Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Steel Titan  (Read 3934 times)

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
Re: Steel Titan
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2016, 09:28:13 pm »

so, if a steel titan is nearly impossible to kill, what of an adamantine titan?

i doubt such a thing could exist, but just think of the horror
Although very tough, it would also be incredibly light. Like fighting a giant indestructible marshmallow. I doubt it'd be very menacing, more of an annoyance really.
goodnight, speep tighht, don't let the bedbugs bite

SebasMarolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2016, 10:02:17 pm »

so, if a steel titan is nearly impossible to kill, what of an adamantine titan?

i doubt such a thing could exist, but just think of the horror
Although very tough, it would also be incredibly light. Like fighting a giant indestructible marshmallow. I doubt it'd be very menacing, more of an annoyance really.

Wait, what if it has claws or fangs or tusks? Wouldn't those be made out of candy too? I once scratched a dwarf's arm off with an elephant man adventurer.
So uh, yeah you just murdered a until proven otherwise pretty neutral innocent being for no reason.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2016, 03:58:09 am »

"Sir, the goblins are attacking!"

"RELEASE THE TITAN!!"
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »

Candy titans should henceforth be known as Murdersmurfs.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 05:05:04 pm »

Wait, what if it has claws or fangs or tusks? Wouldn't those be made out of candy too? I once scratched a dwarf's arm off with an elephant man adventurer.
Yeah that would be lethal. Although I've also heard that candy creatures' limbs are easily knocked off due to how light they are, so perhaps it would only be lethal until you disassembled it into an invulnerable torso.

StarWars1981

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 06:39:20 pm »

Yeah that would be lethal. Although I've also heard that candy creatures' limbs are easily knocked off due to how light they are, so perhaps it would only be lethal until you disassembled it into an invulnerable torso.
Quick, distract the goblins! RELEASE THE TORSO! Now, while they're distracted! RELEASE THE DWARVES OF WAR! ("It's hounds of war, sir, hounds - not dwarves""Same difference, really! SEND THEM ALL TOO!").

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 02:49:55 am »

I'm using two rooms with furnitures and animals to lure the Titan.
If it goes into room A, the dorfs will pull the lever and lock it up.
When the goblins came I will release the Titan and retrieve it by opening room B later.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2016, 09:33:45 pm »

I think a slade titan would be far worse, think of the damage. It could probably one shot any dwarf who got too close.

Late at night, gathered around the bonfire, sometimes young dwarves try to scare each other by telling the tale of Ihstar Uumaalek and the thriving fortress it laid to waste.

"The forgotten beast Ishtar Uumaalek has come! A great three-eyed titan composed of slade. It has two curved horns and its eyes glow sickly green. Beware it's deadly dust!"

OAOGigmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey Domas! Let's visit the tavern with DEMONS!"
    • View Profile
    • OAOGigmaster's Twitch Channel
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2016, 01:27:05 am »

Firebreathers wouldn't affect it; steel doesn't melt to FBs and clowns that breathe fire, as their fire is only the usual 11000U degree fire, not the 50000U fire of dragons (which only dragons can breathe). Steel has a melting point of 12718U.

If you can manage it, it would be amazing if you could get it onto a constructed or mined-out platform held up by a single support, then drop it several Z-levels onto a heavy rock (since falls technically calculate the density of the floor in determining falling damage). A lot like with bronze colossi, a steel titan should break off most of its limbs on impact due to its size and weight, at which point you can keep it as an archery target. Even if it has wings technically, you mentioned that it doesn't seem to actually do any flying, so this should still be effective (probably. Maybe.)
Mondays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Nightmares
Fridays @ 4pm EST, 9pm GMT: Dwarf Fortress Successions
twitch.tv/oaogigmaster

"Of course the frelling monarch is the last to die."

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2016, 07:37:09 am »

Well, it is a bit disappointing because the goblins just ran out of troops.
The last time I used the titan was to defeat an Ettin.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 07:48:59 pm »

Current news: The titan is now fighting a roc, and it seems the fight will last till the end of the world.

Edit*

The titan put the roc sleep using its spit attack. And the titan lost interests towards the sleeping target, it removed back into his fine room I set up for it, because it wanted to kill the chicken chained in that room than finishing the roc.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 08:19:32 pm by utunnels »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 09:27:52 pm »

Oh, goblins with whips can actually hurt the steel titan, for some reason.

:o

Hmm, it seems the goblins are winning. They are becoming elite soldiers.

Edit*

Well, the goblin won and left.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 09:58:43 pm by utunnels »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 11:53:11 pm »

Oh yeah. Whips, blunt weapons with 1 contact area that they are, are particularly effective at killing bronze colossi. (And breaking bones through armor)

And now you have Elite lashers out there, wanting to kill you :3

Hm, is there anything whips fail to kill? (Though they're probably not as good as some weapons in certain situations.)

kingsableye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 04:23:52 am »

Zombies probably, they'd take a while to pulp them, right? Any creature who feels no pain and doesn't die from blood loss would probably be pretty resistant to death by whip.
I mean, you can kill pretty much anything in DF if you hit it enough but.

King Kitteh

• Bay Watcher
  • [SAVAGE][CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 04:37:18 am »

You probably should have kept it safe for marksdwarf training. Easy elite marksdwarves.
Pages: 1 [2] 3