Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 70

Author Topic: DIG: VOTE  (Read 137879 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: DIG
« Reply #375 on: January 27, 2017, 07:02:51 pm »

Verne yells on the comms, and in the crawler:

"Why are we waiting for this horrible thing to attack us? If someone's going to attack first, it'd better be us! And something that ugly is sure to try and murder us. Let's grab some crystals, shoot the thing, and get the hell away from here!"

"Bore, be ready to fire cannons to cover our escape! Crawler, be ready to run. Undead, machines and swimmers get ready to nab the goddamn loot when it drops. Everyone else, start shooting the stuff holding the crystals up or swinging at the spider legs that try to kill us! We ready?"

Verne takes precise aim with the rifle on one of the threads holding up a crystal.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #376 on: January 27, 2017, 11:12:20 pm »

Assuming the doorway is facing Bargthor, I'll stay in the crawler, but open the door and get my pistol out and be ready to cover the engineheart if anything attacks him

Spoiler: "Razorblade" Rede (click to show/hide)
We'll assume it is because no reason not to. So you sit in the crawler with your gun pointed towards the door. Just like that time your parents came over.

Another ... time

Exit the crawler. wander with the flow of water.

Spoiler: Nameless (click to show/hide)
You get out of the crawler and completely ignore what's going on with the crystals and such and instead walk across the cave floor. As you get closer to the other side you notice that the flow of water on this side of the cave is actually faster than it is on the other side. And, judging by the flow of water that you can see to your left and right, the water is flowing in towards some central point. Probably the drain out of this otherwise rather dead end looking cave. You stop walking towards the drain when the current begins getting dangerously strong.

Sifeebt just nods as Nameless leaves, electing to stay onboard and move to stand next to the pilot.

Stay onboard, next to Tony (MidnightJaguar).  If he decides it's a good idea to drive the crawler into or very near to the spidergoo or the crystals, silently discourage the action.  Heavily.

Spoiler: Sifeebt, Roa Deathless (click to show/hide)
More sitting about, for strategic reasons.

Does the crystal look damaged in any way from that shot?

"But meatbag, I haven't stole anything yet, aren't you supposed to run after you've stole something?"

Spoiler: Bargthor-47 (click to show/hide)
Uh, maybe it's pride? Or its feelings? But the actual physical structure of the crystal shows no sign of damage. Least not as far as you can see.

"I think we did a good job with this thing, wouldn't you say?

Sounds like we might have some visitors of the strange kind coming soon. Perhaps you should go aim our ordnance while I make sure there's something to fire in there. I'm pretty sure there are better uses for our talents right now, but it seems the rest of the crew is otherwise preoccupied."

Go load cannons if nobody else is making moves to do so.
If someone else does come up to do it, then go to the bridge instead.

I'd like to gather knowledge to create a technique that lets me replace a dodge roll with a move (or cover?) one. What kind of costs or limitations would you think are fair for something like that?

Spoiler: Joshua Abraham Darvaza (click to show/hide)

I don't see no bracing actions so lets roll.
96/70 and 80 Move
Welp, guess you didn't move quick enough to get braced for the drop.
Endure 10/50 and 70
But you weren't injured in the wild ride down, so that's ok.
One has to wonder why there was a wild ride down in the first place, instead of drilling around to come out at the side of the cave. Rule of dramatic plot potential strikes again! Will nothing sate its ravenous hunger?

((When not given specific instructions I tend to do exciting things that hurt people. Or at least have the capacity to do so))
"Perhaps that is best, yes."

Go assist in loading the cannons. Then head up to the bridge/command centre to assist with aiming/firing the cannons where necessary.

((Originally had another name, but Muffin is shorter so I'll go with that.))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Muffin, being both stronger and better at shooting, loads the cannon on the side pointing towards the spider goo and then heads up the the bridge and aligns the shot as best he can.
[91/80] and his best alignment ain't great.

Verne yells on the comms, and in the crawler:

"Why are we waiting for this horrible thing to attack us? If someone's going to attack first, it'd better be us! And something that ugly is sure to try and murder us. Let's grab some crystals, shoot the thing, and get the hell away from here!"

"Bore, be ready to fire cannons to cover our escape! Crawler, be ready to run. Undead, machines and swimmers get ready to nab the goddamn loot when it drops. Everyone else, start shooting the stuff holding the crystals up or swinging at the spider legs that try to kill us! We ready?"

