Yes
- 4 (40%)
No
- 2 (20%)
Coolio
- 4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23

Author Topic: Survival of the Meanest  (Read 37219 times)

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
Re: Survival of the Meanest
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2016, 03:27:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2016, 04:25:30 pm »

Spoiler: Gromble! (click to show/hide)
[[ Oooh, a puppy! This'll just be a fluff post and naming the doggy then, while we wait for others' turns. ]]

Again, taking in the surroundings of the diminutive camp site, a sprinkle of uneasiness comes over Grom. He questions the safety of the little one, had he accidentally left him behind? They were quite small afterall, it wouldn't be so unheard of. . .

The massive man's thoughts were broken in the moment, the pup of earlier had arrived right after him. Unexpected, but certainly not unwelcome. From his seat upon a log, Gromble reaches out with one his thick hands to firmly stroke the animal. It's fur, while matted, retained a certain brown sheen.

"Where are you from, boy?" He spoke with a slight chuckle. Of course he wouldn't get an answer.

"Hund, you like? I think I'll call you that. . ." He continues happily, whatever negative emotions he had built up from earlier vanished near instantly as he pet his new companion.

Hund:

Since everyone but Fu Qyu is waiting for turn 2 of day 4, I hereby declare Fu Qyu to be resting. He will get a bonus to his next turn's rolls.

You just made me feel like the biggest dick ever.

It was an accident...

I have no damn idea why you feel like a dick, dying is something we all do

Really, I'm the biggest dick here for skipping Fu Qyu.

Turn 3 of Day 4 has started!

"Servants of the night... gather. Those who would threaten your bindings to the mortal plane have gathered in the wood. They know it not yet, but they are chosen by our enemies to stop our return. Let none of them live, and make sure they don't find the Blades of the Titans. Tonight is a new moon, and tonight you will strike."

"Servants of the night... gather."

Moar shadowmonsters!

The old merchant finally fixed up his cart, but it was near night. He set up a camp and lit a fire in the rocky fields. It was exposed, yes, but he could see in almost all directions for many yards. This was where he would sleep for the night. He started whittling a stick, humming a jolly tune.

Fighting style: aggressive

Han Yu stealthily approaches the village again. If he sees any lone goblins, he rushes them. If not, he hides nearby the village.

You approach the village. Your hatred for the roaming goblins increases when you see the bodies of a few gnomish children, brutally mauled. They were children. You watch the village for a while, but to your dismay, the goblins move in squadrons, and rushing a whole squad would be suicide. You consider turning back, but keep watching dutifully. Your efforts pay off when a goblin warrior, drunk and stumbling, detaches from his squadron to relieve himself. He pauses at the stump of a tree and fumbles with his leather greaves. He curses. The whole while, you sneak ever closer, and you're soon within feet of the goblin, which is oblivious to your presence. Just as the goblin slides down his greaves, revealing an unsavory sight, you rush him, clasping your hand over his mouth.

Combat log:

You charge the drunk goblin warrior, bowling him over!
The goblin is reeling from his fall.
You strike the goblin with your pike.
The goblin stands up.
You strike the goblin with your fist!
The goblin strikes at you with his copper short sword, but you parry.
You strike at the goblin, but he parries.
The goblin tries to run away, but fails.
You strike at the goblin with your pike, but he parries.
The goblin runs away!

You watch in horror as the goblin screams at a nearby squad, and they all rush after you. You run as fast as you can, and lose them in the wood. However, it's nearly nighttime, and you're utterly lost. The sun sets completely, leaving you alone in the dark woods. After a while, you see a glow in the distance, and stumble towards it, hoping for a warm fire and some sympathizing wanderers. What you find instead is the red eye of a strange creature, a living shadow. It's rather small, and ambles around on two legs. You strike at it, and it melts into the darkness. That's when about 100 similar red eyes open all around you, and a horde of the creatures pour at you. Two huge monsters of shadow emerge from the horde of smaller ones. One of the has three tall, spindly legs and stands over 15 feet tall (seen in one of the pictures in this post). The other, a strange wolflike creature with a spider's fangs and the front legs of an insect, is about the size of a rhino, but moves with the agility of a cat (see my shadow creature in a previous post). You start fighting with the lesser creatures, slashing at them with your pike. A few get struck in their eyes, and dissolve into the shadows, but there are still so many more. You're about to give up when firebrand is hurled into the midst of the monsters. The shadow creatures closest to the thrown torch dissolve in a black mist. Soon, another torch is thrown, and the shadow creatures start to retreat. The three-legged creature shrieks, trying to hurl its subordinates back at you, but they flee. Soon, only the three-legged creature and the wolfish creature. The three-legged one stumbles away, screeching into the night, but the wolflike one remains, pacing back and forth in the shadows. It is obviously more powerful than its three-legged counterpart, yet it doesn't attack. It slinks back into the woods from whence it came, making not a sound.

