Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DF Europe World  (Read 6205 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
DF Europe World
« on: October 24, 2016, 02:29:38 pm »

New, improved version, with better (still imperfect) biomes and accurate volcanoes.
On DFFD here

In 3 sizes: Large, Medium, and Small (Large version shown above)

Spoiler: Old OP (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 11:38:39 am by Loam »
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
Re: DF Europe World
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 03:58:08 pm »

looks cool
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 09:31:19 am »

Is that Iceland in the top-left corner? Does it need a Katla volcano?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 10:48:47 am »

googling "biome map europe" will give you good results. The question is just how to map real life classifications to DF biomes. IIRC there was (at least) one that was based on rainfall and temperature, which might be a good fit for DF.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Silverthrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Old Geat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 04:52:53 pm »

It's good, I'd say. Close enough for Dwarf Fortress. Could do some pretty amusing games with that.

As for details, wood up Sweden and southern Norway a bit more. It's mostly just conifer forest all across, at least unattended. Maybe some plainlands in the middle of the British Isles, too. Oh, and volcanoes on Iceland.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 01:33:13 am »

Probably a rounding issue, but having a land bridge between Spain and Africa feels off; so does the one between Denmark and Sweden, though historically it was used to cross when frozen over during winter.

As far as biomes go, a biome map would be better, but I think most of central and southern europe has been clear-cut, iirc - on the map, Germany and France are half forest (then again, they used to be so during middle ages).

I'd also check for deserts in middle east, being that it used to be the cradle of civilization thousands of years ago.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 03:19:46 am »

Well if you want my opinion, I think Iceland is located a bit close to the UK.
But other than that, this is quite impressive.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 04:08:44 am »

Nice. Maybe the north of Scotland could use some mountains? Not sure what your cut off for mountains is a far as elevation goes, but Scotland is pretty mountainous.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 06:02:43 am »

Wales also, and arguably the Pennine spine, if not elsewhere around England (Devon/Cornwall moors, Mendips, Cotswolds, North York Moors, North and South Downs, etc).

It's been a while since I tried such editing, so I forget/never knew, but do you have control over exact bedrocks?
Something like this might be useful, if so.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2016, 02:18:43 pm »

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I made this with Perfect World DF, so relative elevation, wind direction (which determines rainfall), and drainage are about all I have control over, biome-wise. There is a Brush tool that can be used to spot-edit the map, but it's pretty finicky. I'll see what I can do, though.

Probably a rounding issue, but having a land bridge between Spain and Africa feels off; so does the one between Denmark and Sweden, though historically it was used to cross when frozen over during winter.
I thought about breaking those up, but I kind of like having a separate name for the different bodies of water; instead of just one "The Big Blue Water" all across the map, the Atlantic gets one name, the Mediterranean another, and the Baltic and Black seas likewise. It could also facilitate Adventure Mode travel, what with the lack of boats and all. But I'm not averse to splitting them apart.

As for mountains in Scotland/UK, those mountains are small enough compared to, say, the Alps, that they just kind of disappear. If I raise the cutoff generally, then unsightly things happen, like all of Spain being one huge mountain. But I could probably spot-edit some peaks in there. I don't know about plains, though.

Well if you want my opinion, I think Iceland is located a bit close to the UK.
It is. The heightmap has it so, since it's a "Europe" map; and otherwise, it'd be so far away that I'd have to extend the map dimensions accordingly, thereby reducing detail.
I don't know how much control over volcanoes I have, but I'll try putting a hotspot under Iceland.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2016, 10:47:34 pm »

Vanilla world painter will probably suffice for tiny changes, but for broad things like editing entire biome map you need more broad options to do them quickly and accurately.

On that note, you can get complete control of rainfall and drainage maps - see, perfect world doesn't let you add your own maps for those, iirc, but you can add them for elevation and then replace PS_EL with PS_RF or PS_DR in the resulting table and then replacing what it generated on it's own for rainfall/drainage.

You have absolute control over where volcanoes will spawn - just check the volcanism array, replace all instances of :100 with :99, and then add in 100 volcanism spots exactly where and only where you want a volcano, then ensure minimum volcano count is set to exactly that number.

rawrcakes

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2016, 04:13:45 am »

This looks awesome. I'd love to generate legends and play a few forts here.
Niding absolutely detests humans. || twitch.tv/onnings

Kathe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2016, 06:22:45 am »

Eliminate all deserts from Europe, except maybe Spain. Replace the one south of the Alps with plains. Still innacurate but not as muxh as it is now.

Nice job anyway!

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2016, 07:14:10 am »

See, dwarves are swiss not scottish. :)

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 05:54:37 am »