Verne takes precise aim with the rifle on one of the threads holding up a crystal.

-10 on next roll (Ie a bonus because you're trying to roll UNDER) to shoot that thread.

'I'm so proud of you, Jenny!' Deira has named the bore now, and in her excitement at pulling off the maneuver she strokes its console again. She rearranges the decorations around the bridge that didn't stay stable during the drop, and checks to make sure all parts are functioning correctly.

So we gonna paint one of those pinup models on the side of the bore, but of Jenny the Teenage robot?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: January 28, 2017, 01:54:57 am »

Walk away from the drain. if any of the walls display features of interest, and are a safe direction (non-waterfall and non-drain) proceed thataway.
If no walls are interesting, and any of the orbs remain near enough to reach and likewise are in safe waters, approach orb and touch it.
Otherwise, find a mild part of the current and examine the bottom, while looking for aquatic creatures.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: January 28, 2017, 03:29:10 am »

I'd like to gather knowledge to create a technique that lets me replace a dodge roll with a move (or cover?) one. What kind of costs or limitations would you think are fair for something like that?

Is there a level of the sea on which I could easily communicate with my teammates?

Since I'm not needed for loading it seems, go to the bridge, crawl into the basket and dive to lvl. 2. Then ghostwalk to where I can see the cave roof and observe.

"You know what, I'm just gonna start doing what I do best, take a dip and see what's out there. Don't let the monsters eat my body!"

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:38:43 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: January 28, 2017, 03:33:20 am »

These meatbags are about to fire guns in a room full of crystals that damage through sonic resonance.  There's going to be a fuckup.  I'd better find a good place to watch.

Dive for the waterfall and the area behind the waterfall, in the hopes that the splashing water breaks up the fancy sound the crystals use to do damage.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:30:55 am by Devastator »

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2017, 04:24:23 am »

Now that I'm closer, try to examine the goo/spider thing closer, looking for weaknesses, or anything else that might offer some explanation as to what it is, and what it does.
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2017, 11:04:44 am »

((I'm off to a wonderful start here with already 3 >90 rolls. There is no way this can go wrong.))

"Sure thing, try not to summon any horrible creatures from the deep in here while I continue to fumble my aiming."

Fumbled that one. Aim the cannon again, only better this time.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #382 on: January 28, 2017, 03:04:49 pm »

((I'm off to a wonderful start here with already 3 >90 rolls. There is no way this can go wrong.))

"Sure thing, try not to summon any horrible creatures from the deep in here while I continue to fumble my aiming."

Fumbled that one. Aim the cannon again, only better this time.

((Maybe you inherited the Xan dice.))

91/80 Blast.

Yep, definitely got them Xan dice.

Now that I'm closer, try to examine the goo/spider thing closer, looking for weaknesses, or anything else that might offer some explanation as to what it is, and what it does.
23/20 Find.

You're honestly not even sure what that thing is, let alone what it does or how to beat it. For all you know its an organic building and you're wondering how to "Beat" a spidery apartment building.

These meatbags are about to fire guns in a room full of crystals that damage through sonic resonance.  There's going to be a fuckup.  I'd better find a good place to watch.

Dive for the waterfall and the area behind the waterfall, in the hopes that the splashing water breaks up the fancy sound the crystals use to do damage.

64/40 Move

You run across the room towards the waterfall and make a running headlong dive straight into it. You make it through the waterfall and splat face first into the rock wall behind the waterfall. And then the waterfall's current slams you into the ground and shoves you about 20 feet back into the room.

"Ugh...my adventure game experience lied to me. There's nothing behind the waterfall but rocks and pain."

Is there a level of the sea on which I could easily communicate with my teammates?

Since I'm not needed for loading it seems, go to the bridge, crawl into the basket and dive to lvl. 2. Then ghostwalk to where I can see the cave roof and observe.

"You know what, I'm just gonna start doing what I do best, take a dip and see what's out there. Don't let the monsters eat my body!"

Oz in OOC brings up a good point that this sort of thing is rather OP as worded. What is the intended purpose of the technique? Just to run away?

Also level 3 is the first one where you have some control over things. Level 1 is like a magnifying glass, level 2 like xray glasses, but level 3 is when you start being able to poke things.

