Zaldor
- 16 (14.8%)
Error
- 14 (13%)
Other
- 8 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 107

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 161

Author Topic: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno  (Read 189759 times)

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
Re: Land of Lords: Crusader Kings crossed with Anno
« Reply #1395 on: January 13, 2017, 08:34:57 am »

Seriously, you piss off one minor Frenchie who happens to write some good prose in the RP section...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goddamn. Your ass got crusaded.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: January 13, 2017, 10:59:44 am »

Have they offered terms? I see they were occupying the square. Can you make it out alive?

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 13, 2017, 04:59:53 pm »

I decided my meager domain has finally expanded enough that it is deserving of some small measure of protection, so I built a barracks which finished this morning. I purchased 3 sets of Halberdier weapons and armor, and started training my strongest settler. Fortunately I got 3 new immigrants today, along with the 3 settlers I had standing by, so I had some options to choose from.

I also just finished my first three-kiln tilery. After 3 days of hard labor, my exhausted carpenter and roofer are each now listed as 'Dying'. Hopefully they're just exaggerating and will recover after some time resting in my finest house. Meanwhile, my well-rested brickmakers are happy to return to work.

As my expanding village encroaches upon the forest, I've ordered my woodcutters to begin felling some of the less valuable pine trees. This will both make room for more homes, as well as provide materials to build them. Fortunately my more valuable oak and willow trees are located further from my town square, so I should not need to fell them any time soon.

I was delighted to find a deposit of medium quality silver in my first outpost, hidden amongst some trees. I settled the village simply for the exceptional granite and high quality fishing waters, but now that I know it has silver it has become significantly more valuable to me.

Within a few hours I'll be able to claim my third domain. My second heir has had his eyes on a spot to my southeast with vast iron deposits nestled between thick oak and maple forests. It should prove quite bountiful.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 13, 2017, 05:28:21 pm »

Question on building quality.

I'll give a simple example, I'm trying to build a Rudimentary Tilery:
Digging x10
Masonry x10 : Masonry materials

I'm using high quality (82%) Granite, which has the most Masonry bonus, +25.

I'm trying different combinations with my three workers: a Digger, a Bricklayer and a Stonemason. They all have high quality tools equipped (80%+). Stonemason doesn't seem to have an effect (positive nor negative) on the quality, just the building time. They are all fully rested.

Digger and Bricklayer together give the best quality - but that quality is only 55%. What gives, why so low, are my workers just missing levels (they're level 3)?
It might just be harder to make awesome tier 1 buildings, at least that is the feeling I had.  My own tier 1 tilerys come out to 53% and I mostly used +65% quality materials with limestone.
You can raise the quality of the building by upgrading these sorts of buildings.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: January 13, 2017, 05:46:54 pm »

After 3 days of hard labor, my exhausted carpenter and roofer are each now listed as 'Dying'. Hopefully they're just exaggerating and will recover after some time resting in my finest house.

Sort of exaggerating. They've been reduced to 0% health, meaning that getting attacked by something will kill them, but they'll be fine otherwise.

Seriously, you piss off one minor Frenchie who happens to write some good prose in the RP section...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goddamn. Your ass got crusaded.

Is the proper response a jihad?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: January 13, 2017, 07:38:58 pm »

Ok so let me do some calculations with my guys/materials:
Granite 82% = +41 Masonry
Bricklayer = +20 Masonry
Digger = +31 Digging

So for Rudimentary tilery:
Digging x10 = 31
Masonry x10 = 61

Expected action/building quality
(61+31)/2 = +46 action bonus; going by the action calculation chart from the help (+40 = 63%, +50 = 71%), the building quality should be around 67-68%

Actual building quality
56%

Did you take the terrain into account? Geology is a factor in the Digging skill. A high quality silt foundation vs a low quality granite foundation can be a massive difference.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: January 13, 2017, 07:58:58 pm »

I'm up to the Grand Cross of the Order of Civilian Victims - woo... I suppose. At least I got some licks in - after making themselves tired by killing a bunch of my workers, 4 soldiers from Delasagne were chilling in a brothel... which is when four of my soldiers kicked in the door and slaughtered them.

It's a small thing, what with my town square still filled with occupying knights, but it feels good to get some revenge on the person who caused most of this (I'll admit that my own actions may have, indirectly, led to some of this.)

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: January 13, 2017, 08:33:00 pm »

It's not surprising that someone would retaliate in a big way for killing one of their characters just so you could expand.  For many players, the roleplaying aspect of this game is important, and the killing of beloved characters for trivial reasons is not likely to go unpunished.

