Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189519 times)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1650 on: February 01, 2017, 10:13:00 am »

Okay, this looks neat and I'm finally interested enough to peek in myself. Any hints, tips, or advice for getting in and starting off? Honestly what's drawing me to it more than anything is, if the thread is any indication, the active Bay12 community, so I honestly haven't done much research into this yet.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: February 01, 2017, 10:26:48 am »

00524W:30365N

How about around here?

Not to far off from where I am.

I may not settle exactly there, but very close by
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: February 01, 2017, 10:31:34 am »

If you want to hang out with other bay12ers I think Edelstadt is the place.

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: February 01, 2017, 11:32:46 am »

I'm using the career advisor from the excel sheet by Biowraith.

However, I think there could be an error. I see Fishermen are Co only - in the manual, whereas it uses Ag and Wi in the sheet.
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: February 01, 2017, 12:06:01 pm »

Okay, this looks neat and I'm finally interested enough to peek in myself. Any hints, tips, or advice for getting in and starting off? Honestly what's drawing me to it more than anything is, if the thread is any indication, the active Bay12 community, so I honestly haven't done much research into this yet.
When you first start out, the game will drop your lord randomly on the map. You don't need to start there. Go into map mode and zoom out. Ideally you want to be zoomed out enough that you can still see the crests of other domains while browsing for a good place to start up your domain.

As for what makes a good place to settle - having a good-sized forest certainly helps, as does having a mountain and/or rocky outcroppings - these will all give you building materials so you don't need to buy them off the market (and, if you're strapped for cash, give you something to sell.) If you can also find some kind of metal, that's a bonus, as refining the ore will provide a good source of cash - almost certainly selling to the NPC buyers, unless it's crazy-high quality. If you can get on or near the coast (note - you probably can't, it's crowded) that's great for future-proofing, as it allows you to build a lighthouse and trade ships.

Up north tends to be emptier, while south is more crowded. It's winter (and will be for real-life months), so don't plan on growing anything if you start up north.

When you first start up your domain, you'll be able to fast forward the building of a bunch of housing - I would suggest going 4 huts -> N/S or E/W road out from all sides of your town square, and keep going till it stops allowing you to fast build.

Depending on how far north you are, consider building a vegetable garden - as long as it's above -1 or so, you can grow leeks and some cabbages, which don't sell for much, but require only time and water (which is cheap.)

If you've got trees (which you should, if you followed my advice), send a settler or two with high ST and CO into the woods, hand them 10 axes, and tell them to get chopping - woodcutters are able to harvest much higher quality lumber then settlers. Also! Use the harvest command, not the chop down command. One depletes the forest for 7 days, the other removes it entirely.

Definitely make getting a school your #1 priority. After that, you'll want to train carpenters, roofers, and bricklayers at a roughly 1:1:1 ratio.

wereboar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: February 01, 2017, 12:08:34 pm »

However, I think there could be an error. I see Fishermen are Co only - in the manual, whereas it uses Ag and Wi in the sheet.
The sheet takes into consideration all skills profession grants. IIRC, Ag and Wi are used for crafting nets.
Basically, you'll have to figure out for yourself what skills and stats to pay attention to. Like I have a very high Int and Wis architect but the sheet lists him as quite average because of very low Con. But architects use Con for surveying, so if I leave surveying to surveyors, this architect is pretty good at his main job.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: February 01, 2017, 12:20:17 pm »

^^

Yeah, I basically took the stats used by the skills each profession got bonuses to and weighted them by how much of a bonus each skill got under that profession (so for Fishermen, I weighted the stats for Fishing 5 times more than the stats for Braiding), and then further tweaked those weightings based on whether I thought I'd actually use those skills with that profession (in the case of Fishermen, I then halved the weighting on Braiding cos I figured I'd get a Basketmaker or Ropemaker to make any nets etc).  All bearing in mind I had only been playing a few days when I made it - if I could be bothered I'd revisit it and review all the weightings based on what I know of the game now.

