Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53

Author Topic: WIZARDS!: ZAP  (Read 80148 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: WIZARDS!: ZAP
« Reply #585 on: March 28, 2017, 04:32:28 pm »

Snatch some food when nobody's looking and eat it while hidden.  Stay a fair distance from the group, but not so far away that I lose sight of Fleyshius, or couldn't run to his aid quickly.

Spoiler: sigh (click to show/hide)

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: March 28, 2017, 05:15:01 pm »

"Food's good. Thanks, Alanna." Bill offers after eating before returning to his normal silence and getting things set up with his summons.

Eat, then mount up on Snakescorpion and head out. Use summon senses for direction and warning so we don't get ambushed. Heading towards that magnetic disturbance thing we were heading for earlier, maybe see if having encountered the wizard (sort of) let's me track it easier.

Spoiler: Snakescorpion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarantula (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bill (click to show/hide)
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 28, 2017, 11:44:54 pm »

Get a-moving.

Spoiler: Beethro Budkin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cart (click to show/hide)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 30, 2017, 12:49:40 pm »

fleyshius starts walking with group whistling a jaunty song.

Wonderful omelette my lady.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[/quote]
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #589 on: March 31, 2017, 12:21:54 am »

The morning goes well. Breakfast occurs with no more difficulty than usual. Marcus extols the virtues and talents of his daughter. Sigh cowers near Flesyhius, whose name people still struggle to pronounce, and Flesyhius speaks loudly and mildly pompously about everything going on around him. Beethro sits in silence, eating with a mild smile on his face. Despite the gloomy weather and the bizarre events of the following evening, everything is going well.

Except for Bill.

He sits on top of a nearby dune and stares out at the horizon. That magnetic effect is stronger now. No longer faint; he can see it clearly, like strange smoke twisting in flowing paths and blooming outward along the curve of the earth. It's gotten significantly more powerful, and its not simply because they've gotten closer to it. He gets the distinct feeling that whatever it is that's causing that effect is gearing up for something. He returns his plate with the food barely touched and waits anxiously for the rest of the team to get ready.

The path towards the towering pillar of magnetic flux takes them across a great deal of empty wasteland. They travel straight for 8 hours before coming across anything more interesting than a particularly large dune or windblown garbage that has collected in the valley between two high points. What they find is a town; or whats left of one. Its not a modern town either, its a pre-wizard settlement of dozens of structures. But they are all partially submerged within the dunes, and whats more, they appear to have fossilized. What was once a general store or a two story home is now resembles a white replica poking out of stone snowbanks. Marble facsimiles of homes half buried by an avalanche or sunk into the ground. No doors open, no windows can be peered through, nothing can be interacted with anymore than you might interact with a carved statue.  It is simply a remnant, evidence of whatever created this place.

And in the middle of this phantom town, laid out carefully in several lines right down mainstreet, are bodies. Children's bodies. They're in varying states of decay, and some are little more than a collection of carefully arranged bones.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: March 31, 2017, 12:38:57 am »

"..."

"..."

"Marcus needs cloth. How much do we have?"

"I... don't think we have any? Why?"

"To bring the bodies back. Parents need to look after their children, even in death. Marcus learned this lesson long ago."

He surveys the scene.

"We will have to return, or send another party."

"Yeah. This is... sad." Alanna grimaces at the scene. "Also deliberate; no natural force is this precise, not out here. Search the town for clues, maybe we'll find something."

Ransack Explore the ruins for clues.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: April 01, 2017, 12:09:27 am »

Gonna break character for a minute, because this is important.  Spoiler'd the actual actions to save space; see below.

Spoiler: In here (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #592 on: April 01, 2017, 10:57:56 am »

OI! WHERE MY PLAYERS AT!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: April 01, 2017, 12:11:00 pm »

Well, lets get ready.

Unhook the spider from the cart.  Begin searching the town.

"I bet we can trigger a fight by messing with those bodies."

"One last thing, take some food with you.  The cart might get attacked, and we might need to save enough to live on until we can walk back."

