don't
- 2 (28.6%)
have
- 1 (14.3%)
time
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: ☼Masterwork☼ human RUIN: Shielgates. Reclaiming experiments  (Read 21854 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: ☼Masterwork☼ human city: Shielgates.
« Reply #90 on: November 17, 2016, 11:20:05 am »

MADNESS!

Who runs this place? How can a town succumb to such a chaos?

I, Copnut Stipothcil, rightfully elected mayor, can no longer abide such nonsense. Even though I was elected by a handful of retarted drunks in the tavern, I'll beat the living shit out of these fuckwits for running this place into the ground.

We have no standing military, yet three (!!) open bridges to the countryside and a completely unprotected (!!!) entry to the deep and dark caverns below. There is no wall at the river, any invader that can swim even a little bit can just massacre us. Or better yet, just pick us off by bow and arrow. Worse yet, the bridges we use as doors have no moats! Any slightly-larger creature can just raze them.

The town has only one noble, me, and not even my humble requirements are met. No trader... No broker... No bookkeeper... Not even a militia captain, no doctor. How long have we been here? 2 full years?

Someone managed to scorch the surface inside the fort walls... no idea how that happened.

A look at the stocks shows that we have plenty of food, and someone elected to make 1000 wooden arrows. For our grand military of 2 leaderless, skill-less recruits.

So... lets get this party started.

Edit:

Oh... OH!... Right! RIGHT!... we have mangled corpses laying around everywhere. A legendary carpenter, but no buckets to bring water to the wounded. AND THE WOUNDED ARE ALSO JUST LAYING AROUND EVERYWHERE; BECAUSE WE HAVE NO HOSPITAL!!! NOT EVEN COUNTING THE THREE PEOPLE THAT STAND STARVING AND THIRSTY ON A RANDOM ROOF; BECAUSE NO ONE BUILD AND STAIRS!

*KICKS IMAGINARY BUCKET!

Dear Ase and Egesh, please give me the strength to continue. While I cant properly pray to any of you, because we have no temple (and no tavern or library), and NO DAMN TRADERS, *huff *huff, HOW SHOULD WE BE A PROUD MERCHANT RACE WITH NO TRADERS?! ...

Calm down, Copnut, calm down. Everything will be ok.

All will be all right.

AMBUSH! THE ELVES ARE HERE!

Egesh damn it.

Edit: (OOC: Ok, seriously now, who build that bridge that is 1z level above the rest, with a lever next to it, that is in clear line of sight to any enemy standing on the other side?)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 12:01:29 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2016, 01:38:51 pm »

Edit: (OOC: Ok, seriously now, who build that bridge that is 1z level above the rest, with a lever next to it, that is in clear line of sight to any enemy standing on the other side?)
DON'T TALK THAT WAY ABOUT MY WONDERFUL BRIDGE!
(The lever was to be hidden by the river wall which was never completed)
 I'm still trying to sort out how our wonderfully drunk second overseer managed to burn everything down but i'm starting to see clearer in this mess.
Soon an update!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:41:11 pm by IlFedaykin »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #92 on: November 17, 2016, 07:20:58 pm »

THAT BRIDGE IS A DEATHTRAP!

JUST LIKE THE LONG, SPIRALING UP/DOWNSTAIRS NEXT TO A GIANT PIT. NOT A GOOD PLACE TO FIGHT BASILISKS AND GREATER SKELETONS THAT COME UP FROM THE CAVERNS!

WHICH TOTALLY DID HAPPEN!

(The mayor single handedly killed that basilisk though, good for her. Must be the rage)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:20 am »

I'm still trying to sort out how our wonderfully drunk second overseer managed to burn everything down but i'm starting to see clearer in this mess.
Soon an update!
Expedition leader noticed crab in 1 level of caverns, wanted to kill him, climbed down to him trough breach in main staircase and got killed himself. Then one of archers and random peasant noticed that crab too, climbed down, and finally killed him. Then they got stuck in cave, because dwarfs\humans\whatever can climb to save their life from big and nasty enemy, but can't climb to just get to somewhere. Then i sent miner to dig tunnel to them. Then they walked into this tunnel back to fort. Then "Giant saurian sages" noticed this tunnel and walked into it ,too. Then saurian sages start fighting on a surface. Then one of them throwed lighting into grass. Then this grass burned down. Easy.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:23:23 am by MCreeper »
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #94 on: November 18, 2016, 06:13:29 am »

Unfortunately labor has been slow, due to killing 6 iron-clad elven ambushers with an unarmed mob of peasants, so the cavern entry was still open.

