Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: [IC] Lairds of Orren  (Read 7069 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Lairds of Orren
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2016, 05:28:38 pm »

Kat nodded and rose to leave.

"Pull the fish in before you eat supper. I understand, and I'll do my best, Ma'am."

Action: If it's possible, join Nix on his mini-quest, otherwise meet up with a random member of the group in whatever they are doing.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 18, 2016, 06:22:03 pm »

"Providing for your family is always worth the cost. Sounds like a good enough deal." Rathgar remarks, then falls silent for a few moments. "You notice anything strange going on in the village after the Seer showed up? I'm not questioning his motives, but something about the whole timing of his arrival and us showing up strikes me as odd. Might be because of the corpse we find before coming here. Desecrated, dissipated, and looked like it was used in some sort of dark ritual." Rathgar informs, keeping his voice quieter than normal so only the man near him could hear.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: November 18, 2016, 10:59:10 pm »

Brussen
Tyr, Nix, Kat

“Oh, it sounded more threatening than I meant it! I hope you do not have to use your skills in any great danger, but you know how the life of a warrior is; rife with unpredictability, dangers and scoundrels every which way. I just don’t want this victory to disarm you with heavy pride. After all, now you bear the burden of besting me, and so all your endeavors must be excellent, else I swoop down to retake my glory!” He hands you the amulet and gives a final bow to the crowd. “I’ll be here for some days, but if I don’t see you again, I wish you great luck in… Whatever it is the highlanders do!” He pats you one last time on the shoulder before heading back to the village.

Nix, on the other end of town, runs into Kat on the way to the ranger’s cabin. Perhaps an exchange of information is in order?

Brussen Lumber Camp
Rathgar

Your questions seem to strike up some discomfort in the man, who replies with hesitance. “I’m not one to be lookin’ a gift horse in th’ mouth, sir. Was me thinkin’ that the seers th’ one who looked for you lairds, so the timin’ seems right. As fer what ya found in the trees… Well, chilly stuff. But, damn if I’n be losin’ some compassion over the hardships, but dead bodies ain’t so strange with all these wild things about. If’n it was me, I’d be happy to see th’ seer if I happened upon dark magic things like that, forgive if I’m naďve.” He seems more concerned that he’s saying something foolish than he is of speaking of such things. Perhaps he doesn’t understand the implications, or he genuinely sees nothing suspicious with the events.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 18, 2016, 11:06:13 pm »

"Right. . . "

Yeaah I don't trust this guy. Follow him discreetly.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:28 pm »

"Greetings, Kat. Tell me, you've noticed a few odd things about this town, haven't you? Something's off about this town, about the seer, and about that damn torch. I want to know what visited the seer, how he got these "visions" of Orrin or whatever the hell he likes to call them.
Apparently there's a woman in this cabin, she found him, saved him from whatever monster or menace aided in his revelation.  Might need your help getting her to talk.  I'm not exactly all that eloquent." 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 18, 2016, 11:41:16 pm »

"We came here looking for one of our own. Hell, I'd only be half surprised if the poor sod strung up in that ritual was him. We didn't know about the Seer till we got here. As for the rest, maybe that's just my own bias. I've been fooled too often by a gift distracting me from the dagger someone was about to plunge into my back. I know you have no reason to do me a favor, but I'd like to ask one. If you do see anything odd around here or the village, let me or one of the other Lairds know first. We can't fight what we don't know about. And don't tell anyone about that dark magic I mentioned. " Rathgar responds to the man.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 19, 2016, 09:26:42 am »

"Greetings, Kat. Tell me, you've noticed a few odd things about this town, haven't you? Something's off about this town, about the seer, and about that damn torch. I want to know what visited the seer, how he got these "visions" of Orrin or whatever the hell he likes to call them.
Apparently there's a woman in this cabin, she found him, saved him from whatever monster or menace aided in his revelation.  Might need your help getting her to talk.  I'm not exactly all that eloquent." 

