Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.  (Read 4495 times)

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.
« on: October 13, 2016, 05:41:30 am »

Today is 15th of Granite, according to the dwarven calendar, year 725, and seven dwarves arrive at Crossdemons. Four years ago, the Useless Wickedness attacked the Palace of Influences. The goblins sieged the dwarven fortress of Booklancers with a force of five and a half thousand soldiers, the dwarven fortress being defended with only a small force of four hundred. The demon Dur Leadcontrol, the evil master of the Useless Wickedness, led the attack. The entire dwarven force was annihilated, but they fought bravely and managed to kill a thousand and three hundred of their merciless attackers. The goblin army then proceeded to pillage Booklancers, razing their tavern, The dumplings of cooking, to the ground and brutally murdering countless dwarves. The government at Chapelgold urgently sent a peace offer to Dur Leadcontrol, who accepted it.

The siege became known as the Siege of Gore, and the conflict as the Conflict of Cremating. This however was not the first assault of this nature. The two civilizations battled furiously throughout the centuries, ever since Dur escaped his Hellish prison. Even without the goblin menace, the Palace of influence was so ravaged, that their seat of power was confined to a hillocks, their first capital being destroyed by a mountain titan. The leaders of Chapelgold knew that peace was not meant to last, and with their civilization nearly gone, they needed to act now. Lorbam Ochretame, the queen, decided to send seven brave, or perhaps foolish dwarves, to invade the goblin capital of Crossdemons, and prepare the site for more dwarves, who will come and aid them in their ultimate goal: Kill Dur, once and for all. Unfortunately, this will be no easy task, considering that the Frothy Morass, the region where Crossdemons is located, is full of evil power that permeates the marsh.

http://imgur.com/a/QXfT1

Using embark everywhere, I have embarked on the Dark Fortress. Watch Crycloisters rise and fall!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:44:51 pm by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

ScreechingMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cagithoddom - Crycloisters: Invading The Enemy Capital.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2016, 12:19:11 pm »

I had no idea there was something that lets you embark on top of settlements. How does that work? Will the goblins just keep doing their stuff while you build a fortress? Also, assuming they're hostile, how will you keep your first dwarves alive long enough to delve secure lodgings?

In any case, I think Armok will be pleased by the blood that will surely flow from Crycloisters/Crossdemons. I look forward to the first update and pictures.

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 01:50:09 pm »

Just found out that the region is sinister. I hope it's reanimating as well.

I'm using the lazy newb pack(version 43.03) and there is a way to embark wherever you want.
As for the goblins, they are listed as hostile on the unit screen though I don't know what they will do as I haven't unpaused yet. I will do that in just a minute.

First update will be up soon!

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 07:37:05 am »

After two weeks of travel my dwarves have finally arrived at their destination
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Their wagon stopped at the base of one of the towers. The tower is mostly empty, except for two dwarves inside and about a dozen goblins on top.
To the north is the spire, with it's entrance facing away from my dwarves.
On the top floor of the spire is none other than Dur, the master of the Useless Wickedness, and our target. He is a black kangaroo twisted into humanoid form.
Beside him is the lady of Crossdemons, the local ruler. While Dur holds absolute power, she manages the cities resources.

Apart from the tower the dwarves spawned in, there are 6 other towers each with a bunch of goblins on top.
Two levels beneath the surface, there are five big chambers. Two are the goblins living quarters, carved directly into the rough marble. these may be incredibly useful once migrants start arriving. Then there are two graveyards, filled with slabs and unburied goblin skeletons. If this region is reanimating this will result in a lot of fun. The last chamber is the spire's basement filed with weapons, armor, goblin soldiers and a bunch of levers I switched off. I'll have to pull them, just to see what they do. There is also a chamber to the south but I can't quite see what it is.
And finally there is some GCS web in the lower parts of the spire.

So, let's strike the earth!
First thing I did was make a burrow within the tower, and move everyone but two miners inside it. I enabled carpentry on one of them and slated the wagon for removal. Then I made a stockpile within the tower to move all my goods to it. Finally I pastured my horses in the tower. There are no trees in the area unfortunately so I won't be making any beds unless I break into the caverns soon. There is an entrance to the caverns through the graveyard but I'm not yet sure whether the region is reanimating or not.

I quickly check on the corpses.
They're still dead. I was hoping this biome was reanimating, but i guess not. What a shame.

Something toppled the slade statue but I can't figure out where or what caused it.
And another one got toppled. It won't let me zoom to it's location, so I guess I should just move on.

I removed the burrow because the wagon was loaded with goods and my miners are working too slowly. Also, it seems like the goblins aren't noticing my dwarves yet so I can send them to work without fearing their deaths.

