lynched out of the unconfirmed people. Like there are 4 unconfirmed players we could hit (doll, webadict, you, TBF) who'll give us no useful info going forwards and you want to lynch the claimed investigator instead?

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: February 20, 2017, 07:56:14 pm »

Just a reminder for people (especially Tiruin), its about 24 hours to day end.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: February 20, 2017, 08:01:41 pm »

Extend. We need to hear from TDS (confirming what he plans to do with his techs) and DA at the very least. If we don't need DA we need to choose a target for him so that person knows not to action. Also doll should probably kill himself tonight, we have two spare guards anyway.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:49 pm »

His flip will give us even more information if we do it tomorrow after he's inspected you, webadict, TBF or doll. I don't see a good reason to do it today at all. Your math on confirmed vs unconfirmed players remains the same regardless of who is lynched out of the unconfirmed people. Like there are 4 unconfirmed players we could hit (doll, webadict, you, TBF) who'll give us no useful info going forwards and you want to lynch the claimed investigator instead?
Umm... No it won't. If he's scum, it costs us information. Plus, if he's not a Telepath... Then what?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: February 20, 2017, 08:55:12 pm »

Hung over and regretting my life choices. In any case, I'm a telepath. Leafsnail (N1) has a survive goal, as he mentioned earlier. His reaction when I asked him about it and his earlier kook claim made me more inclined to believe he was vanilla or an enchanter rather than a survivor. TBF (N2) has a kill goal, which matches his vet claim. It also matches some other roles, but that's all I can really give you all at the moment.

Assuming I'm not dead at the end of the day, it's worth discussing who's worth inspecting. hector, TDS, Tiruin or doll would be the first options since everyone else has either already been done or defaults to kill anyway. Alternatively, one of the claimed war vets could turn off their kill for the night to check their result then, but that'd have to be arranged by PM to avoid them being murdered and stuff, probably with doll also being involved since he's the mayor or something now.

doll:
Deus Asmoth
You're a telepath.
TBF knows your inspect result on him (or at least what it would appear as).
He knows what it appears as because he's telling the truth (or has claimed a role with a matching goal I guess). I wanted to see if he was going to claim something that didn't match the result I had on him, since he was being hesitant about actually claiming.

Reply to hector that is probably more about game philosophy than this game specifically at this point.[spoiler]hector:
DA

Doll: I know Leafsnail can't be scum.

Why not go whole hog and make your claim? Leafsnail claimed they were a kook earlier, there are only so many roles that'll either see through that or not be bothered by it.
You see where I said I was holding on the role claim to see what TBF claimed?

4mask: hector's posts have been striking me as scummy since I read over the thread during N1, for largely similar reasons to the read I gave in #287. After spending much of D2 arguing with me about my case from D1, including FoSing over it towards day end, he's also dropped that line of enquiry altogether in favour of using doll's case instead. There's also the matter that I mentioned that he was misrepresenting what I had said when I posted at the start of D2, and he continued to do so until his last post during D2 when he said he'd actually worded it wrongly and I should apparently have assumed that was what had happened from the beginning.

"much of day 2" compromising all of 2 posts, this, which was directed at a lot of people, and this which happened after the RattyB revelation, which was directed at someone I wanted some clarification from, and TDS, who made one contribution on D2.

Where am I only using doll's case? I said I agreed with him, but also said I wasn't particularly pleased with your lack of movement on TBF during D2.

Who's misrepresenting whom, again?
You are. Again. Are you claiming that your discussion with me wasn't the majority or your day 2 activity?

Maintaining is not actively pushing for lynching someone, which is why I pushed you about your reasoning behind TBF's scumminess.
No it isn't. Unless this is another one of those times where I'm supposed to assume that's what you were trying to do but just happened to never bring it up while discussing it?

You re-voted TBF with your first post of D2, said "still scum" and moved on. Why were you not trying to encourage people to vote for him, since your read persisted through the night?
My case was already laid out on him, the details hadn't changed. Did you want me to go door to door handing out flyers?

Would you like some cheese with that whine? ::)
Would you like a stick to beat that dead horse with? Seriously, if you're going to use one liners that don't even fit the context, you could at least come up with an original one.

This one's on you, methinks. I used the word "actively", which means actually doing something as opposed to going "okay my opinion from D1 hasn't changed, cool cool *vote*"

So yeah, go door to door handing out fliers, get a megaphone and shout it from the rooftops, accost people in the street and scream in their faces that TBF should be hanged by the neck 'til he's dead.

You were very sure of TBF's anti-townness on D1 and the start of D2, so why not pull out all the stops for someone you think isn't town?
This is actually really tiresome, so I'd like you to tell me what exactly you mean by that in a text-only game, then explain why you weren't doing that. Because you didn't attempt to get anyone onto a TBF wagon while you were voting for him, and every vote you've made since has been you playing follow the leader.

What's to respond to?

The post is, in order of paragraphs: your opinion on third parties + maintaining your case; maintaining your case x 2; conflating experience with ability; maintaining your case and forgetting my position is "it's TBF's meta"; asking my opinion on a related topic.

Since your case was TBF was anti-town, and I said that's his meta, I didn't particularly think a long argument - the essence of which I anticipated as "I'm right, your wrong" on both our parts - would be particularly fruitful.
So you were willing to keep that argument going for all of day 2 and were suspicious enough of me for points that I had already brought up in previous posts to FoS me over it, but saw nothing worth carrying over?

You're also skipping several parts of the post. The part where I pointed out that you were pushing me about mentioning third parties while ignoring literally everyone else doing so as well, for example.

Who is "literally everyone else" and where did they mention third parties? You mentioned doll earlier in regards to this, I'm reasonably sure. Was there anyone else?
You know when you voted TBF for not bothering to read over D1? Try using ctrl F and searching for survivor if you want to save some time.[/quote]
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: February 20, 2017, 09:10:25 pm »

So, here's the deal, Leaf...

We lynch DA. If he's Town, we know for sure you're Town.

If he's not Town, then even if he's a Telepath, all of his inspections are useless.

We'll Assassin Bot you. We'll put a tracking bot on TBF, and we'll know if there's a kill the following Days, then he's not the one who did it. That leaves pretty much me, doll, and 4mask. Possibly TDS, but he'll be confirmed by Tiruin. And we can keep narrowing down from there. Plus, with 2-3 War Vets, and 1-2 Guards, Town has a fairly high win percent chance. Your sacrifice if you're Town will not be for naught.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: February 20, 2017, 10:16:31 pm »

It would break the chain. So if you have A->B->C->A and scum kill A then C would die.
But C's being protected by B?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 57