You turn around and see an old man bearing two torches. Without a word, he hands one to you.

"Tomorrow morning, come to the rocky fields North of here."

You return to your camp and sleep after lighting a bonfire.

Combat Stance: Balanced
Use sinew to bind the bones together into a piece of armor. Fit it with leather for comfort.
"Hey, uhh... Aim for legs or arms with that mace. It can break bones.

And uhhh... I'm sorry for your loss...
"

Missed that, sorry.

You try to create armor from the bones. You don't seem to have enough for a full chestplate, but you manage to make a decent helmet. Your skill as a tinkerer really helps.
You lose

Bone x 3
Sinew x 2

You get

Masterful skullbone skullcap, +1 defense, hella scary, not gonna break anytime soon

You make a few half-hearted attempts at conversation with Elise, but she doesn't seem to want to talk. To be fair, you wouldn't want to talk either after losing everyone you know to goblins and quicksand. You sleep, comforted by the crackling fire.

Stats:

Write yer own damn backstory, I've got shiz to do
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:29:41 pm by Rethi-Eli »
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2016, 04:53:57 pm »

Spoiler: Prior Action (click to show/hide)

Turn III Day IV

The great and glorious celestial light wheeled down, soon replaced by it's counterpart in the dimming sky. A sign of dread for all, even the staunchest of men, such as Grom. Perhaps especially so. A prayer for salvation for but a moment. Before coming to the realization the once again, it was a night without fire. And the wood grew ever colder.

Gromble turned to the pooch, and gestured, holding a twig that he'd been holding, hoping for some understanding. "Wood, sticks, ehh. . . Anything flammable and dry. We need that, you see Hund? Could you find that for me boy? Don't go to far. . . I want to have my eye on you at all times."

Whether or not the dog would manage anything, Grom would then make most assuredly to work with the resources at his disposal, he needed that warmth, he needed that light.

Nevertheless, with everything either said or done, the heavy-set man would find some sequestered alcove to rest in. With all hope that it'd be a peaceful one. He prayed again, the morning couldn't come swiftly enough.
I've lost control of my life.

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2016, 04:59:27 pm »

Don the helmet. Hunt, and also look for traces of other sentient beings.

"... Do you feel like you're being watched?"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2016, 05:00:56 pm »

Hmm. Looks like I missed a turn or so? I hunted up some deer leather? good, good, I'll mark that.

For future reference, Most of my posts will be afternoon and evening EST. If I am with another player and they are not hostile, auto me as tagging along with them and echoing their action. if they hunt, I hunt with them. If they forage, I forage. If they battle, I hide nerby and scavenge leftovers / treat wounds. At night I will always return to my hiding place.

For this turn, I seek out Gromble and tag along with him. If he needs a fire lit, I'll help with that. Oh, provided, of course, that the dog doesn't hate me.

H-hello, big guy. A-are you there? A d-dog? Is it s-s-safe? I have supplies. Perhaps we can start making some ... I don't know, clothes or something? Armor?

Spoiler: Fu Qyu (click to show/hide)

vishdafish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look at me grow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2016, 05:14:39 pm »

Fighting Style: balanced

A debt must be repaid. Han Yu goes to the rocky fields to meet up with the old man.

((Wow, that was a close shave.  :o))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 05:43:45 pm by vishdafish »

star2wars3

• Bay Watcher
  • Join The Dark Side!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »

Climb Up The Nearest Tree. Do a spot check. If I see anything below me stay in the tree and rest. If not climb down.

If I climbed down light the tree on fire and run.

((Batshit evil, pessimistic neutral and clumsy good cover nearly entire spectrum. Sadly, but optimists are a rare breed, that is currently running into extinction.))
((That tends to happen when you're optimistic enough to wait out the apocalypse. I wish them plenty of luck, but chances are they'll need it.))

