Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: DF Europe World  (Read 6203 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: DF Europe World
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 06:32:45 am »

WHY ARE THERE ELVES IN ENGLAND.
THEY'll BE OVER HERE IN IRELAND SOON.
READY THE TORPEDOES.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 09:09:45 am »

Well, Robin Hood fits the stereotype of elf more than human, dwarf or goblin I guess, if one is to draw (pseudo-)historical parallels.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 11:36:01 am »

Just because I personally think that global warming is real and that trees are required doesn't mean I'm a hippy. You can always replant trees, after all.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 10:47:53 am »

Ok, new map:

No deserts in Europe (at least Western Europe), mountains in Scotland, separated land bridges between Spain/Africa and Denmark/Sweden, also opened up the Bosphorus.

And, by popular request, volcanoes, approximately in their real-life locations.
There are nine of them, gathered from a Wikipedia list:
In Iceland we have Snæfellsjökull, Öræfajökull, Katla, Hekla, and Eyjafjallajökull. Italy has Vesuvius, Stromboli, Vulcano, and Etna.
Which, by the way, I'm surprised no one requested Vesuvius or Etna, since they're pretty famous volcanoes; but they're in now.

I'll put this up on DFFD, although I think my drainage map is still messed up - I can make out the Danube, but the other big rivers are kind of all over the place.
Also, fair warning, this map generates very slowly. I'm not sure how/if I could improve that. I think I'll make medium- and small-sized versions.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 11:29:46 am »

Neat.

I'm surprised to notice how much the civilizations prefer to build on rivers. Humans, sure, but elves and goblins too?

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 11:54:54 am »

PTW
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2016, 07:09:32 am »

Ok, new map:

No deserts in Europe (at least Western Europe), mountains in Scotland, separated land bridges between Spain/Africa and Denmark/Sweden, also opened up the Bosphorus.

And, by popular request, volcanoes, approximately in their real-life locations.
There are nine of them, gathered from a Wikipedia list:
In Iceland we have Snæfellsjökull, Öræfajökull, Katla, Hekla, and Eyjafjallajökull. Italy has Vesuvius, Stromboli, Vulcano, and Etna.
Which, by the way, I'm surprised no one requested Vesuvius or Etna, since they're pretty famous volcanoes; but they're in now.

I'll put this up on DFFD, although I think my drainage map is still messed up - I can make out the Danube, but the other big rivers are kind of all over the place.
Also, fair warning, this map generates very slowly. I'm not sure how/if I could improve that. I think I'll make medium- and small-sized versions.

Looks nice!

I'm not sure this helps at all but here is a Map of Forrest coverage over Europe.

http://www.efi.int/portal/virtual_library/information_services/mapping_services/forest_map_of_europe/

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2016, 12:29:28 am »

In the new map Iceland seems like a much nicer place. In the first map the place was a bleak glacier with naught but goblins for company.

Daniel the Finlander

• Bay Watcher
  • Making bacon pancakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2016, 07:46:07 am »

Ok, new map

Looking good. I especially like how accurate the Danube, Po and many Spanish rivers are, as well as North Africa's biomes (forest on coast and desert inland, pretty accurate).

Some oddities I noticed:

- Are you sure the Netherlands have correct height? Rivers start from there and go inland. Seems odd.
- Yup, the rivers need some work, esp. in Russia
- Russia needs more forests, not sure how you could increase precipitation there because it's so far inland
- Greece doesn't look very hill or mountainous
- You managed to generate the Peipus lake in Estonia, but where are Sweden's Vänern and Vättern?

In the new map Iceland seems like a much nicer place. In the first map the place was a bleak glacier with naught but goblins for company.

Are you saying that a lone fortress next to a mountain peak that is surrounded by glaciers and goblins isn't an amazing paradise?

You're not a true DF player. :P

I'm not sure this helps at all but here is a Map of Forrest coverage over Europe.

http://www.efi.int/portal/virtual_library/information_services/mapping_services/forest_map_of_europe/

I don't see how this would help. Europe had a lot more forests back in the early middle ages and was almost completely deforested before and after industrialization. Forests are recovering nowadays, but are nowhere near as expansive as medieval forests.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 08:05:08 am by Daniel the Finlander »
chances are their heads are being melted completely off due to pain forcing them to cry and tears don't evaporate so they just increase in temperature searing through the skull to the brain.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2016, 08:44:03 am »

It looks great! Please release it, I'd love to test it out. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2016, 03:26:02 pm »

Oh, it's already released. I just neglected to give a link:
Here you go.
I'll put that on the OP, too.

Medium and small versions... maybe at some point.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2016, 05:41:32 pm »

This looks like a great map. I always liked earth-based maps in games. I know what I'll be playing today :D

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 11:37:45 am »

Updated the DFFD download to include medium and small versions.
Pages: 1 [2]