Athiest
- 35 (47.9%)
Undecided
- 1 (1.4%)
Agnostic
- 10 (13.7%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Author Topic: Religion discussion.  (Read 71499 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Religion discussion.
« Reply #585 on: May 21, 2018, 07:43:46 pm »

Dang, I have a busy day at work and miss a ton of conversation...

It's still creepy and atrocious and antihuman like most forms of Christian doctrine. But it's less contradictory than the Catholic and Protestant Dante horrorshow.

Honest question here - I don't think I've ever heard Christianity described as "antihuman" here - can you explain?  To contrast, I find that Christianity gives a fairly coherent reason to value humans. I mean how is "treat others the way you would be treated" antihuman?

To follow on yes - the Bible does talk about "punishment" but I think the distinction I've made over the years is that it's punishment in the sense of actual justice, not in the sense of "I'm gonna whip you good!"  Maybe that is just a cultural thing; I am well aware that culture influences many things.

Another related question: so the idea of Karma and how it balances things out.  Is this like a fundamental force or something? I'm honestly intrigued by this.  Is 'morality' an actual physical thing that can be 'naturally' balanced by something like karma? If it is supernatural - what is the thing that balances it out? What decides if something falls on "side A" or "side B" in terms of the balance?

And to finish out my random thoughts for the night... regarding atheism / humanism: my general trouble with that philosophy is the concept of trying to establish a basis for anything other than hedonism or nihilism.  Compared to Christianity (of the sort I've been steeped in) where humans have value because they are in the image of God, if the universe is just a collection of physical laws, then why is preserving the species better than just living today with today's most enjoyment, future generations be damned?
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 21, 2018, 07:55:17 pm »

Empathy is a thing that exists regardless of god. Desire to improve things for humanity even after you're dead would be a combination of empathy for people whom you will never meet, and "memes" that would encourage growth, because memes that encourage growth are better at persisting than those that don't.

As per the value of humans... I value humans because I think they should be valued. I don't think "because god made them" is really a very good reason for humans to be valued, because that just means that it's god's opinion that humans are valuable. As separate entities we're allowed to disagree. Even if god is the most all-powerful, most all-good thing there is, I think we aught to be able to disagree with his vision, because there's no reason why he would be absolutely right and anyone who disagrees absolutely wrong.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 21, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »

Empathy is a thing that exists regardless of god. Desire to improve things for humanity even after you're dead would be a combination of empathy for people whom you will never meet, and "memes" that would encourage growth, because memes that encourage growth are better at persisting than those that don't.

As per the value of humans... I value humans because I think they should be valued. I don't think "because god made them" is really a very good reason for humans to be valued, because that just means that it's god's opinion that humans are valuable. As separate entities we're allowed to disagree. Even if god is the most all-powerful, most all-good thing there is, I think we aught to be able to disagree with his vision, because there's no reason why he would be absolutely right and anyone who disagrees absolutely wrong.
As far as memes and progression, that's just pure statistical mechanics; that's "this thing is better at persisting in this environment than another thing".  It's not "it is better that this thing persist than another."

As for opinion - note that the general theological stance isn't that "god has the opinion that humans are valuable." The theology is "god causes humans to be valuable".  That is - it's not an opinion, it's a matter of god imparting that property.  And because it's god imparting that value, it's much stronger than if a person values something.  That's the idea anyway: that the value of humans is outside the opinion of humans, and it's even outside mere memetics.

Incidentally, most religions, including Christianity, do allow you to disagree with God.  And this I think ties back to the earlier discussions about sticks; if you do disagree with God, you get to experience the outcome of that disagreement.  Similar to the fact that you can disagree with the laws of physics, but no amount of disagreement with them (or even how much you "like" them) is going to make perpetual motion possible.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 21, 2018, 08:37:28 pm »

Gravity isn't a thinking being though. God is. Gravity doesn't choose to hit you when you try to ignore it, it just does. God presumably has the power to act as a person and not a static set of rules, because He is consistently depicted as a person. He is therefore choosing to hit you when you disagree with him, which is simply rule.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 21, 2018, 09:09:55 pm »

So is it an argument that the concept of a god that exerts rule is somehow incongruent with the concept of a god in general? Or that there is incongruity between the concepts of justice and mercy?  Or because I claimed that I didn't think Christianity was all about the "stick"?  (Don't take my word for it, by the way... that is my opinion!  I would say that I think there is a concept of justice yes, but I don't think it's the focus of Christianity...)

I admit I'm kind of lost at the moment.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: May 21, 2018, 09:13:25 pm »

Your analogy that god’s law was same as physical law is what he was disagreeing with. Physics isn’t portrayed as aware and able to choose to act (or not) in any given situation, whereas god is portrayed that way.

