Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: [IC] Lairds of Orren  (Read 7060 times)

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
[IC] Lairds of Orren
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:08:01 pm »

Hiking down the border mountains, one had to feel a sense of foreboding. The safety of castle Crestwen, newly reclaimed by the Lairds of Orren, lay out of reach, and the wildlands in the valley below threatened to swallow bold travellers whole. The dark, verdant expanse of nature known as Glutton’s Gate hosted so many other threats… Lawless rough folk left behind after the world’s end dotted the landscape with scarce hints of their existence. Abhorrent animals touched by magic, left unchecked after the fall of man, mutated and spread wildly. Of course, dormant pieces of evil remained an ever present threat in the haunted dreams of the lairds, who would stop at nothing to see it fully eradicated.

These threats could not be extinguished by any one man, but for Orren. Luckily, men and women who honor his ways did not plan on hiding behind Crestwen’s walls. The fortress atop the mountains was more than a stronghold. It illuminated a path northward, and stood as a bold proclamation of laird ambition. Eventually, Crestwen would be a waypoint on the journey across the valley. Glutton’s Gate and the unknown north would surrender their secrets to the lairds in time.

For the now, the lairds were tasked with the unenviable labour of probing the Gate. While Creswen underwent restoration, and more lairds filtered northward, those that could be sent ahead of the elites would prepare the Gate for an inevitable scouring.

Survey and reconnaissance could not be counted among the laird’s strengths. Their dedication and ambition were as unquestioned as their thirst for glory. Most counted among the leadership dedicated themselves to creating arcane strategies or chasing horrendous evils. It was up to the recruits and older soldiers to sully their hands with logistical concerns. A hike down the mountain to the lairds forward scouting camp demonstrated this imbalance. The camp ebbed and flowed with the whims of elder lairds, where they could be found. Young recruits and inexperienced mercenaries did what they were told, then twice more when an elder wasn’t satisfied. Guard shifts were constant and dense, but it did little to sooth the paranoia of inexperience. Those fears would have to be abandoned, though, as a large number of the lairds were preparing to survey the ruined sister city to Crestwen.

Such preparation was tiring work, but nine initiates dodged their responsibilities by the grace of an unknown patron.

The group was expected to meet in a tent on the edge of camp, but it was early. Still, one laird had already arrived. He wore the light garb of a commoner, small holes marred his tunic and shoes. However, a ring of twigs and roots wrapped around his arm placed him as a sort of magician, but a wild one. Dirt covered his hands and face, but his scent was muted and earthen, completely inoffensive.

He sat in a meditative state in the center of the room, facing the entrance. Others would show up soon, he was sure.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] Lairds of Orren
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 10:21:15 pm »

Tyr walks into the tent and takes a seat. While he waits for the others to show up, he twirls a small knife deftly between his fingers.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 10:58:58 pm »

Nix trudged half-wearily into the tent and sunk down to the ground, cross legged.  Not being very experienced with traversing more rugged terrain, the hike had been murder on his heavy legs. 

Inside he saw two others.  Not wanting to make the first move in conversation, he bowed his head downwards and shut the world out, as he liked to do to pass the time.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:20:49 pm »

Rathgar enters the tent and greets the others with a nod of his head before moving over to stand by the right wall of the tent. With a slight scowl on his face, he crosses his arms across his chest and surveys the interior of the tent to pass time until someone shows up to tell them what to do. He wouldn't be happy if this turned out to just be another logistical task. He didn't care if it was "for the greater good", he was sick of the busywork that didn't even let him go into the forest.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 08:38:42 am »

The Bard of Rad River can be very quiet, when she wishes to be. The slender young woman with the many tattoos enters the tent with hardly a noise. She seemed lively and awake-the march hadn't been much worse than she was used to doing on her own, and in any case she had charmed one of her fellow lairds into sharing his saddle with her, easing the miles.

She did immediately seem a bit agitated by the presence of the 'magician', no doubt due to some bad experiences...

Kat felt no need to be the first to speak, instead tending to her instrument. In a few moments, the still silence of the tent was broken by the sound of deft toolwork and the tightening of strings, sanding of wood, and squeaking of metal joints. She had a barely concealed fear that one day her instrument might either fall apart, or be broken beyond repair, so she was constantly tinkering with it. You couldn't exactly be a Bard with an instrument, and somehow she knew the skills that had gone into making it was likely beyond her, and the vast majority of wasteland dwellers-perhaps, even the Lairds themselves. Even if repaired, that perfect sound she had become used to would likely never be exactly the same...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 09:11:40 am »

Rohan finds a seat, and takes it.  A book in hand.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »

Kat decided the silence was getting decidedly uncomfortable. She placed not-weapon carefully aside.

"So...did all break their fast, well upon this morning?" She ventured, using old waster lingo.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 04:35:17 pm »

If you're asking if we ate yet, yes. I had a nice plate of bread and chews and a cup of hot coffee.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 04:43:18 pm »

She nodded.

"I went for the beans. And, what they told me as was Pork, but I am not entirely trusting any meat I did not cut myself."

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:23:03 pm »

Yeah, those "cooks" will call anything pork. I one saw them chop up a cat and put it in the soup.

Glory to United Forenia!

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 11:00:01 pm »

"Hmm, Yes."
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2016, 08:16:16 am »

Yeah, those "cooks" will call anything pork. I one saw them chop up a cat and put it in the soup.

"Cat's meats would been an improvement, a'times." actual Kat says mysteriously.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2016, 06:40:40 pm »

The small talk seemed to have little effect on the meditating man in the middle. In fact, close inspection would reveal the man to be unbreathing, unblinking. After a few minutes, a faint rain could be heard outside, slowly gaining into a melodious patter of raindrops cascading upon the tarp. At the first distant thunder clap, the man inhaled sharply.

"Oh, this will be a harsh rain," the man whispered as he rose from the floor. His eyes peered into the distance, passed the tent and far in the direction of the thunder. After some stretches, he finally acknowledged the others. "Sorry! I was in the skies... You must be the lot Pesc sent after. Consider yourselves lucky, you'll be learning a lot on this trip." He grabs a worn satchel from the edge of the tent and retrieves a few items: a carrot, a few potatoes, and a handful of beans. He continues to speak while cutting the vegetables into small pieces. "I assume you five haven't been acquainted with one another? I wouldn't think so, it's quite disorganized out there. But you will get to know each other in due time. The things in that forest... Well, you'll learn to work together or be forced to die together." Another thunder clap, this time closer.
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 06:48:36 pm »

So then, could you tell us why we've been summoned?

Glory to United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2016, 06:50:09 pm »

Kat was obviously discomforted.

"...Well, that's sure something, for starting off on..." She commented

Tyr asked the question they all were going to, so she fell silent and listened instead.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11