Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2: DBZXV2LMNOPQRSTUVW. That's Time Travel baby.  (Read 10486 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Oh yes, it's time again.

Wait, what? Seriously I didn't expect the sequel this soon but here it is, out for PS4/XBone/PC on October 28th. You can already pre-order on Steam.

Here's a boatload of coverage from a place I've never heard of called Saiyan Island.  (I imagine it's a lot of dudes with big hair and no shirts shouting and flexing a lot.) Follow the links at the bottom of the page for additional coverage.

http://www.saiyanisland.com/2016/10/dragon-ball-xenoverse-2-first-look-at-goku-black/

Xenoverse 1 was a good game, in my opinion. The best DBZ fighting game ever? Hardly. But it had a lot of content to play through and it was enjoyable building a fighter, customizing them and then playing with all the different attacks and abilities to craft your ideal Z-Fighter. I had a lot of fun playing through it with a friend.

The game had some weaknesses though. Namely that the fighting was rather spammy and unrefined compared to Tenkaichi or Raging Blast. Blocking was not a thing that worked hardly ever, Beam Clashes were not a thing, the Parallel Quests (which were the real meat of the game next to the campaign) were occasionally frustrating to try to complete due to the LOL-Randomness of different steps in individual PQs. Online battles rarely seemed to work and when they did they were all sorts of dumb restrictions or the absence of restrictions; like you couldn't turn off the fight timer and the game didn't really try to match people of equal power levels so curb stomping happened with regularity.

Some but not all of that will be addressed in the sequel. Watching some footage, here's what I can say.
    • A lot appears to be recycled from DBZXV1. Which is ok. There are so many "iconic" parts of DBZ that it doesn't make a lot of sense to remodel every single character, have them revoice all their lines and their attack barks. That shit would be expensive. Still, I recognize a lot of re-use from DBZXV1 in terms of models, hair styles, faces, all that jazz.
    • The fighting is fundamentally the same in DBZVX2. Didn't see a lot of surprises there. But...
    • It seems faster and the camera movement seems tighter.
    • There is a FUCKLOAD more teleporting possible. I'm not really following how it works at the moment, but it seems to be that it no longer runs off stamina bars. In some matches I watched the two opponents were regularly teleporting far more than in DBZXV1. It still amounts to about the same thing (one player attacks, the other teleports, the teleporting player counter attacks, the original attacker teleports, rinse and repeat....) But there seems to be less "Teleport twice then get your ass handed to you" that pretty much defined how combat in DBZXV1 worked.
    • Super Saiyan Transformations don't appear to need to be maintained anymore (no longer appears to just deplete your Ki Bar while active.) I read something to the effect of "how strong the SS Transformation is depends on what your Ki level is when you activated it."
    • New Hub city. It's purportedly 7x bigger than Toki Toki City. Which, Toki Toki City wasn't all that big. But it's big enough they're going to let us FLY, finally, inside city limits. 300 people will be able to share the same instance of the city at once. There are also mentions of a 2nd hub city.
    • There's going to be more questing and exploration of the city than in DBZXV1. Initially you won't get to fly, you'll be issued a car to drive around. (A subtle play on the episode where Goku tries to get a driver's license? Maybe.) The goal is they want you to explore the city in a certain order before you get the ability to fly and access other, new areas and things to explore. Sounds cool, I guess. DBZXV1 was 99% Campaign and Parallel Quests, and 1% running around Toki Toki shopping. So it will be nice to have a more MMO-like space to chillax in and do stuff. They're hoping people are able to be more social than in DBZXV1....which I guess depends on whether we're still restricted to only being able to communicate through pre-programmed sentences.
    • There will be twice as many PQs compared to DBZXV1. That is an assload of PQs. Some of them are brand new, some of them are "reworked" PQs from DBZXV1. Again, sequels tend to get slammed for this kind of thing often but with DBZ....when you've already done the Namek fight "right" in one game, does it make sense to do it all over again from scratch in the sequel?
    • "Expert Missions" where six players square off against a single, big bad threat. Broly, Great Ape, to name a couple. The kicker seems to be that these missions have a lot of randomness to them. Players might get mindcontrolled mid fight and have to fight themselves in a private battle to restore control over themselves. Enemies might blast you into completely different areas. You might get ambushed by other characters jumping into the fight while you're alone and isolated. Enemies may do crazy, unexpected attacks. It's essentially raiding in DBZXV and it sounds pretty cool, assuming you have friends to play it with or can find pick up groups for it.
    • Endless Battles. Now you can fight other players until one of you drops dead, no more fight timer if you don't want it.
    • Levelless battles. Now you can fight other players and completely eliminate the stats side of characters so it just comes down to powers and skill. A lot of people wanted this due to how grossly imbalanced fights in DBZXV1 could be.
    • There's going to be some kind of save import from DBZXV1. The only tangible example given was that a statue in the new hub city would look like your DBZXV1 character (Savior of time or some such shit.)
    • At least 87 non-custom playable characters. Zarbon finally is playable, as is Deodoria. (Not that I want to play either of them but they were both conspicuously absent in DBZXV1.) Other series favorites are appearing as well, like Janemba. (Who I used to beat the shit out of everyone with in Budokai.)
    • The storyline this time seems to be less "Fight to keep the DBZ storyline as it should be!" and more "Change the history of Dragonball!" Don't really care about the story that much to be honest.
    • There were really obvious, troubling bugs in some of the videos though. Like one enemy freezing in place and taking damage while a "phantom" enemy that was invisible kept beating up the player. The player was obviously surprised and started firing off Ki attacks in an effort to hurt them. Sort of troubling when a bug like that is out in demo footage. Another seeming bug was the camera paying attention to the opponent during their smash attacks. Like, you as the player get smashed and go flying and instead of the camera staying on you, it's over the shoulder of your opponent. Stylistic choice or bug I dunno, it had me really confused watching one fight.

