Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC  (Read 8078 times)

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC
« on: December 27, 2016, 02:50:39 am »

In the year 100 the Goddess permitted Xykar, the Angel of Man, to enter the world so that he may usher in a new era. Xykar reached down into the world and smote the Lyrozan the Mad, king of Aerowell. Thus ending the Age of Tyranny that had descended upon the kingdom in a time before time. However, Xykar knew that this was not enough. Unless he took action, another tyrant would surely arise to replace the last. Thus he blessed the six noble houses of Aerowell with the ability to control magic and the Magitocracy of Aerowell came into existance...

The Magitocracy of Aerowell is a game of magic and politics. A new era is beginning in the fair land of Aerowell and you are at the center of it. Each player will play as the lord of their noble house, a mage and a ruler by divine right. With wisdom, cunning, and care the six noble houses will guide Aerowell into the future.

The Phases
Each turn is broken into an Info-phase, Council-phase, and Action-phase. During the info-phase each player will receive a PM that gives them information concerning their particular house, their player, and any events that specifically effect them. Armed with this information you will enter the action phase. During this phase players will meet at the Council of Mages in order to discuss pertinent events and decide on a course of action for the country to take. In other words, government. There will be debate, voting, rules, and whatnot, all decided by the players themselves. Finally I'll post a results phase, which will be the results of the actions you decided to take. Furthermore you will be able to take personal or house-wide actions during this time.

The Actions
There are two times per turn that you can take an action:
The first is at the council, where you shall vote, discuss, and be the leaders of Aerowell.
The second is during the action phase. During this phase you may take an action as your character. This may be to meet a foreign dignitary, or personally address an issue not addressed by the council, or to research your magic further, really it can be anything that your character is capable of doing. Furthermore other members of your household may take actions during this turn, some of which you may be able to influence or direct. Each turn lasts one year unless otherwise stated.

The Magic
You are a mage, one of the first of your kind. You have the ability to control magic, an incredibly rare and powerful gift, given to directly to you by the angel who created mankind. While this is great and all, you have very little idea how to use it. Magic takes decades to master, and tons of research and training. You are by no means a master, you are a novice. But research and training are key. Discovering new or powerful magics will give you an advantage over the other houses. Furthermore any magic discovered by you can be quickly learned by other members of your household.

Magic itself is slow and methodical. It takes ritual, preparation, and reagents. It is not a simple process, but its effects can be worthwhile. It will take years (turns) of research to discover new spells, but knowing even one good spell is enough to make a large difference in this world. Some spells will require ingredients. More often than not, you or a member of your house will have to collect these during an action phase. 

The Currency, Taxation, and Happiness
The council as a whole guides the country by creating policy, dealing with international affairs, solving domestic issues, and all that good governmental stuff. However, each house is in charge of a segment of the population in their area. This is your domain, the area of the country that you and your house are stewards for. And the people in this area not only pay taxes to the Council, but to you as their lord/lady as well. In exchange they will often make requests, demands, and pleas to you to solve their issues. Doing so will increase their happiness, not doing so will decrease it. Unhappy peasants will sometimes skip paying taxes, or may even turn to violence if they are extremely angry.

Character Sheet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nobility Traits (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starting Magics (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 02:33:04 pm by Roboson »

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Magitocracy of Aerowell OOC (0/6)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 02:50:56 am »

Reserved.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 12:17:53 pm »

Fallen Gods update pretty please? Or were we still waiting for player responses, I forget

Would hemomancy have synergistic effects with necromancy or interact with the Blood Sacrifice trait?

Would my chosen nobility traits pass on to my descendants?

Chloramancy seems the most immediately useful magic in our probably agrarian society. Could you elaborate on Animancy? Not sure if I want to take it in combination with necromancy or just stick with Chloramancy.

Of course, Healing would also be nice for not having my character die from stubbing his toe (actually, Healing and Blood magic seems like an interesting combination for mage warriors who buff themselves and use magic on their own blood. Mmm...). Decisions decisions. Is liching (or maybe even vampiring?) possible, and if so, what school would work best with Necromancy to reach that goal?

Character Name: Hendrick Vanger el Gralton, the Fierce
Physical Description: A large robust man with a booming voice, who enjoys wrestling and hunting. His large curly beard covers most of his face.
Genetic traits: Orange hair hair and eyes, vividly green skin and a vestigial third eye on their forehead.
Nobility Traits: Interesting Interest and Blood Sacrifice
Magic Start: Primus Necromancy, Secundus Chloramancy
Holdings: N/A

The Phases
Each turn is broken into an Info-phase, Council-phase, and Action-phase. During the info-phase each player will receive a PM that gives them information concerning their particular house, their player, and any events that specifically effect them. Armed with this information you will enter the action phase. During this phase players will meet at the Council of Mages in order to discuss pertinent events and decide on a course of action for the country to take. In other words, government. There will be debate, voting, rules, and whatnot, all decided by the players themselves. Finally I'll post a results phase, which will be the results of the actions you decided to take. Furthermore you will be able to take personal or house-wide actions during this time.

So there's an info-phase, council-phase and action-phase. The council-phase is never explained and a results phase gets added at the end. I think the council stuff is supposed to be the council phase, not the action phase, and the results phase might perhaps be the action phase for house actions?

((Also, the more commonly used spelling for a government of mages is Magocracy. >_> ))
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:54:34 pm by Demonic Spoon »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 02:24:28 pm »

Interested. Making a sheet.

