Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Magitocracy of Aerowell IC  (Read 4922 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magitocracy of Aerowell IC
« on: December 30, 2016, 12:48:01 am »

In the year 1000 the Goddess permitted Xykar, the Angel of Man, to enter the world so that he may usher in a new era. Xykar reached down into the world and smote Lyrozan the Mad, king of Aerowell. Thus ending the Age of Tyranny that had descended upon the kingdom in a time before time. However, Xykar knew that this was not enough. Unless he took action, another tyrant would surely arise to replace the last. Thus he blessed the six noble houses of Aerowell with the ability to control magic and the Magitocracy of Aerowell came into existance...

In the year of 1000 Xykar, the Angel of Man, gathered 8 mortals of the country of Aerowell and blessed them and theirs with control over magic. Though they are not the first mages of this world, it is them and their descendants that will one day rule it. Xykar commanded The Eight Mages of Aerowell to gather at the ruined remains of Castle Lyrozan. The building had been demolished by Xykar during the smiting of Lyrozan. Scorchmarks, craters, and rubble cover the area. Very little of the structure remains standing.

In the year of 1000 The Eight Mages of Aerowell were compelled to the Ruins of Castle Lyrozan. There the Angel Xyrkar stood before them. His ethereal form was as if light itself had been bent and compressed into the shape of man. His wings and body shone with such beauty and power that he was difficult to gaze upon. Xykar spoke thus:

Greetings mortals. I have selected each of you to rule this land and to ascend to the office of Mage of Aerowell. Xykar then blessed each mortal individually. As he did so he gave them each a brilliant shining gem. At first the gem looked like a diamond made of light, but as each of the new mages took possession of the gem, they slowly changed shape and size. Each magic gem came to reflect their owner, and their magical schools, a symbol of power for each of the ruling houses.

The smiting of the Noble House of Lyrozan has sent the country into panic. The first order of the 8 mages will be to gain control of the capital city. Most of the military, and all of the royal guard was destroyed in the smiting. Lawlessness has already descended on the city. Find a way to take control and make the city safe. Once peace returns, the remnants of the government will collect themselves and find you.

I must depart. I wish you luck in the coming years. The future of humanity itself rests with you.
The angel then begins to rise towards the heavens, slowly at first, but gaining speed as he rises. After a few moments he disappears into the clouds and you are left on your own.

Orders of business:
1: Introduce and organize yourselves.
2: Decide how to gain control of the city and government.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Magitocracy of Aerowell IC
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 01:59:46 am »

"Anna de Sevio-Coroñez, but I suppose I need no introductions. Anyway, I suggest the age-old maxim of the carrot and the stick. You lot with the whimsy feel-good magic go and comfort the people while those with the more...unpleasant abilities go and deal with any resistance or outlaws that are currently in the capitol."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 02:08:56 am »

"Apollo Lionheart, at your service," a dashing young man with gold hair and eyes intoned, bowing to the group. His grin was a little too predatory- literally, his teeth were sharp- for the role he was playing, but otherwise he could easily pass for the valiant hero of just about any story.

His gem was similarly... nuanced. It had become a brilliant round red thing filled with loops and layers of darker color, granting it a magnificent texture reminiscent of a nebula or a sea viewed beneath the surface. And also ensuring that only the outer edges were purely translucent ruby, and that the core of the gem wasn't even visible beneath its layers of strangling coils.

"I doubt seizing control will be all that difficult, a little charisma goes a long way. The people will no doubt be thrilled to hear the mad king is dead and an angel's benign servants have assumed the throne." His smile cracked even wider. "Of course, some will be skeptical, but being skeptical and thrilled are rather at odds with each other, in my experience.

In fact,"
he continued, his grin turning sly, "Now might be a good time for some theatrics. Assembling a... oh, 'People's Hand', maybe? You know, an upjumped militia taken exclusively from no-name commoners, loyal to us and representing the people's commitment to our cause. Initially they make a big show glaring at people and pretending they're preventing looting, later they serve as a political tool and soak for any 'divine' gifts anyone feels like granting individual members."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

DontBanTheMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 02:59:54 am »

Bryn strokes his chin, where a scraggly blonde beard poked out subtly. His sheer size was intimidating enough, but his unsightly appearance made it all the worse. "Theatrics? I can certainly assist with that. There will undoubtedly be some in the area who will claim to be the new rulers. I can deal with them easily enough; though assistance would not be unappreciated. Shall we split up to deal with the situation?"
Life isn't fair, and neither am I.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 03:51:25 am »

"Je suis Victoria de Miroir, mes collègues."

The doll-like woman bows, smirking as usual.

"Theatrics? I can certainly assist with that. There will undoubtedly be some in the area who will claim to be the new rulers. I can deal with them easily enough; though assistance would not be unappreciated. Shall we split up to deal with the situation?"
"I agree, splitting up works well for this. I'll come with you. I have something to deal with unruly crowds; these would-be rulers no doubt have supporters."

"I have someone under me who has a talent with negotiations and diplomacy. Monsieur Dugris should probably go with the 'carrot' side of this split-up of ours, if we're doing it."

Victoria's gem has become an emerald-cut alexandrite with a hint of green to its colour. Well, at first: as soon as it is moved to receive light at a different angle, it varies between a jade green and a rose red colour in daylight. In other intensities and colours of light, the range of the gem's colours varies as well, occasionally also appearing yellow. Its inside is particularly clear and flawless, and the inside of the facet opposite to the beholder works as a mirror.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 06:08:47 am »

Hera admires her gemstone; a round piece of polished malachite, whose bands of lighter green ripple across its surface, creating the appearance of an ever-churning storm.

"To win over the common folk, surely a demonstration of our new powers will be sufficient?"