Monsters came up.

I took out one myself, attacked the mighty basilisk while it was near our mining pit. It dodged to its death.

The greater skeleton however, that took 3 of us with him down... and another 5 died fighting the elves. More than half the town is injured and in bed, waiting for the survivors to make splints and crutches.

I prayed to Egesh for more men, for help, and my prayers were heard. The next group of colonists arrived. 30 in total, only 1 kid. Perfect! New hope!

My current aim is to recuperate from the losses, finally build a deserving resting place for the dead, and establish a market place.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2016, 01:09:23 pm »

Plant-looking goo...evil dust?

Frilly skirt...Is Beauty!

Sapphire golem could be dangerous. Sapphire should be really fragile, but...
Lol @ cage trap end. Webbed traps?

Lizardmen, something out of .23a?
Guess not.
Yay for slaughter.

Quite a bit of progress

Lol@Meph

"Raze", you mean make them explode by weight?
I suppose that'd be beneficial time for moat.

*amused at teleporting dragons*

*amused at chaos*

Somehow, I get more of an idea of MCreeper's fort through your report. I guess one doesn't report things out of the ordinary.

Nice euphenism with labor slowdown.

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2016, 07:27:12 am »

Any news, Meph?
Rest of the sigs
The helicopter is rent apart by the collision, its steel unable to resist its inevitable reunion with the ground, and the meat within is smashed by the crumpling cockpit beyond any practical hope of recovery. What comes up, must come down again. Ore and ape, returned to mother planet's embrace.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2016, 04:40:41 pm »

I've been busy working on the graphics, but I'll continue some more today. :)

Edit: I'm on late summer now. Everything is going well.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 09:00:48 pm by Meph »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2016, 09:13:40 pm »

Bi-Yearly report by your beloved mayor, Copnut, ☼legendary trader☼.

I have been re-elected this year!

Great, that means more work can be done. First order of business was allowing bauxite to be used. No use if its set to economic stones, just because its magma-safe. We wont work magma for many years, we are no dwarves after all.

I ordered half a dozen brick-splitting-blocks erected near the bauxite, and told the miners to mine all the ore they can access. We also rescued a wall-in sergeant down in the mines. No idea how he got stuck.

With bricks at our disposal, I set the blueprints down for 2 more guild-halls with extensions, and for 3 more houses. 1 large dorm for the migrants, 1 for the nobles and 1 for whatever happens next.

We have build more caskets than we have dead, and gave all our fallen heroes a worthy burial. I know its a bad omen, but I even ordered caskets surplus, so that we are prepared if anything else bad happens in future.

Two of the bridges have been razed and walled shut. The +1zlevel bridge we keep, but its drawn shut at the moment. All traps at the former entries have been disassembled and build again at the main entry. The caverns are closed, with the indistructable artefact door.

One of our jewelers had a fey mood and made a PERFECT SAPPHIRRE! Amazing artwork!

Our heavily-defended allies came with a caravan and I sold our most expensive prepared meals for more raw-food, cages, animals and weapons/armors.

I also ordered 4 more forges and smelters to be build, to make use of all that ore. So far we made 20 iron breastplates, 20 iron helmet, 20 iron greaves, 10 iron battle axes, 10 iron long swords, 30 wooden shields, 30 leather backpacks, 30 leather waterskins and we are working on the iron boots now. With the ammo, spears and quivers we already had, we should be able to equip between 20-40 fully-armored and armed soldiers soon. NEVER AGAIN SHALL WE BE TAKEN UNPREPARED!

We are working on a grand road and entry-way for caravans to come and trade... and a permanent bridge across the river. A moat is in planning too, but the miners seem too busy with everything. We have between 5-10 novice miners atm.

All the newly bought animals have been butchered, to create more raw-food for the cooks and leather for the tanners. Soon the tanners-guild shall be done, which allows us to harden the leather, producing relatively good armor for our archers.

The second guild I build is the merchants guild... now we can exchange copper and silver coins and request caravans. Even orcish, goblin, succubi or kobold caravans. Thats important, if we ever want to build foreign traders and get access to their gear.