So I guess I know now why this only took ~a year to crank out. It's an improvement over DBZXV1, not a completely new game from top to bottom. Worth the full price of the game? Hard to say. But I know I enjoyed my time in DBZXV1 enough and was wanting more so, I don't have a problem paying full price for it.

Anyways, I'm off to cram comically large amounts of food down my throat. Hard to reach 9000 on an empty stomach.[/list]
    « Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 08:14:07 pm by nenjin »
    Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
    Quote from: Viktor Frankl
    When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    Quote from: Sindain
    Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
    Quote from: Eric Blank
    How will I cheese now assholes?
    Quote from: MrRoboto75
    Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • A squid
      • View Profile

The objectively best character in Budokai was Yajirobe.   Fight Majin Buu or Perfect Cell or something with Yajirobe, get blown across the map and nuked with all kinds of shit, then you stand up, eat a senzu bean and it's like

Xenoverse 1 was pretty fun, my favorite move was Milky Cannon I think, whatever the thin purple beam move you get in the Frieza saga was.  Did good damage and was fast enough to throw pretty much anywhere you wanted.

It wasn't as good as BT3 though.  The combat system in that one kept surprising and impressing me with how deep and intricate it was.  I'm not even a DBZ fan but I loved the shit out of that game.  Probably not as competitive or technically executed as regular Budokai which was more like Tekken I think?  But I never got into serious fighting games so the flashy crazy shit of BT3 stuck with me more.

There were too many glaring omissions in Xenoverse for me to really want to pay money for it, plus it came out while I was in college and had no money.  Now that I'm working I might grab it and check out the pvp.
    Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Yeah, Milky Cannon is a good Ki Blast. (I think it was Captain Ginyu's?) I think that's what I have on my Saiyan right now, actually.

I'm still a sucker for Vegeta powers though. Big Bang is nice and quick and packs a good punch. I really like Final Flash too for all the damage it can do....but after a friend started using Giant Storm, it became my go-to Ultimate. In a game where half your Ultimate attacks miss because of the wind up on them and people can just bug the fuck out of range, Giant Storm almost always managed to hit because it appears on the target and has a huge AoE. (The only way to avoid it is to, strangely, fly straight up. But the AI didn't know that nor would your average player.) Only other attack that was harder to avoid was Hellzone Grenade from Picollo, but it took for fucking ever to complete.
    « Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:49:43 am by nenjin »
    When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
    Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
      • View Profile

< played human with Kamis regen soul thing and bunch of poses. Nothing like no selling the ultimate attack of some horrible opponent to punch them in the face. Really makes you feel like Cooler when he flies through goku's kamehameha.
    7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

That reminds me: another tidbit is that fucking everyone will get a transformation now. I think the Freiza race has some transformation that makes their armor gold.

