Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Furry Fortress Revival Brainstorming...  (Read 4070 times)

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Furry Fortress Revival Brainstorming...
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2017, 08:43:12 pm »

Seeing an Oceania civ without pounamu seems wrong somehow, especially if you're giving the mesoamericans jadeite.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2017, 11:36:30 pm »

Seeing an Oceania civ without pounamu seems wrong somehow, especially if you're giving the mesoamericans jadeite.

What I might actually do is introduce jade-like rock to the world that anyone can use, since I still have the raws for that somewhere from when I almost made stone-age dwarf fortress, and I feel like there should be stones like marble that are more valuable. 

I suppose Mesoamerica could have a metal based on obsidian or gold instead, but I do like the idea of making weapons out of teeth.  And keep in mind they would be wallaby-people, so it wouldn't make perfect sense to make them too Maori-like. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:42:23 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2017, 07:33:06 am »

Update on these ideas:

I guess the only Irish thing I would have with Gaelic civ is the shillelagh, and this is accomplished with the brogit staff, so that civ can just be Scottish. 

Looking more closely at native Australian weapons, I probably could do a wallaby civ without combining in Polynesian or Maori to get a full arsenal.  I want to share some pics of what I found:

Obviously, the flying boomerang as their ranged weapon:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The "number 7 boomerang" or "leangle club" melee weapon:

Barbed spears:

The waddy mace:

And the impressive "sword club" which is absolutely my new favorite thing:

There is also the distinctive parrying shield:
Unfortunately, to my knowledge, DF does not have a way to achieve weapons that are good at parrying or shields that are good at bashing, but I might include this as punching weapon, like a katar.  "Rule of Cool" 

The cool thing is that a lot of these are basically edged weapons, so assuming they have access to metal in Furry Fortress, a lot of these boomerang things are basically sword and axe equivalents. 

This means there cultural metal would probably be some sort of hardened wood. 

The Maori definitely have enough distinctive native arms that they could stand alone with combining with Polynesia.  Their civ animal would obviously be a kiwi, kea or kakapo.  Although, I do have a soft spot for NZ's 100 year old, poison blooded, man eating eels.  And the weta.  As Nahere said, some reference to pounamu (which I know as "greenstone") would be a must. 

Polynesia certainly has enough weapon shapes to stand alone, but naming them might get tricky.  Their civ animal would probably some generic sea creature, first on my mind is a sea horse.  (and I know you're thinking it, Leafy Sea Dragons are Australians, and wallabies got dibs)  Again, some sort of wood+teeth material. 

As for more weapons-grade stone, some article suggested that the Aztec macuahuitl could be considered analogous to modern ceramic knives, and I saw that modern ceramic knives are typically made of Zicronia, ZrO2.  I am unclear on how this material is synthesized, but it apparently occurs in nature as the mineral Baddeleyite, so I don't feel bad about making it a naturally occurring type of weapons grade stone, like obsidian is.  Other weapons grade stone could be the aforementioned jadeite/greenstone/pounamu (which I think are all chemically the same thing).  Baked silcrete was used to make stone tools, I'm not sure I would force players to bake it though, since this mean an extra step to get a material that is still inferior to obsidian, jadeite or, oh yeah, metal, and I'm assuming it works at kitchen temps rather than smelting temps anyways, which the game already eschews.  Chert can also yield flint formations.  I've also seen stone tools made of quartzite, basalt and rhyolite, but this is probably not worth bothering with. 

Still trying to think about ways to handle Neutronium too.  So, assuming that native Neutronium is useless (a 10-ton marble), you need to reduce its density by combining it with something.  A fun thought I had was that maybe Neutronium is held "in stasis" by tetravalent element, mainly carbon, possibly silicon.  In this case, you could render different forms of useful neutron by combining it with different forms of carbon, Nu + charcoal = Neutronium Carbide, Nu + diamond = Neutron Diamond, Nu + graphite = Neutron Paper (heavy graphene).  Neutronium Carbide could be alloyed with iron to produce Neutron Steel.  If silica works as a tetravalent compound (and since I'm already bending science over the table, why not?), you could make Neutron Sand and therefore Neutron Glass.  (except that I don't actually know how to add types of glass)
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:55 am »

Gaelic - Some combined Scottish-Irish culture. [...] Would be cool to make their animal something that would be competitive or antagonistic towards the English rabbits.  On the other hand, could be the seal, in reference to the legend of selkie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_pine_marten (more of a squirrel-killer, and the yankee Grey rather than British red, but certainly capable of lapicide)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_wildcat (Scottish sub-population, of course...  Envisaging the stripy fur as tartanesque?)
There's various birds of prey (Red Kite, Golden Eagle, Osprey1...) that can be located (if not exclusively so) in the highlands, pick and choose your size, choice of predation target, etc.
Non-predators include (the aforementioned) Red Squirrel, Red Deer, the (red!) Highland Cattle (and their Belted Galloway upland-but-Lowland cousins), and birds such as ptarmigan, capercaille, various sea birds that are at least not uncommon (arctic skua?), to go with the common and grey seals (the grey seal being more common, the common seal being more grey!) in your Kelpie idea2, or otters, or maybe some of the dolphin might suit your purpose. If not the harbour porpoise!
They're also looking at the reintroduction of wolves to Scotland, so the possibility of slightly dodgy accents/cultural appropriation whilst fulfilling the Scottish role anyway..,
(For a twist, consider American Mink, that come over, proclaim a Scottish Heritage, take up the cultural trappings, perhaps buying a lairdship, and end up suppressing the more staid locals...)

