Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16

Author Topic: Roll To be Determined: Turn 20 - So close yet so far  (Read 32908 times)

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To be Determined: Turn 3 - And We have Combat
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2016, 09:36:15 am »

((well, there's no obvious need to harm them any further now they are beat, unless you are Evil. On the other hand, if you are Cunning Evil, we could ally them, or even ask them for work, and then work our way to the top and take over their organisation))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2016, 09:37:23 am »

((We really don't have the tactical advantage over the ranged fighters, who are far away and thus in a better position than us. We do have an advantage over the guy Takashi injured, in that he's already pretty much neutralised.))
One wheel short of a wagon

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2016, 10:18:24 am »

((We really don't have the tactical advantage over the ranged fighters, who are far away and thus in a better position than us. We do have an advantage over the guy Takashi injured, in that he's already pretty much neutralised.))
((The guy that Takashi injured seems to be their leader. If we can secure him in a hostage position, as I am attempting to do, we may be able to utilize him as leverage on the rest of his group to not fire.))
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2016, 10:33:12 am »

((but they already appear to have given up - all you can gain is their undying enmity. Yanethi considers them defeated and has no wish to continue the conflict with them and will not necessarily stand and fight with a stranger for no reason or tangible benefit.))

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2016, 11:53:09 am »

((Huh, I didn't know you send your leader out into the middle of a road with nothing but the clothes on his back and some leather armor. On a more Metagamey side I am sure that a 4 found all of the people hiding here. Totally positive you didn't only find the archers on the left because they were prepared to stand up and shoot at a moments notice. Anyway I am waiting on Mallos' response but he hasn't been on yet since he posted his action. Oh and I probably won't spout this much in the future though that is because in the future I will include more of this in the turn itself. For instance I could hint by including on that 6 check of the guy, how he doesn't seem too smart and probably just there because he looks like he can run fast. As for the other, well when searching you just have to remember it isn't quite binary.

In fact lets take this time to note that while you have been seeing all the dice modifiers so far that is just the ones you could know about. As an example if there was a ninja hiding here (there isn't) he would be better at hiding then these smucks but I wouldn't be including the "-999 because ninja's be hiding" modifier to the roll. Oh and on top of that a 4 is partial success so in a number of situations it will only partially inform you.))
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 12:03:25 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
  • sick and tired of being sick and tired
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2016, 01:39:25 pm »

((I don't trust a bunch of bandits to keep their promises. If one of their reps suddenly imploded, I'd feel safer about their surrendering because the rest would be like "YO THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY" if we left them alive. Oh well, I'm pretty dumb so at the more team oriented decisions I'll just keep quiet.))
Gone. Departed. Headed off toward greener pastures.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #51 on: November 26, 2016, 01:46:37 pm »

((Okay, We will go with your action then. I will give the others a bit of time to take note of my previous message then do the turn.))

Edit: ((Constructing Turn))
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 03:10:00 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Turn 4 - Cooler Heads Prevail
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2016, 04:04:52 pm »

Turn 4 - Cooler Heads Prevail

((Huh, I didn't know you send your leader out into the middle of a road with nothing but the clothes on his back and some leather armor. On a more Metagamey side I am sure that a 4 found all of the people hiding here. Totally positive you didn't only find the archers on the left because they were prepared to stand up and shoot at a moments notice. Anyway I am waiting on Mallos' response but he hasn't been on yet since he posted his action. Oh and I probably won't spout this much in the future though that is because in the future I will include more of this in the turn itself. For instance I could hint by including on that 6 check of the guy, how he doesn't seem too smart and probably just there because he looks like he can run fast. As for the other, well when searching you just have to remember it isn't quite binary.

In fact lets take this time to note that while you have been seeing all the dice modifiers so far that is just the ones you could know about. As an example if there was a ninja hiding here (there isn't) he would be better at hiding then these smucks but I wouldn't be including the "-999 because ninja's be hiding" modifier to the roll. Oh and on top of that a 4 is partial success so in a number of situations it will only partially inform you.))
((Just so everyone notices this))

"I'll bend a bit.. Just this once. Lend me a bit of your strength..please." Ckaeyod uttered under his breath. He then looks up at the bandit and says, "We gave you a chance.. Besides,nobody will steal from the Silver Apostle."

Wait patiently to see how the others handle it
((Now Mallos,
   I do like to let people do as they will so just to confirm. You are about to attempt a use of your reality bending power, your Corrupting Uncontrolled Novice Reality Bending power? With a headache and while the bandits are willing to let you just leave, no theft attached?))