One of the big things about god, for me, is this thing about giving people free will, but he’ll only like you if you do shit the way he said you should do them, else you’ll burn forever... which rather defeats the point of free will.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:15:23 pm by hector13 »
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: May 21, 2018, 09:50:25 pm »

Honest question here - I don't think I've ever heard Christianity described as "antihuman" here - can you explain?  To contrast, I find that Christianity gives a fairly coherent reason to value humans. I mean how is "treat others the way you would be treated" antihuman?
Humans don't have any potential for genuine freedom or choice in a Christian universe, because our existential qualities are entirely subsumed by God's will. God claims an absolute and eternal ownership over human destiny and human actions. We may be allowed a temporary choice to sin, but we will never be allowed to choose what is sin. And even this minor slice of relative freedom to sin or to not under God's paradigm is then obliterated by an eternity of torment/antitorment, an infinite extrapolation of a temporal decision.

There are other reasons I could list, but that's the ultimate reason why Christianity is antihuman. Humans have no meaningful existence in a Christian universe, we're not even able to take a title as wretched as being God's pets or slaves. We're treated mostly as extensions of God's own being, warts to be kept or lanced at God's sole mysterious digression.

To follow on yes - the Bible does talk about "punishment" but I think the distinction I've made over the years is that it's punishment in the sense of actual justice, not in the sense of "I'm gonna whip you good!"  Maybe that is just a cultural thing; I am well aware that culture influences many things.
As is increasingly clear as time goes on and we learn more about psychology and sociology, human behavior is not primarily or even at all due to people "being good" or "being evil". The Nazis were in reality as boring and mundane as any group of accountants rather than supervillians. Those who commit crimes have no inherent trait of "criminality" but do so for specific reasons, many of which are valid and even irresistible to any people in the same circumstances. And most damningly, what is treated as right and wrong is not consistent over time even if one appeals to the grander tides of societal acceptance and ignores the million spalls and currents within it.

And so the "final judgement" we see so often in the old religions begins to resemble less an ontological certainty of justice and more the desperate clawing of folk who saw themselves wronged and could not tolerate the idea that they would never get back at those who struck against them. "I'll show you", the temptation goes, "when the almighty god beyond the veil of death learns about what you did to me!"

And to finish out my random thoughts for the night... regarding atheism / humanism: my general trouble with that philosophy is the concept of trying to establish a basis for anything other than hedonism or nihilism.  Compared to Christianity (of the sort I've been steeped in) where humans have value because they are in the image of God, if the universe is just a collection of physical laws, then why is preserving the species better than just living today with today's most enjoyment, future generations be damned?
What is the "basis" for you liking one food and hating another, when I like the very thing you hate and hate the thing you like? The answer is not that one of us is damned to be flayed by demons forever due to an ontological scar of judgement across the cosmos . The answer is that some truths, and most truths regarding the philosophy of human beings, are dependent on a subject.

Even though one can never be more "correct" in an objective sense than any other, lines can be drawn between what is consistent and what is not, what leads to certain outcomes and what does not, and what is or is not practical. Through this process a subjective meaning may be gained.

It is not invalid or delusional to accept the evolution-built drive for survival and satisfaction as also being subjectively valuable, and it is similarly not invalid to value those lines of thoughts over ones where we, for example, all butcher each other in a self-directed genocide.

Your meaning will not be found burned into the cosmos. You aren't cosmic. You're a human, and your answers will be similarly human. We get to decide what is right and what is wrong. That's scary. Terrifying, in fact. But it's true, and ignoring the difficulty of the questions before us only allows the most ignorant and malignant to take the advantage.

I go further to say that objective existential meaning is logically impossible, even if God exists in any format asserted by anyone, ever. Even ontology and supremacy do not in any way then grant ultimate right to one being's opinion to the exclusion of all others. Not only that, but even if God existed, you could not perfectly (or even vaguely, as is apparent by the lack of God Sightings since the invention of video) know his will and thus you cannot even honestly attempt to follow this "objective meaning".
Incidentally, most religions, including Christianity, do allow you to disagree with God.  And this I think ties back to the earlier discussions about sticks; if you do disagree with God, you get to experience the outcome of that disagreement.  Similar to the fact that you can disagree with the laws of physics, but no amount of disagreement with them (or even how much you "like" them) is going to make perpetual motion possible.
You're allowed to disagree with the Mafia about this month's payment too, and equally allowed to "experience the outcome". That's nothing more than withdrawing responsibility to an "outcome" unrelated to an actor carrying out that same outcome.

