Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.  (Read 4496 times)

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2016, 11:50:23 am »

In the unit screen (others), which labels do the goblins, trolls and beak dogs have ?

Is it 'Friendly' ? 'cause I remember that I used to embark anywhere in dangerous place and only find perfectly friendly foes.

Goblins and trolls are in the "others" screen and labeled hostile.
Beak dogs, however, are in the "Pets and Livestock" screen and labeled tamed.

ScreechingMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2016, 12:09:14 pm »

I'm very curious to find out whether the goblins and trolls will attack on sight. In my reclaim fort, the people who used to be there as guests of my tavern are now "hostile" residents (or were, until they got slaughtered) but didn't seem to attack my dwarves, and my dwarves wouldn't attack them unless ordered to. I think. Then again, I didn't give them much time to figure it out. Anyways, if the goblins and such don't attack you, and especially if Dur the Ugly Kangaroo doesn't, then your fort has come with a very nice security force. I wonder, when the sieges come, will they be goblins from the same civ? And will traders be hostile towards the goblins? So much science to do!
Nobody liked my poem :(

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 02:13:02 am »

I'm very curious to find out whether the goblins and trolls will attack on sight. In my reclaim fort, the people who used to be there as guests of my tavern are now "hostile" residents (or were, until they got slaughtered) but didn't seem to attack my dwarves, and my dwarves wouldn't attack them unless ordered to. I think. Then again, I didn't give them much time to figure it out. Anyways, if the goblins and such don't attack you, and especially if Dur the Ugly Kangaroo doesn't, then your fort has come with a very nice security force. I wonder, when the sieges come, will they be goblins from the same civ? And will traders be hostile towards the goblins? So much science to do!

Yeah !
AFAIK, we never fully experienced a loyalty cascade for other civilisations than dwarven ones.

I'm also thinking that maybe, after you attack one goblin, the whole fort will turn very hostile to your dwarves. You know, like zombie pigmen in minecraft. It's fine as long as you don't attack ^^
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:15:56 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 02:54:01 pm »

As you recall, last update we were able to get rid of one of the guards, but the other on is coming our way:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
We can't wall him off this time. We'll have to fight!

First, I forbid all the marble and cancel all mining designations.
My miners have been mining at the marble for quite a while. I can only hope they can mine at the flesh just as well.
I create a military squad out of my two miners. The Misty fortresses, they are called. Since Edem has been a miner for longer than Shem, and is probably more skilled with the pickaxe, I make him the leader. The fate of our civilization now rests on the shoulders of this pair non-soldiers.
I have them stationed in a behind a door at the start of the hallway, in the room closest to the graveyard. Once he's past the door, I intend to corner the troll and lock the door behind him so he can't run and alert the others. Assuming he doesn't slaughter my miners.
"What's the rush?" asks Sodel, the stoneworker.
Even while the other dwarves retreat to the tower, she keeps going to the pit. Frustrated, I have the stair construction cancelled.
Reluctantly, she lets go of the marble and heads back to the tower. It also seems my soldiers are going to the tower, perhaps to prepare...? They'll have to be quick. The troll is advancing our way.

As they finally finish preparing, the troll draws dangerously close.
Change of plan! They don't have enough time to reach the end of the hallway!
Instead I have them stationed in the winding passage near the beginning of the hallway, hoping they will make it in time to ambush the troll.
As they make it to the passage, the troll climbs the elevation that leads into the southern living quarters.

