Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.  (Read 5503 times)

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:56:17 pm »

I'm casually interested in learning if other people can break through what me and my friends started to call the "Hipster Barrier" when it comes to admitting the things that grant you small joy even if it's considered uncool or such. I have a few and I'm bored so we'll do a AA meeting type thread where you admit one thing most people consider beyond the pale. NO PERVS, this isn't that kind of thread.

I'll start. Hi, I'm Jimbo and I actually like Closer by the Chainsmokers and Halsey. When it comes on the radio my friends go "ugh" but I turn it up and groove along with the song. I dunno what it is about the song but damn it makes me groovy. This is odd considering I usually am in the wheelhouse of classic Rock and Rap. I listen to AC/DC, Van Halen, what have you and also the classics of Biggie and Tupac with some Wu Tang and NWA.
Editadd: This is a guilty pleasure I have owned and accepted now because even my 14 year old cousin who like pop and today's top 100 looks at me like I took my face off and revealed that I'm The Thing when I start grooving.

But this song. It reaches straight through me and tickles that groove bone.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 02:01:30 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: Guilty Pleasures. No, not those kinds you perv.
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »

I actually like those 3-D anime models from programs such as MMD and stuff. They're usually very well-done.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »

Only watching Honest Trailers instead of regular trailers? I'm drawing a blank. The problem is probably the "guilty" part.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 02:06:37 pm »

Only watching Honest Trailers instead of regular trailers? I'm drawing a blank. The problem is probably the "guilty" part.

Guilty pleasures would be something that you might get a bit embarrassed if someone found out you like/do this thing. You can put down ones you've come to accept and flaunt as well.
To clarify, I used hide my love of Pop songs. Everyone else in my family and friends except one cousin listen to other things. Then it came on once in the car with my friends and i grooved and they looked at me like I just ripped a huge one. Then I got a little sheepish and now I sing along during the song.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 02:10:23 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2016, 02:12:07 pm »

Tbh in my experience if you do anything with confidence you make it cool

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 02:12:59 pm »

I'm a sucker for a good romance, even if it's totally pastel and unrealistic, as long as it's well-written. I also enjoy children's books (as long as they're well-written, again).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2016, 02:13:29 pm »

Tbh in my experience if you do anything with confidence you make it cool

Now mine as well. Still get funny looks but now they're of the kind of "Thats our goofball" instead of "WTF IS THAT"

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 02:16:19 pm »

Another guilty pleasure of mine would be to get myself hurt by something. Nothing serious, like a scratch, scrape, or bruise will do. But just dealing with pain makes me feel good. But I would never purposely hurt myself or get myself hurt, just put myself in a spot where I'm liable to get hurt. Like scratching the belly of a cat.

Until that pain is gastro-intestinal. Or headaches. Fuck headaches.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 02:26:42 pm »

... probably my biggest thing that'd likely be considered a guilty pleasure (save that I have no guilt over it, anyway) is that I read fanfiction. Lots and lots of fanfiction. And actually admit it to people in real life fairly casually, though it almost always requires explaining what it is, first.*

It's kinda' becoming more well known/accepted, I guess, but there's still a fair amount of stigma and an even greater amount of incomprehension, at least in the area I'm in.

*It's surprisingly difficult to explain shipping lingo to someone that has little to no exposure to online literature. Just... throwing that out there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 02:31:26 pm »

There's a Christian rock band that I enjoy.

I also enjoy romances, albeit not the trashy unbelievable bodice-ripper sort. Probably comes from Anne McCaffrey and Heinlein having such a strong presence on my shelves when I was younger, got used to having love and sex mixed in with the SF.

... probably my biggest thing that'd likely be considered a guilty pleasure (save that I have no guilt over it, anyway) is that I read fanfiction. Lots and lots of fanfiction. And actually admit it to people in real life fairly casually, though it almost always requires explaining what it is, first.*

It's kinda' becoming more well known/accepted, I guess, but there's still a fair amount of stigma and an even greater amount of incomprehension, at least in the area I'm in.

*It's surprisingly difficult to explain shipping lingo to someone that has little to no exposure to online literature. Just... throwing that out there.
Hoo boy, I feel ya. Though not on the "admitting IRL" part, that's basically just my folks and a cool aunt who got into fanfiction back during the original Star Trek scene. My father's (among other things) a writer and a punk, and it's actually less awkward trying to justify fanfiction to him than metal. Most people I know I wouldn't dream of, either because they're normies REEEEEE of uncertain disposition or because they're into fandom far beyond a level I feel comfortable at. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 02:34:57 pm »

Even worse than reading fanfiction is writing it, which is one of my guilty pleasures.

I don't talk about it in person, but mostly for lack of other people who would be interested or know what I'm even going on about.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 03:48:42 pm »

I write fairly extensive profiles for characters, creatures and species, even ones that i've never mentioned to anyone else, and i don't even show them to anyone. Few of these characters are actually human, and many of them are overpowered. I especially like writing silly characters to be much more badass than they let on. I also like to give them fittingly badass and cool-sounding titles if i feel like they've earned it. :v (i.e. Pyranex, which itself is a fittingly badass name for an incredibly powerful fire dragon with a kill count up in the tens of thousands, is also known as The Firestorm of Hagfell)

Another one would be that i relatively often go to my own art gallery and peruse my personal favourites, thinking like "wow i really like this". Call me a narcissist if you will, but i personally think it makes a lot of sense to have an art style that i love. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 04:56:34 pm »

fanfiction.
oh, that reminds me to catch up on some comics.
Meow.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 05:46:45 pm »

Monster Musume, and any other anime like it.

Twokinds, my guilt is for many reasons. The early chapters are especially guilty, although the most recent stuff could pass for an acceptable though kinda bland webcomic.

As far as non-entertainment stuff goes, I absolutely love instant noodles. Top Ramen, Cup of Noodles, all those different kinds of things. I love them to pieces and have a few in the pantry at all times. I'm a freak for convenience so I love to just toss them in a backpack when I'm going to school or something.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 05:56:20 pm »

• News and youtube comment section punditry. Internet knife fights bring me back to the joyful stupidity of 4am IRC.
  • The Walking Dead. I don't even know why anymore, it's probably not embarrassing to the majority of people or it wouldn't be running, but it feels dirty, especially this new season.
  • Cheap greasy chinese food, the more MSG the better.
  • Gratuitous bullet point lists.
  • Wildly nonscientific pontifications about physics, mathematics, and chemistry. Science-fantasy is my genre. Yes, I'm that kind of scumbag nerd.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5