Speaking of traders: The surplus of blocks allowed us to build the 15 local merchant stalls, that buy and sell all basic goods. Now we only need more money... I started selling chitin and scale, and silver/platinum ore, and some other unused things... gems and the like.

Our busy masons also bricked shut all water inside the fort, with the exception of 5 wells. The southern wall, blocking sight across the river, has been long finished too!

All in all, a good 6 months, besides the strange start.

Lets hope for the best

(OOC: I also updated the graphics to the almost newest version. Vermin still look strange, but for example all plants have unique tiles now)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2016, 11:30:51 pm »

Who set bauxite to economic? Magma-safe rock...Is like 1/3 of all rock? Pretty common.

- Heh...Rock is useful, but mining? Hm.

- Amazing artwork *amused*

Keep it in workshop and designate that area for jeweler's room so it increases room value?

- Iron? No flux, I take it?

But sounds like you're going for "everyone is armed and armored".

-  I guess bricks are much more needed for humans.

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2016, 09:23:57 am »

Setting aside role playing for a second...
-on the southern side of the river there is flux
-i forgot humans can't extract aluminum from bauxite
-i really don't know how you managed to do all that stuff in six months... excess of manpower?
-if you floor over waterpools they don't refill so i guess you linked the wells to the river too?
- can you finish the outer wood wall on the south side of the river? It was planned to be a square city, river bridge was just temporary
-thank you for updating graphics
-Are you by chance also taking screenshots?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2016, 10:10:47 am »

Square city, like Ankh-Morpok?

IlFedaykin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2016, 10:53:12 am »

Square city, like Ankh-Morpok?
actually it was more because i have serious issues with symmetry than anything else   ;)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2016, 05:19:55 pm »

You'll dislike the non-symmetry that I use in my approach. :D

I'll take screenshots and should be able to upload the safe later today, or tomorrow.

PS: I get so much done because all humans have all labors enabled and there are 0 idlers at all times. and we had 3 migration waves.

Edit: It is winter... almost done. :)

Edit2: More write-up:

Shieldgates - Autumn and Winter

The heavily armed allies, the dwarves arrived for trading! We sold some more food and got a lot of picks and some random items.

Our miners are digging exploratory shafts to find more gold and gems. We sold several rubies for the whopping price of 2500 gold each, which enabled us to fully upgrade the Merchants guild and the Academics guild; as well as the Tanners guild to the second highest grade.

The Academics guild now allows us to make soap, artificial gems, transmute metals, make flux and copy foreign weapon and armor designs. :)

The moat and walkway on the second level around the wall is finished, as well as the merchants entry and traps.

In winter we invited the orcs and the goblins to trade, but did not get many good items in return. We really have to talk to their liaisons first, to order good stuff. At least their caravans have guards, so we are a lot safer right now, with all those heavily armed fighters around.

I started engraving slabs to all our fallen heros. Especially "MEPH" got a prominent place in our hall, the "lover of gems" is now surrounded by gem windows, with the foe that smote him down, the Sapphire golem, locked up right behind the slab.

Cleaning the refuse we have takes some time. I started making ash from vermin remains, totems from skulls, decorate shell and pearl crafts, and use bones to make bonemeal, a flux alternative.

The tanners guild is busy turning all our leather into hardened leather, one day in the future we can start making armor for our archers.

And now my time is up... Spring has come. Everyone is busy and I wish the fort the best!

Save: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12584
(Note: Since I updated the graphics, I packed the data/init and data/art folder too. You need to replace the files in the one you currently use. I'll post screenshots later. I'll also write some notes for the next overseer, things of importance that are currently happening.)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 05:55:29 pm by Meph »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2016, 06:28:14 pm »

The merchant way, a semi-open pathway that forces caravans to spawn at its end. The "walls" of the merchant way are checker-board walls that allow vertical movement past them (so creatures can move through it), but does not allow wagons through it. The checker-board is mixed with channels (which stop fire), and cage-traps (which stop invaders, a bit).

The walls block line-of-sight almost entirely and stop arrows as well.