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2016, 07:07:36 pm »

Name: Caleb Fenrir

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2016, 09:55:27 pm »

Turn III Day IV

The great and glorious celestial light wheeled down, soon replaced by it's counterpart in the dimming sky. A sign of dread for all, even the staunchest of men, such as Grom. Perhaps especially so. A prayer for salvation for but a moment. Before coming to the realization the once again, it was a night without fire. And the wood grew ever colder.

Gromble turned to the pooch, and gestured, holding a twig that he'd been holding, hoping for some understanding. "Wood, sticks, ehh. . . Anything flammable and dry. We need that, you see Hund? Could you find that for me boy? Don't go to far. . . I want to have my eye on you at all times."

Whether or not the dog would manage anything, Grom would then make most assuredly to work with the resources at his disposal, he needed that warmth, he needed that light.

Nevertheless, with everything either said or done, the heavy-set man would find some sequestered alcove to rest in. With all hope that it'd be a peaceful one. He prayed again, the morning couldn't come swiftly enough.

You have better luck starting a fire. If you had tinder, this would take much less time, but you make do with what you possess. After laboring over a pile of dry logs for a while. As the sun sets, you think you hear the sounds of combat in the distance, but you can't be sure. You go to sleep, and das Hund sleeps with you.

Hmm. Looks like I missed a turn or so? I hunted up some deer leather? good, good, I'll mark that.

For future reference, Most of my posts will be afternoon and evening EST. If I am with another player and they are not hostile, auto me as tagging along with them and echoing their action. if they hunt, I hunt with them. If they forage, I forage. If they battle, I hide nerby and scavenge leftovers / treat wounds. At night I will always return to my hiding place.

For this turn, I seek out Gromble and tag along with him. If he needs a fire lit, I'll help with that. Oh, provided, of course, that the dog doesn't hate me.

H-hello, big guy. A-are you there? A d-dog? Is it s-s-safe? I have supplies. Perhaps we can start making some ... I don't know, clothes or something? Armor?

Bleeeaaaargh, I need to limit the number of items people can carry

Eh, I'll do that later.

You make your way back to your old campsite. Sure enough, Gromble is sleeping there, as well as a small dog. You wake Gromble, and the two of you converse.

"Ah, my friend! Come, please sit with me by the fire. This is Hund. He's a playful pup, but he will do you harm."

The dog licks your face. You wipe of the slobber and scratch the dog behind the ear.

"Tonight will be a safe night, I believe." says Gromble, relieved by something. "So, you spoke of making something, yes?"

You nod. Gromble looks at your supplies, intrigued.

"Quite interesting! I myself have a fine piece of armor, but you seem rather unfitted in that sense. Ah! I have an idea!"

Gromble takes your rock and starts scraping the leather you have. He lays it out in the grass.

"I can tan this leather in the sun! By midafternoon tomorrow, I shall have you fitted with a fine piece of armor."

You thank Gromble and return to your camp. You feel eyes boring into you as you sleep, but nothing dares enter the firelight.

Gromble the Terrifying and Fu Qyu the Small are now allies! They have the option to pool their resources, as well as

Teach each other skills!

Swap companions!

Murder each other in the ultimate betrayal!

Climb Up The Nearest Tree. Do a spot check. If I see anything below me stay in the tree and rest. If not climb down.

If I climbed down light the tree on fire and run.

Ah, our resident pyromaniac returns!
This time, you're a bit more successful at making the pretty orange flowers.

You feel eyes on you as night falls. You climb a tree, nimbly swinging from branch to branch. You feel whatever watches you draw closer. In a bout of panic, you use your stick, along with friction, to light the tree ablaze. Whatever was watching you withdraws into the darkness, You sit by the tree, sleeping as the burning tree disintegrates into glowing embers.

Day 5, Turn 1 has started!

Aloren treks through the mountain pass, silver rapier in hand. His squadron follows close behind - two experienced hunters, a tracker, and two apprentice slayers. It was a motley crew, but Aloren trusted in the skill of himself and the tracker to get them through the ordeal. They had three assignments. Aloren glanced at the sheet given to him.

Aloren,

This may be your most challenging mission yet. You have three missions -

Purge the vampire den in the Kazamar Mountains. This is the most dangerous of your assignments by far.