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:16:34 pm by Devastator »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: April 01, 2017, 02:39:53 pm »

Let the others poke around, use summon senses to make sure we aren't ambushed and to try to locate anything of interest.

Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: April 01, 2017, 08:30:12 pm »

Fleyshius will stare at the children in shock, completely taken aback by the abject horror of it.

…By God, what is this.

23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: April 02, 2017, 07:09:27 am »

"There is no god, magic is inscrutable, it just does with rhyme but no reason.  Wild child smiled, then laid, flayed, unmade..."

Location?  Guess.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: April 02, 2017, 09:36:39 pm »

((I'm an idiot.  We should make a good meal for the +1 str. bonus.  I think this may be combat time soonish.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #598 on: April 03, 2017, 04:16:44 pm »

Gonna break character for a minute, because this is important.  Spoiler'd the actual actions to save space; see below.

Spoiler: In here (click to show/hide)

"..."

"..."

"Marcus needs cloth. How much do we have?"

"I... don't think we have any? Why?"

"To bring the bodies back. Parents need to look after their children, even in death. Marcus learned this lesson long ago."

He surveys the scene.

"We will have to return, or send another party."

"Yeah. This is... sad." Alanna grimaces at the scene. "Also deliberate; no natural force is this precise, not out here. Search the town for clues, maybe we'll find something."

Ransack Explore the ruins for clues.
Well, lets get ready.

Unhook the spider from the cart.  Begin searching the town.

"I bet we can trigger a fight by messing with those bodies."

"One last thing, take some food with you.  The cart might get attacked, and we might need to save enough to live on until we can walk back."

Beethro, Marcus and Alanna spread out into the small town and start searching. They search the bodies first and immediately find something off about them: all the ones that still have flesh on them show marks of being operated on postmortum;  specifically that their chests had been opened and then sewn back shut. The incisions and closings are crude as well, not the careful work you'd expect if this was some sort of local burial ritual. Someone took something out of, or put something into these bodies and then left them here to rot.  But in order to figure out what it was, someone would have to open one of these bodies back up.

Beyond the strangely prepared bodies the town is very much vacant. There are no signs that these fossilized buildings are recent, but more peculiarly there are no signs as to how these bodies ended up here. No dirty footprints or spatters of blood or drag marks. The bodies are also bizarrely clean,  and the decay lacks any insects or signs of predation. These bodies aren't so much rotten as they are drying and crumbling apart. The best clue the team has is that these bodies, and this town, are in line with a straight shot from the outer edge of the wastes towards the energy at the center. Someone moving from the outside towards that energy would have to pass through here first.

Let the others poke around, use summon senses to make sure we aren't ambushed and to try to locate anything of interest.

You sit on the outskirts of the town with your summons and wait. You don't like this. You really don't like this place. You get a feeling in the pit of your stomach as though being here is like hitting a beehive with a bat. But so far, nothing has happened. Everything is quiet.

Fleyshius will stare at the children in shock, completely taken aback by the abject horror of it.

…By God, what is this.

"There is no god, magic is inscrutable, it just does with rhyme but no reason.  Wild child smiled, then laid, flayed, unmade..."

Location?  Guess.

Fleshyius just stands on the outskirts with Bill, too astonished to even step foot into town. This is an oddity. Wizards are always crazy, and often cruel, but this is something different. Why would these bodies be taken and then just left here?  In his experience wizards always have a goal; their logic is broken and their ideas are warped but they're not just randomly commiting blasphemies, they have something they're trying to accomplish, even if that something is completely insane. And usually, he can make some guess regarding what that goal is by their actions but...not here.  Nothing about this makes sense.

Sigh tries to guess the location of this town but the best he can do is guess that it is a few days south of their entrance from the ironwoods.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: April 03, 2017, 07:54:17 pm »

"Seems like they did something with their insides." Alanna noted. "Otherwise they've just... mummified. The rest of this place is pretty barren."

"They will pay for this."

"Mmm. Should we find out what they did?"

Marcus glanced over the bodies. "Marcus will not desecrate a childs corpse. Marcus doesn't want you to consider it either. The enemy is further into the desert, Marcus wishes to hurry."

Southward Bound?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 53