[38/95]
[24/95]
The second level resembles the first but with the encompassing darkness stripped away. You view the world as though it is made of fogged glass, the steel and flesh around you is solid and visible yet also translucent. Time seems to move a little slower and if you look very carefully, you can see the currents of air, the distribution of weight within the machine, shifting gradients of heat, all laid out to you like ghostly tides. You find that you can swim through this world like a thick syrup, the air is easier but even steel and stone can be glided through with a bit of effort. You ghost out of the bore and up towards the goo on the ceiling.  You can see the innards of the goo from here, its seemingly chaotic form with clearly diverse or specialized structures melting into more simple or unspecialized ones. And you can see, glowing like trapped fireflies, the scattered minds within the goo.

As you watch, you notice something out of the corner of your eye. A distortion in the structure of the stone on the wall nearest you; rapidly flowing tides of heat and kinetic energy concentrating on a single point.

Walk away from the drain. if any of the walls display features of interest, and are a safe direction (non-waterfall and non-drain) proceed thataway.
If no walls are interesting, and any of the orbs remain near enough to reach and likewise are in safe waters, approach orb and touch it.
Otherwise, find a mild part of the current and examine the bottom, while looking for aquatic creatures.

You look around for things on the walls and notice that a 5 foot section of the wall near the waterfall, is glowing red hot. As you watch the stone melts and then falls as a single boulder sized blob of magma. Just before it lands though, the heat within it seems to instantly evaporate and the formless lump sprounds hundreds of thin stone spines. It lands in the water with a burst of steam and then begins rolling towards the crawler like an angry sea urchin.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 28, 2017, 03:21:06 pm »

Verne curses, then screams over the comms:

"Shit, shit, we should have taken our chance and struck. Fire the cannons at it, now, now!"

Briefly observe the Igneous Hedgehog, looking for weak spots or places a rifle might actually do something other than chip it. If there is one, or it might, shoot the creature.

Otherwise, keep my rifle trained on the thread with the hanging crystal ball, and fire.

Spoiler: Verne (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 05:08:47 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: January 28, 2017, 03:23:45 pm »

Shoot the hedgehog

"This is a surprising, yet not entirly unexpected development"

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:30:46 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 28, 2017, 03:50:32 pm »

Well, the idea is to be able to circumvent the autofail when it comes to dodge rolls by an ability that allows replacing the roll with another one, at an appropriate cost. Basically give me an option to, for example, disengage from melee instead of being hopelessly caught and autofailing any attempt to run away.

So yes, the idea is having a chance to bravely run away when otherwise that'd autofail.

The thing I saw in the corner of my eye is the same thing that is about to attack my teammates, right? If yes, attack its mind directly with the priest beads. If I can't engage in mindwar on this lvl (I know I can't influence the material world on this lvl, but I'm not sure if attacking the spirit/mind of an entity directly is an option), then instead try to shortly touch/intensely look at one of the crystalballs to learn more.

If however that concentration of energy is an entirely unrelated entity, then focus on attacking/dodging that.

Any knowledge gained from diving to lvl. 2 or from seeing the spidergoo, by the way?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:00:42 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 28, 2017, 03:55:03 pm »

((Yay, I inherited the xan dice but in a system where overshooting doesn't do anything neat. Yet.))

"Okay, this is getting silly. It's just a simple cannon, a tube that spits shooty balls at stuff I need deader. I can do this."

Okay, clearly those were just test runs to get a feel for the cannon. Now, for realsies, aim the cannon at the angry sea urchin rolling towards us and fire at it.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 04:00:02 pm by Pancaek »

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 28, 2017, 04:03:34 pm »

Clearly, my cunning instincts properly overrode my peerless mind there, or else I might have been next to the rockhead when it burst out of the wall.

Look at the rock-creature, looking for vulnerabilities.  Is it all rock?  Does it have joints or limbs?  Is there a good place to shoot it?

Also, do try to stay out of the line of fire from the tunnel and the crawler door.  Playing backstop for a rock creature is not ideal.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 28, 2017, 05:37:49 pm »

Sifeebt taps Tony on the shoulder, saying "We should leave."

Assuming MJ is present and uses his 90 control to pilot the Crawler away, Sifeebt will stay onboard, and just watch the rock's progress towards the crawler.  If MJ doesn't wake up, Sifeebt will bail out and flee, because there's about zero chance a sabre is useful here.

Spoiler: Sifeebt, Roa Deathless (click to show/hide)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 28, 2017, 05:48:55 pm »

Agreed, theres nothing worse than damn stoneurchins.

Hightail it away from the stoneurchin.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 70