Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Genetic engineering, Beyond Eugenics, Crispr, End of disease, Designer babies.  (Read 10200 times)

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New technologies in gene editing allow huge leaps in science, for a fraction of the time, cost, and expertise required.
We have the technologies to produce genetically modifed humans, within the lifespan of you or I.
We have the technologies to produce cures for many genetic diseases.
We may even develop the technology to extend life near indefinitely.

Genetically modified foods are herbicide and pesiticide resistant.
Genetically modified animals show unheralded characteristics such as flouresence, fast growth, and see through skin.
Children with three genetic parents exist, (replaced mitochondria)

Genetic engineering takes time, money and expertise. However, with the revolutionary new technology known as Crispr-CAS9 we can now effectively edit the majority of bacteria, plants, animals, and humans. Experiments may now only take three months, require one hundred times less the amount of money, and can be run by an intelligent high schooler with a lab.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

A new genetically engineered breed of Mosquitoes has the potential to wipe out the genes of the existing mosquitoes, and as designed, end the spread of Malaria through Mosquitoes.
Gene drive, based on CAS-9 is a gene that writes itself to the opposite chromosome. This process turns the hetero zygotes produced in Mendelian genetics into homo zygotes.
This new gene is not just dominant, but overwrites all children to have the desired trait on both chromosomes.
The takeaway is this: Scientists have the potential to over-write the genes of an entire population of fastbreeding species, like Mosquito, within a year.
We can end the dominance of malaria, but so too do we have the power to genetically modify an entire species for good, or ill.

It took twenty years to engineer a mosquito that doesn't transmit Malaria. It then took only four years to engineer a Mosquito with this gene drive.

https://www.ted.com/talks/jennifer_kahn_gene_editing_can_now_change_an_entire_species_forever?language=en

Genetic engineering is scary powerful.
Genetic engineering of babies is largely prohibited.
Genetic engineering could see a major advancement every four years.(my opinion)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 11:40:17 pm by eerr »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

The Academician’s private residences shall remain off-limits to the Genetic Inspectors. We possess no retroviral capability, we are not researching retroviral engineering, and we shall not allow this Council to violate faction privileges in the name of this ridiculous witch hunt!”
            —Fedor Petrov,
            Vice Provost for University Affairs

FUCK YOU PRAVIN LAL WE GENE WARFARE NOW

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile

Genetic Engineering Checklist:

• Enhanced immune system. Immunity to all diseases. Even the really nasty ones.
  • Cosmetic alterations. Fangs, boobies, tails, boobies, glowing tattoos, boobies, furries, boobies, and ummmm...oh yeah, boobies.
  • Practical augmentations. Speed, Strength, Agility, Dexterity, Intelligence...pretty much anything you could find in an RPG stat sheet.
  • Controlled aging. Pick your ideal age, then stay that age forever!

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Cosmetic alterations. Fangs, boobies, tails, boobies, glowing tattoos, boobies, furries, boobies, and ummmm...oh yeah, boobies.
There's not enough penises on that list.

That is all I have to contribute. Carry on.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We really should get on with eradicating wild mosquitoes already.

Cosmetic alterations.
While I now expect it'll be available in our lifetime, I still think that genemods won't be nearly as efficient for major cosmetic alterations as just 3D-printing a protein scaffold, filling it with stem cells, letting it grow a bit, and grafting it on.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile

GIVE ME ALL THE GENE ALTERATIONS, I'd like to order an ultra dense bone structure and extra cranial space for my new massive neocortex pls. Also an extra pair of gonads.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Permanent slave class.  :'(
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is slavery still a bad thing though, if they're genetically engineered to like being slaves?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Yeah, pretty much. Especially considering if we've got the tech to do that we can just make machines that aren't intelligent or capable of emotion and use those instead. No need to use humans, or much of anything with higher brain functions.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, pretty much. Especially considering if we've got the tech to do that we can just make machines that aren't intelligent or capable of emotion and use those instead. No need to use humans, or much of anything with higher brain functions.

But wouldn't that be offensive to the machines that are intelligent and do have emotions? We might be risking a robot uprising here...I think the safest course is just to stick to human slave labor.

BorkBorkGoesTheCode

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is slavery still a bad thing though, if they're genetically engineered to like being slaves?
I figured you would support such an idea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Treachery_of_Images

Believe nothing you hear. Or everything. Have fun. Love when?

I frequently use PMs to contact people if I think they would miss a post in the deluge.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Now we just need a gene therapy delivery mechanism proficient enough to permanently overwrite the whole geneline of an adult human...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile

But wouldn't that be offensive to the machines that are intelligent and do have emotions? We might be risking a robot uprising here...I think the safest course is just to stick to human slave labor.

Wouldn't we just have some sort of not-robot uprising?

Some sort of... human uprising?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Are you offended that horses are often used for manual labor? No? Then why would an AI with higher intelligence and emotions be offended by an equivalent?

So it's okay to breed and train horses to serve humans, but not okay to engineer humans to enjoy and be proficient as serving as slaves?
And how can we be certain that an AI mindset will consistently mimic that of an idealized human mind closely enough to follow this same line of reasoning?

Wouldn't we just have some sort of not-robot uprising?

Some sort of... human uprising?

The human slaves won't revolt because they've been genetically engineered to be subservient.
Although I guess some of the master-race humans may object to slavery...there's always nutjobs looking for something to object to just so they can feel like they have a purpose in life, and if they can be all sanctimonious about it all the better. But their numbers will not be sufficient to create any real change.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 01:13:10 am by Folly »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6