Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189420 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1785 on: February 18, 2017, 02:08:18 am »

I have a secondary domain in the far north available for someone who's willing to be my vassal. It's fairly well established with a decent economy going. Message me if interested.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: February 19, 2017, 11:26:11 am »

This game could really use a "mineral overview" or something - I just realized that I have silver in my domain - of high quality, too! - and have for weeks, but I never built a road out to it because I didn't even know it was there.

If anyone wants to play "where's the slightly different patch of ground", the core of my domain is at 04245W:18614N.

The silver is here:

Lichis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: February 19, 2017, 01:57:31 pm »

Hello, long time lurker first time poster here, so I got into the game around here on the very north:

I think I got a not so good spot for my first domain...

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Currently I'm building as many huts as I can, trying to get enough basalt for a school and I'm trying to get to the copper deposit northwest of my domain but that will take around 4 expansions more (or so I hope, I dunno if I can keep expanding to there or if I need to make my domain "round").

Also I was thinking on maybe ditching everything and starting again when the new continent arrives (maybe I will end doing this since I'm regretting some decisions such as getting a farmer and a rice farmer lol).

@AlStar: Try playing "where's the slightly different patch of ground" with snow all around you!!!! or for a higher difficulty also try to find them on forested tiles!!!!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: February 19, 2017, 04:37:12 pm »

Wow, you did not leave much room for housing. You get a build speed bonus within 8 arpents of your town square, so it's generally a good idea to reserve that much space for housing. If you do decide to restart, take a look at some of the more established domains for a general idea of how much space you should expect to need.

Your domain has a ton of spruce, which is valued at less than 10 monies in your area currently, so not really worth harvesting for profit. I suggest felling trees as needed to provide lumber for your huts, starting with those closest to your square, but not bothering with more than one lumberjack.
Expand southeast when you can, and start harvesting that Larch. Larch is much more valuable than Spruce, so sell it all. You also have a cluster of Birch to the southwest, which is even more valuable.

You've got a lot of Basalt, which is not particularly valuable, but it's your best bet for steady income early on. It's worth less per unit than the spruce, but you'll produce more of it per job, and your quarriers will work more consistently than lumberjacks. Build roads around the mountains and drop a Basalt Quarry every fourth arpent, and train quarrymen as suitable settlers become available. Work your roads up towards the northwest, where you have some Sandstone, which is twice as valuable as the Basalt.

Overall, I'm not seeing any metal or gems near you, your water quality is not particularly good for fishing, most of your trees are not very valuable, not much land for farming(when the seasons permit), no shrublands for hunting, no meadows for herding, no particularly valuable stone. The only possibly redeeming feature of your area is that you could build walls along the river and mountains and have a well fortified little castle that would be marginally more difficult to breach compared to one built on open plains. But in this game, powerful allies are significantly more daunting than any walls. And without valuable resources there is little incentive for anyone to attack you anyway. You would probably be best advised to relocate.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: February 19, 2017, 08:09:46 pm »

Wow, you did not leave much room for housing. You get a build speed bonus within 8 arpents of your town square, so it's generally a good idea to reserve that much space for housing. If you do decide to restart, take a look at some of the more established domains for a general idea of how much space you should expect to need.

Your domain has a ton of spruce, which is valued at less than 10 monies in your area currently, so not really worth harvesting for profit. I suggest felling trees as needed to provide lumber for your huts, starting with those closest to your square, but not bothering with more than one lumberjack.
Expand southeast when you can, and start harvesting that Larch. Larch is much more valuable than Spruce, so sell it all. You also have a cluster of Birch to the southwest, which is even more valuable.

You've got a lot of Basalt, which is not particularly valuable, but it's your best bet for steady income early on. It's worth less per unit than the spruce, but you'll produce more of it per job, and your quarriers will work more consistently than lumberjacks. Build roads around the mountains and drop a Basalt Quarry every fourth arpent, and train quarrymen as suitable settlers become available. Work your roads up towards the northwest, where you have some Sandstone, which is twice as valuable as the Basalt.

Overall, I'm not seeing any metal or gems near you, your water quality is not particularly good for fishing, most of your trees are not very valuable, not much land for farming(when the seasons permit), no shrublands for hunting, no meadows for herding, no particularly valuable stone. The only possibly redeeming feature of your area is that you could build walls along the river and mountains and have a well fortified little castle that would be marginally more difficult to breach compared to one built on open plains. But in this game, powerful allies are significantly more daunting than any walls. And without valuable resources there is little incentive for anyone to attack you anyway. You would probably be best advised to relocate.

On the other hand, the quality of the resources in your domain doesn't really matter much.  You tend to think that it's important to have iron or gold or good trees when you first start out, but after playing a while you realize it's not important.

All metals are overproduced and easily available on the market.  It is not even necessary to have any trees at all.  Take a look at Taigulvas.  I'm tiny, completely surrounded by Edelstadt, and can't expand.  I also have iron deposits that I haven't even bothered to mine.  Yet I will still be Emperor, one day.

If, later on, you find that you need some resource that you don't have -- say, straw-- you can always create another domain and produce it there, as some people here are doing.