A slade hatch was likewise destroyed, so I guess it's the work of some confused trolls.
And then a slade door...
I then designate some marble to be mined. Besides wanting some materials to build workshops, I also want to raise my miners combat skill so they can take care of the goblins on top of the tower. They are making me very nervous.
Damn! A troll and a goblin spearman are approaching the area designated to be mined!
I urgently remove the designation. The creatures are approaching the stairway that leads into the tower. It seems like the mission will fail before it even begins.
The creatures pass by one another, not even glancing at the stairway, and each go in the way the other one just came from.
Phew! They are just patrolling the area. Seems our presence has not yet been noted by Dur.
Unfortunately, this means we'll have trouble mining for stone here. So for now I put my miners back on hauling the goods to the tower.

No more slade buildings are being destroyed for now. I assign the position of manager, broker and bookkeeper to my expedition leader, because none of the seven have any relevant skills, and I find building only one office for all of these positions very economic. Of course I'll have to craft a chair first. I'll probably use the wagon wood for that, considering that stone is kind of inaccessible for now. If only my dwarves would haul the wood to the tower faster.

I check on my dwarves to see if they are happy:
I've been making them work in the rain and none of them are too happy about it. At least no one's dead or throwing a tantrum yet.

The troll is chilling behind a door and the goblin is nowhere to be seen so I designate the marble to be mined out.
The Goblins at the top of the tower are still unaware of my presence. Hopefully none of them will decide to walk down the stairs.

As my fisherdwarf-turned-miner reaches the spot and starts digging, the troll steps out in the hallway and start moving towards my dwarf.
Thankfully, the troll passes the door and moves about his regular path.
As my other miner arrives at the spot the troll moves into the graveyard. I lock the marble door behind the miners so that my haulers don't come and take the stones while the goblin patrols are roaming the hallways.

Curiously, despite all the stories I've heard of murderous beak dogs, the beak dogs here are surprisingly tame. A few of them approached my dwarves, but none have attacked. My dwarves aren't even frightened by them, nor are they abandoning their jobs. Hmm... They may be useful as a food source.

And another slade door has been destroyed.

The mission so far is going well but how will the dwarves face future threats? And more importantly: how will they kill Dur Leadcontrol, and save their civilization?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 04:17:21 am by Nodumbnamesonmymind »

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:34:06 am »

Good stuff, I look forward to seeing how this plays out :)  A tip for your next chapter; If you are using Imgur, make an album with a single link.  Otherwise, use the tag [.img][./img] to post pictures here, so peeps don't have to keep clicking out.  The line would be [.spoiler][.img]ImageLinkHere[./img][./spoiler]

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 12:02:42 pm »

Ptw. Starting a fortress under the nose of a demon king is pretty damn dwarven: my congratulations, good overseer!
One wheel short of a wagon

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 02:05:12 am »

Lorbam Ochretame - Dwarven Queen
     "Urist, our Civilization needs your crazyness strength ! You'll embark in this site full of goblonite and kill the Kangaroo demon who lies there.
     I have faith in you."

Urist McCrazy - Expedition Leader
     "Aye ! It'll be glorious, my Queen !  Gluupss !"

btw you can use {img}http://imgur.com/mSDZwqa.EXTENSION{/img}
with { } being [  ] and .EXTENSION being .png, .jpeg or whatever your file was.

And which DF version is it ? Last time I checked I couldn't find embarkAnywhere on 43.05...
EDIT : Wait ?? is LNP out for 43.05 ? Is Dwarf Therapist finally released ?? * Quickly checks forums *
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 02:11:14 am by Spriggans »
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 03:42:25 am »

Thanks for the help! The images are fixed now, as well as a few typos.

I'll start working on the next update soon enough.

Heretic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 01:00:52 pm »

PTW

ScreechingMarmot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2016, 08:18:08 pm »

Looking good so far! I have some thoughts on resources and how to deal with the gobins.

For stone, you should be able to just dig a level or two below the bedrooms and have as much stone as you want. Wood will be a problem though. Maybe you can buy some off of traders?

If you can get wood or metal for a ton of cages, I suggest setting up a cage trap area to catch all those goblins in. Then you can strip them of their weapons and armor and use them for target practice! Alternatively, you could NOT strip them of weapons and armor, and figure out how to unleash them on unwitting trade caravans. You'd have to kill or re-cage whoever was left, but you'd get all the goodies the traders brought with them.

By the way, since no civs can mine it, wouldn't all the slade for those buildings have to have been imported from the underworld? I wonder, did Dur the Ugly Kangaroo carry it all with him, or was it transported by a clown trading caravan?

ScreechingMarmot is taken by a fey mood!
ScreechingMarmot has claimed a keyboard!

Dur the kanga-roo demon
Had a very ugly head
And if you ever said so
He would bite off yours instead

All of the other clowners
Used to scream and drive him mad
He ran up through all the caverns
Because it hurt his head so bad

Then one dark and stormy night
Dur found gob's and trolls
He said in one awesome shout
"Follow me, all you stupid louts!"