Also note that the in-game help pages for the professions list the stats you need to train the profession, but not necessarily the stats they'll use when they actually do their jobs.  That's true of Fishermen who as you've seen require Co to train, but the Fishing skill itself only uses Ag/Wi and their secondary Braiding skill is just Ag - they don't actually use Co when doing their jobs (at least, no more than anyone else does - I gather it has an impact on how tired all units get or how fast they recover from being tired or something).
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 12:24:19 pm by Biowraith »

Radsoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: February 01, 2017, 01:53:08 pm »

Thanks for the clarification. Makes the game even more complex than I thought, which is good. But, how to know what skills are used in practice?
"The hand-mill gives you society with the feudal lord; the steam-mill society with the industrial capitalist."

"To punish the oppressors of humanity is clemency; to forgive them is cruelty. The severity of tyrants has barbarity for its principle; that of a republican government is founded on beneficence."

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: February 01, 2017, 01:58:20 pm »

For anyone interested Tor Flunk has a Domain to hand to anyone interested.  Nothing fantastic but it is covered in lead.  Also still have space for people to settle in an area with meadows, river, and plenty of trees.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes the game even more complex than I thought, which is good. But, how to know what skills are used in practice?
Check the skill it's self in the help.  Lists what stat gives it bonuses.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:52 pm »

We have a concentration of B12ers + Friends in the far north.

https://www.landsoflords.com/map/01749W29738N  Around this area, a number of us to the direct west and a few to the east.

And yea, a number of us do have extra developed to semi-developed domains to hand off for those not too interested in starting from the ground up.  (You'll want to use your newbie bonus somewhere first.)
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: February 01, 2017, 02:23:58 pm »

But, how to know what skills are used in practice?

There's some subtleties that are mostly just learned through experience, and to some extent personal preference (e.g. wereboar's Architects vs Surveyors - some people use Architects for both roles and don't bother with Surveyors while others train up both and have them stick to their specialities). 

Mostly though, just trawl the help pages for the items and buildings to see which skills are used in their production/construction and to what extent (the multiplier next to each one indicates how much each contributes to the final product quality, for the most part).  Also check the help pages for the skills themselves to see which professions get bonuses to that skill - that's where you'd see that e.g. while Fishermen get a bonus to Braiding, you're more likely to use Basketmakers for that task in practice since they get a much bigger bonus.  It can also be worth checking the Automatic Actions on each profession's help page for an idea of what you'll have them doing (though there's some cases where that'd not be optimal if you're chasing quality over convenience).

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: February 01, 2017, 04:48:42 pm »

00524W:30365N

How about around here?

Not to far off from where I am.

I may not settle exactly there, but very close by

Neato. Toss me the cords when you decide?

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: February 01, 2017, 07:05:07 pm »

My account was supposed to be deleted at midnight, server time.. now I have to wait till tomorrow??? I wanted to get started building again (sigh)

i cri 2 much

it got deleted after a few minutes
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:10:47 pm by Icefire2314 »
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: February 01, 2017, 08:05:45 pm »

My account was supposed to be deleted at midnight, server time.. now I have to wait till tomorrow??? I wanted to get started building again (sigh)

i cri 2 much

it got deleted after a few minutes

Try settling near me. If you Triangulate, Bagenburg (my settlement--stay off of whats left of my peninsula you peasant!!! [but actually, there's really no space unless you feel like rubbing cheeks with Mohandar{Pravus}]), Arald, and Manetheren you'll find some great land up North.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: February 01, 2017, 08:14:00 pm »

Apparently, my carrots are some of the finest in the land. For the last few weeks I've had received bronze medals for my carrots every now and then. Today they were good enough to receive the silver medal. Although I don't produce many, they always sell well and have become a reliable sell for me as I've almost always got superior product than the rest of the market. My other vegetables are not as good and I struggle to sell the others for a decent price quickly, despite their higher production.

Feels nice to be producing fine quality goods, even if its just produce :)
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 161