Edit:

Character Name: Victoria de Miroir
Physical Description: A tall yet thin, long-haired woman possessing an unearthily perfect form and face. She looks more creepy than beautiful; her face might as well be made of porcelain. And similar to a porcelain doll, her small mouth rarely leaves its permanent self-indulgent smirk and her eyes stay very open, watching their surroundings with interest. She favours risqué – perhaps even immodest – clothing, simultaneously revealing everything and nothing to onlookers. Her general speaking voice is seductive, yet somehow predatory, and somewhat accented, as if she wasn't speaking her native language.
Genetic traits: Reflective pearly white or grey hair, similarly reflective silvery eyes, milky-white skin, and a literally forked tongue lending itself to a honeyed voice.
Nobility Traits: Constant Study, Speak Softly
Magic Start: Primaire: L'Ouvrage de Lumière (Lumomancy); Secondaire: L'Ouvrage d'Âmes (Animancy)
Holdings: Diplomat unit

The suffix '-mancy' is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. I'll tolerate it from others, but I hope nobody minds if I try to avoid it myself. Makes for a character quirk, if nothing else.

Could you elaborate on Animancy?
I'd imagine it's golems and stuff. The name would also imply messing with souls to some extent.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:07:57 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 02:49:02 pm »

I think I'll join, probably as a healer.

What does hemomancy do? Is it like "ripping the blood out of people and using it to spear others," or is it more of a "blood sacrifice to empower other schools" sort of thing?
Would weather control be a subset of elementalism, or its own school?
I'd expect peasants to be as scared of shadow magic as they are of blood magic.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2016, 03:37:32 pm »

Seems cool. Rollin' up a sheet.

EDIT: Here we go

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:21:38 pm by DolosusDoleus »
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 04:17:37 pm »

Someone should take plant magic as their main focus. Between that and serfs, you could probably set up reagent farms.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 09:41:01 pm by Nirur Torir »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 04:56:24 pm »

Someone should take plant magic as their main focus. Between that and serfs, you could probably set up reagent farms.
You know, I was just thinking that. Add in some weather control, and you can out-agriculture everyone. By which I mean, provide agricultural services to everyone, not rising up to become the dominant house by virtue of controlling the ground floor of the entire economy.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 05:33:32 pm »

Hendrick with necromancy and chloramancy.
Victoria with light and animation.
Jean with animancy and binding.
Karl with healing and earth magic.
Hera with chloramancy and weather magic.

Between myself and Hera, we should be able to heavily mitigate most mass-death disasters. Plagues, famines, droughts, even hurricanes and tsunamis.
For economy, we have 1.5 agri-wizards. My earth magic should be able to build infrastructure, fortifications, and mines. 1.5 animationists and a necromancer could free up serfs for an early industrial revolution of sorts.
I'm worried about military. A necromancer probably doesn't synergize particularly well with thanatophobic mundane armies. 1.5 animation, 1 light, .5 binding, earth, and weather. We're alright, but are pretty reliant on normal troops and might have trouble with a two-front war.
With only a secondary weather mage, we're just not a naval or trading power.
We're almost completely boring! We have a necromancer aiming at immortality (So am I, naturally), but have no demons or blood mages! This is terrible!

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2016, 05:48:13 pm »

I'm worried about military.
--
we're just not a naval or trading power.
I'm not going to reveal my cards yet, but with House de Miroir on board, you won't have to worry about foreign politics.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 05:51:03 pm by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

DolosusDoleus

• Bay Watcher
  • Affably Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2016, 06:29:13 pm »

--
I'm not going to reveal my cards yet, but with House de Miroir on board, you won't have to worry about foreign politics.
Similarly, I'll let you all know that with House Merragius here, trade won't be an issue.
Does that make scientific sense? No? Well it's Earth IV and he's a giant crocodile-man. Use your imagination.
Ongoing Forum Thingamajiggers:
Wikipedia Wars: Revengance

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2016, 09:28:06 pm »

We're almost completely boring! We have a necromancer aiming at immortality (So am I, naturally), but have no demons or blood mages! This is terrible!
You've given me an idea. You did this. This is your fault.

Character Name: Apollo Oakleaf Dierand of House Lionheart
Physical Description: A downright heroic looking young man, with a powerful build, dashing features, and golden hair and eyes. His teeth are a little pointy, but in a nobly fierce, lion-like way. Yes, clearly.
Genetic traits: Golden hair and eyes, attractive features, heroic build, sharp teeth
Nobility Traits: Double or Nothing, Military Mastermind
Magic Start: Major Binding Magic, Minor Demomancy
Holdings: -
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 09:56:38 pm »

--
Both land and naval forces? I'm guessing magical laser cannons.

Similarly, I'll let you all know that with House Merragius here, trade won't be an issue.
Hmm. Magically binding contracts, carefully made with fae-like misdirection.

You've given me an idea. You did this. This is your fault.
With a major in binding? You might be planning to power a special industrial revolution.

"And over here, we have our printing press, powered by It Which Has Conquered A Dozen Worlds, Sklknkkl-Hvrlk-lj, Harbinger of Unending Nightmares. Amusing tidbit: We never could get it to stop messing with its print jobs, which is why page 9 is always a horrifying blasphemy.
Now, our water cooler has a funny story behind it. You see..."

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2016, 12:37:51 am »

@Demonicspoon: Yeah I renamed the phases at the beginning, but it looks like I didn't proofread well enough. They're supposed to be Info, Council, and Action in that order.

@Nirur Torir: Blood magic can really be either. There's a lot of personal style and preference that goes into magic. For example, earth magic can involve sinking enemies into the ground, or it can be used to find gems and such.

@Everyone: Reviewing sheets tonight, I'll start on the IC in the morning.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2016, 12:42:16 am »

My other questions?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6