WHAT?!
In blatant disobedience, the dwarves ignore the passage, and go straight for the troll! Well, I hope they live.
As Shem engages the troll, a cyan liquid is sprayed across the wall. The colour of troll blood! What a hero Shem must be, spilling troll blood as soon as he approached! I inspect the combat log.
Bah! It's just a lip! And she punched it without even using her pick! You'll have to do better than that if you want to survive this fight Shem!
Edem isn't doing any better! In fact, she's doing worse! And why aren't they using their weapons?
Because they're not holding them. And they were sent to kill Dur? At least the troll hasn't done anything either. He is also cornered! At least he won't be getting any help.
Spoke too soon...
It appears there was another door leading out of the hallway which I haven't seen. And now that his buddy is fighting he casually walks out and comes to his aid. That means two vs two. A goblin spearman and a troll versus two unarmed, unarmored, inexperienced dwarves. A fair fight.
Concerned for their well being, I station them at the end of the graveyard, the only way out at this moment. Going back up will lead the creatures to my dwarves, and we still don't have a stair case for the caverns.
They disobey and continue mindlessly punching the troll.
The troll punches Edem in the lower spine, only bruising it. Shem bites the troll repeatedly.
The goblin passes by the fight, not even giving my dwarves a second glance. What is he doing? Is this just arrogance? Considering how he didn't walk out of his trap the moment he noticed he was walled off suggests it is arrogance at work here. Does he know something I don't? I'll have to keep an eye on him. Usbu Bostebuksos is his name.
Edem then moves out of the fight. I order her to go back to it. So she turns back and starts walking towards the troll.
Shem has become a wrestler. Nice!
The troll is unconscious and heavily bruised. It's beginning to look like this will turn out well.

It's beginning to look like this will not turn out well. The troll woke up and started pushing Shem towards the graveyard, while Edem is running in the opposite direction! Shem then jumps into the graveyard.
Not everything is looking so bleak however. the troll passes out while fighting Shem.
The troll then seriously wounds Shem. I'll have to worry about that one later though. The troll once again fall unconscious.
Meanwhile Mucustomb and her pals are causing trouble underground. I check if I can zoom to location.  As for the troll, he is still unconscious and being beat senseless by my soldiers.
Indeed I can. Behold Mucustomb! A giant blind pterosaur with deadly blood. That will make disposing of them harder.
There are two nameless blind fiends besides a named one:
Mudosnut, Boneputrescence.
This one is injured however.
Mucustomb is lagging behind in the preceding room.

Mucustomb stands beside Bonepurescence and all four of them wait behind the slade door. What are they planning? And the strange way the goblin acted. What was the meaning of it? I have a feeling we'll find out pretty soon.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:29:51 am by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 04:05:05 pm »

I take it you didn't disable their mining labour and order them to wear picks in particular? :v Though seems like it is going fine.

Those fiends are destroying the door.

But, more importantly, being blind they have extravision.

Sounds like the residents are peaceful, however. Well, if they think you belong in the dark fortress, it does make killing Dur lot easier.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 04:42:03 pm »

I wouldn't like to be those trolls in the room above those four demons... Strange that the trolls are hostile but the goblins aren't (openly at least).
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2016, 02:36:05 am »

I wouldn't like to be those trolls in the room above those four demons... Strange that the trolls are hostile but the goblins aren't (openly at least).

It's actually possible that Nodumbnamesonmymind gave the order "attack troll" without showing it in the logs (in the logs, it was only "Station"). Then, the troll would have simply defended, but it might have been passive if not attacked.
If the "attack" order was not given, then I agree, it's strange that the troll attacked but the goblins didn't...

They know ! They're up to something !! Hide the children !

ScreechingMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:25 am »

Personally, I would have closed off all entrances to the fort long ago so that none of the inhabitants could get through and fight us. I strongly recommend doing this now that we know of several demons inside the fort besides Dur. If you block off the entrances then you can mine and prepare in peace until you feel ready. If one of the demons gets to your dwarves you will lose the fort. But you knew that.

If you get some migrants you don't care about, I suggest you stick one on top of one of the goblin towers to see if they're really not hostile at all. Since that goblin Usbu just walked by, even though you were fighting someone on his side, I'm nearly certain now that they aren't hostile, and will be passive like the "hostile" inhabitants I've encountered.

What could you do with a hundred passive goblins? Can you stick them in minecarts and make a merry-go-round?

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2016, 12:29:49 pm »

I did order them to kill the troll, but I assumed they would've done it anyway considering how they were racing towards the troll instead of going to where I stationed them.
Also I can't spare too much time on Df so the updates span a really short in-game time. It's still the month of granite :)!

