Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: ASOF (Game Thread) Day 1-Jao is useful  (Read 29478 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Caern shrugged in a way that looked comically exaggerated for someone with shoulders as wide as his. "A clue's better than no clue. Like I said, I don't join turf wars that easy. I like knowin' right from wrong."
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-I've got a shadow bridge to sell you
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2017, 03:47:51 am »

Wen-Tsu cocked her head at the frogman.
"What makes the Wa-pun-go so bad, Mr Frog? If they aren't evil shadow snakes - brr! - I'm sure they can't be too awful."
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Almost time for a scene transition!
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2017, 10:09:15 am »

"Wapungo fight and kill Wapuny! Grik lost father, and fourteen brothers and sisters, and twenty-six cousins in war. They kill him too if they see him. They kill you too!

Wapungo want to steal the power of the Fallen Star to take over whole island. Very bad. No one knows what it is. Wapuny want to protect it...and praise it, keep power only to the Big Hats.

Grik not fight, since looking for other answers. He agrees to not knowing what it is, but I'm not sure it's good or bad...think shadow-lady was lying...star had to come from something on island. Very little chance it fell randomly! Must be secret of old people, but Griks people don't believe him...tell him to go  away...get lost!"
He says.

"Look what Grik was finding, long before you found him."

Grik reaches into his bag and presents Wen-Tsu with a small slab of old rock. It immediately strikes her, that it was probably the keystone to an arch-at least, that is her best guess, due to it's cone-like shape.

The stones weathered face depicts an interesting image, engraved deeply and with some apparent skill-sadly, it lacks any pigments or ornaments it once had-surely the empty fittings were once filled with brilliantly set gemstones...

She takes a close look.

A sphere-shape with lines spiraling out in a corona, shines down a cone on a regal, lizardy looking figure standing at the top of a pyramid like structure. The Lizardy-looking being is definitely true-Draconic, not like Grik-it's wearing fancy robes with engraved stone feathers, and holding up the center of the image-being a very long, spiked rod, tipped with a four-sided shape. The same lines that spiral from the sphere in the sky above the figure, spiral out from the tip of the rod.

The pyramid itself has four tiers-the rod wielder stands alone at the top, and below him are four similar figures clad only slightly lesser than himself. The attention to detail is nearly the same, with each figure being given equal space-as if the artist was terrified of offending any of them.

Below them, a dozen of the lizardy-beings with few particular markings-she notes they are wielding, in order from left to right-a whip, a sword, a spear and net, a pitchfork and a scythe, a shield with a hammer, an icon of a spider, a pair of stoppered jugs, nothing (this figure seems to be dressed in fancy robes alone), a miners pick, an icon of a fish..man, with wings..? (Something about that icon unsettles her), an oar (or maybe some sort of ritual club..? It's got some lines coming from it that could be waves, or perhaps related to the image of the rod in some way), and a chisel. The line of figures is also slightly tilted, so that the being on the right is always slighter higher than the being to his left.

And below them, there is merely a poorly rendered image of a huddled mass-one side depicts mere humans, the other frog-like beings similar to Grik. They are all bound together with one massive chain, staring up in adoration at their masters above them.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 02:55:15 pm by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Star once Fallen (Game Thread) Day 1-Behold the Plot Rock
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2017, 02:50:28 pm »

"Nobility and their usual stuff." Caern commented derisively after getting closer to take a look.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 13, 2017, 06:49:09 pm »

The moon rabbit pondered the rock for a while. Her ears started to droop as she tapped her chin.
"Does the fish-thing kind of... make you think of Anders? A tiny bit."
Not very nice, but it was true. Something about it was...
"Anyway! It's an old rock, so who knows what it really means? We certainly don't! Well, I don't. Oh, Mr Frog! The Star might not have fallen randomly, but it might not have come from the island. MAybe it was called with their stick-thing here." She poked at the staff heald aloft on the mural.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 13, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »

"All I can tell is it's look like some leaders doing their thing. Religious leaders too, I guess. High priests or somethin'." Caern suggested, starting to stretch and flex to recover from the sharp drop in adrenaline after combat ended. "Can anyone ask the little thing where they found this?"
>Yes?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 14, 2017, 09:53:00 am »

"Found the rock buried in the ground, North of my village, burp! If you glorp far North, burp the cliffs, you find belch, old peoples city. Grik hasn't found a way up the cliffs yet...burp."

The other members of the party recall the map Grik drew...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 14, 2017, 01:07:35 pm »

The moon rabbit pondered the rock for a while. Her ears started to droop as she tapped her chin.
"Does the fish-thing kind of... make you think of Anders? A tiny bit."
Not very nice, but it was true. Something about it was...