Slay the weretiger that resides in the Northern Wilds. This should be simple.

Finally, your easiest task - investigate a rumor of shadows springing to life in the Northern Wilds. I assure you it's a myth, so just pretend to investigate, maybe spend a night in the woods to assure locals, and leave.

You are so close to becoming a full fledged field operative, Aloren. Succeed at this and you will most definitely receive a promotion.

Inquisitor Jikaro

He had already slain the vampires, and the weretiger would be easy. As for the myth, he thought nothing of it. He grinned as he daydreamed of his promotion to an Alpha field operative.

Caleb, you're a Dorf! Please choose your class.

Don the helmet. Hunt, and also look for traces of other sentient beings.

"... Do you feel like you're being watched?"

All of last night, you felt something outside of your camp, watching you. With dawn, the feeling leaves. You turn to Elise, who is awake and feeding the fire.

"Did you feel it watching you?" is all you ask.

"It's the shadows." she replies, continuing to break up sticks and toss them in the flames. "They're living things, silent observers of the living. Recently, they stopped observing and starting killing, with the same silence they've always had. Even the goblins are terrified of them."

You nod to show your understanding. If you want to get anything done, its best to do it before the sun sets.

"Gear up." you say. "We're going hunting."

The two of you head far North, skirting the marsh where Fu-Ka-Yu met his end. You reach the rocky field, and see an old man sleeping by a large fire. He wakes with a jolt as you pass by.

"Ah, travelers, why do you pass through such a land? Well, I'd never understand. Perhaps we can at least barter. I am Kalorn Theoclymenus, at your service."

You and Elise introduce yourselves.

"Well, it seems that I interrupt you. Please return if you have pelts to sell, they are in high demand in Kanthaa! Luck be with you, and may the shadows of night not find thee!"

The old man's last sentence disturbs you, but you thank him and return to hunting. You and Elise travel to the snow-covered mountains that fringe the Northern part of the Wilds, and spot a herd of mountain goats. You lay a clever trap - you charge at the goats from one side, and Elise waits at the other, hiding behind a rock. The plan works wonderfully - you secure at least two weeks' worth of meat, and quite a few other useful animal-related supplies.
You get

Sinew x 6
Bone x 4
Goat leather x 3

On your way back, the trader offers to buy the goat hides you have for twelve drachmas apiece. You tell him that you'll consider it, after seeing that he has a fine blade for sale for 100 drachmas, as well as a few other odds and ends.

Fighting Style: balanced

A debt must be repaid. Han Yu goes to the rocky fields to meet up with the old man.

((Wow, that was a close shave.  :o))

You go to the rocky field. Sure enough, the man that saved you is waiting there, leaning on his cart. When he sees you, he motions for you to come closer.

"Something is very wrong in these woods, and you witnessed it firsthand yesterday. I was sent to find those worthy of stopping the incursion of the Shadow Wraiths, and the way you fought... I think you may be one of those worthy to take on the battle to defeat the Shadow Wraiths and their leader. I cannot tell you who sent me, I can simply tell you that whatever told me to help you told me to wait where a pebble stopped me from continuing. Sure enough, last night my cart lost a wheel after rolling over a sharp rock. Now, take as long as you want to think about this. When you've decided, come back to me."

Your head is spinning. Everything is happening so quickly...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 10:21:50 pm by Rethi-Eli »

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2016, 10:01:05 pm »

Hold on to the pelts for now. Return to my shelter and begin harvesting wood from the nearby area, using my spare copper knife as a harvesting tool. Use this wood to significantly bulk up the walls of my lean-to, turning it into an impromptu hut. Attempt to construct a small torch within the structure.
"Elise... I haven't asked, because I didn't want to make you think about it, but...

The man who died. Was he... your father?
"
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2016, 10:20:50 pm »

Race: Dwarf
Class: Strafer

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2016, 11:04:30 pm »

((might want to consider limiting the number of active players as well. Maybe add a waitlist or somesuch. Up to you though.))

I return to my ally in the rocky field. I assume this means I will likely encounter the others again. If so, if I am with my ally I will exchange pleasantries and offer to trade items. If I am alone, I will hide.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2016, 11:09:42 pm »

The morning light comes once more, washing its cleansing and protective rays yet again over the accursed land. And just as well, like clockwork, the large man jolts awake, taking in everything at once. The campsite, the Hund, the man himself. A sigh of relief again. Another night saved from horror.