"That's a fine idea, Nix." She comments with a dry smile, tapping her forehead. She looks around, suspicious. "...There's no people more gossipy than clansfolks, trust me, I know. Let's find a quiet place to talk."

Once she had at least the illusion of safety, she opened up.

"I just came back from speaking to the woman in the cabin, and she gave me quite a story...impressed me quite alot, she did..."

Kat related the tale as best she could, only leaving out the parts that weren't meant for anyone who hadn't looked Naira in the eyes while she told it. Somethings needed to be kept personal.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161213.msg7265593#msg7265593

"I'd had an idea the Seer was merely a charlatan-a liar, if you don't ken the word-but, if he's got true dark magic about him, and the Rangers instincts are correct, he might be something quite a bit worse. He wouldn't be content with a village merely as a Lord, but as a wolf might hunger for sheep. I'm guessing he sent you to her, with a big performance about how unreliable anything she said was...? The best liars can make the truth bend every which way, so no one knows which is which...

It's likely Naira has gotten as close to the truth as anyone yet, and that must make him afraid. We're being led to this clearing for all our answers, and it makes me nervous as a honoon, reaching his paws into a crab trap."

Action: Kat tries to keep an eye out for followers and listeners in the woods, and tries to make sure they can't be easily overheard before talking to Nix and Tyr, btw
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 09:30:52 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 19, 2016, 04:11:06 pm »

"I agree, it feels like we're walking naked into a hornet's nest.  If the seer has manipulative intentions, he hides it well. I'm still not sure if his inspired preacher act is deceitful, or borne of madness. Whatever is going on, none of us should let down our guard.

Despite everything you've just said, I still want to see this clearing. If we reach the source of this trouble, we might be able to actually do something about it. At the very least learn more. 

This woman's brother, would you know where and when to meet him?  He's the only truly stolid lead we seem to have."

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 04:14:03 pm by NRDL »
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 19, 2016, 04:36:25 pm »

"She knows as much as the Seer, or more likely that's as far as would trust to say to me-the Rangers are out on a hunt, returning who knows when. They may be on business related to this we don't know how.

I suspect that's not a coincidence, with all that's going on, but she didn't give me the impression that she doubted he was going to return soon. I should have asked what urgent business took them out...so our only choice is to go find them-a tricky proposition, in these badlands, and us as strangers to their eyes. Or, wait till they come back. Naira did have faith they would, and she seems trustworthy enough.

Waiting's not an easy thing, though I lean toward that idea. I wouldn't want to leave Herra Pesc alone around here either, until he can defend himself at least. We've already lost one Laird left by his lonesome. Of course, while we're shooting holes in the sky, whatever evil is out and about will just keep crawling around. So no answer is going to be all right."

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 19, 2016, 04:46:00 pm »

"Damn it all, this is maddening. Fine, we wait, like you suggest. I'll head back and stand guard over our wounded comrade.  If you're planning on going by yourself about this village, keep your wits and weapons about you. Same goes for you Tyr. Vigilance, constant vigilance.

If you two see the rangers get back, let us all know. If anything happens to them, we'll know that we're being opposed and screwed around with."
, Nix says, before heading back to see how Pesc is doing.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 21, 2016, 01:22:10 am »

Brussen
Tyr

Being discreet comes easily to you, though it’s difficult when you’re the talk of the town. Still, you keep enough distance from the strange hedge knight, and he seems oblivious enough that you shadow him without trouble.