This is a good idea~ Don't worry and let the power flow through you~ It can't hurt you that much, it is a part of you now and forever~! To hurt you would be like having a hand slit it's bodies throat~ Anyway all this would be an affront to someone with even half your power and it clearly wouldn't stand for it~!
((I don't trust a bunch of bandits to keep their promises. If one of their reps suddenly imploded, I'd feel safer about their surrendering because the rest would be like "YO THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY" if we left them alive. Oh well, I'm pretty dumb so at the more team oriented decisions I'll just keep quiet.))
((The point wasn't not to kill them (though I did name their group steel board) but rather a warning against using a power you had no idea what it would do that I specifically pointed out as being uncontrolled and corrupting. Your action alone even if everything went perfectly would have required 3 to 5 rolls. With enough 1's and 6's the only thing stopping you from losing your character would be my good will. From how you described your character I made the power as something that either gets pulled out in a do or die situation or as something you spend some time training on small things until you have some control of it. Also warning the following link is to tvtropes [[Link]], I will not do this much.))

Takashi shrugs looking faintly bemused and lays on her butt relaxing.
Relax a little just keep the scythe ready in case things go down further.
If anyone in our party tries anything dodgy while the negotiations go on, Karlan tries to knock the idea out of their heads with a hard blow to the nape of the neck, then further blows until compliance or unconsciousness is achieved. If anyone from the other side attacks with bows, he flings himself to the ground and tries to the nearest cover. Melee combat he answers in kind.

[1] Takashi decides to lay down, sadly choosing to do so on a sharp rock and while being distracted with that you are not able to ready your scythe. [3] Karlan on the other hand just ends up looking at the wrong people when preparing to quell any nonsense, luckily no one starts any.

Arìenne frowns. This could be bad if her companions didn't stand down. She thought of a way to defuse the situation.

Her expression changes into a winning smile. She approaches the lead bandit, swaggering slightly.

"Ooooh, Steel Board? That means you're... Big Fry. I certainly like men who... have connections.

Need a hand getting up, love?
"

At the same time, she braced herself to draw her dagger and stab the man, but did not do so yet; however, if she is forced into danger, or if her companions continue their assault, she decides to simply stab the dude.

[1] The man waves away your helping hand and instead whistles in a weird warbling way. From the right a duo of men rush over and pick him up.

"Leave the man be - this is no longer our fight."

Approach the leader.

"It would be good that you keep your word. I bear no grudge, as it is. What is your name? Perhaps we shall meet again on friendlier terms. I am Yanethi of the sea."

Yanethi talks thus and then continues on his way to the next town.

Before you can even get close to the man the two men from the right have already picked him up. They glare at you before quickly retreating to the left. Once they vanish over the bluff the archers also retreat back. Within just a few moments there is no way to tell there was even an ambush here. Just as you all relax you hear a gruff voice which proceeds to inform you "Your a tough group. One of my men's life is worth more then a few silver, especially such a good runner. Anyway wear some better clothes! With your abilities you shouldn't be too short of cash and if you had we wouldn't have bothered you. Oh and don't bother with telling the guards, they are either in our pocket or too weak to matter."

With this silence once again reigns and you all continue on the road. As you walk Arienne confirms what he said about the guards. She also informs the rest of you how it is actually for the better in general as the steel board does keep their word. The area has been a lot safer since they came into power.

The journey continues for a few more hours and a bit before dusk the group arrives at the next town. While not the middle of nowhere this place is definitely only here as a way point between more important places. The only things of note is the uncharacteristically stout wood wall and a big tavern which is split in two. One side of the tavern is well lit with soft music filtering out of a high quality window (It even has spelled glass!). The other side looks almost rundown and clearly meant for less noble travelers. From the looks of it and how few houses there are this is the only business in town besides being a guard.

As you enter town the guard confirms your assumptions with a wink and a mention of there not being any entry fee for a group like yours. The other guard at the gate then informs you that to stay the night at the in can cost 3cp to stay in the common room or 8cp for a private room and that a meal will cost 7cp. Then the other guard chimes in about how the nice side costs 10sp a person and includes a meal. The interrupted guard glares and mumbles about your group not being able to afford it then informs you all with a sneer that to sleep in an alley costs 1cp or he and his buddies will throw you over the wall.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:18:57 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To be Determined: Turn 4 - Cooler Heads Prevail
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2016, 04:46:22 pm »

"Travelling comrades. Do you continue on tomorrow? My aim is to reach a large settlement, at some point."