This is one of the areas where atheist ethics has a clear and almost undeniable advantage. "Natural evils" are explainable and tolerable in an atheistic universe. Bad things are allowed to happen because we are caught up in a physical process that doesn't care about our existence or nonexistence. We should try to keep people from dying in hurricanes because that's only sensible and rational for the same reasons we try to keep people from dying in general. But we have no cause to rail against the hurricane, except perhaps from frustration and shame in ourselves for not finding a better answer before it was too late.

But in a theistic universe this changes completely. Hurricanes only exist because God created them. So do addictions, and existential ennui, and all the faults in the human brain that predispose us towards suffering, and parasites that eat children's eyeballs. God had the choice to create or not to create any source of natural evil, and so chose to create them. God cannot escape culpability for this action any more than a mob soldier can escape culpability for burning your house down with your family locked inside.

And while there are countless proposed answers to this culpability, the fact remains: You've got yourself an evil god, man. Doesn't matter which religion except the most deistic. Even then. Hell, Christianity's got a particularly bad boat here, because you can scripturally blame God for moral evils alongside natural evils due to him choosing to "harden hearts" and thus brainwash people into choosing to do evil when they otherwise would have done good.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 09:55:20 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: May 21, 2018, 10:07:13 pm »

that was set tho

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: May 22, 2018, 12:43:39 am »

Do you need a basis for anything other than hedonism or nihilism? There is significant overlap between what you would call evil and what I would call banal. Ultimately, preserving the species needn't be better than short-term hedonism for it to be worth doing; it's enough that it be more interesting. At least it's enough to keep me doing science, together with how fun it is and how happy it makes my friends and colleagues. I just don't need more than hedonism to motivate me to do things that other people might call good.

This is, I think, partially related to the idea of forbidden fruit, insofar as the immediately gratifying but ultimately destructive behavior presumably meant by the term "hedonism" appears a lot more mundane when it's just another option for how to spend your time, and there's a certain comforting durability to something being neither forbidden nor morally unthinkable but simply not interesting enough to be worth the effort and opportunity cost; one is not tempted to wonder "what if" when the most likely answer to "what if" being undesirable is the whole reason one isn't doing the thing in the first place. Thus, what you have framed as a question of what prevents people from doing destructive things appears to me to presuppose that they would be induced to do them in the first place, and from there it is usual for people in my position to wonder why religious devotees need warnings against pointless foolishness and for people in your position to wonder what there is to keep the irreligious from doing things they'll regret, and the flame wars start from there.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: May 22, 2018, 01:12:25 am »

If you need a fear of God to do good, then why should that God necessarily consider you to be good enough to get your reward? If you're good despite being seemingly unthreatened by God then why wouldn't that be worth actual bonus points once you (totally unexpectedly) actually meet your maker?

Being famously ineffable, one can't assume anything. See also the Aslan/Tash dichotomy of faithfulness and intent.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 01:14:01 am by Starver »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: May 22, 2018, 01:42:52 am »

If you need a fear of God to do good, then why should that God necessarily consider you to be good enough to get your reward? If you're good despite being seemingly unthreatened by God then why wouldn't that be worth actual bonus points once you (totally unexpectedly) actually meet your maker?

Because skydad doesn't like it when people aren't praising him?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: May 22, 2018, 05:20:10 am »

Because skydad doesn't like it when people aren't praising him?
Says who?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: May 22, 2018, 06:19:04 am »

As an atheist, I find self serving nihilism and hedonism to be poor substitutes for just living your life. We only get one, and it's all part of the human condition. Doing good, making mistakes, meeting people, losing them, changing and growing. Might as well live a normal life and do all the human things that make us who we are. Religious or not, human life is incredibly varied, interesting, and long, compared to most animals. You don't need to seek out ONLY pleasure cuz that will burn out your pleasure center. And being fatalistically nihilist is just... So fucking whiny. So what is nothing means anything? Get over it and be alive.

In short, variety is the spice of life. It's really easy to not believe in God and live a life without degenerating to nihilism or hedonism.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: May 22, 2018, 06:24:00 am »

Thus, what you have framed as a question of what prevents people from doing destructive things appears to me to presuppose that they would be induced to do them in the first place, and from there it is usual for people in my position to wonder why religious devotees need warnings against pointless foolishness and for people in your position to wonder what there is to keep the irreligious from doing things they'll regret, and the flame wars start from there.

What I was trying to say is that I believe if you frame religion as a mechanism for controlling people to have certain behavior, you've missed the boat.  Religion isn't about behavior, it's about relationship with God and with other people.  All the focus on "is this good or is this evil? Who gets to decide what is good or evil?" is secondary to the relationship aspect.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: May 22, 2018, 08:32:11 am »

You... honestly probably don't want to come at it at that angle. Tends to leave the divine looking abusive as all hell. Might actually be worse than tangling with the whole problem of evil mess, now that I think about it...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44