Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2: DBZXV2LMNOPQRSTUVW. That's Time Travel baby.  (Read 10472 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, they still kept Towa in? No Zamasu or anything?

Zamasu is REALLY recent...

And Towa has been the main villain of many Dragon Ball games... AND was sequel baited for this game.... AND Akira Toriyama himself said they aren't allowed to kill her off.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Isn't Towa also in Dragon Ball online, which takes place a couple hundred years after Xenoverse?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't Towa also in Dragon Ball online, which takes place a couple hundred years after Xenoverse?

Yep!

Towa is also in Dragon Ball Fusions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...on the one hand, it's kinda nice to have an over-arching villain in a series where every other villain either dies or joins the good guys (and in either case rapidly becomes irrelevant, with the exception of Vegeta (so far)).

On the other hand, Towa's a bit bland aside from the time-shenanigan shtick.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crazy theory

But I think some of the Parallel quests might have started out as story quests.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, the game seems to have some stability issues. I've had it lock up on me twice now, both times in-battle. Nothing in particular seemed to be triggering the crashes, ie not certain attacks or too many beams on-screen or anything like that. It's odd.

On the happier side of things, I've discovered that both Raditz and Nappa are trainers now. So, if you've ever wanted to kick their asses as they teach you their techniques...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

So far I see some sloppy port work.

For one, half of voice overs in Conton and during missions are barely audible. Tried the usual "use stereo speakers and/or headphones" as has been common with a lot of games, still no dice. Kinda sucks the flavor out of a lot of missions/and or distracts you when you only have subtitles to go on. Apparently it's an isolated issue going by Google searches but it's not like I have some magical setup here.

For two, the boost on the first vehicle you built is bound to Left Shift and Left Shift only. So if you don't WASD, get fucked. Why on Earth it's bound to its own unique key is beyond me, flying and vehicles are two different states, why not have them share the same boost button? I'm sorely tempted to switch to a controller just for that, but even that isn't cleanly bound.

New variety of attacks is nice. Seems way too easy to Dragon Rush combo though, it's just like, the natural conclusion of any combo over 5 hits.

Overall, kind of an obnoxious first 30 minutes. Hope there's a patch incoming for all this.

That said:

« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 07:51:32 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...did you remake your hero from the last game? Boy, that'll get confusing quickly...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's Time Travel baby.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2: DBZXV2LMNOPQRSTUVW. That's Time Travel baby.
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2016, 08:23:43 pm »

So you lost most of your powers and will be introduced to yourself?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2016, 08:28:46 pm »

I just forgot how to Super Saiyan. (Well, and Tyrant Lance.) It's been a while, I'm out of shape and need to retrain. As for meeting myself, I like me so I'm happy to meet me, obviously.

(They changed the stats on this gear ><. Does it take long to get to Capsule Corp so you can make QQ Bangs?)

edit

I also just alt-tabbed back in to find myself falling through the world. Love this game so far.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 11:01:00 pm »

Is multiplayer just like...turned off right now? My friend and I are playing and just trying to get on each other's Favorites list and neither of us can figure it out. Player search shows no one in Conton, haven't seen any players all night. Never got a message indicating I was playing offline.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 11:28:13 pm »

You don't gain access to multi-lobby (and presumably, multiplayer) until a bit into the Time Patrols.

Try again once you see player-created characters (with yellow, often uncreative, names) populating Conton.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2016, 05:11:15 pm »

Also, the proper way of adding each other is hosting a private PQ lobby, steam inviting the buddy, playing the match, navigate to "recent players", add him to favorite, voila! It's quite intuitive.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

Well the voice overs volume bug seems to have fixed itself. At least I didn't patch. I just noticed in the middle of playing last night that it suddenly started working.

Also getting the random mid-battle freeze up and crash. I think that's their "3 hours in the multi-lobby then you get logged out" thing, except the message telling you it's going to happen isn't appearing, and so you just DC in the middle of a fight and the game craps itself.

Overall.....I like it.

Pros:

-More polished in some ways. The experience from DBZXV1 has just been fleshed out in the right places. There's enough workaday collectathon/repeatable mission stuff that the game doesn't feel constrained to PQs, Time Patrol and shopping in a big empty city. Things feel, overall, less clunky than they did in DBXV1. Particularly menus, talking to people, navigation, etc...