You are kind of cramped, but that's only a problem if you're trying to make some fancy sprawling metropolis, which I think you're not, since you would have picked a more wide open area.

So, personally, I think it's a fine location for a domain.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:11:26 pm by Zazmio »

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: February 20, 2017, 03:52:27 am »

I mostly agree with Zaz, but quality of some resources matters a lot. If you're going to make lots of money from, say, hunting or fishing, you better have good tiles to do it from. Otherwise it's impossible to stay on top of the meat/fish heap.

One thing that's easy to identify when picking a domain is what kind of stone you have. Granite will make you rich and your life easy. I find sandstone to be super helpful for building houses (fast, good quality). Limestone and basalt seem meh. Can't speak to marble.

At least in the south, the difference between not having meadows, shrublands, and nut trees versus having them makes a night and day difference to your bottom line.

I guess it's true that quality of trees don't generally matter (except for hunting), mainly because automated woodcutters are so bad that they don't exploit good trees efficiently.

Also resources like silver, gold, and precious gems are nowhere near as valuable as one might think, and so therefore having them or not having them doesn't matter much.

Having room to expand and who your neighbors are is what matters most.

I do think in the south that there are certain locations that are just super good. Maybe not relevant at the moment as most of those elite locations are probably taken, but I've heard the new continent is going to be warm.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 04:01:10 am by Datgum »

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: February 20, 2017, 04:26:02 am »

I have a feeling the new continent will be roughly the same size as Tetra but to it's east or west.  It may lie further south, so Tetra lays claim over the true tundra lands.

I'm waiting to see.

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: February 20, 2017, 05:06:59 am »

So I'm starting to get my domain together, now that it has a school, some workshops, and a few quirks, but it has me wondering: When do these heirs I hear about start coming in? I've inferred that I'll eventually have 3 characters with which to manage 3 domains, but that is all I know on the subject. Am I overlooking something here?

Oh, and speaking of the 'different patch of ground' game, clicking randomly the other day I found out I have emerald deposits under a forest near me. Yay for that?
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: February 20, 2017, 05:18:08 am »

Any suggestions on how to proceed?
Don't bother with copper early on. Felling trees is not necessary either.
I'd suggest one (two once you hit ~20 settlers, three when you reach ~30) woodcutter, 2 quarrymen asap, carpenters, roofers and bricklayers: 3 - of each (later add more bricklayers). Sandpit and 1 digger. Also make sure to expand west to grab that clay spot. Train another digger and at least two brickmakers. Start making tiles and bricks (tiles more importantly). This will make you more or less self-sufficient and grow fast.
Expansion-wise: first priority - clay, second priority - larch trees.

Once you've hit 25-30 peasants you can start building industries - consider leatherworking, all sorts of smithing (you don't need to have iron mines, iron is cheap), food growing and processing (but wait until it's warm enough), wagonmaking, or really anything you think is cool and you can sustain. Also make more brickmakers - bricks and tiles always sell well. So well that you actually can get really rich just off that industry alone. I'd pick a good clay spot over iron any day of the weak.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:57:45 am by wereboar »

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: February 20, 2017, 08:19:54 am »

So I'm starting to get my domain together, now that it has a school, some workshops, and a few quirks, but it has me wondering: When do these heirs I hear about start coming in? I've inferred that I'll eventually have 3 characters with which to manage 3 domains, but that is all I know on the subject. Am I overlooking something here?

Click on your portrait in the upper right corner, select your characters name and then when you're on his profile click on the blazon of your family.
There you'll have the option to spawn a new heir. It'll also show you when you will be able to found a new domain.

If you don't like the way he/she looks just wait a while. You'll get a new choice every day.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: February 20, 2017, 06:01:59 pm »

One of Tepesia's other vassals is trying to vassalize me now. Their jarl as he calls himself controls a pretty significant county closer to me than the previous guy who messaged me, though it doesn't yet look like it's a colluded effort to recruit me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: February 20, 2017, 08:42:52 pm »

Can't wait for the new continent so I can send my other character over there and start something on a fresh slate.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Lichis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: February 20, 2017, 08:52:05 pm »

Thanks everybody for your input.

I didn't know about the bonus on construction time on the 8 arpents closest to my square or I would have gotten a better placement.

So the consensus is that yeah my domain is kinda mehhh but I could make it work, just to let you know I do have some 2.5 stars shrubland on my western domain but they are not visible thanks to the almost excellent trees growing on them and some 4.5 stars meadows one expansion away to the east :P.

So I guess my next steps are going to be to expand one more time northwest to get to the 4.5 stars clayed soil and the sandstone, also one of you guys asked me to become your vassal so I'll accept and see how it goes from there until the new continent rises from the seas.

Thanks again everybody.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: February 21, 2017, 12:03:10 am »

It's also not just a bonus in construction time but a bonus in time actions take based on weight of materiel.

And not really a bonus either but a malus that is minimum at those ranges.  So also leave your heavy materiel jobs, smelter for instance, closer to your square.

MedicInDisquise

• Bay Watcher
  • Disappointment Incarnate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: February 21, 2017, 03:27:20 am »

Settled in Zaldor yesterday, the northern shore of the island. I'm Castilo of Castii if any of you want meet up.
GENERATION 12: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 161