Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Worldmap: What style would you prefer?

Icons, like ASCII but prettier.
Hand-drawn, like an old-timey sepia map.
Full graphics, like JRPGs with full-on sprites.
Same as the tileset ingame. Forests would use the tree sprite, mountains a rock sprite, etc.
Other. Please post your ideas/examples.

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 187

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V5.5 (32x32) - 47.05 - offline  (Read 897228 times)

Chaikhou-L-Jabal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Amazing update !
I have a question : When I want to install a mod that adds additional creatures, the new creatures look like critters. Is it possible to have them as ASCII characters instead ?
Thanks in advance.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

A suggestion for the ice ones is, perhaps, a dusting of snow? Either on the objects themselves or scattered around the base.

I'm not sure how to make the glass ones more interesting, unfortunately. Unless you wanted to go hunting on google images for interesting themes people have done with glass objects that would translate into the game?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe it's me, but that glass door looks like one of those super tech advanced sci-fi doors, and i'm loving it.

Might sound stupid, but i think making the entire set more "technological" or sci-fi themed could look good.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not sure how to make the glass ones more interesting, unfortunately. Unless you wanted to go hunting on google images for interesting themes people have done with glass objects that would translate into the game?
stained glass design might work better, specially with colored glass.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

ASCII critters: curiously enough, not really. There are no ASCII characters left in the set. You can add ASCII creature sprites through raw/graphics.

Scifi would look cool, but no. My bet is 99% including me would be against it. But i wanted to make the glass Design rather modern.

Stained glass would sadly make no sense, considering dwarves dont know how to colors glass. They only have either clear or green glass.

I thought about adding icicles to the ice Set. Kinda like the spikes on the obsidian Set, just the other direction ;-)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Stained glass would sadly make no sense, considering dwarves dont know how to colors glass. They only have either clear or green glass.

wait, i was under the impression that colored sand would retain their colors when turned to glass.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Idea: everything looks dwarvish atm. But I could add one set with human, elvish, goblin and kobold design. Thats only 4x 32 sprites :-D

Brick walls with tapestries, thick carpets and engraved padded furniture for humans. (cloth)

Living, organic wood walls with ivy, moss and filigrane furniture for elves. (plants )

For goblins dark, spiky walls with mutilated bodyparts, iron-grated flooring, and rough-cut furniture with banners. (iron/goblinite)

Leather and wood/clay based design for walls, like tents and camping furniture for kobolds (leather)

I could simply write a Workshop that says: Make elvish chair, or goblin-style door, etc, and supplies the wanted item. Since it only makes blocks and furniture, it would barely affect game balance.

Thoughts?

(Obviously those can be used when playing as that race too)

(Sand color has nothing to do with the color of the created glass.)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

goblin walls, make the spike material out of bloody bone.

kobolds should go with more fur instead of leather, considering that they don't do tanning.
plus stuffed animals and head-trophies, like the ones used in hunter cabins.

edit: oh right, how about tiki totems? they're statues that just look like totems.
also goblins should make skull totems instead.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:30:45 am by EpicMadness »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Oh... that comment reminds me: We could just make wall-mounted head trophies.

Take goblin corpse, goto workshop, make "goblin trophy block", build wall. Wall looks like a wall, just with a gobin head on a wooden board stuck on it.

I just had to do a quick mock-up:

Edit: Mh, not sure if walls would be the best idea, there are so many iterations. Maybe more like an armor-stand or display case/stand. Furniture, that you can place on floors. What do you guys think, better on floors or walls? (floors I have to make 1 sprite, walls I need 11. If I make 10 different looking goblin heads, that's 10 sprites vs. 110 sprites. On the other hand, wall-deco would be awesome)

And that lead me to taxidermy. I already wrote a reactionthat takes a creature corpse and turns it into a fitting statue in MasterworkDF... and since most creature sprites are done, I can just greyscale them, put them on pedestals, and get something like:

Mh, maybe with a bit more color:

Not sure how many people would use this, but... it's a possibility. Taxidermied creatures would be STATUEs ingame.

It's literally just one dfhack script and adding this to the tanner:
Code: [Select]
[REACTION:TAXIDERMY_STATUE]
[NAME:stuff a corpse (statue)]
[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_SHIFT_S]
[REAGENT:corpse:1:CORPSE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:STATUE:NONE:INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY]
[SKILL:TANNER]

[REACTION:TAXIDERMY_FIGURINE]
[NAME:stuff remains (figurine]
[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_SHIFT_F]
[REAGENT:remains:1:REMAINS:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:FIGURINE:NONE:INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY]
[SKILL:TANNER]

It sadly wouldnt really work with procedually generated creatures like titans, fbs, demons and nightcreatures (the biggest prey), but it could be a nice way to show-case the martial powers of a fortress... a hall of killed things. Quite dwarfy. Just have to test how DF handles corpses of intelligent civ-members atm.

With close to 700 creatures ingame, it would lead to 3x 256 tilesets being used for this, due to tranparency I need 3 more for the -bg files, I dont need -top files, so it comes down to... taking up 1536 tiles. I should probably finish the last remaining mammals/creatures in 32x (some are still upscaled 24x from Doren), before doing that. ^^

Feedback?

PS: Related: Please vote on the poll. There were 500 downloads of the last version in 2 days, but only 18 people voted? Come one guys, you can do better. :P
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:07:26 am by Meph »

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

elves would probably go insane if you try to trade them stuffed animal statues. :o
they go through your trophy hall with faces that says "oh god armok, these savages are barbarous!".

on a side note, can pet-value affect the statue's value?

edit: an idea came up, i think elves should have potted plants for statues.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:08:14 am by EpicMadness »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

No, the statue would be a generic, modded-material that I'd have to add. Now that I think of it, it would have to be close to 700 materials that I have to add. ... the script only makes sure that the ingame description is "this is a statue of a bear/giraffe/whatever", not the actual graphics. I'd have to assign them manually for each one.

Like this:
[OVERRIDE:234:B:STATUE:Statue::_MDF_overrides_7:199::::INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY_DOG]
[OVERRIDE:234:I:STATUE:STATUE::_MDF_overrides_7:199::::INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY_DOG]

[OVERRIDE:234:B:STATUE:Statue::_MDF_overrides_7:199::::INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY_CAT]
[OVERRIDE:234:I:STATUE:STATUE::_MDF_overrides_7:199::::INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY_CAT]

Then add:

[INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY_DOG]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:stuffed dog]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:199]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[IS_STONE][MELTING_POINT:16507][BOILING_POINT:18000]

[INORGANIC:TAXIDERMY_CAT]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STONE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:stuffed cat]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:7:7:1][TILE:199]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[IS_STONE][MELTING_POINT:16507][BOILING_POINT:18000]

The value I could alter, so that larger, more dangerous animals/trophies are worth more. So... I guess pet value can affect the statue value, but only by adding it manually.

Edit: Mh, a big project, but totally feasable. And easily portable to other tilesets that have creature sprites, because putting them on pedestals and changing the hue is not a lot of work.

EpicMadness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

that'd make it worth it, now to wait for other people's feedback.  8)

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile

the golden floor is a little hard on the eye.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

the golden floor is a little hard on the eye.
not the first person to mention it. Added to my list of things to improve.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Tried a new Dwarf fort with animations activated, the game seems stable so far besides one lone crash at the embark screen. I did not play for a while so I'm enjoying the small changes on the set, it seems easier to read overall.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 187