He does nothing especially suspicious, moving from building to building, stopping frequently to speak with passerby. His conversations are quick, full of rowdy laughs and jokes. He boasts when talking with men and speaks sweet prose to giggling women. Sometimes he draws a token from his bag, regaling some tale of chivalry or valour. Trailing behind him is easy, though he takes his sweet time getting to his destination. You end up at the hearthall, where he drinks with a group of men, continuing his boasts and stories. He ends up pairing with a bar wench, who takes him to her home. What happens there is easily assumed. You wait for some time in the shadows, but he never reappears. He might be there for a while…

Brussen Hearthall
Rathgar

“I try to keep t’ myself, don’t want troubles more than I have. I won’t talk t’ no one about the magic, better it buried.” He seems relieved to be done with the topic. You finish your work at the lumberyard, and head to the hall for some well-deserved drink. The men are simple in their wants, and talk for a time about life in the village, welcoming Rathgar to short games of chance or light conversation.

The man you spoke with, true to his word, doesn’t mention what you talked about. In fact, none of the workers seem interested in talking about the seer other than praising the woodwork of his project. If pressed about any strange goings on, Rathgar would get treated with simple shrugs or sentiments of hard times being familiar to the village.

Brussen Alchemist
Nix, Kat

Nix and Kat head to the place of Pesc’s recovery, the alchemist’s abode. It was slightly away from the main village, the pungent aura of medical mixes no doubt repelling common folk. Still, it was a good thing this village had such a practitioner. Several, in fact. Such happenings of foul poison use must be common to warrant such a flourishing trade.

The men and women of alchemy usher the lairds in without trouble, faces covered in wool masks. You find Pesc resting on a complicated bed, leg raised and covered in rags damp with some bitter concoction. He gave a weak smile at his fellows, but seemed much better than before. The treatment seemed to be working quickly, but the warrior was obviously uncomfortable being out of action. Even more so, one must presume, while in the hands of strangers.

The nearby doctors are kind enough to leave the group in peace as Pesc addresses his allies. “Good for you to come see me, though I wish I was on my feet. Not the best first impression of my skill in battle, eh? Embarrassing, letting the bugger get the better of me.” As he speaks, his eyes watch the alchemists. When they are some distance from the bed, he lowers his voice. “I hope you two have made some sense of this situation. What of our missing mediator, and this group of faithful I’ve been told of?”

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 21, 2016, 08:44:56 am »

Continue to wait outside for him to emerge.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 21, 2016, 09:33:17 am »

As he speaks, his eyes watch the alchemists. When they are some distance from the bed, he lowers his voice. “I hope you two have made some sense of this situation. What of our missing mediator, and this group of faithful I’ve been told of?”

"You've got time to listen, anyway...

There's no sign of our scout at all, aside from the personal effects we found. The villagers claim to have never met him. The villagers themselves seem to have fallen under the sway of some holy man, but the story I got might dim that somewhat..."

Kat quietly told the story the Ranger told her, once again, about how she had rescued a man from the forest from terrible beasts-about the hollowed eyed wolf-and how, at the end, she was sure the man she had rescued was not the man she woke up beside. That maybe he was some sort of an imposter, and how she believed he had dark designs for the village.

"We've been told of a secret place, a grove I think, where we might find answers to these mysteries. But, that leaves us waiting for the Rangers to return and lead us there. What business they are on, we don't know, though I was given the impression they were returning soon enough. All in all, the only thing we know for sure is something isn't right here.'

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 21, 2016, 04:12:48 pm »

"In the meantime, we'll stand guard. If the villagers turn on us, you'll be their easiest target.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 29, 2016, 05:52:50 am »

Pesc hangs onto Kat’s words, chewing on each new bit of information with care. The news of some deception didn’t surprise him, but mention of the dark wolf disturbed his firm expression. He kept listening, teeth gritted, thinking quietly for a time after Kat concluded her story.

