Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.  (Read 5519 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2016, 01:56:41 pm »

As a gamer I don't consider "video games" a guilty pleasure. Saying they are to me plays into the old perception that games are frivolous time wasters. And I am in no way embarrassed about spending my time enjoying games. To me it's a more adult, intelligent activity than going to bars and getting drunk.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2016, 02:06:18 pm »

Some Manowar stuff I enjoy feels like it counts as guilty pleasure, too.
HAIL, SALMONGOD!
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2016, 02:26:34 pm »

I'd have to say PTWing everywhere is a guilty pleasure of mine.  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2016, 02:31:24 pm »

Is this your PTW?
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 02:34:14 pm »

Is this your PTW?
Now if I told you that it wouldn't be funny.  ;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2016, 03:55:29 pm »

As a gamer I don't consider "video games" a guilty pleasure. Saying they are to me plays into the old perception that games are frivolous time wasters. And I am in no way embarrassed about spending my time enjoying games. To me it's a more adult, intelligent activity than going to bars and getting drunk.

I consider it appreciating art. I feel like, if put on the spot while playing a game, I could say a lot about the specific appeal of a game, its influences if I happen to know about the genre, etc. and prove that I'm actually thinking, not just entertaining myself.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2016, 05:51:25 pm »

I consider it appreciating art. I feel like, if put on the spot while playing a game, I could say a lot about the specific appeal of a game, its influences if I happen to know about the genre, etc. and prove that I'm actually thinking, not just entertaining myself.

I totally agree.  I find that the people most likely to be condescending about the idea of playing video games are also the ones most likely to waste their own time on far more banal, disengaging activities like watching sitcoms or drinking themselves into oblivion.  Just one of many examples why I believe that projection is the most powerful force in human psychology.  And it's well-established science at this point that gaming is good for intellectual development.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2016, 07:32:43 pm »

I'll cop to enjoying my time in Spore, for what we got. Still couldn't override the crushing disappointment in what it was though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2016, 07:35:29 pm »

I listen to skrewdriver sometimes.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2016, 08:37:35 pm »

I find that the people most likely to be condescending about the idea of playing video games are also the ones most likely to waste their own time on far more banal, disengaging activities like watching sitcoms
Hey, if it's Seinfeld or Always Sunny, there ain't a whole lot of videogames that can even come close to competing with that level of quality.

I listen to skrewdriver sometimes.
Oddly enough a Facebook "friend" of mine posted a whine about that band the other day, saying he'd been walking along, telling some other friend about one time he apparently "confronted" a record store for selling Skrewdriver records (this guy's a massive SJW, he gets up-in-arms about things far more minor than this, haha) when some complete stranger who happened to be nearby shouted "But the music was good!"
I don't think they confronted him. Maybe they treated him to some stinging silence? Who knows.

Anyway, I listen to a fair amount of NSBM. That probably counts as a guilty pleasure... the bands I listen to have some serious musical chops to back up whatever their agenda is, though- and who pays attention to vocals in black metal anyway? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2016, 09:56:28 pm »

I totally agree.  I find that the people most likely to be condescending about the idea of playing video games are also the ones most likely to waste their own time on far more banal, disengaging activities like watching sitcoms or drinking themselves into oblivion.  Just one of many examples why I believe that projection is the most powerful force in human psychology.  And it's well-established science at this point that gaming is good for intellectual development.

Gaming is an interactive hobby. That alone makes it superior to a vast swath of leisure activities.

Oh, and there's another one: watching the AVC Fine Art Auction with Ray Taylor. It's a father-son bonding activity in my family, pretty much everything about it is intensely mockable. To boot, the auctioneer and his partner are literally criminals who stole a bunch of art from their last employer and loaded it up in a pickup truck as the starting seed for their new auction business. There's some really goddamn terrible stuff that comes up from time to time, I recall one oil where a stablehand was standing between a cow and a goat(?) but the artist had forgotten to paint his legs, so it looked like he was legless and holding himself up between the livestock.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2016, 12:52:52 am »

Oh man, music.  I'll proudly admit to liking old country. I absolutely adore Roger Miller, Marty Robins, and Johnny Horton.  I don't even consider that a guilty pleasure.  The real problem is some of the other stuff I listen to.  Honestly, because most of my music comes through Pandora, I can't tell how popular it actually is, so I'm always surprised to hear music I like in public(Bulletproof by La Roux has been playing a lot lately!), and I usually don't talk about stuff besides what I consider safe artists.
For example, I really like Passenger, and I'm not sure most people would understand that beyond "Oh yeah, Let Her Go" which, in my opinion, was one of the worst songs on an absolutely fantastic album. I don't think it's a bad song.  I just think pretty much everything else on All The Little Lights was better. I also think it's a funny title when the first Passenger song I heard was one about stalking a coworker.  Also, one of his songs was used in Elementary. So maybe Passenger is mainstream, but I still would be really embarrassed to talk about his/their music (what's the right term for a band that's only one person?)
Which reminds me that I also really like Stalker Songs. I've been fascinated by them ever since I realized that they're a thing.  And there are so many when you start listening for it. I get a little excited whenever I hear a love song and realize that the singer isn't really giving their partner a chance.  There's one I've been hearing a lot lately, and it's kinda bad, but it has a couple lines that say "I've had to work much harder than this, for something I want, don't try to resist" and I just can't figure out how somebody would think that's romantic and not super creepy. I also enjoy them when they're intentional, like the Passenger song, Night Vision Binoculars, or Run For Your Life by the Beatles.  Seriously, stalker songs are everywhere.

Man, I feel guilty just for all the namedropping I'm doing.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2016, 01:02:41 am »

Worry not. We won't judge you for the namedropping.

... the apparent stalking/non-con fetish, on the other hand... >_> I joke, I joke. Mostly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2016, 01:52:01 am »

I wouldn't call it a fetish.  I also think it's culturally fascinating how many songs are regarded as so romantic that are really about being a stalker or emotionally abusive (Every Breath You Take ftw).  But really, it seems like people just don't actually listen to what their music is about 90% of the time and just take the presentation at face value.  So parents will think it's ok to play a B-52s song about visiting brothels at a middle school dance, but I could play a Megadeth song about how war is bad and be accused of poisoning children's minds with satanic messages.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2016, 02:02:53 am »

I have said "You've got the cutest personality" unironically, despite stealing the phrase from this song

because it's a perfect way to express how I feel about people who have personalities that I find attractive, except for if someone were to think I meant 'tits' instead of 'personality' because they've also heard the song
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 02:05:34 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5