Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 51

Author Topic: DIG OOC  (Read 77256 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: DIG OOC
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2017, 01:11:00 pm »

Could someone please explain to me what the difference between an equipment and a technique is? I mean, why would I build a piece of equipment if I can just build a technique that does the same? Or do techniques use different/harder rolls to build or require you to expend knowledge to use them or something like that?

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2017, 01:15:05 pm »

I'm assuming most techniques will require more knowledge than equipment, be an activated skill rather than a passive bonus, and be more limited in what you can do with them than some of the more esoteric equipment, or any combination of the above.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2017, 03:08:54 pm »

Could someone please explain to me what the difference between an equipment and a technique is? I mean, why would I build a piece of equipment if I can just build a technique that does the same? Or do techniques use different/harder rolls to build or require you to expend knowledge to use them or something like that?
I think the idea is that they'll be balanced in ways like that, yeah. Or maybe techniques can't give straight bonuses to a stat while equipment can. Or maybe something else, you'd have to ask pw (though I doubt he has a clear idea on that yet, it's not in the rules yet at least).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2017, 03:27:34 pm »

So, does the ship drill through one square every five hours? Did I miss where it said that?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2017, 04:03:01 pm »

So, does the ship drill through one square every five hours? Did I miss where it said that?
See end of new turn:
Ok, here's how this works. Each of these squares is 5 hours of digging. We're basically gonna compress time as we move between locations, so that builders can build more and we don't have to sit around doing nothing.  So builders, each square is 5 hours of work, or 1 sleep to fully restore your stamina. Plan your stuff accordingly.

Unrelated, but dang I misinterpreted the rules, didn't think it'd be 2 stamina for every turn you dive, just thought it was 2 stamina every time you need to roll transcend. Derp. Probably gonna throw some more points into stamina then, though I'll wait until after leaving the sea so it's not unfair. Unless, pw, you say the window for changes has closed.

Also, it's gonna be pretty dang hard to resurrect people I now realize, even with high transcend, due to the stamina cost. 5 to dive + 2 on turn to find/capture + 2 to place into body. That's 9 stamina, assuming you find the soul immediately and there are no nasties to fight off (unlikely on lvl. 3, seeing how fast they form on lvl1). And then stamina cost equal to the body atribute. Better hope the resurrector had full stamina left or that there's more than 1 diver so they can work in tandem.

Yeah, after depth drive first priority will be more stamina for sure.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 04:08:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2017, 05:05:23 pm »

PIECEWISE

This system for time passing is super finicky and I don't like it. If time only passes in five-hour blocks, we should design around that, rather than giving me things that take 12 hours to make and thus making me deal with fractions. pls

Maybe just give build times in terms of tiles traveled, and then consume 15 stamina for working for a tile?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:07:29 pm by Egan_BW »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2017, 05:20:29 pm »

One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2017, 06:52:31 pm »

Thanks RC.

I didn't realize there was such a stamina cost for diving either. I think I read that though, so I should have been aware. that does significantly limit a diver's reach, at least to start.

Edit: see, I missed the turn itself entirely. When I checked the thread, PW had his big Bolded question about how far to dig, and that was at the top of the page, so I responded to that not thinking that he had made a full turn a few posts prior. ah well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 06:55:35 pm by Ozarck »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2017, 05:00:00 am »

This system for time passing is super finicky and I don't like it. If time only passes in five-hour blocks, we should design around that, rather than giving me things that take 12 hours to make and thus making me deal with fractions. pls
Maybe just give build times in terms of tiles traveled, and then consume 15 stamina for working for a tile?
I kinda think the easiest would be to say "you can get 10 (or whatever) buildpoints per block drilled. These buildpoints connect 1-to-1 with bonuses. So you could make 2 +5 items in 1 block's time or 1 +10. Or spend 2 drillblocks on 1 +20 thing. You queue up the things you wanna build, then when we stop drilling to go on adventure you see how many things got finished. Unfinished things are left on the bore as work in progress (eg 10/25 constructed) and can be finished by working on them next timeskip. Non-statbonus things just get a buildcost decided by pw. If you wanna keep working on your stuff while others are out of the bore, every +5 progress is X turns you spend and can do nothing else."

Of course, this doesn't mesh very well with the stamina mechanic, but that can be solved by making the amount of buildpoints you have per block dependent on your stamina stat.

Just train of thought by the way, there's probably issues I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks RC.
I didn't realize there was such a stamina cost for diving either. I think I read that though, so I should have been aware. that does significantly limit a diver's reach, at least to start.

No prob.

When I read that I thought it was for situations like "spend 2 stamina while in deep sea to pinch down on the enemies' carotid artery, and 2 more for every turn you keep that up" or "2 stamina for summoning a deep sea creature to help you, and 2 more for every turn it stays corporeal".