Gromble strokes the pup nestled beside awake, before eventually finding the will to stand, and stand tall he had. 'Afterall, the early bird catches the worm, no?'

Though, before setting out, Grom had a vague pondering of his situation.

It was true, there would be no society for which he found himself welcome, especially so in these lands. What was the point, the goal? No man would allow themselves to simply waste away within a dark wood for all time? No. A man takes his life into their hands, molds it and forges onward. Despite these harsh surroundings, it was the first time in a long time that he had such control of his destiny.

And thusly, Gromble, then and there made perhaps the grandest path changing decision of his life. He would break the chains that bind him, there must be a way, some method. . . There must.

But first however, this was to be the large man's home, if only temporary. Still gracious was he for the little one's generosity, he could find a good friend in that tiny tot. After tending to the embers, Grom, with Hund beside, would better aquatint himself with the nearby area about the campsite. As well as foraging for anything that might prove useful in beefing it up.
I've lost control of my life.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 21, 2016, 12:48:38 am »

((might want to consider limiting the number of active players as well. Maybe add a waitlist or somesuch. Up to you though.))

I return to my ally in the rocky field. I assume this means I will likely encounter the others again. If so, if I am with my ally I will exchange pleasantries and offer to trade items. If I am alone, I will hide.

I was gonna lock down the game pretty soon. My remedy to this problem is simply having everyone specify an automation that they perform while inactive. I alternate between having them do this and rest (resting gives a non-stacking bonus to your next roll). Also, both units of leather you have (rabbit and deer) are drying in the sun. At the start of turn 3, they'll be ready to work with.

You meet with Gromble, who is more than happy to join you on your excursion. When you reach the center of the rocky field, you spy a cart in the distance. Two people converse by it. As you draw closer, you realize that one of the people talking is the Elf who tried to kill you. You quickly recount the details to Gromble, who also seems stumped.

"Well, if he tries anything, Hund and I shall be here."

"Thank you. I really appreciate the help."

Although you have the habit of stuttering while nervous, you find your speech come freely. Gromble is a good person, and his towering form is almost a testimony to his protective and stalwart nature. You stride up to the two, knife in hand. They notice Gromble immediately, but you're dismayed when they look straight over your head. However, the Elf notices you when you muster up your strength and kick him in the shin. Only after you do so do you realize that may not have been the best course of action. The Elf, cursing and hopping on one leg, readies a long pike and prepares to fight before he recognizes you. His pike drops from his hands, and he starts profusely apologizing. You don't kick him again like you planned to do, but you don't answer. Gromble watches the whole scene unfold. He's smiling as usual, but you see his hand resting on the walking stick he wields as a weapon.

Ignoring the Elf's apologies, you greet the old man who was talking with him, as does Gromble. The man's eyes light up, as he shouts something you don't exactly understand.

"Yes, yes, this was also part of the prophecy! The Large and the Small, the great Giant and the brave Fighter! You two - it is your destiny to fight the creatures of the night!"

Both you and Gromble understand nothing of what he says.

"It is a long story. Let me just say that the Pikeman, the Hunter and Huntress, and now you have shown yourselves."

He explains a bit more. You're apparently destined to fight evil shadows... come to think of it, you do remember seeing a few strange happenings at night. He refuses to reveal more, stating that all must be present when the rest is told, and that a number of you are missing. He doesn't miss the opportunity to profit, either. He states that he's buying animal pelts, and selling a variety of weapons and armaments. You and Gromble retire, thanking the old man. Gromble also shakes the Elf's hand, but you are less than eager to follow suit.

The morning light comes once more, washing its cleansing and protective rays yet again over the accursed land. And just as well, like clockwork, the large man jolts awake, taking in everything at once. The campsite, the Hund, the man himself. A sigh of relief again. Another night saved from horror.

Gromble strokes the pup nestled beside awake, before eventually finding the will to stand, and stand tall he had. 'Afterall, the early bird catches the worm, no?'

Though, before setting out, Grom had a vague pondering of his situation.