-There's more depth to the combat now. It's faster, tighter (although still not as tight as a dedicated fighting game like Budokai etc...) What really cinches it though is there are real skill moves now, not just timing a perfect block. The Vanishing Step manuever is a game changer, allowing you to move, attack and dodge with teleports that don't cost stamina. Done right they can even Guard Break the fuck out of people. There are other combo moves that don't rely on Stamina/Ki to work that allow someone with good timing to really equalize the odds in fights. There's just more overall to DO in combat now other than punch punch punch ki blast/strike/ultimate.

-Balance overall just feels better. Money actually matters because there's things you wan to buy (mostly clothing so you can make new QQ Bangs.) Ultimates feel like they have more parity with each other. There's less curb stomping death match bull shit from AI designed to be hard (although when the game is trying to teach you something specific it can sometimes feel that way.) PQs, the ones we've done, don't seem as hung up on the pure randomness of the extra objectives, so they're not as frustrating to get ultimate finishes for.

-Progression is better metered once you figure out how it works now. Basically Time Patrols --> Training With Various Fighters --> Advancement Tests --> Time Rifts --> PQs. Time Patrols meter core gameplay progression like Gear and Transformations and available fighters to train with. Training with fighters seems to net you the most XP out of anything you do and is where you do serious leveling up, and where you acquire the bulk of in-game abilities. When you've run out of trainers, you take your Advancement Test, which unlocks yet more trainers, more XP, more abilities. When you run out of trainers again but haven't acquired enough training experience for another advance test, you turn to Time Rifts as the sort of hourly mini-quests that net you cash and covers micro-progression like Transformations, Attribute Level Caps and general Zeni/Medal/Item farming. And when you've cleaned up all the Time Rifts for the moment, you either go do PQs or head back to Time Patrol to push the story forward, reveal more trainers and the whole cycle starts over again. There's basically little cause for not having something level appropriate to do where you can make XP and boost stats and get stuff. Unlike DBZXV1 where you'd hit a brick wall in Time Patrol and have to go endlessly grind PQs until you leveled up enough to take on harder time Patrols, or hit a brick wall in PQs.

-It's just enough of an MMO that there's always some low impact thing to do to kill time and earn something.

Cons:

-It's pretty fetch quest-y. That's essentially what Time Rifts feel like. Or Milk Delivery. Or Collecting Stones. Or Time Patrol challenges. Or even really training with other fighters. There's a lot of busy work and while it gives you something to do, much of it doesn't have teeth. I'm reminded of Assassin's Creed's Collectathon put 40 dozen trivial things on your map for you to do. Either you can play games like that or the low-nutrition/high-fat content of it drives you away.

-A lot of fights you do, training or otherwise, are very trivial. It gives the game a kind of frenetic pace where there's always a three or four things you could do quickly, on top of Time Rifts spamming you that they have stuff for you to do.

-I hate how you're constantly having your abilities and stats switched depending on what you're doing. In DBZXV1, your load out was your load out and you used it everywhere. Here different scenarios often change your skills for the purposes of demonstration or challenge. On the one hand forced variety does help shake things up. On the other though you end up feeling kind of disconnected from your character at times. It seems like this happens more often in the early game and less so as you progress.

-The level of polish only goes so far. I've seen broken AI in Challenges that got stuck in a loop and made it impossible to finish it. AI in PQs and TPs bugging each other out leading to weird behavior. All the aforementioned bugs/missed polish points before this. None of them are a real deal breakers but the game clearly was rushed to release, and some of them are kind of annoying.

-The story is pretty bad. They don't make much effort to make any part of it really interesting, or give a good reason for why it's happening. Villains be villains, Dragonballs in danger, messing with the past for REASONS. I suppose it's not much worse than DBZXV1, but since there's so much MORE of it now, you get quantity over quality.

Overall I agree with what my friend said last night. "I know I'm being ripped off on some level. Missions are exactly the same, the dialog, the moves. Sure there's more of it but it doesn't change the fact 50% of the original game was recycled. And I'm OK with that. I'm OK with being ripped off because I'm enjoying myself despite knowing this was a shameless recycled product." Personally there's enough additions that for me it's worth playing.

Also, the proper way of adding each other is hosting a private PQ lobby, steam inviting the buddy, playing the match, navigate to "recent players", add him to favorite, voila! It's quite intuitive.

We got it figured out. But no, it's not intuitive at all. Being able to search the DBZXV players list directly and making friends from there, or inviting to Teams directly from your Steam menu, would be intuitive. What really tripped me up is having played the first game and knowing how all this should work, but their merciless tutorial metering of features left me confused because I thought I was missing something.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 10:46:09 pm by nenjin »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7