So no more QQ Super Saiyan Transformation complaints anymore, one hopes.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
    • (9) airheaded baka (9)
      • View Profile

That reminds me: another tidbit is that fucking everyone will get a transformation now. I think the Freiza race has some transformation that makes their armor gold.

Oh my god, does this mean... the Legendary Super Human?!?
    ._.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
    • The Wizard Dragon
      • View Profile

The Buu one was shown off in TeamFourStar's Beta stream of it...well, it exists.  Barely any effort, but it exists...
    It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
    Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
    <DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Yeah don't they just...turn into little Boo in his entirety?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Oh my god, does this mean... the Legendary Super Human?!?

No, human transformation is just to get the nimbus and power bow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Seen a couple more things watching videos:

-The early demo stuff seemed to have ki and stamina regen cranked up. Watching people play through the start of the game in more recent days, you don't have nearly the stamina and ki totals or regen that has been seen in other videos. I'm still having a hard time figuring out exactly how much stuff like teleporting actually costs. I've seen it cost anywhere from 1 to 2 Stamina for the defensive teleports, and seemingly nothing for offensive teleports.

-There's a regular, charged Ki blast that everyone can perform, that is like a machine gun ki-blast. It's basically a very low-grade super Ki Blast that looks like it hits decently hard and does real damage.

-Z-Souls are now Super Souls. They have an added affect as well: some can change how your Ki Blasts work. There's 5 styles of Ki Blast, like normal, paralyzing, high-speed rapid fire and one other. It's nice that Ki Blasts got some love as they were practically useless except for annoying your opponent and/or interrupting them.

-Guard break attack which I believe stamina drains folks.

-Nimbus Cloud and Power Pole look like they'd be fucking obnoxious to fight in PvP. It has this derpy looking 7-hit combo you can perform at range and it looks like you can just spam it.

-There's more to save importing than just a giant Holographic Statue of your first Time Patroller. The game makes a big deal about what clothing and skills they have equipped, listing ones that do not carry over (spoiler: it's all the Saiyan transformations.) There's mention of bonus Zeni and TP Medals for the stuff that doesn't carry over. Yet, they state repeatedly that you do not play your previous Time Patroller in DBZXV2. So that leaves us with.....the "Legendary Hero" showing up in DBZXV2 as part of the story at some point and fighting alongside you, I'd guess.
    « Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 11:42:40 am by nenjin »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

-There's more to save importing than just a giant Holographic Statue of your first Time Patroller. The game makes a big deal about what clothing and skills they have equipped, listing ones that do not carry over (spoiler: it's all the Saiyan transformations.) There's mention of bonus Zeni and TP Medals for the stuff that doesn't carry over. Yet, the state repeatedly that you do not player your previous Time Patroller in DBZXV2. So that leaves us with.....the "Legendary Hero" showing up in DBZXV2 as part of the story at some point and fighting alongside you, I'd guess.
    Might be a little awkward if you use the same character from the first game anyways...
    All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
    FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

-There's more to save importing than just a giant Holographic Statue of your first Time Patroller. The game makes a big deal about what clothing and skills they have equipped, listing ones that do not carry over (spoiler: it's all the Saiyan transformations.) There's mention of bonus Zeni and TP Medals for the stuff that doesn't carry over. Yet, the state repeatedly that you do not player your previous Time Patroller in DBZXV2. So that leaves us with.....the "Legendary Hero" showing up in DBZXV2 as part of the story at some point and fighting alongside you, I'd guess.
    Might be a little awkward if you use the same character from the first game anyways...

Was what I was thinking. Then again, my specific hairstyle apparently did not come over from XV1 so, guess there will be slight differences.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
    • The Wizard Dragon
      • View Profile

Considering Dumplin had shown up in some way in the TFS beta play through roughly once every or every other mission...
    It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
    Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
    <DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

Ok here is something... that maybe you guys would like

In the first game you often had to wear the best clothes if you wanted the best stats for your character.

While costume stats does still exist... you CAN however get an item (with its own slot) that essentially is the stats of a single costume set... allowing you to equip whatever you want.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
      • View Profile

Now that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't say that any of my characters looked bad in DBXV1, but they certainly could have looked less ramshackle while keeping the stats that complemented them.

It would still be better to have equip slots and cosmetic slots (wear whatever the hell you want while getting whatever the hell stats you want), or make clothing entirely cosmetic, but hey I'm not going to scoff at improvements.
    Quote from: Max White
    And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7