Take a meal and a space in the common room. Spend as much again on drinks, sharing with likely looking locals who might want to discuss what's going on, that kind of thing. What are the local injustices or problems - or perhaps damsels in distress, that would be nice - that a small group of travellers may be able to address? Are there any women to talk to? Yanethi needs to practice talking to non-Drifting women.

"Ckaeyod - what is the thing with your head that you were attempting to summon?"

((sorry, it's late and I'm poorlysick, that's all I have the energy for ;) ))

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2016, 05:09:24 pm »

Karlan holds up one finger and looks at his travelling companions.
One wheel short of a wagon

Coolrune206

• Bay Watcher
  • Come on, just a taste of your soul?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2016, 05:51:16 pm »

Arìenne seems thoughtful. She speaks softly, out of earshot of any guards.

"Normally, I'd like two days for this; one to collect information from a guardsman, preferably the captain, and the other to get all the rumors from the tavern, and maybe make a quick buck. That being said, why don't you get all the info from the tavern? I can take care of the guardsman. I'll pay for my own room. I think I'll take... a private one. I might be able to get a meal from the guards."

Finishing speaking, she winks to her party, then walks back towards the guard. Introducing herself in a flippant and unrestrained attitude as a 'performer', she slips the guard 4cp and asks him to take her to his captain; and if he can't take her there, to direct her to him. Upon meeting the captain, she attempts to seduce him, get a meal out of him, then to extract some information in a way that doesn't seem suspicious.
"You are a shameful gaggle of cowards who has made a mockery of the challenge, but you have avoided death. Sit and eat."

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2016, 07:08:09 pm »

"Travelling comrades. Do you continue on tomorrow? My aim is to reach a large settlement, at some point."

Take a meal and a space in the common room. Spend as much again on drinks, sharing with likely looking locals who might want to discuss what's going on, that kind of thing. What are the local injustices or problems - or perhaps damsels in distress, that would be nice - that a small group of travellers may be able to address? Are there any women to talk to? Yanethi needs to practice talking to non-Drifting women.

"Ckaeyod - what is the thing with your head that you were attempting to summon?"

((I'm assuming we aren't too familiar with eachother yet in my actions for future reference))

"Something you wouldn't understand. Too bothersome to explain it at this juncture. Maybe somewhere private, if you insist." Ckaeyod looks momentarily lost in images of the past.
"I think we all should get to an inn, for the good of the group. I'll be in a room of my own. Anyone who wants a private room and cant afford it on their own, I can loan a bit of my wealth." He tries his best to give a grin (perhaps to avoid suspicion) and quietly adds one more bit of information before heading to the local inn- "Watch your belongings."

Do as said and pay for a private room, meditating inside in quiet prayer to the Silver God.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2016, 07:16:45 pm »

Pay for a private room talk crudely with some drinks or the like get something to drink.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Turn 5 - Staying the Night
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2016, 09:31:59 pm »

Turn 5 - Staying the Night

((sorry, it's late and I'm poorlysick, that's all I have the energy for ;) ))
Yanethi: -7cp meal, -3cp stay in common room, -10cp round of drinks, 3sp 6cp remaining

A quick round of drinks for the off duty guards and you soon learn there aren't really any problems except a lack of ladies. The fancy side of the inn doesn't even have the usual types. While a few mention that occasionally people complain about bandits on the roads whenever any guards go and investigate there isn't anything. You get the feeling from how some shut up about it that any competent sort here belong to the bandits. Before you head off to bed tonight one of the guards that shut up brushes past and whispers "Tomorrow if your group is heading out the vice captain might have a quick job on the way. He will be at the gate in the morning."

((I'm assuming we aren't too familiar with eachother yet in my actions for future reference))

"Something you wouldn't understand. Too bothersome to explain it at this juncture. Maybe somewhere private, if you insist." Ckaeyod looks momentarily lost in images of the past.
"I think we all should get to an inn, for the good of the group. I'll be in a room of my own. Anyone who wants a private room and cant afford it on their own, I can loan a bit of my wealth." He tries his best to give a grin (perhaps to avoid suspicion) and quietly adds one more bit of information before heading to the local inn- "Watch your belongings."

