Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lazy/Stupid Dwarves won't haul?  (Read 5040 times)

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lazy/Stupid Dwarves won't haul?
« on: December 06, 2016, 09:38:24 pm »

So...I created a new world, found a good (safe) embark site, and was planning to build an above-ground castle for my dwarves.  So, I set up a custom stockpile w/ everything enabled but refuse/corpses, set up some workshops, garbage dump, built more wheelbarrows, etc...all above ground.  I ordered trees to be cut and channels to be dug.

Even though I have hauling enabled for all dwarves, a valid and accessible stockpile, and no items forbidden, only ONE of my dwarves (a miner) is hauling anything to the stockpile.  The rest of the dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message on the units screen (except for my woodcutter and other miner, who will cut trees/channel, but also refuse to haul).

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  Why aren't they hauling wood and starting supplies to the stockpile?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy/Stupid Dwarves won't haul?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 11:46:00 pm »

Did you order the supplies dumped? "Garbage dumping" falls under refuse handling, meaning it requires the "refuse hauling" labor, and is constrained by the default "standing order" to ignore refuse that is "outside".

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:52:27 am »

Does the stockpile have 1 wheelbarrow set? That limits the number of dwarves who will haul to it to 1.

C-X

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 03:56:53 am »

You should split the stockpiles. Create one stockpile for stone with wheelbarrows set to 3 and one for the rest with wheelbarrows set to 0.

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 08:04:41 pm »

Did you order the supplies dumped?
No, I did not order the items dumped (although I did try dumping them after the dwarves refused to haul the items...they refused to dump them too).

Does the stockpile have 1 wheelbarrow set? That limits the number of dwarves who will haul to it to 1.
I had built more wheelbarrows, but didn't think it seriously affected whether or not dwarves would haul items to it (in my past experience, they always just hauled by hand, using wheelbarrows only for convenience).  As far as I know, it was set to one wheelbarrow, but I didn't think that would prevent dwarves from hauling (only slow them down if they don't have a wheelbarrow).

You should split the stockpiles. Create one stockpile for stone with wheelbarrows set to 3 and one for the rest with wheelbarrows set to 0.
While I appreciate the suggestion, I don't have any stone to haul (everything is above-ground, with an aquifer 2 z-levels down), and if wheelbarrows are the problem, wouldn't setting the other stockpile to 0 stop hauling altogether?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:40:56 pm by Strato1 »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:31:43 pm »

Set it to 0 and all your dwarves will try to haul the stones.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:21 pm »

Since you ordered some items Dumped, use 'd' 'b' 'c' to reclaim and 'd' 'b' 'D' to unDump, over all the stuff. Just in case some things are now forbidden.

The wheelbarrow setting will restrict the number of jobs spawned by the stockpile. Setting 'w' to 0 to tell it to allow many jobs to be created.

If you changed the Hauling labors on your other dwarfs, change them back.

If the 'q'uery of the stockpile shows "Max Barrel - 0" then press R to max the barrels allowed. Food in barrels will not be hauled to a 'no barrel' stockpile.

The only other things that could be stopping the other dwarfs is that they are unable to find a path to the items.

Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 08:19:21 am »

The only other things that could be stopping the other dwarfs is that they are unable to find a path to the items.

This being Dwarf Fortress, there are at least a dozen other possible explanations (e.g. burrows, standing orders, scary wildlife, buggy higher-priority jobs, from-links-only stockpile, incompatible stockpile settings, attempting to "enlarge" the stockpile, military orders, hidden items filling the stockpile, excessive distance to stockpile, already-encumbered dwarves, dwarves incapacitated by a syndrome, etc.).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 09:52:51 pm »

This being Dwarf Fortress, there are at least a dozen other possible explanations (e.g. burrows, standing orders, scary wildlife, buggy higher-priority jobs, from-links-only stockpile, incompatible stockpile settings, attempting to "enlarge" the stockpile, military orders, hidden items filling the stockpile, excessive distance to stockpile, already-encumbered dwarves, dwarves incapacitated by a syndrome, etc.).
burrows -> unable to path & one guy *is* hauling
standing orders -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
scary wildlife -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
buggy higher-priority jobs -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
from-links-only stockpile -> one guy *is* hauling
incompatible stockpile settings -> one guy *is* hauling
attempting to "enlarge" the stockpile -> what?
military orders -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
hidden items filling the stockpile -> one guy *is* hauling
excessive distance to stockpile -> one guy *is* hauling
already-encumbered dwarves -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
dwarves incapacitated by a syndrome, etc. -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 10:33:01 pm »

Burrows have absolutely nothing to do with pathing, and perhaps the one guy hauling took the only item in the burrow, or claimed the only stockpile tile in the burrow

If you disable wood hauling in the standing orders menu, dwarves indeed stand around with "No Job" instead of "unable to haul wood due to standing orders"

Dwarves who cancel their job for *any* reason stand around with "No Job" until the next job assignment cycle.

buggy higher-priority jobs -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
Dwarves who cancel their job for *any* reason stand around with "No Job" until the next job assignment cycle.

Perhaps from the only linked stockpile

Perhaps the only item compatible with the settings

Drawing a second stockpile over an existing stockpile does not replace the existing stockpile; then modifying the "new" stockpile to accept "everything" only modifies the non-overlapping tiles.

You got one. Congratulations.

Perhaps to the only tile that doesn't have a hidden item.