"It does remind of some of my mother's other children... Not I, not just yet," Anders said offhandedly, looking intently at the engraving. He'd wished the woman had stayed long enough for his father's commentary to congeal into something other than flickers of madness, but he was confident he'd have another chance to meet the woman.

The engraving was of cursory interest to him, though he expected the others would make more of it than was strictly necessary. His priority at the moment was the bright little soulspark he still cradled in his mind. He had an idea for it.

An interesting idea.

There was something warm and terribly familiar about the little bit of Caern that Anders' carried, tiny pieces of it that reminded him of something that he used to be, and something that he never wanted to be again. Anders' closed his eyes and listened inside of himself, not for the whispers of his father, but for the echoes where Caern's soul resonated with tiny shards of whatever humanity Anders  had left behind.

Anders' pulled at his own soul, using Caern's warm little soul to find the bits of him that remembered being human, and he tore them free. When free, he pushed the tender little sparks of humanity back into Caern. Who knew, it might help the phantasm.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 15, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »

Every time the amphibious creature began belching and derping, Caern had no choice but to wait for a translation by Jao. Weren't it for the recent events, he'd start thinking that strange language was some kind of elaborate joke. After Jao had given the party a rough translation, the half-golem crossed his arms once more. "How 'bout we check that?" he might not be the smartest member of the group, but he wasn't too happy about the prospect of using deadly force against other people (or sentient beings) without a good reason to.

Meanwhile, Illusion Caern stretched and sighed. "Ya know, the longer I stay 'round, the harder it'll be to leave. How should I go back? Think about it, hit mys-him?" He asked, trying to make a conscious effort to merge back into the original.
>Yes?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 15, 2017, 06:03:02 pm »

"I think we should visit Aisha first. I'm interested in talking to her and her mistress."
She looked at her various beefy and burly companions.
"Even if it's a trap, we'll give 'em the old one-two! Well, you will, at any rate."
She boxed the air in a display of very poor fighting stance but commendable enthusiasm.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 15, 2017, 10:31:07 pm »

Moubu rolled his shoulders in an expansive shrug. "Aye. Whether or not there's more going on here then the creepy shadow woman would tell us, it seems like the best bet for more information would be to go to her."

Moubu looked up at the newly unshadowed sky, judging the time and direction that they would need to head in as he casually started trying to wipe away some of the mud from his armor. Turning to Grik he said "I'm sure you probably don't want us to go near the Wapungo, as dangerous and evil as they are. But it sounds like that's where we need to head if we're to get quick answers. If you don't want to come with us, will you be able to get back to your home safely alone?""

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 16, 2017, 09:12:54 pm »

"Even if it's a trap, we'll give 'em the old one-two! Well, you will, at any rate."
She boxed the air in a display of very poor fighting stance but commendable enthusiasm.

"You could use better form, but that's mighty good spirit!" Caern replied, uppercutting the air and shadowboxing briefly with renewed enthusiasm. "Not that my form's any good either. I mostly hit things."

Illusion Caern would have done the same thing weren't he too busy making a face of concentration—that looked like one of constipation—in an attempt to dissolve back into his original body.
>Yes?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 17, 2017, 03:25:25 am »

Wen-tsu struck a pose at the praise.
"Mighty moon rabbit, that's me. So are you coming with us, Mr Frog? Um, burp ribbit ribbit blargh?"

lawastooshort

• Bay Watcher
  • goodness what
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 17, 2017, 04:59:54 pm »

"I think we should visit Aisha first. I'm interested in talking to her and her mistress."

Father Jao suddenly remembered what he was doing, and looked with what was either distaste or a horrified repressed flashback at Caern's illusion's face. He turned to the Mighty moon rabbit.

"Yes. I too am interested in... visiting this Aisha. And furthermore and what is further, I think that - nay, my deity decrees! that doing this helping thing is the correct thing to do. We should help, yes. Stop this badness. Yo sir. Grik, kind friend. Wilt thou cometh with us, to adventure and fame? I cannot emphasise enough the great number of ladyfrogs that will stand (or not) in awe before you, should you save the world with us. Yet - if you flee, and somehow this comes to jeapordise our saving of the world, the Magnificent Garl should be quite displeased, I warn you in advance. Now, who would like a morale-warming joke before we advance? Or perhaps a song? Or to touch my Golden Swede? I will allow it for no payment, this time."