Do as said and pay for a private room, meditating inside in quiet prayer to the Silver God.
((Just a note while psionics is a much rarer path to take then magic most people have a basic idea of it even if most probably just think of it as a branch of magic so you can just pass it off as psionics. This is how the man knew what you tried to do though likely he just felt something weird in his mind and decided you didn't look like a charm wizard.))
Ckaeyod: -8cp stay in private room, 223cp remaining

[6] Your meditation goes well and you feel that tomorrow your head will be exceptionally clear. [1] Your prayers though go particularly badly. The connection you felt before with your God in the smoke filled prayer hall now just feels cheap. It is almost as if something is missing or maybe coming in-between you and the Silver God. But don't worry, I will always be here for you~ Nothing can separate us nor take the power you gained~

Arìenne seems thoughtful. She speaks softly, out of earshot of any guards.

"Normally, I'd like two days for this; one to collect information from a guardsman, preferably the captain, and the other to get all the rumors from the tavern, and maybe make a quick buck. That being said, why don't you get all the info from the tavern? I can take care of the guardsman. I'll pay for my own room. I think I'll take... a private one. I might be able to get a meal from the guards."

Finishing speaking, she winks to her party, then walks back towards the guard. Introducing herself in a flippant and unrestrained attitude as a 'performer', she slips the guard 4cp and asks him to take her to his captain; and if he can't take her there, to direct her to him. Upon meeting the captain, she attempts to seduce him, get a meal out of him, then to extract some information in a way that doesn't seem suspicious.
Arienne: -8cp stay in private room, -4cp bribing guard, 227sp 302cp remaining

[1] The one guard stares at you with a stoic look not even taking his hands off his spear. The other laughs and takes your money. Sadly he also doesn't take you to the captain. Luckily though he does inform you that who you would really like to talk to is the vice captain. Then winks and tells you you might meet him tomorrow. The other guard sighs.

Pay for a private room talk crudely with some drinks or the like get something to drink.
Takashi: -8cp stay in private room, -7cp drinks, 31sp 7cp remaining

You night of drinking works out quite well. The off duty guards introduce you to the local 'special' and you give it a try. [5] You hold it quite well and they call you the most dwarven elf they ever did meet. As you go to bed and think back on the earlier fight [5] you feel your ability to fight with the scythe has gone up.[Weapon Mastery Scythe Lv1↑2]

Karlan holds up one finger and looks at his travelling companions.
((Including what your thinking if you try to talk with only actions will help me decide how to interpret your actions to the others))
Ckaeyod: -8cp traveling companion's stay in private room, 215cp remaining
Karlan: 8cp debt to Ckaeyod for stay in private room

Ckaeyod assumes that your gesture means you can't pay for a room. You accept his loan as you can't even afford the odd charge to sleep in the alley.

Yanethi, your stay in the common room is quite peaceful. There aren't many other travelers in the inn at the moment actually. This actually seems a bit strange. Maybe it has something to do with tomorrows meeting with the vice captain.

Everyone else, the private rooms barely qualify as that. There isn't even enough room for a second bed. Any assumptions you had for how many rooms are in the place where clearly quite below what the truth is. This makes it all the more strange that you seem to be all on your lonesome as your group seems to be the only ones here.

The Night Passes
The next day dawns and you all wake up. Yanethi [7] manages to get though the night with out any of his belongings disappearing. The groups questions last night confirmed there aren't any other businesses in town and because no one was against it you all head to the other gate. The guard from the other day is standing there along with one of the ones that was in the tavern last night. He then walks up to your group and with wink introduces himself.

"Why hello there! I am the humble vice captain of this small desolate place." He smirks at Arienne then continues talking. "Now your group seems a bit poor compared to your abilities so I might have a solution to this! While most guards here are a bit crooked we also do our job of protecting the area. With the qualities 'scouts' we have in the area most things are routed out easily." now getting this far he starts to frown "With this in mind though some things do get past us. Some of you probably noticed the lack of travelers in the inn. A group of goblins moved in between here and the next town. Normally we would sweep them up except for one problem." now his frown has developed into a definite scowl "A damned variant is with the group and not one of the dumb types. This one not only has enough of a brain to avoid us but also any travelers that look tough enough to deal with them. Luckily for us your less than stellar fashion means you will likely end up facing them. Just collect the variants right ear and in the next town the gate guards will reward you 1sp plus another 5cp for each regular gob right ear you bring. Not what you would get at the adventurers guild but not one of those nearby." with this he once again returns to his smirk and waves you through the gate.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:19:05 am by Akhier the Dragon hearted »

Mallos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll To be Determined: Turn 5 - Staying the Night
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2016, 09:52:03 pm »

"I have no objections to this job.. I don't like working for bandits, but money is money." Ckaeyod states plainly to the rest of the party while faintly frowning.
"So, if no one else objects, we could head out to kill these goblins any time."

Wait for party's responses, move out if they agree

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16