It was true, there would be no society for which he found himself welcome, especially so in these lands. What was the point, the goal? No man would allow themselves to simply waste away within a dark wood for all time? No. A man takes his life into their hands, molds it and forges onward. Despite these harsh surroundings, it was the first time in a long time that he had such control of his destiny.

And thusly, Gromble, then and there made perhaps the grandest path changing decision of his life. He would break the chains that bind him, there must be a way, some method. . . There must.

But first however, this was to be the large man's home, if only temporary. Still gracious was he for the little one's generosity, he could find a good friend in that tiny tot. After tending to the embers, Grom, with Hund beside, would better aquatint himself with the nearby area about the campsite. As well as foraging for anything that might prove useful in beefing it up.

After conversing with the Elf and the old man, you, Fu Qyu, and Hund set off to forage for supplies. It's exhausting work to be sure, but in the end you manage to scrounge up a few nice things from an abandoned cabin you stumble across. You shortly consider fixing it up and residing in it, but you abandon the idea when you see how dark the house is. It's made of wood, so a torch inside is a bad idea to say the least, and lighting a torch outside won't banish the darkness in the cabin. Besides, the roof is missing, and one of the walls is filled with termites. At least you find some supplies inside.
You get

String
Sharp shard of glass x 2
Copper drachma x 6
Child's copper logging axe ((rusty)), +2 attack, prone to breaking

You offer Fu Qyu some of what you found, since he was actually the one that found the string and the coins. He gratefully accepts, taking only the string.
You lose

String

Fu Qyu gets

String

Race: Dwarf
Class: Strafer

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)

I believe everyone has gone.
As such, Turn 2 of Day 5 has begun!

Hold on to the pelts for now. Return to my shelter and begin harvesting wood from the nearby area, using my spare copper knife as a harvesting tool. Use this wood to significantly bulk up the walls of my lean-to, turning it into an impromptu hut. Attempt to construct a small torch within the structure.
"Elise... I haven't asked, because I didn't want to make you think about it, but...

The man who died. Was he... your father?
"

I admire the tinkerer in the horde of strafers. Nobody appreciates tinkerers until they watch said tinkerer make an awesome house, complete with traps.

Elise and you are cleaning the blood from your weapons in a nearby pool. In the middle of washing your bone blade, you look at her. Even though her long red hair obscures her face, you still see a sadness, in her eyes, the same sadness you've seen in the eyes of soldiers returned from the front line of a war. Although you don't mean to, you ask her a question that you've been pondering for a while.

"The man who died... Was he your father?"

She stops washing her mace for a second, and her hands tremble slightly.

"No. He saved my life only a day before he died."

You wait before asking your second question.

"I understand being sad about his death, but if you've only known him for a day, why are you so attached to him?"

Elise says nothing for a few seconds, looking wistfully into the pond. There's something about her eyes that show loss, more emotion than words could ever display...

"He reminded me of my brother. I watched him die fighting a goblin chieftain. The goblin had one of his men come up behind my brother and run a spear through his back. My brother was the captain of the guard at my town. When the goblins attacked, he guided me and a few other children to a secret exit, killing any goblins that happened to notice us. However, a whole squadron happened upon us at once. My brother and the two men under his command held them at bay for as long as they could, but the goblins were too many. I was the only one who made it to the secret exit. All of the other children were either killed or enslaved. I ran as far as I could from the town, and I got lost here. Then Fu-Ka-Yu found me. He could have let me die and taken my few possessions, but instead he saved me, only to suffer the very fate he rescued me from. Just like... just like my brother."

A single tear rolls down Elise's cheek, and falls into the pond below. You don't know what to say, and decide not to speak at all. Elise finishes washing her mace, and puts in back in her belt. You start to wonder why she's sticking with you, but you don't ask her any more questions. You spend a few hours expanding your shelter, adding two new rooms. The first is an entrance vestibule, with a few slots functioning as windows. It's mostly bare, except for the fire pit in the center of the room. A small hole in the ceiling allows smoke to rise, and lets the firelight shine outside as well. You use a small piece of wood, ignited in your main fire, to light this secondary fire. The second room you add is a bedroom for Elise that doubles as a storage room. Since you're starting to tire from carrying all of your equipment, you dump all of your building materials and wood there, and take only what's necessary. The process as a whole takes up about three hours.

Rautherdir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 21, 2016, 01:33:37 am »

Forage

Spoiler: Caleb Fenrir (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 23