“This wolf… Black eyes and teeth. We have to assume the worst, even if unlikely—if this ranger really saw it, it means…” he holds his words even longer, unsure of how to continue. Bracing the side of his bed, Pesc pulls himself up in a quick motion, leveling his gaze with the present lairds. “This makes things more dangerous, above our heads. That ‘wolf’ sounds like a stalker, a beast that only spawns of the old evil. The end evil, of Orren’s time.” He adopts a grave, serious look while speaking, more serious than you’ve seen. “It’s rare, of course, but you’ve heard the stories. Orren scoured the world, but even he couldn’t wipe all of it out. Some pieces remain, and there’re always horrible men willing to use the power.” He doesn’t bother lowering his voice any more, speaking plainly so there is no mistake of his meaning. “You cannot go to the place of the attack. Stalkers are hard to read, might be he never returns… But there is no point risking a confrontation. If I was healthy, I would have us march back to the stronghold right this second and report him. But…” He looks at his wound, contemplating a course of action. “This other place that the ranger spoke of, the ritual ground, might bear fruit. Look it over, and if you even think the place looks like the work of old evil, you’ll return here immediately. And for the sake of any gods there are, be damned careful.” Kat and Nix are dismissed a time later, more able to identify sure signs of the end evil.

The return of the rangers brought more complexity to the situation. Their leader, estranged from the prophet and his vision, showed a clear distaste for the lairds, but no overt hostility. He and his did not deign to confront the lairds personally, but gossip reflected the animosity in no uncertain terms. There was no time to act on it, however, since the injured ranger and her brother sought the lairds for their mission immediately. Rathgar found his way from the hall, and Tyr had to abandon his investigation to meet up with Kat and Nix.

Together, the lairds rested for the night at the ranger’s cabin, so that they could search the site with the morning light’s aid and protection. Both Naira and her brother Kurt made little conversation, besides quick introductions and short plans. Naira seemed fully invested in searching the site, perhaps overzealous, but Kurt lacked enthusiasm. Instead of animosity, Kurt kept an air of cautious distance when around the lairds. Not only that, but he said outright that he worried for his sister’s safety, and thought this folly better left alone. She would not relent, and so his agitation with the lairds only grew.

Brussen Outskirts
Tyr, Nix, Kat, Rathgar

The canopy kept much of the morning sunlight from the lairds, but enough of it penetrated the trees to prevent ambushes. At least, one hoped. The surreal sensations of overt magic persisted, but their time in the village acclimated them well. The ever present buzz of energy and subtle nausea felt less threatening, but still off putting.

The cold of night slowly withdrew, but a fine mist reminded the lairds of the early hour. When they arrived at the site, the dew had mostly settled. Kurt keeps his distance as Naira paces the grounds with the lairds. Clearly, this place hosted someone with arcane interests. Twine figures hang from branches and a fine powder covers the area. In places, the powder forms vague shapes and runes, but time has disturbed much of the writing. None of the group claim great magical knowledge, but a few are knowledgeable enough to recognize a fault with the ritual. Specifically, the site lacks the burns and residue indicative of most magics. Most spells, especially those conducted in nature, leave obvious marks that are hard to remove. Simply put, the spell is half baked. The place is either the result of a failed or incomplete spell. Kat and Nix, keen to look for any signs of end evil, find no such evidence.

When this comes to light, Kurt asserts that the camp is the same as he found it. At first, it seems like the place has been abandoned for some time, but searching thoroughly reveals two sets of tracks. One, a human’s, goes back in the direction of the village, but a more obvious set belongs to a group of creatures. Kurt quickly identifies the tracks as those belonging to the common ratplac, a pack creature of meagre intelligence. 

The ratplac tracks, being plainer and more easily followed, lead only a small distance away, to a cave by a stream. Kurt halts at the entrance, frowning at the totems and markings on the cave’s mouth. “Ratplacs aren’t smart, or strong, or particular hardy. But they are remarkable cowards. When cornered, especially in their dens, they are unpredictable. I’m not risking my skin any further. If you like, enter the caves, but Naira and I will wait here.”

“Kurt, this can undo that damned burned man!” Naira insists, gesturing broadly to the cave. “He’s got to be part of this, and here’s our only chance to lift the wool from everybody’s eyes.” She tries to hide her fervor, but her dogged determination seems foolish when considering her injuries. Their argument continues, and it leaves the lairds to decide what must be done.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11