As for the goblins on the towers fighting, I assume the game treats them as livestock, and since they're all squeezed into the tower, it gets overcrowded and they start fighting.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:32:48 pm by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:23 pm »

I strongly suggest ordering a retreat, or enlisting every able-bodied Dwarf.  Trolls are notorious for murdering fledgling fortresses; not b/c they are especially dangerous, but b/c of their health regeneration.  Dwarves will attack it to the point of starvation and dehydration.  Those bruises will fully heal in a matter of days.

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2016, 05:06:13 am »

A nameless fiend is trying to bust the door down, while the other nameless and two named ones are waiting behind him...
Shem is unconscious and is wounded...
But so is the troll bowyer...
My other dwarves are doing nothing so I send them to build the staircase.
Sodel gets the job.
Shem regains consciousness and backs away from the still unconscious troll.
Overcome by terror she flees.

And the four Blind Fiends barge in, with Mucustomb at the front.

Slaughter ensues.
It seems that Mucustomb and Boneputrescence have some unfinished business with Dur. After killing the two trolls they move over to the next door.
A few dozen meters above, Shem conquers her fear and attacks the troll once again.
Edem however, backs out.

A foolish troll enters the demon infested hallway...
...and dies.

As for the troll bowyer:
He awoke and is now attacking Shem!
Guilt stricken, Edem comes back to help her friend.

It seems that the demons are more interested in causing mischief than infiltrating the fortress. They are running around toppling statues.
And they break in!
A troll is standing on top of the floor hatch the demons are approaching. Boneputrescence is the one breaking the hatch.

The stoneworker is fetching more marble for the staircase.
Our friend Usbu comes to visit again.
He once again passes my dwarves as if they weren't there.

The troll bowyer is still unconscious.
Hm... his head is torn open. I wonder how he's still alive.

The middle section of the staircase has been built. Only one more to go.
Instead of finishing the staircase, Sodel decides to clean the troll bood.
If the troll decides it's time to wake up, Sodel may get seriously injured. But there's nothing I can do. How stubborn she is.
The woodcutter goes to finish the staircase. That's good since he will be the one using it.
And today is the last day of the month. Let's hope the next month will be a little more successful and we'll be able to start our industry.

We have already made it into the second month and it doesn't seem like the troll is dying anytime soon. So I decide to crush him. I designate a marble floor to be constructed over his head. Once it's made I will order my dwarves to channel the rough marble connecting keeping the floor up, and the floor will collapse onto the troll, killing him.
Sodel takes the job.
Usbu and Sodel pass by eachother. Why is Usbu so unconcerned about his partner's death?

The staircase has finally been constructed! I order the woodworker to chop some wood down.
And the floor over the troll's head has been constructed! But since I'm short on miners, I'll need someone else to channel the platform away. For that I pick my expedition leader, since he has been idling lately.
He takes up his pick and starts channeling the platform... And kills the troll!
Surprisingly, it seems that Edem and Shem survived the cave-in.
Once the dust settles we see that Edem is completely unharmed. Unfortunately the same can't be said of Shem.

After a few logs have been cut down. I order a few beds to be made. One of them will be used as a hospital for Shem.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:01:25 am by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2016, 10:50:04 am »

It has only been two weeks?

What a time.

And military shows the need for Discipline, I guess. Though wasn't it one of those military skills which trained fast?

Could have alternatively gone for a (cage) trap right under the troll, I suppose, but what is done is done. But those demons are going to run out of doors and statues to destroy eventually.

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2016, 01:30:30 pm »

Wow, PTW
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2016, 01:48:03 pm »

These doors are literally the wick that keeps the daemons away.
Your dwarves will slowly run out of time as the goblin site runs out of doors.

Better prepare...

JumpingJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2016, 12:56:18 am »

Giant spider webs... Kangaroos... Dangerous terrain with friendly residents...

I do believe you've colonized Australia. PTW.
I'M NOT HERE TO CHAT, I'M HERE TO DANCE OVER YOUR DEFEAT.
Imagine how much more exciting the dinosaur exhibits would be if we had necromancers.
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3