Perhaps the only item that was close enough to the stockpile.

already-encumbered dwarves -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
Dwarves who cannot perform a task will indeed stand around with "No Job" instead of attempting to perform that task.

dwarves incapacitated by a syndrome, etc. -> dwarves just stand around with the "No Job" message
Dwarves who cannot perform a task will indeed stand around with "No Job" instead of attempting to perform that task.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 11:19:38 pm »

Burrows have absolutely nothing to do with pathing, and perhaps the one guy hauling took the only item in the burrow, or claimed the only stockpile tile in the burrow
A new embark and a need to move starting supplies the only stockpile, but he has burrows too?

If you disable wood hauling in the standing orders menu, dwarves indeed stand around with "No Job" instead of "unable to haul wood due to standing orders"
->
If you changed the Hauling labors on your other dwarfs, change them back.

And no mention of job cancellation spam?

And no mention of job cancellation spam or the question "how do I kill that wildlife?"

Perhaps from the only linked stockpile
He asked "Why aren't they hauling wood and starting supplies to the stockpile?" No mention of a second stockpile. One dwarf is hauling, so the receiving stockpile is not set to links only.

Perhaps the only item compatible with the settings
Which would have lead immediately to "none hauling" and a different forum post.

Drawing a second stockpile over an existing stockpile does not replace the existing stockpile; then modifying the "new" stockpile to accept "everything" only modifies the non-overlapping tiles.

You got one. Congratulations.

Perhaps to the only tile that doesn't have a hidden item.

Perhaps the only item that was close enough to the stockpile.

"already-encumbered dwarves" in a new embark that are not linked to a job?

Because the one dwarf that was hauling is immune to this syndrome? And no mention of blinking grey Xs on dwarfs or questioning if the game-pausing smoke cloud that engulfed the dwarfs did something?

[/quote]

Strato1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 11:39:21 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I can confirm that the problem was the number of wheelbarrows being set to 1.

However, I am still confused as to why this happened (meaning the #wheelbarrows affecting how many dwarves can haul) since it has never happened to me before, despite me not doing anything differently (in my past experience, the default settings for a newly created stockpile work fine, and all dwarves will haul with or without wheelbarrows).

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:11 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I can confirm that the problem was the number of wheelbarrows being set to 1.

However, I am still confused as to why this happened (meaning the #wheelbarrows affecting how many dwarves can haul) since it has never happened to me before, despite me not doing anything differently (in my past experience, the default settings for a newly created stockpile work fine, and all dwarves will haul with or without wheelbarrows).
If you assigned wheelbarrows to the stockpile, it is assumed you want the dwarves to move heavy items. Watch dwarfs moving stone with and without wheelbarrows. Wheelbarrows are at least 5 times faster. Most of the time you will only assign wheelbarrows to stockpiles with heavy items, but you could assign wheelbarrows to limit the number of jobs triggered by that stockpile.

If you create a stockpile without wheelbarrows and then assign wheelbarrows a couple of time units later, then you may have triggered a set of wheelbarrow-less hauling jobs as well as a job to bring wheelbarrows to the stockpile. If it was a stone stockpile you would see the wheelbarrow zooming off to pick up things while slow dwarfs with stone are still moving to the stockpile.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 12:08:32 am »

*snip*

OP clearly didn't describe all the actions taken since embark. Additionally, labors are completely separate from the "standing orders" menu, job cancellation messages can be disabled and are often ignored, and you assumed the hauling dwarf made more than one trip. While these problems are not likely, they are quite possible. I've personally investigated cases for about half of these, so they do happen, and people posting for help in the forums are notorious for omitting vital information (like OP's omission of the wheelbarrow setting for his stockpile).

The default stockpile settings depend on the type of stockpile you drew, not the settings you ultimately changed. So drawing a "stone" stockpile will enable wheelbarrows automatically, drawing a "coin" stockpile will allow bins, etc. Available wheelbarrows have limited hauling jobs since they were introduced in v0.34.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 01:12:02 am »

OP clearly didn't describe all the actions taken since embark.
He clearly listed the actions taken and he understood and clearly responded to the first responses he received.

Additionally, labors are completely separate from the "standing orders" menu, job cancellation messages can be disabled and are often ignored, and you assumed the hauling dwarf made more than one trip.
Of course I assumed the hauling dwarf made more than one trip... Do you think a clear spoken person takes the time to make a forum post without spending a minute or two looking at the problem in an attempt to understand and resolve the issue themselves? Most people enjoy Dwarf Fortress because it presents them with varied and complicated problems for them to solve, as well as the variety of options they have for solutions.

.... people posting for help in the forums are notorious for omitting vital information (like OP's omission of the wheelbarrow setting for his stockpile).
Right... this is why I posted  "
The wheelbarrow setting will restrict the number of jobs spawned by the stockpile. Setting 'w' to 0 to tell it to allow many jobs to be created."

I attempted to answer the thread, at the point the thread was at, with an belief that the OP was coherent and capable of understanding. The statements I posted were intended to give a list of things to possibly correct, and to guide him re-review each of those points. You took my response to be a misleading and non-helpful reply, for what? The loose "The only other things that could be stopping the other dwarfs is that they are unable to find a path to the items" statement?

In your statements about the complications and obstacles you have overcome in the past (and I am not being disrespectful of those efforts), you didn't mention that, most problems people have, fall into the "I didn't properly understand how that works" category. My list was posted for that scenario, with the knowledge that if he followed that checklist and still had the issue, I would not be able to provide a better response than "I don't know what the next step is besides removing and rebuilding the stockpiles. Maybe someone else can help with this."

I respect what you have posted in the past but I do not respect the responses you made here.
Pages: [1] 2