This is amusing to read about, though.  Please keep us updated. :)

P.S.; I would say that your actions have directly led to this.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: January 13, 2017, 10:52:21 pm »

It's not surprising that someone would retaliate in a big way for killing one of their characters just so you could expand.  For many players, the roleplaying aspect of this game is important, and the killing of beloved characters for trivial reasons is not likely to go unpunished.

This is amusing to read about, though.  Please keep us updated. :)

P.S.; I would say that your actions have directly led to this.
See, I was actually having some good, clean fun in my war against Delasagne when it was just him against me - both our realms are (or were, at any rate) pretty much of equal power. No, it was when they wrote that RP piece that apparently convinced the entire French-speaking community that I was the antichrist when things got bad.

That said, as long as my lord remains safe in his (now 3-story, because what else did my roofers hiding out have to do) castle, I plan on seeing if I can weather the storm.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: January 13, 2017, 11:19:30 pm »

I think you should consider the possibility that you are the antichrist.  8)

This game is a roleplaying game at its heart, and I get the impression that the French players in particular take their characters and the RP seriously.  Now, what I think happened, is you saw the character as merely a free and easily replaced asset, and it didn't occur to you that it might be a big deal to get rid of it to expand.

The funny thing is, my friend, you still don't seem to have grasped this, and seem to be in denial.

Look at it from the French players' view:  They had this cozy little RP heaven, then suddenly a lot of brutish English speaking players show up and start fucking everything up, casually killing their characters and shit.  Of course they want to make an example of you.

Anyway, please please post screenshots when their army of siege engines shows up and levels your castle. :)

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 14, 2017, 12:23:32 am »

The funny thing is, my friend, you still don't seem to have grasped this, and seem to be in denial.
Oh, I totally get that the Frenchies are apparently just one step removed from LARP'ers, and all that entails. I still think that the response of the French community was totally out of proportion to what I did.

My opponent wasn't part of some big alliance. They weren't anyone, really. Literally the only important thing that they've done, as far as I can tell, is write one, admittedly very impressive, French RP piece.

But apparently that was enough to have dozens of knights sent from everywhere to my territories, slaughtering every troop, worker, and even peasant that they could find. Seriously, I'm pretty darn sure that killing one lord (and, admittedly, like 1 or 2 workers who happened to be in the same square) so I could expand should not make me deserving of being #10 in the rankings for civilian deaths. But here we are.

I'll freely admit that I'm not the most diplomatic of people (ask my Dominions opponents), but it usually doesn't bring a significant percentage of the world down on my head for what is (in my opinion, admittedly) a minor offense.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 14, 2017, 12:35:17 am »

Vague question but what should I build next? What should I have taxes/wages set to?

Datgum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 14, 2017, 12:48:34 am »

Oh, I totally get that the Frenchies are apparently just one step removed from LARP'ers, and all that entails. I still think that the response of the French community was totally out of proportion to what I did.

I said in Discord yesterday that I didn't think the punishment matched the crime either. One factor is that the world is at peace and a lot of people built up some really good troops that they have nothing to do with it. Another factor could be that the French population - who all seem to have relatively good diplomatic relations with one another - might be making example of you. Yet another factor is opportunism. I don't think the guy occupying you (so he can make you a vassal?) is even French.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 14, 2017, 12:58:04 am »

Vague question but what should I build next? What should I have taxes/wages set to?
Do you have a school yet?  How about a forge and toolmaker so you don't have to buy expensive tools from the market?  Do you have a low blast furnace to smelt gold ore, selling the gold for profit?

When you're first starting, wages should be set to minimum, since you don't yet have enough money to make your serfs happy.  Taxes really doesn't matter, since your peasants shouldn't have much money.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: January 14, 2017, 01:06:36 am »

I said in Discord yesterday that I didn't think the punishment matched the crime either. One factor is that the world is at peace and a lot of people built up some really good troops that they have nothing to do with it. Another factor could be that the French population - who all seem to have relatively good diplomatic relations with one another - might be making example of you. Yet another factor is opportunism. I don't think the guy occupying you (so he can make you a vassal?) is even French.
Yep, I think you're on to something there.  Lots of troops sitting around, not much to do with them.

A week or so ago, someone starting occupying a Bay12 member's market square.  Bay12's response?  Let's slaughter every peasant in one of his large domains!  Did the punishment match the crime?  Probably not.  Did the punishment happen anyway?  Yep.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 161