Dur the kanga-roo demon
Ruled them however he willed
He never once suspected
By the dwarves he would be killed!

Nodumbnamesonmymind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2016, 05:25:01 am »

At the very start of this update we get another slade door destroyed!
I have gotten used to that by now, so we move on.
Since my dwares finally hauled the wood to the stockpile, I order the creation of a carpenter's workshop.
As my workshop is being built I get a strange announcement:
A Beak dog has been found dead? I try to zoom to the location but there's no one there but a goblin swordsman. Not even a beak dog corpse. I checked the combat reports, and what I found surprised me a great deal.
There are a bunch of combat reports, when a few seconds ago there were none! So who are all these goblins fighting?
Turns out, they're fighting amongst themselves!
This poor fisherman has been bruised in the guts and is now vomiting and retching. Curiously, the first combat report is that the fisherman has become enraged. The same is true for all the goblins fights. I wonder what caused this rage. I heard stories about goblins murdering other citizens of their sites for no good reason, but I have never witnessed it, nor do I know how the murders are accomplished. But a goblin assaulting another goblin in a tower full of people, with no one trying to break them up is just barbaric.
If you're wondering how the beak dog died, he wasn't killed by a raging goblin. He was killed by a blind fiend apparently, but I can't figure out what exactly the blind fiend is, considering the zoom command yields no information. The first combat report is the fiend kicking the beak dog in the head. It is also the last combat report. The kick killed the beak dog instantly.

Now back to the goblins.I check the combat reports again.
It appears that the goblins are doing this out of fun, and possibly to improve their fighting prowess! It seems like we're observing goblin habits that no one has ever observed before. The fight was brief, and by the time my workshop got completed, the fighting has stopped. We'll have to do some more science on that subject.
Speaking of my workshop, I order the construction of a wooden chair so I can finally make an office for the expedition leader.
Meanwhile...
The fighting has completely stopped, with only occasional vomiting updating the combat reports.

My miners are digging pretty slowly, but they are making progress. Also there's a beak dog hanging in the hallway and a goblin patroller passing by.
He passes by both the dwarves, unaware of their presence within the capital, and by the beak dog, not even trying to harm it. It seems that only blind fiends are unfriendly towards beak dogs.
Speaking of which...
The head of this beak dog has been bit off. I still can't zoom to the place of the event. Well, at least we know these things can fly.
And one of them has a name!
Osnongzakosp, meaning Mucustomb. It was probably given that name by the goblins after killing the beak dog.

As for the goblin patroller he is chilling down the hall
I check the combat reports again to see if anything new has happened. Nothing new to read but there are two entries I missed.
I stand corrected! it was a nameless demon who killed the previous beak dog. This means that Mucustomb earned that name earlier during the history of the world. I'll have to watch out for that one. If only I knew where it was...

The fighting has erupted again, and it seems not everyone is enjoying it. I'll have to further investigate into this phenomenon.

The wooden chair is finished, and I assign it to my expedition leader. Now I hope he is satisfied.

With only one wood left and the goblin patrolling the access to the caverns I decide to do something really stupid. but maybe slightly genius...
While the goblin is still waiting in the hallway, I designate my last log to be used to seal him in.

The brave and foolish Sodel the stone worker takes the job. He will be missed.

HAHAHA!!!
The brilliant mason hides behind the corner in order not to be seen by the goblin! And It Worked!!!
The goblin now safely sealed in the hallway, I can finally send my woodcutter to the caverns through the graveyard, and make some beds.
First though, I need to build stairs. I unlock the door and my dwarves rush to get the marble to the stockpile. One of them will build the staircase.
The stoneworker gets the honors.
While he is dragging the stone to the pit, a slade door gets destroyed.
Not everything is going according to plan however. The other guard, the troll is heading towards my dwarves. Not only will he spot my stoneworker, but he will also notice my other dwarves hauling the marble!

How will this turn out? We'll find out in the next update.

Spriggans

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:37 am »

In the unit screen (others), which labels do the goblins, trolls and beak dogs have ?

Is it 'Friendly' ? 'cause I remember that I used to embark anywhere in dangerous place and only find perfectly friendly foes.
[ETHIC:MURDERING_DWARVES:UNTHINKABLE]
[ETHIC:CUTTING_TREES:REQUIRED]
[ETHIC:USING_EXPLOITS:JUSTIFIED_IF_GOOD_REASON]

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2016, 07:40:49 am »

I like the slight tenseness in the updates.

Yeah, slade spires are open to the underworld, though held back by slade doors.

...Well, they were held back.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2016, 08:15:47 am »

So this fort already has three demons (minimum) roaming free? Demons are Building Destroyers right? This could get messy, Would Dur fight his underworld kin to protect his goblin minions or just ignore them?
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2016, 11:16:23 am »

Could just be horrors or whatever... you know, those freakish humanoids that crop up and occassionally convert random people into their evil spouses.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3