I... er... are we moving on then? To Glory?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 17, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »

Wen-tsu struck a pose at the praise.
"Mighty moon rabbit, that's me. So are you coming with us, Mr Frog? Um, burp ribbit ribbit blargh?"
Moubu rolled his shoulders in an expansive shrug. "Aye. Whether or not there's more going on here then the creepy shadow woman would tell us, it seems like the best bet for more information would be to go to her."

Moubu looked up at the newly unshadowed sky, judging the time and direction that they would need to head in as he casually started trying to wipe away some of the mud from his armor. Turning to Grik he said "I'm sure you probably don't want us to go near the Wapungo, as dangerous and evil as they are. But it sounds like that's where we need to head if we're to get quick answers. If you don't want to come with us, will you be able to get back to your home safely alone?""

Grik seems a bit downcast, perhaps more than a bit, but he puts on a brave face.

"Burp! ...Grik will not follow you all the way...they would attack him, and you for being with him, but without they might let you be. He will help you get up the river, though! Will help, to pay you back for saving him.

As for home, he must now wait a little longer, keep looking for answers. Without his answers, or your swords and strength to offer, he could not go back-the Bighats would drive him away, or kill him maybe."
He says, turning away.

Anders' pulled at his own soul, using Caern's warm little soul to find the bits of him that remembered being human, and he tore them free. When free, he pushed the tender little sparks of humanity back into Caern. Who knew, it might help the phantasm.

Anders detaches the Phantom, channeling as much as his own remaining humanity as he can...it's amazingly resilient, for so small a thing. Of course, losing ones humanity tends to go easier the further you go. Anders briefly falls into a trance like state, dredging up memories of a dream he has often had. It has always helped when divesting himself like this...or freeing himself, depending on your point of view.

Anders opens his eyes. Frowns. It's not all gone...not yet...that helped, though. He feels clearer in his purpose, insofar as he can be said to feel anything at all.

Like his father, he must use one gentle push at a time, lest he dissolve before he finds his purpose. Chaos needs orders to breed chaos...irony. He may be amused (may) that he can still understand irony...or, perhaps he is meant for something greater. To know both worlds?

Every time the amphibious creature began belching and derping, Caern had no choice but to wait for a translation by Jao. Weren't it for the recent events, he'd start thinking that strange language was some kind of elaborate joke. After Jao had given the party a rough translation, the half-golem crossed his arms once more. "How 'bout we check that?" he might not be the smartest member of the group, but he wasn't too happy about the prospect of using deadly force against other people (or sentient beings) without a good reason to.

Meanwhile, Illusion Caern stretched and sighed. "Ya know, the longer I stay 'round, the harder it'll be to leave. How should I go back? Think about it, hit mys-him?" He asked, trying to make a conscious effort to merge back into the original.

Feeling...detachment...followed by the fear of dissolution...and, then comfort. Taking hold of his 'brothers' hand is divinely solid, a pure joy.The 'illusion' Caern, for his own time, was as alive as anything. He does not feel the sting of death as he merges, nor the pain of erasure. He only feels like coming home, for a soul always know the way back to its bones.

And now, he and he are merely one, again. Caern now has...two sets of memories...very strange, but not at all bad. Surely not as strange as some people.

Father Jao suddenly remembered what he was doing, and looked with what was either distaste or a horrified repressed flashback at Caern's illusion's face. He turned to the Mighty moon rabbit.

"Yes. I too am interested in... visiting this Aisha. And furthermore and what is further, I think that - nay, my deity decrees! that doing this helping thing is the correct thing to do. We should help, yes. Stop this badness. Yo sir. Grik, kind friend. Wilt thou cometh with us, to adventure and fame? I cannot emphasise enough the great number of ladyfrogs that will stand (or not) in awe before you, should you save the world with us. Yet - if you flee, and somehow this comes to jeapordise our saving of the world, the Magnificent Garl should be quite displeased, I warn you in advance. Now, who would like a morale-warming joke before we advance? Or perhaps a song? Or to touch my Golden Swede? I will allow it for no payment, this time."

I... er... are we moving on then? To Glory?

Grik rubs his chin, probably something he picked up from Jao, seeing as his lacks facial hair.

"Grik has long wanted to adventure...yet, you are right, he and we must end this war. So he may leave here, in body and soul...but, he cannot follow you to the Wapungo-his heart...Griks heart...burns with hatred for them, and they for him. He will wait for you, hide away, until you return to the river. Do what you must do, and he will follow...he is not very useful though...very small hands. Not brave or strong. Knows much, but knows little. You still wish for him to follow?"

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23