And ignores the possibility of going for the two most Scottish creatures there are, the Nessie and the Haggis!  (Sorry for thebsassenach sources!)

Ok, that's far too many suggestions, and ignores the rest of the celtic sphere (Ireland, as you mentioned, but Welsh/Mannish/Cornish/Brittany may deserve a look in. Or even Pattagonian, if you're going far enough!), but all fuel for the fire, I'm sure...  ;)

1 Confusingly being also called the Fish Eagle or Sea Hawk, whilst being different from the Sea Eagle or other "Fish Eagles"...

2 More often considered horse-like, take note.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2017, 11:09:39 am »

Thanks, a lot of good suggestions. 

A wildcat or lynx had crossed my mind, but if I did Mesoamerica, they would be a good candidate for ocelot, and I wouldn't want both ocelot and lynx.  (Although there are plenty of other fun mesoamerican critters, like armadillo and tamandua) 

I like the marten/mink idea.  As you say, a great anti-rabbit.  If I did marten/minks, they would probably steal the mustelid slot from badgers. 

Since mongolians would definitely be Eagles, I don't want another bird of prey.  If I went with a bird for scotland, I would probably pick puffins, though I do have a weird soft spot for gannets.  I have been thinking I'd like a swan race, but I don't see them as a good match for Scotland, right now, Poland might get them. (Although swans seem dainty, they are one of the few birds that can straight up kill people.  Swans are known to ram small boats and push the humans underwater until they drown.  A dwarfy way to die for sure.  ) 

Following the theme, wolves are edged out as canids by foxes. 

Actually, I like the suggestion of Patagonia.  There are a lot of places in the world like that with unique wildlife, but no medieval culture to combine them with (much the same idea of putting Raccoons with Germany).  However, from Patagonia, it would probably be some type of armadillo, and I have plenty of excuses to put armadillos elsewhere, such as with Mesoamerica or the Burrower civ.  In the same vein though, a Canadian or Nova Scotian animal might be interesting, though there's not a lot of difference between there and Scotland, unless I picked something like the beaver, loon or Canada Goose, which I'd have to name very carefully. 

Seals are probably still in the lead, mainly because that's an easy name, Sealkie.  Caveats to seals is that their only animal ability is swimming, which is moot because DF won't path through water in Fortress Mode.  A "protective" layer of blubber would be interesting, but I have no idea how to represent that in DF.  Or, Selkie or Kelpie could be the monster version for the Scottish civ.  (I think selkie is the seal people, kelpie is the water-horse)  I could also make Kelpie a water-based tame-able dragonoid. 

Side note, I could probably separate a Ninja civ from the main Japanese Samurai civ.  Ninja would get stuff like nunchucks, sai, kusarigama, while Samurai would get katana, yari, kanabo and so forth.  Ninja civ would get some generic sneaky animal, possibly a cat, or preying mantis, or might steal raccoon from the Germans.  I'd love to hear ideas on that.  (but not turtles, come on)  (although Kappas can be the Ninja's monster version)  (EDIT:  I'll also throw the idea of Pangolins in there, they could probably work as ninjas, samurai or germans)  ("Panzerlins"?  "Pangzerlins"?  "Pangolandsknecht"?) 

=============

In other news, Vulps are ready for release, Komodos and Lagomers are maybe half-way ready for release, I found some mistakes I need to fix and I still need to make their cultural metals.  Once they are ready to go, I will release the 3 of them for testing.  Expect it during March, for sure. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 12:31:37 pm by AceSV »

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2017, 01:09:06 pm »

Filled with ideas today, apparently. 

I was wondering what sort of civs a Moloch could be.  I was thinking something like a devil or demon themed civ, but after pitchforks and oni-clubs, I'm out of ideas. 

I thought I'd look up Thai and Indonesian weapons, for making a Siam/Indonesia/etc area civ, since I wasn't sure I'd have enough.  They do, but there would be a lot of unfamiliar words thrown around, like krabi, tombak, dah, etc.  Thailand/Siam/Vietnam would be pretty similar to chinese or japanese weapons, with a good balance of weapon types.  Indonesia/Malaysia has more distinctive weapon shapes, like the khris, karambit and kujang, but they seem like mostly machete-type things.  And I have a thai language file from the old Simiates civ.  I suppose I could have both a Thai/Siam civ and an Indonesia civ... 

(One of them would definitely be Pangolins)  (The other could be Binturong)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 09:24:11 pm by AceSV »

Nahere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2017, 04:57:20 pm »

On the subject of jade, as I understand it, nephrite is the mineral known as greenstone or pounamu in New Zealand, and was also Chinese jade, whereas jadeite was used by the Mayan people, and has been found in the British Isles and Japan.

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2017, 09:07:32 pm »

Alright, anyone know how to brew blood into booze?  (in DF)  I often have problems with the carnivores dying of thirst, so I want them to be able to drink blood. 

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2017, 01:35:58 pm »

Whelp, I tried to build a new test world and DF just crashes.  I have no idea why. 

Please help. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5_Jm8L6GFwcZEk0bjl4OF9PZFk?usp=sharing
Pages: 1 2 [3]