1. The entry. If you think forcing caravans to spawn here is cheating, just lower the bridges.
2. A cage-trap floor-bridge across the river. Allows free movement on the map. One of two bridges across it.
3. Walls as protection from line-of-sight of invaders south of the river.
4. Campfires. Set the surface on fire, if you encounter larger problems.
5. These two traps are weapon traps with large serrated discs. Most invaders, especially from north/n-east/n-west will walk across it.
6. Main pathway towards the fort, across a moat.
7. The checker-board walls. Not quite done, more traps/channels missing.

(This type of screenshot ok?)

1. War animals and lots of cage traps. I hope for a bit of chaos, if a fight breaks out here. Things slow down, fall into the moat, stumble into traps, get distracted by animals. Thats right before the bridge that we can close.
2. Drakes. Last line of animal-defense.
3. downstairs to a store-room for cages... for quick reloading of cage traps. We have about 30-40 empty cages as backup.
4. 15 5x5 merchant stalls. buy/sell all kinds of basic goods.
5. Human gunsmith and merchant. Next to it on the right are carpenters and a currently empty wood stockpile.
6. emergency exit. A second bridge, on the second z level. Direct access to the southern part of the map. You can lead invaders round and round...
7. farmer shops. currently making thread from hair.
8. main hall with trade depot, also lockable.

1. The trade depot, surrounded by garbage and stuff.
2. 3 loaded ballistas, aimed at the gate.
3. animals and nest boxes
4. young animals, just waiting for them to grow up, so that they can be butchered.
5. wells! important. they have access to the river.
6. crematories, trying to cope with the refuse and bodies around.
7. leatherworkers, butchers, tanners and kitchens. Mostly churning out leather, tallow and lavish meals.

On the left, ground floor: Academics guild lvl5. Has a soap maker, alchemist, transmutation chamber and inventor. It can copy foreign items (like orc katanas or succubi leather corsets), make soap, artificial gems, flux, transmute metal bars, make wildfire (exploding!) ammo and more.

Center, second floor: memorial hall, with Mephs slab in the center, flanked by gem windows. Its also a zoo, with one inhabitant: The sapphire golem that killed Meph.

On the right, ground floor: lots of smelters, forges and wood furnaces. Coke, bar and coin/iron armor production. I made iron because we had no flux... now we can slowly make flux in the alchemists chambers.

As you can see, the entire fort is walled in, with a 2 story high wall, with a 2-paces wide walkway around it. There is a 7/7 moat around the wall too, so no one can scale it.

Large sections have been floored, even in the second floor, because it will be used in future for living space.

1. Massive area that can be used for rooms. I planned barracks here, with towers for the archers, overlooking the approach to the main entry.
2. Tanners guild. making special leather, currently busy with "hardening leather". That will be used for archers armor.
3. brick splitting blocks. thats were all the blocks come from.
4. jewelers. gems sell well.
5. public park. if you ever have someone really unhappy, he can play with toys there... like playing football, etc.
6. smiths guild. it has an armory and weaponry, so you can improve the quality modifier of your gear.
7. MERCHANTS GUILD!!! you can call migrants. diplomats. caravans. and exchange coins. VERY IMPORTANT!!!
8. Another massive area that can be used for rooms. I wanted to build living space here, with nice rooms.
9. second story of the main hall, above the trade depot. It has 4 sections: noble quarters, food stocks, kitchens, and dining room.

Notes for the next overseer:
 - Nobles require a lot of stuff.
 - Military does not exist. But I made armors/weapons for 40 men at least.
 - Fort is currently fairly secure, because goblins/orcs with guards are there.
 - Lever for the main gate is next to the trade depot.
 - There are surplus coffins, if you have issues.
 - Hospital is missing.
 - There a lots more slabs to be engraved. memory hall is not finished.
 - miners currently look for new metal veins/gem clusters. Check on them periodically.
 - Barely any stockpiles... didnt have time to clean up much.
 - Barely any money left, I spend it all on guilds.

I'm the mayor... so please check what COPNUT the mayor is doing now and then. She is also the trader. :) Please dont dwarf this dwarf to someone else.

We are 69 humans. About 10 died during my turn, at the very start, fighting unarmed against a ferric-elf ambush, and a basilisk and greater skeleton from the caverns.

Food is at least 1000... and we have unlimited water from wells.

Wealth is around 1mio.

Suggestion: Use the "call migrants" option, and start building a standing army of 20-40 men, and build archery towers with fortifications.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:07:12 pm by Meph »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15