Also, from taking a closer look at the stamina mechanic again:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sitting around in your hidey-hole hoping the enemy won't notice you is more tiring than jumping around dodging bullets, heh.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 05:53:17 am by Radio Controlled »

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2017, 06:11:25 am »

Well, Hide seems to be a matter of actively trying to be unseen, rather than finding cover and staying put. I think find would be the stat for getting a good hiding place, whereas hide is more for creeping in teh shadows, clinging to surfaces, trying not to breathe, and somehow dampening your psyche to avoid notice by the Deep. Or whatever.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2017, 09:06:05 am »

Well, Hide seems to be a matter of actively trying to be unseen, rather than finding cover and staying put. I think find would be the stat for getting a good hiding place, whereas hide is more for creeping in teh shadows, clinging to surfaces, trying not to breathe, and somehow dampening your psyche to avoid notice by the Deep. Or whatever.
I thought hide was for getting in cover due to:
Quote from: from the rules
while Hide can be used vs Blast to take cover.

Though perhaps that's more for a sort of 'dive for cover' type of situation? In general I'd find it strange that trying to hide yourself in the environment wouldn't be using the Hide stat.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2017, 12:48:14 pm »

I think the idea is that they'll be balanced in ways like that, yeah. Or maybe techniques can't give straight bonuses to a stat while equipment can. Or maybe something else, you'd have to ask pw (though I doubt he has a clear idea on that yet, it's not in the rules yet at least).
Basically
1. They drain large amounts of stamina where as most engines drain none
2. They have a very specific use and have to be activated. Ie they're not flat bonuses to everything that uses that roll. So you can't have "Fight +10" it has to be like "+20 move bonus for doing sick parkour"

PIECEWISE

We can just do it in 5 hour units. I figured people would want to micromanage but I'm fine with 5 hour units.

Thanks RC.

Edit: see, I missed the turn itself entirely. When I checked the thread, PW had his big Bolded question about how far to dig, and that was at the top of the page, so I responded to that not thinking that he had made a full turn a few posts prior. ah well.

I may reduce stamina costs for diving, at least the cost of sticking around in there doing nothing. Reduce it to 1 or something. Or reduce it to zero and just make attacks more common.

I kinda think the easiest would be to say "you can get 10 (or whatever) buildpoints per block drilled. These buildpoints connect 1-to-1 with bonuses. So you could make 2 +5 items in 1 block's time or 1 +10. Or spend 2 drillblocks on 1 +20 thing. You queue up the things you wanna build, then when we stop drilling to go on adventure you see how many things got finished. Unfinished things are left on the bore as work in progress (eg 10/25 constructed) and can be finished by working on them next timeskip. Non-statbonus things just get a buildcost decided by pw. If you wanna keep working on your stuff while others are out of the bore, every +5 progress is X turns you spend and can do nothing else."

Of course, this doesn't mesh very well with the stamina mechanic, but that can be solved by making the amount of buildpoints you have per block dependent on your stamina stat.

Just train of thought by the way, there's probably issues I haven't thought of yet.

Thanks RC.

No prob.

When I read that I thought it was for situations like "spend 2 stamina while in deep sea to pinch down on the enemies' carotid artery, and 2 more for every turn you keep that up" or "2 stamina for summoning a deep sea creature to help you, and 2 more for every turn it stays corporeal".

Also, from taking a closer look at the stamina mechanic again:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sitting around in your hidey-hole hoping the enemy won't notice you is more tiring than jumping around dodging bullets, heh.
Yeah, it doesn't always make sense, its really just a thing to restrict certain actions.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2017, 03:26:44 pm »

After I gain the technique I am researching now, my next tech is totally gonna be sick parkour.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2017, 03:31:30 pm »

Yeah, it doesn't always make sense, its really just a thing to restrict certain actions.

I understand the need for that. Still, other ways to get to the same end result might be worth considering: I'd rather have to fight of more enemies in the deep sea than having to calculate and plan my exact stamina expenditure and keep track of it every turn, as an example. One is an interesting risk/benefit consideration, the other just more bookkeeping and restrictions.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2017, 06:35:40 pm »

I understand the need for that. Still, other ways to get to the same end result might be worth considering: I'd rather have to fight of more enemies in the deep sea than having to calculate and plan my exact stamina expenditure and keep track of it every turn, as an example. One is an interesting risk/benefit consideration, the other just more bookkeeping and restrictions.

Honestly, I feel that this would be a better approach in general. Not that stamina is a huge issue, of course, but scrapping it (or only making it used for particularly strenuous or difficult actions?) and increasing difficulty feels more intuitive.

That said, I understand completely if it's needed for balance.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 51