Hera draws a circle in her hand, then touches a dying flower clinging to life in the ruins of the castle. Before your eyes it seems to regain strength, its leaves growing greener and stronger, the petals no longer shrivelled, but proud and vibrant.
The lady seems somewhat out of breath after this demonstration, but continues.

"I'm sure you have all been blessed with similar abilities to impress the peasantry. Let us go win them over- and then decamp to a more pleasant setting in which to discuss matters. May I suggest Castle Harinus? At least until we have established a more fitting location in which to hold council, I would be glad to host our little get-togethers."

Castle Harinus managed to survive the reign of the mad king Lyrozan by virtue of its economic importance; serving as it does as a massive granary as well as a fortress. Though the mad king threatened to have it torn down many a time, the Harinus family always managed to avoid having their ancestral home destroyed by some combination of gifts of grain to the royal coffers and sheer luck.
Though not nearly as impressive as the former Castle Lyrozan, it still possesses thick walls and suitable accommodations for a host of nobles, their retainers, and a host of soldiers besides. Plus the council chamber there has a roof, so, you know, bonus.
Long Live United Forenia!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 07:22:46 am »

"I suppose Château de Harinus would do. My own château is built for comfort, not defence."

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:45:13 am »

Nagash's gem morphs into a jet black dagger with blood-red streaks on it that seem to slowly shift.

"My new abilities would likely scare the peasants more than they would bring admiration from them. I do have one spell that doesn't scream 'lynch me', however..."

Nagash uses his tiny rift fishing spell to open up a tiny portal to the magical realms, then closes it.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:50:24 am »

"Another yes to castle of yours Hera, Casa Blanca is likewise a place of work and leisure rather than defence."

A relatively new construction, it was built in the days of Anna's father and was where the legitimate de Sevio-Coroñez family spent their early days. Now of course, it was Anna's. As denoted by the name, its exterior is painted completely in white. While constructed of cheap stone, wood and plaster, La Casa Blanca is richly decorated with all kinds of art and vegetation that surely marks it as one of the greater manors of the realm. That it was built on a mountainous coastline of course, only added to the manor's beauty.

While the late king had indeed, been quite mad, de Sevio-Coroñez had suffered little difficulties relating to the tarnishing of their homes. After all, La Casa Blanca could not be said to be a defensive structure and regardless, Anna's predecessors had loyally served the old king regardless of his immorality.

"On another note, I would suggest sparing as many people as possible. Put the guilty on trial, release a few. Make nice with the useful ones. Anyone guilty can have their execution delayed by volunteering for spell experiments. Maybe a few for other reasons too..."

"Oh and before I forget, it'd be good if we secure the corpses of the dead. Not enough to be suspicious, but just enough for a few tests here and there."

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:54:56 am by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 09:05:44 am »

Karl watches his gem as it takes the form of a barely translucent geode, blue on the outside with faintly green crystals inside. As the sunlight passes through it, it creates wavy, sea-like patterns on the ground.

"Hello! I am known as Karl Cheerheart. I have been giving healing and stone magic. I would be happy to help with presenting a friendlier side.

Castle Harinus has my vote as well."

"Oh and before I forget, it'd be good if we secure the corpses of the dead. Not enough to be suspicious, but just enough for a few tests here and there."
"Ah -
I don't know what tests you're planning, but leave the people their funerary rites. It would be foolish to risk being caught desecrating their bodies while we're trying to convince others that we're rightfully appointed by Xykar."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:10:50 am »

"Now I'd be agreeing with you if we made up this whole thing about Xykar. Thing is, he actually did appoint us, saints and bastards both, with abilities that many would call a wee bit on the evil side. Are you calling the Angel of Man evil, Mr. Cheerheart? If he didn't want us to use these power he'd have given us some more nice-nice abilities, eh? Hell, he's apparently giving me the go ahead to summon demons!"
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:15 am »

"On another note, I would suggest sparing as many people as possible."
"Not a problem. That reminds me, I need to get a slingshot from somewhere."

((For the record, House de Miroir's manor is named Château de la Montagne d'Argent.))
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:22:11 am by IcyTea31 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 09:38:14 am »

"If Xykar believes that we will need such powers to protect the world, so be it. But that does not mean that we should abandon all pretenses of discretion."

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 09:59:15 am »

"Jean Merragius at your service". The old man says with a sneer.

As Jean takes the gem, it takes on a center the color of blood, while rings of gold encircle it. When light shines through it, it glitters and shimmers, appearing to become fluid.

"If Xykar believes that we will need such powers to protect the world, so be it. But that does not mean that we should abandon all pretenses of discretion."
"Mr. Cheerheart, power is meant to be used. If the Angel of Man wished that Anna would not summon a demon he wouldn't have given her that power! Discretion is for secrets, not power.

While my powers don't lean towards something that would cause fear from the peasants, they don't really inspire awe from them quite yet. I will leave winning them over to someone else.

And as to a place where we meet, well I suggest that we continue to meet here. If our meeting place is to become a seat of power, it would best not to be in a place anyone controls. Also, staying in a ruined, blasted place like this would remind us and our successors that one should never remain comfortable in the seat of power."
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 10:12:41 am »

"And as to a place where we meet, well I suggest that we continue to meet here. If our meeting place is to become a seat of power, it would best not to be in a place anyone controls. Also, staying in a ruined, blasted place like this would remind us and our successors that one should never remain comfortable in the seat of power."
"The purpose of staying in Château de Harinus would be for us to stay safe while we build a government, not to make it into a seat of one. We can rebuild Château de Lyrozan (and rename it) later or even build a brand new seat for us, but right now stabilizing the nation is more important than considering who owns the meeting place."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5